Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #76
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

The next morning, we arrived at DHS early. We rode TSM 2 times, I then convinced DH to ride ToT with me - he liked the theming, but thought he was going to die during the drops and I rode RnRC alone.

After that, we went to Starring Rolls for a snack. Now, as much as I wanted to try something new, I couldn't bring myself to stray from my beloved red velvet cupcake, which is much more appealing to me than the butterfinger or chocolate-pb cupcakes.

Once cut in half.

It was as moist and delicious as last year! The frosting is smooth and there was a good taste of cream cheese in there. Instant sugar rush! We tried other cupcakes and this remains for me at the top. It's not DH's favorite (not enough chocolate for him) but he gladly shares with me and finishes my half, too...

Later on, we had a late lunch ADR at Mama Melrose.

We checked in a little early and were seated within a couple of minutes in a booth at the back of the restaurant.

The menu

It was not too loud in there and I loved the decor with the string lights and the mis-matching fixtures. The server we had here was really efficient and our glasses of water were promptly refilled.

I started with a cocktail.

This is Mama's Margarita. It was nice and strong. I really liked the orange taste in this.

Bread service

These are just standard rolls, but were served hot, a plus for DH.

Peppered oil

Meh. This was lacking in flavor. Not great.

I knew ahead of time what I was going to order: Mama's antipasto for two.

I did not get an exact description for these meats and cheese. I would say prosciutto - good, dry salami - good, capicollo-type ham - good and a little spicy. The black olive were standard, DH liked the hot peppers, I did not taste them. The bocconcini balls were marinated in a pesto-like herb mix, which greatly enhanced their flavor, I really enjoyed these. The pistachios were roasted and seasoned and were really good. The pickles were standard and a weird choice for an antipasto platter, I thought. The top cheese was hard and crumbly, salty and sharp. Really good. The bleu cheese was more creamier and had a nice kick. Really good, too. Overall, a nice plate, I would get it again.

DH got the Penne alla vodka with shrimp.

The shrimp were big, plump, juicy and perfectly cooked - really nice and delicious. Pasta was cooked al dente and DH liked the sauce although he said it lacked heat, but that was corrected using the red peppers from my plate.

I was a little scared going to this restaurant as the reviews are not all that positive, but we were satisfied of our lunch. It was not gourmet, but it was still a good value and we would come back.

Just before leaving we picked up a carrot cake cookie from Writer's Stop.

We munched on it for the next couple of days. For me, it was as good as last year, with plump raisins, moist cake and nice cream cheese frosting. However, DH, who is not a fan of carrot cake usually, did not like as much this year. That didn't stop him from eating more than half, though... So I guess it was not bad!
nanienamou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #77
jmm476
DIS Veteran

Enjoying the reviews. It's nice to see a decent review of Mama Melrose's. It gets such mixed reviews here, I'm always on the fence about trying it myself...
WDW Commando Member #75

No trip planned right now

My first dining review! Jan 2011
jmm476 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #78
xkaittloveex
Mouseketeer

Mmmmmm...cupcakes! The chocolate peanut butter one is my ultimate bliss!

That pasta and shrimp looks delicious!
xkaittloveex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #79
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm476 View Post
Enjoying the reviews. It's nice to see a decent review of Mama Melrose's. It gets such mixed reviews here, I'm always on the fence about trying it myself...
Thank you for reading along! We were totally satisfied about our meal at MM.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #80
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkaittloveex View Post
Mmmmmm...cupcakes! The chocolate peanut butter one is my ultimate bliss!

That pasta and shrimp looks delicious!
I can see that cupcake as a chocolate lover's delight!

The pasta was a big portion and DH really liked it!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #81
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

After a nap, we were ready to head out to Epcot for our second round of Food and Wine!

Since we entered via the International Gateway, we started to our right, in France. First, we got the Coq au vin sur gratin de macaroni.

This does not photograph well... We had this dish last year and it was nice. This year, I'm thinking it was sitting out under a lamp for a while, the macaroni was a congealed hard puck. The meat underneath the thick sauce was still tender, but a part of it was dried out. Such a shame, since this is a good dish and a huge portion, but it has to be served fresh, please!

This is the Eiffel Sour Cosmo Slush, which tasted the same as last year. If you like not-to-sweet slush drinks, this is for you. It goes down really well.

Next booth where we stopped was Belgium. We got the Belgian waffle with berry compote and whipped cream.

Ah, this was good. We don't eat waffles often, we make crepes at home, so we were eager to try this. The waffle was better than the Sleepy Hollow one, because it had a crisper exterior, which was a fantastic texture contrast with the softer, moist interior. The berry compote was good, but we scraped off the cream, since DH is not a huge fan and it gets me sick.

I also bought a Godiva chocolate liqueur iced coffee for DH. I did not taste it, but DH assured me that it was creamy, chocolaty but not very coffee tasting, just like last year. He liked this a lot.

At the Florida Local booth, we got both food selections.

First the Florida Shrimp Ceviche with fire-roasted vegetables, fried plantains and cilantro.

It's a tiny dish but it packed major flavor. The cilantro was prominent, but I love this herb so it was not a problem. DH, however, thought it overpowered the dish and he would have liked a little heat. The plantain was soft and soggy, so not a hit. The shrimp had a nice texture. I would get this again.

Second, the White Corn Arepa with mangalitsa pork rillette and zellwood sweet corn salad. Sorry for the unfocused pic.

We make a kind of shepherd's pie at home with layered ground pork, corn and mashed potatoes and when DH tasted this dish, this is what came to mind instantly. It was our first time tasting arepa and it had a mild flavor, with a little crispiness on the outside. The corn salad was fresh and really good. We prefer duck rillette over pork, but this one was still good. It was spread ion the inside of the arepa. An interesting dish, all in all.

To wash this food down, I also selected the Florida Orange Groves Key Limen wine.

This is a light and refreshing wine that is really easy to drink even if you're not a wine fan. A good pick with the ceviche.

Next stop was Italy, for a cannoli al cioccolato and a flute of Prosecco Zardetto.

The Prosecco is a nice white bubbly wine that is on the dry side. You can't go wrong with this if you want something light. My bubbles...

The filling was really good, but the shell was a bit soggy underneath the chocolate. I'm thinking it was not freshly made, sadly. DH still liked it.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #82
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

At the Poland booth, we tried the Zapiekanki (toasted mushrooms, caramelized onions and cheese bread with house-made ketchup).

This was really nice! It made me think of pizza bread. The bread part was hot and fresh, with a nice layer of cheesy mushrooms and onions. The ketchup part I would describe more as a glaze, almost with a light pizza sauce taste. Very good!

We then reached the line for South Africa, where I went for the protein choice: Seared filet of beef with smashed sweet potatoes and Braai sauce.

I prefer my meat on the rare side, this was a medium or maybe a medium rare, but it was still really tender and juicy.

I'm not a huge fan of sweet potatoes, but they were nice with the sauce and the filet. I'm suspecting that the sauce was a little under-spiced to please the masses, and it had a tomato and sweet side, but it was not unpleasant. A nice choice and a lean and tasty piece of meat (which is more than I can say for Canada's filet... more on that later...)

Arriving at the China booth, we decided on the Mango Tapioca Pudding.

We fought for this, it was delicious. Nice creamy custardy pudding with big tapioca pearls. The mango added a nice touch of tartness. It was an awesome combination. Very, very good.

I also went for the Sunny Guava with coconut rum.

This I did not like at all. It was sugary and "soapy" in taste and I could not detect any coconut flavor at all. However, DH, to my surprise, drank it all and found it super good and tasty.

Last booth for the night - Mexico. We got the crispy shrimp taco.

Very good, fresh and not too greasy for fried shrimp. I liked the sauces and the cabbage. The tortilla was soft, too. A great choice!

Finally, I also got the Lime-strawberry margarita on the rocks.

I was a little sad since this not come with a salted rim. However, it was awesome. Not too sweet, and the strawberry taste went really well with the lime. I was just a little mad at DH since he drank almost all of it while I was buying myself a sweatshirt since I was freezing. He doesn't even like margaritas usually!

We then enjoyed some rides in Future World and while walking back to the exit, we stopped at the Boulangerie pâtisserie for a snack. We had a ham and cheese croissant toasted.

This was as good as we remembered. This is a great value, was fresh and tasty and a great finish to the night.

We also got a crème brûlée for the next morning.

I really like these. Nice crunchy top, smooth custard, the breakfast of champions!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #83
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Everything sounds wonderful! Congratulations on 15 years!!

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #84
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Your most recent updates are overwhelming me with deliciousness. I want to try every single one of those dishes - F&W is an absolute must for me one day!
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #85
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Finally joining in over here!! I'm sorry your service and goat cheese Ravioli at CG were underwhelming! Our Goat cheese ravioli was splendid!! In Fact CG was one of our best meals!!

Love your F&W samplings... We enjoyed some of the same but sadly we never got around to all the booths.
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #86
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysmom View Post
Everything sounds wonderful! Congratulations on 15 years!!
Thank you! It was an awesome trip!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #87
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Your most recent updates are overwhelming me with deliciousness. I want to try every single one of those dishes - F&W is an absolute must for me one day!
I love the festival! Trying to convince DH for next year!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #88
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
Finally joining in over here!! I'm sorry your service and goat cheese Ravioli at CG were underwhelming! Our Goat cheese ravioli was splendid!! In Fact CG was one of our best meals!!

Love your F&W samplings... We enjoyed some of the same but sadly we never got around to all the booths.
Thank you for reading along! I've read many great reviews of CG, that's why we would give it another shot.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #89
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Today was our MNSSHP day, so we slept in and had nothing planned until our ADR at Garden View Lounge. We made our way to the Grand Floridian and explored a bit. Very nice resort! It was calm and peaceful.

After we checked in, we were told to sit in the lobby and a server would come get us when our table was ready. We waited about 10 minutes before we were taken to our table. The tables are really tiny here! It's beautiful and sunny. There are not many tables and it's quiet.

DH had the Buckingham Tea - Our traditional tea sandwiches, scones and jam tarts complemented by fresh strawberries and cream, or a selection of freshly baked pastries, along with your choice of tea. $23.00 per guest.

However, not being a tea drinker, he asked if he could have coffee instead and had no problem whatsoever. First, i thought they would bring him a cup, but the server brought him a French press so DH was overjoyed. The coffee here is Colombian black.

The coffee...

DH's sandwiches...

There is a wedge of each: cucumber, pear and gorgonzola, curry chicken, egg and salmon. These were fresh as the bread was not dried out, which happens quite quickly with this kind of bread. The filling we preferred was the salmon, it was mixed with a old-fashioned mustard with seeds that was really good. The curry chicken was also delicious. The egg and cucumber ones were good, but less interesting. We both also appreciated the pear and gorgonzola one. DH raved about the onion tart, the onions were perfectly caramelized and on the sweet side.

I went with the Price Edward Tea - A delicious array of duck and cherry terrine, chicken and pork roulade, country pate en croute, and English Blue Stilton, the "King" of English cheeses. Served with marinated fresh berries, and Cumberland sauce. We then offer our delicious fresh-baked scones served with rich Devonshire cream. Your choice of our tea with a glass of our Fonseca Bin 27 Character Port. $24.50 per guest.

My tea - the Mad Hatter blend - very good.

Port... Also very good, especially with the cheese.

Plate of pâtés and cheese

I know the server explained to me that there were some duck, some chicken and some pork pâtés and terrines, but I can't remember which was which. But I can say that they were very good and paired really well with the berry sauce. Both cheese were on the stronger side, nice and tangy. It was a big serving and a beautiful plate if you like charcuterie.

DH's scone and jam tart

Yes, he had cut in the scone before taking a picture. DH loved the scone, even tough he is not usually fond of raisins. He found the tart a little too sweet, but I thinks this is more because of his personal taste. I had a bite and loved it.

My scones with lemon curd

Again, I had started to eat before taking the pic. The lemon curd was delicious and tart, the Devonshire cream is so decadent. I tried to resist it by fear of being sick, but its so good. DH had to finish both my plates, it was too much food.

DH then had a selection of pastries.

He picked an eclair and a chocolate-covered strawberry. The strawberry was nice, ripe and sweet. The eclair was good and fresh. These are DH's comments as I did not try them.

It was a nice and relaxing experience. We were there for about 90 minutes, we were not rushed, the service was good. I would not hesitate to do this again.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #90
wdwloverz
Tigger, is that you??

Oh my GOODNESS! Those tea room pics looked so yummy to me, I just tried to make a reservation for when we are going to be there.. No luck
I am gonna keep trying!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: