Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
debpintrader
Earning My Ears

Bringing CPAP machine on board

Hi,
First Cruise for us coming up in November to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary so I have lots of questions!! Going on the Fantasy for 7 days to Western Caribbean.

An important question I have is about bringing my CPAP machine on the ship for my Sleep Apnea. I need to use Distilled water in the humidifier and guess I will need at least a gallon jug. May I bring the water on board myself, or is there a place that I can get it once on the ship?

Also, I've heard that there could be electrical outlet shortage. Can you tell me what length extension cord would be a good one to pack?

Thanks!!
debpintrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
HsvTeacher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debpintrader View Post
Hi,
First Cruise for us coming up in November to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary so I have lots of questions!! Going on the Fantasy for 7 days to Western Caribbean.

An important question I have is about bringing my CPAP machine on the ship for my Sleep Apnea. I need to use Distilled water in the humidifier and guess I will need at least a gallon jug. May I bring the water on board myself, or is there a place that I can get it once on the ship?

Also, I've heard that there could be electrical outlet shortage. Can you tell me what length extension cord would be a good one to pack?

Thanks!!
My DH also uses a CPAP machine. He gets a gallon of distilled water from Guest Services. (You can also call ahead of time and let them know what you will need.) You can also bring one on board yourself, but we thought that was too much of a hassle to lug around.

As for extension cords, he didn't need one on the Fantasy, because there are electrical outlets next to the bed. (Not the case on the Magic and Wonder) We did bring a power strip to use at the desk, but we never had to use it.
Once a Year from 1992-1997-Off Site*September 2008-ASMu*March 2009-POP *May 2009-SSR and AKV Kidani*June 2009-Vero Beach*October 2009-AKV Kidani*May 2010-AKV Kidani*June 2010-Vero Beach*June 2010-AKV Kidani*July 2010-SSR*October 2010-SSR*December 2010-Swan*December 2010-DCL Wonder*December 2010-AKL CL Jambo*April 2011-VWL*May 2011-My Sister's House*June 2011-BCV and BLT*June 2012-AKL CL Jambo*June 2012-DCL Fantasy*June 2012-AKV Kidani*July 2013-SSR*March 2014-AKV Kidani

(Me) (DH) * DVC Members (AKV) Since February 2009

Last edited by HsvTeacher; 07-15-2012 at 02:16 PM.
HsvTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

If you complete the special needs form in advance, the distilled water will be in your stateroom when you board. As to extension cords, they are needed on the Magic and Wonder; on the Fantasy and Dream there are outlets near the bed. DCL will loan you an extension cord with a $50 charge if it is not returned...or you are welcome to bring you own. But on the newer ships, you won't need it.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
valbob89
DIS Veteran

I've brought mine along on several cruises. On Wonder and Magic, there's not a lot of space for setting up a CPAP on the nightstands; don't know about the other ships. I have a somewhat compact model that fits in the drawer during the day. I always bring a 15-foot extension cord, which is more than enough. Best to have a cord with multiple outlets and not a grounded plug -- allows room for other things to be plugged in (battery chargers, etc.).

If you are flying, you must have an empty tank if you carry the cpap with you -- and I advise against checking it with or as luggage. You can have a medical bag in addition to the airlines' carry-on limit by FAA regs. You will not be allowed to carry the jug of water, but the ship will provide one. Disney is very accomodating for everything. If, for example, you have any problem with the bed or bedding, extra pillows, or even getting the air conditioning tuned up, they are great.

Bon voyage! ---bob
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
debpintrader
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. I'm so glad to know that I don't have to lug the gallon jug of water along!
Debbie
debpintrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
WDW Enabler
Founding Father of the HARDHAT BRIGADE

extension cord

You can go to guest services and request an extension cord. Be sure to let them know it is for your CPAP.

Proud father of 1 Disney FANATIC, and husband to an even bigger Disney FANATIC.
Proud Disney "Verteran of the day" three times, and owner of the flag flown over the Magic Kingdom on March 27th 2008.

Founding father of the "Hardhat Brigade", a growing group of enternal fun loving Disney fanatics who ...... wait the surprise is coming....... Wear lime-green hardhats with Mickey ears....

Applications now being accepted. Apply within
WDW Enabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
canopynut66
DIS Veteran

not sure if would work same way but I am on oxygen concentrator at night and when I go to WDW I just call my provider here and they make all arrangements in Orlando and deliver a machine to resort I am going to. at home I by state law need liquid oxygen in case of power failure but at WDW they on generator if power goes out or is what I was told . they bring the water and the machine and whole tubing kit.Now if they would deliver to a cruise ship have no idea but call your home provider and check it out.

Last edited by canopynut66; 07-15-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: correct
canopynut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Donald_Quackers
Quacktastic!

I just got diagnosed in June with very severe apnea, brought my machine with me to WDW. On my last cruise, one of our group had a similar situation and they had the water waiting in the room.

Disney is all over it. Even if you don't let them know in advance, they are good about requests of that nature.

Apr '12 -- Disney Fantasy 7 Nights
Dec '10 -- Disney Magic 7 Nights/4 nights @ POFQ
Dec '08 -- Disney Wonder 4 Nights/2 nights @ Pop Cent. / Dec '07 -- Coronado Springs
Dec '04, '05 / Oct '03 -- Off Site/Vacation Home
Sleep Apnea diagnosed June 2012
Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!
Donald_Quackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
MTmomma
DIS Veteran

It is very dangerous to use a power strip without a ground wire while using a CPAP or any other medical device.
As CPAP machines use both water and electricity together, if a fault happens in the machine, the ground will assist in safely cutting power to the machine and protect the user.
Obviously the cruise ship does not have a "true" ground, and any electrical discharge through the ground fault transfers through the hull (on a metal hulled ship) without harming anyone.
By using an ungrounded power strip or extension cord, you are putting your lives in danger as a Ground Fault Circuit Interuptor or a Residual Current Device will offer no protection to a user when there is no ground wire present.
My mom uses a CPAP, and uses an appliance grade extension cord (yes it it overkill, but its safer) when traveling with her machine.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
staxia
Mouseketeer

Just off the Wonder last month, and called ahead and got a gallon of distilled. Just after we got in our room at 2 pm, and dropped our stuff, we were leaving and saw a stateroom host heading our way with a gallon of water... it was for me, had our room number written on it and everything.

I will admit, when calling at first, I had to convince the operator on the phone that I needed straight up distilled water because this was a medical device. She told me I could buy bottled water on the ship from the shop and use it... once I got her to understand that ANYTHING added to the water could be vaporized and harmful to me, she quickly put in the order for the distilled.

Family & friends, old & young, Disney's fun for everyone!
staxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you complete the special needs form in advance, the distilled water will be in your stateroom when you board
Where is the special needs form? I booked already through a TA so would it be too late to fill out the form? Or can I find it on the site?
Old 09-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
kristinfly2
Mouseketeer

I just called DCL and told them about DHs cpap. The cm knew all about them and was very helpful! I also asked her questions about bringing our youngest DD nebulizer but she had no idea what I was talking about!
kristinfly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinfly2
I just called DCL and told them about DHs cpap. The cm knew all about them and was very helpful! I also asked her questions about bringing our youngest DD nebulizer but she had no idea what I was talking about!
We just brought my ds's nebulizer, can I help answer something?

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
Where is the special needs form? I booked already through a TA so would it be too late to fill out the form? Or can I find it on the site?
The form is on the DCL web site. Your TA can also call and have the notation added to the reservation. It works either way.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #15
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
The form is on the DCL web site. Your TA can also call and have the notation added to the reservation. It works either way.
Where is it? I'm not seeing it. Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: