Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #121
Deffenm
DIS Veteran

I was able to pick up a few stocking stuffers for my DD at the Target toy clearance. So I can say I officially started shopping.
DD (10)

May 2005 - AsMov
Sept. 2006 - POP
Sept. 2007 - POR
Aug. 2008 - AKL
June. 2010 - CBR (Grand Gathering)
April 2012 - POP
Oct. 2014 - POP
Deffenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #122
ah1126
DIS Veteran

I found a Disney Baby play yard at my Targets clearance for around $4, and a Cars car for $3 something. My Target didn't have very much in their toy clearance, but shopping has started!
ah1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #123
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

I haven't had a chance to read all the posts, but I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking about Christmas already!

I have gotten two boxes of awesome clearance stuff from disneyshopping, including some t-shirts for our Feb.'13 (hopefully) trip.
I also got an AG doll for my dd6 on Ebay, which I was thrilled about.
I've had the kids pick out some stuff on amazon and wish list it.
Then I'm trying to occasionally pick up a couple of things.

My teen boys are the ones who are the hardest to buy for.
They might get money toward a bigger purchase they are saving for (for example, and iPod touch). But I still need some stuff for them to open. You can only get so many lego sets and wii games (not to mention...YOW, are those both expensive!)

I have eight kids...so budget is my middle name! LOL
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #124
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Hey girls...just wanted to say>>>Can you believe it's AUGUST!!!?? As early of a Christmas shopper as I usually am,..I am probably not gonna start until Sept...We have a ton of things going on this month~ I know lots of y'all do too,..back to school shopping, getting kids on a NOT summer schedule...but keep posting those great finds and what your planning on buying...we are all on the lookout for a good deal and something different!
When it is NOT over a hundred degrees here with the real feel, I will start posting some recipes and ideas for the goodie baskets we make...but it's too hot for me to think about right now!

Disney Mommy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #125
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom5 View Post
I haven't had a chance to read all the posts, but I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking about Christmas already!

I have gotten two boxes of awesome clearance stuff from disneyshopping, including some t-shirts for our Feb.'13 (hopefully) trip.
I also got an AG doll for my dd6 on Ebay, which I was thrilled about.
I've had the kids pick out some stuff on amazon and wish list it.
Then I'm trying to occasionally pick up a couple of things.

My teen boys are the ones who are the hardest to buy for.
They might get money toward a bigger purchase they are saving for (for example, and iPod touch). But I still need some stuff for them to open. You can only get so many lego sets and wii games (not to mention...YOW, are those both expensive!)

I have eight kids...so budget is my middle name! LOL
Welcome Aboard!! Yep,..you do have to be frugal!! Hopefully you will get some good ideas,....what about books? I remember one year, when I was around 8 or so, my Granny bought all of us classic books and I was thrilled!! I have been a BOOKWORM my whole life!! She bought me Heidi and The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew....I still have those, even though I don't have her anymore...I try to get books for baby shower gifts and toddler birthdays (love those little board books!!) ...also, most of our kids' friends get a book for their bday from us as some point! Just a thought if you have any book lovers!

Old 08-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #126
princesscate
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy 3

Welcome Aboard!! Yep,..you do have to be frugal!! Hopefully you will get some good ideas,....what about books? I remember one year, when I was around 8 or so, my Granny bought all of us classic books and I was thrilled!! I have been a BOOKWORM my whole life!! She bought me Heidi and The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew....I still have those, even though I don't have her anymore...I try to get books for baby shower gifts and toddler birthdays (love those little board books!!) ...also, most of our kids' friends get a book for their bday from us as some point! Just a thought if you have any book lovers!
Oh Heidi is a great idea for DD! Don't know the pepper story ....

She loves her AG so she may get an outfit or perhaps a coupon for a trip to the store .... Of course that becomes $$$$$.

DD 8 still has baby nail clippers so I did get hello kitty ones for stocking since there's always a nail polish or two in there.

keep the ideas coming!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #127
Grammyof2
Best Woo Hootier that ever woo hootied
Prom Queen
I am MENSA

Location: Heading to midlife wearing my Levi's and flip flops

Hi all!

We have been "shopping" for months. My youngest who is 11 and I decided back in February to start working on gifts. We have been trying to think outside the box but to get really great gifts on a budget so we have had our eye out for awhile.

We got the grandparents all record-able books when we have seen them on sale ($5.00 each) and are having each of the grandkids read a page or two. My parents will love them and don't really need more things.

A few months ago Amazon had a VHS to DVD recorder on the deal of the day so we picked one up and have been converting our home movies to DVD for each family member. We picked up DVD's on sale for super cheap and will make a great gift for all the older kids. My kids are all grown but the youngest and this has been a really easy project and one I know everyone will appreciate.

We have two ongoing projects for the youngest 2 granddaughters, 2 and 4. We bought a ton of felt on sale at Joanne's back in April and have made every possible felt food we could think of. So very easy and just need to google felt food for ideas. We have done it watching TV at night. We decided on the food because we literally fell into a Melissa and Doug wooden kitchen sets on sale at a tiny store that was going out of business for $45. each. They sell for about $175 so we got a fantastic deal on 2 for $90. We love a sale.

We also started dress up trunks for the granddaughters. We have hit the sale racks in every store we enter and have picked up really nice dresses, coats, hats and shoes for nearly nothing. Much nicer than buying the dress up clothes they sell in stores. It is not to late to do this since we still find lots on the sale racks. We even bought dresses at a wedding shop during there sidewalk sale for $5.00. My husband found an old trunk and an old blanket chest on the side on the road for trash and we are painting them and putting the girls names on them. I know the girls will LOVE their gifts.

Wow this is longer than I thought but we have been shopping a while. Another really easy idea we did last year was to find a quarter for the birth year of everyone and my husband drilled a hole in it and added a keychain for a stocking stuffer. Just start checking your quarters.

Happy shopping. I will be watching for ideas We love Christmas!
Grammyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #128
Lil'Mermaid75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammyof2 View Post
Hi all!

We have been "shopping" for months. My youngest who is 11 and I decided back in February to start working on gifts. We have been trying to think outside the box but to get really great gifts on a budget so we have had our eye out for awhile.

We got the grandparents all record-able books when we have seen them on sale ($5.00 each) and are having each of the grandkids read a page or two. My parents will love them and don't really need more things.

A few months ago Amazon had a VHS to DVD recorder on the deal of the day so we picked one up and have been converting our home movies to DVD for each family member. We picked up DVD's on sale for super cheap and will make a great gift for all the older kids. My kids are all grown but the youngest and this has been a really easy project and one I know everyone will appreciate.

We have two ongoing projects for the youngest 2 granddaughters, 2 and 4. We bought a ton of felt on sale at Joanne's back in April and have made every possible felt food we could think of. So very easy and just need to google felt food for ideas. We have done it watching TV at night. We decided on the food because we literally fell into a Melissa and Doug wooden kitchen sets on sale at a tiny store that was going out of business for $45. each. They sell for about $175 so we got a fantastic deal on 2 for $90. We love a sale.

We also started dress up trunks for the granddaughters. We have hit the sale racks in every store we enter and have picked up really nice dresses, coats, hats and shoes for nearly nothing. Much nicer than buying the dress up clothes they sell in stores. It is not to late to do this since we still find lots on the sale racks. We even bought dresses at a wedding shop during there sidewalk sale for $5.00. My husband found an old trunk and an old blanket chest on the side on the road for trash and we are painting them and putting the girls names on them. I know the girls will LOVE their gifts.

Wow this is longer than I thought but we have been shopping a while. Another really easy idea we did last year was to find a quarter for the birth year of everyone and my husband drilled a hole in it and added a keychain for a stocking stuffer. Just start checking your quarters.

Happy shopping. I will be watching for ideas We love Christmas!
Those are some great ideas! I love the birthyear quarter idea. Might be a good one for my MIL who is on a really tight budget to do for the grandkids.
Lil'Mermaid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #129
Manders77
Mouseketeer

Hi ALL! We are leaving for Disney tonight/early this morning. Definitely buying some gifts there.
Manders77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #130
chewysmom
Mouseketeer

Hope you have a great trip Manders!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #131
Manders77
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewysmom View Post
Hope you have a great trip Manders!
Thank you! Cannot wait to leave.
Manders77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #132
Priorityonecb
DIS Veteran

I am trying to buy something each payday (I get paid once a week). Our oldest daughter (21-off at college) gave me her Christmas list a couple of weeks ago. Everything she asked for, plus a few surprises will be about $200.

I bought her...an original Playstation and original Spyro game (). Remington curling iron. Buddha Board. She also asked for money for clothes and Tom's. She always gives very sensible, inexpensive lists so I have to work a bit to add a bit of magic and surprise. Still working on that aspect.
Priorityonecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #133
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

I always see the summer Christmas shopping threads and get envious of all you organized prepared early shoppers! I'm really looking for ways to make Christmas overall less stressful and overwhelming this year!

I can happily say this is a first for me, shopping this early, but I have my
DD10's main shopping done. We went to the American Girl Store in Chicago two weeks ago and her eyes just lit up and I knew her wheels were turning. We looked around and while having lunch at the cafe, I asked her what her *wish* purchase would be. She told me it was McKenna, the Doll of the Year. I proposed to her to buy her and put it away for Christmas. She agreed. I went back and bought a lot of her clothes and accessories too since I know the Doll of the Year things may sell out the closer it gets to the holidays.

Of course there will still be a Santa gift, but she is so tween, I have no idea what she really wants. She needs nothing. So many of her friends are getting iPod touches, but she's happy with her Nano. She wears a uniform to school, so doesn't need a ton of clothes either. I'm at a loss. I'll be watching this thread to see what other girls her age wish for/get.

DD almost 15 is easy, she wants (and is getting to the point where she almost needs) a laptop. I have a Sony rewards card and thought I could perhaps get it with my points. I'm not even a 1/3 of the way there, lol.
I'll be searching for the best laptop for the best price between now and Christmas. That is ALL she will be getting.
(Black Friday is out for us since we travel over the Thanksgiving holiday)

DS17...hmmm...another one who wants and needs nothing.
Will be off to college next year, so perhaps some dorm stuff. Not very exciting.

We are going to Disney for Marathon Weekend in January, so they will all like Disney gift cards, which will be easy.

DH and I don't exchange gifts, we put the $ towards the Marathon Weekend which is fine with me!

We have some extended family and friends, neighbors we do gifts with, but beyond that, not much more, so I'll be looking for ideas for those gifts.

Since we travel for Thanksgiving almost every year, I'm always behind in decorating for the holidays over that weekend. My hopes are to have it done before we go which goes against my wish to let Thanksgiving be it's own holiday, but I think I'll break that rule this year.

Happy holiday planning!

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #134
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
I'll be searching for the best laptop for the best price between now and Christmas. That is ALL she will be getting.
Since Black Friday is out, maybe you could check out some Cyber Monday deals? You might be able to find a good laptop on sale that you could order.

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #135
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manders77 View Post
Hi ALL! We are leaving for Disney tonight/early this morning. Definitely buying some gifts there.

oh how fun!! Have a wonderful and safe trip!! We will be here when you get back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priorityonecb View Post
I am trying to buy something each payday (I get paid once a week). Our oldest daughter (21-off at college) gave me her Christmas list a couple of weeks ago. Everything she asked for, plus a few surprises will be about $200.

I bought her...an original Playstation and original Spyro game (). Remington curling iron. Buddha Board. She also asked for money for clothes and Tom's. She always gives very sensible, inexpensive lists so I have to work a bit to add a bit of magic and surprise. Still working on that aspect.
well...sounds like you have a great start for her!! I am sure you will find some great ideas for her here...does she like Vera Bradley? They have some really cute hanging organizers for makeup/hair and a new one for jewelry--since she's off at school and space is usually an issue...you can even take it and have it monogrammed somewhere..they had a few at our local store that are already on Clearance because the pattern is being retired...
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
I always see the summer Christmas shopping threads and get envious of all you organized prepared early shoppers! I'm really looking for ways to make Christmas overall less stressful and overwhelming this year!

I can happily say this is a first for me, shopping this early, but I have my
DD10's main shopping done. We went to the American Girl Store in Chicago two weeks ago and her eyes just lit up and I knew her wheels were turning. We looked around and while having lunch at the cafe, I asked her what her *wish* purchase would be. She told me it was McKenna, the Doll of the Year. I proposed to her to buy her and put it away for Christmas. She agreed. I went back and bought a lot of her clothes and accessories too since I know the Doll of the Year things may sell out the closer it gets to the holidays.

Of course there will still be a Santa gift, but she is so tween, I have no idea what she really wants. She needs nothing. So many of her friends are getting iPod touches, but she's happy with her Nano. She wears a uniform to school, so doesn't need a ton of clothes either. I'm at a loss. I'll be watching this thread to see what other girls her age wish for/get.

DD almost 15 is easy, she wants (and is getting to the point where she almost needs) a laptop. I have a Sony rewards card and thought I could perhaps get it with my points. I'm not even a 1/3 of the way there, lol.

DS17...hmmm...another one who wants and needs nothing.
Will be off to college next year, so perhaps some dorm stuff. Not very exciting.

We are going to Disney for Marathon Weekend in January, so they will all like Disney gift cards, which will be easy.

DH and I don't exchange gifts, we put the $ towards the Marathon Weekend which is fine with me!

We have some extended family and friends, neighbors we do gifts with, but beyond that, not much more, so I'll be looking for ideas for those gifts.

Since we travel for Thanksgiving almost every year, I'm always behind in decorating for the holidays over that weekend. My hopes are to have it done before we go which goes against my wish to let Thanksgiving be it's own holiday, but I think I'll break that rule this year.

Happy holiday planning!
We went to the AG store last year~it's a little overwhelming isn't it?!!! I liked it,but I could tell my DD was getting a little mind-boggled! You have a good headstart...those teen boys are hard to buy for! I am always looking for good ideas for them also!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: