Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #601
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

This issue reminds me of my mom's family thirty years ago. One family decided to revolt against the rest because they couldn't afford to buy gifts for everyone. Then, they decided to exchange $10 only gifts, then people started exchanging $10 bills , finally someone said let's not exchange gifts. Then when they started having grandkids they wanted to bring it back and I was the first to say I will not participate! Family drama!

Anyway, I goofed and ordered the same thing twice. I thought I ordered something but then couldn't find the email for the order so I ordered it again and then realized I had ordered it on amazon and my dh gets all the emails for that so now I'm trying to cancel the second order. Clearly I'm under too much stress because I'm normally very organized.
2012 Windsor Hills 2011 Buena Vista Suites
2010 Doubletree DTD, then CSR
2008 Doubletree DTD 2006 Doubletree DTD
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2005 Doubletree DTD 2005 Swan 2001 Dolphin
2000 All Star Movies 1999 Carribean Beach
100AcreWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #602
My2CrazyGirls
DIS Veteran

Having a hard time coming up w ideas for my girls. One will turn 6 in December and the other will be 8 in the spring. They want those Dream Lites and I am getting them the Brave movie and new Tinker Bell movie. I will get them some crafty things. I am not sure what else to get! They are not giving me good ideas. They always say they want all that stuff on TV advertised on Disney Channel and Nick, but most of that stuff is crap.

Any ideas?
My2CrazyGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #603
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2CrazyGirls View Post
Having a hard time coming up w ideas for my girls. One will turn 6 in December and the other will be 8 in the spring. They want those Dream Lites and I am getting them the Brave movie and new Tinker Bell movie. I will get them some crafty things. I am not sure what else to get! They are not giving me good ideas. They always say they want all that stuff on TV advertised on Disney Channel and Nick, but most of that stuff is crap.

Any ideas?
Any ideas re interests?
* PJs or clothes -- can't go wrong here
* slippers
* books
* 8 yr old, as you are getting brave, Airhunterz bow and arrow set (fake arrows)
* dolls? -- Barbie with some clothes or AG-type or Bitty Twins -type. DD wants the Bitty Twins and is 5 so might be about right
* sport stuff -- helmets (DD is getting a cat helmet), soccer ball, t-ball set, glove, scooter, etc.
* fairy garden stuff to plant outside or use outside in the spring

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #604
bas71873
DIS Veteran

So glad I'm not alone with the thinking that swapping gift cards is ridiculous. I see my inlaws and that side of the family MAYBE 6 times a year, and they only live 40 minutes away and are retired and relatively young (but that's a whole other story) so I don't get why they all even want to bother. Why not just eat, drink & be merry. Most years there's some crisis anyway and DH's sisters are too "broke" to buy anyone anything anyway, so I think this will be my last year participating in the nonsense. I think as I'm getting older, my patience for stupid crap like this is wearing thin!

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #605
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

I'm very glad I've done so much of my shopping already.

I'll be able to be more generous with friends and coworkers who have lost so much in the hurricane.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #606
My2CrazyGirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky View Post
Any ideas re interests?
* PJs or clothes -- can't go wrong here
* slippers
* books
* 8 yr old, as you are getting brave, Airhunterz bow and arrow set (fake arrows)
* dolls? -- Barbie with some clothes or AG-type or Bitty Twins -type. DD wants the Bitty Twins and is 5 so might be about right
* sport stuff -- helmets (DD is getting a cat helmet), soccer ball, t-ball set, glove, scooter, etc.
* fairy garden stuff to plant outside or use outside in the spring
Thanks! I was thinking about fairy garden sets. Can you do them inside or do you have to do them outside? I think they would like fun slippers. Not sure where to find good ones. They get PJ's and books Christmas Eve
My2CrazyGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #607
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2CrazyGirls View Post
Thanks! I was thinking about fairy garden sets. Can you do them inside or do you have to do them outside? I think they would like fun slippers. Not sure where to find good ones. They get PJ's and books Christmas Eve
You could easily get a shallow bowl and plant indoors. Think baby tears and stuff like that. You can keep a small plant trimmed to be a tree. You can pick up stuff to go with it at craft stores (dollhouse furniture -- I got mini pumpkins, rabbits and turtles and frogs to go with the seasons) or some nurseries carry fairy garden stuff. Hearthsong has some fairy garden homes too.

From earlier in the thread Stompeez seem to be popular. I got DD some fancy looking slippers from Disney on sale. Kind of like these: http://www.disneystore.com/cinderell...10634/1000222/ . I also got some from stride rite.

Also thought of this stuff that my nieces are into:
* calico critters -- Amazon had a 50% off sale on accessories and sets in early December last year.
* hexbugs
* cooking sets and aprons and such -- there are some great cookbooks for kids and kids' cooking stuff
* mini donut maker
* spa science kit
* sewing kit, loom kit
* write and illustrate your own book -- M&D has this great thing where they can write their own stories and illustrate too.

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )

Last edited by Pesky; 10-30-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #608
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky View Post
so funny -- my niece is 9 and same kind of problem with just not knowing what she wants! For her, consider:
* airhunterz bow and arrow set -- local toy store says they can't keep them in stock.
* craft stuff -- for my niece, I am deciding between the Scientific Explorer spa science or scientific explorer magic for wizards; there are felted animal kits, beginning sewing or knitting or crochet, potholder looms and so on. Even just pens and paper!
* hexbugs -- you can get nanobugs or other hexbugs
* puzzle
* books and music
* movies
* ipieces -- little pieces with a downloadable app to turn your iPad into a game (provided you have an iPad willing to be used for such a purpose)
* games
* sport/outdoor stuff
* tickets to an event

DS:
* switch n go dinos
* legos -- my 5YO nephew is OBSESSED with legos. They have some pretty fun collections now
* playmobil
* puzzles
* books, movies, music
* sport/outdoor stuff
* into trains still? lot of that stuff around
* lots of cool action playsets around too
Thank you! The archery set is a great idea! Also, my ds still loves dinos, so I am going to have to check those out.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #609
CopperWife
Mouseketeer

I bought my niece those wooden letters at Hobby Lobby so she can put her name on her bedroom wall. I bought little tubes of paint, brushes, glitter, gem stones and glue. I put it all in a bucket/basket that I got from the Target dollar bin. It turned out cute - so I thought I would share because it was a cute present and I haven't seen that idea pop up anywhere yet.

me DH DD10 DD7

No ticker for now
CopperWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #610
la79al
DIS Veteran

For anyone that is crafty, I just saw clear plastic 'ball' ornaments at ACMoore for $1 a piece. I know before I could only find glass ones and with 2 little ones, that was just not going to happen!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #611
Cinderelly5507
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperWife
I bought my niece those wooden letters at Hobby Lobby so she can put her name on her bedroom wall. I bought little tubes of paint, brushes, glitter, gem stones and glue. I put it all in a bucket/basket that I got from the Target dollar bin. It turned out cute - so I thought I would share because it was a cute present and I haven't seen that idea pop up anywhere yet.
Cute idea!!
Cinderelly5507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #612
Carol97
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperWife
Love this idea!!!! Little girls love doing crafts anyways.

Carol97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #613
ehough
Mouseketeer

As far as fairy gardens go- DD got this little dome for her bday in January. She loved it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000Q41SP6
Proud mommy to DD (5.5) and DS (4) and #3 due 2-14-14
ehough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:43 AM   #614
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperWife View Post

Are the holes for hanging pre-drilled on the back?

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #615
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873 View Post
So glad I'm not alone with the thinking that swapping gift cards is ridiculous. I see my inlaws and that side of the family MAYBE 6 times a year, and they only live 40 minutes away and are retired and relatively young (but that's a whole other story) so I don't get why they all even want to bother. Why not just eat, drink & be merry. Most years there's some crisis anyway and DH's sisters are too "broke" to buy anyone anything anyway, so I think this will be my last year participating in the nonsense. I think as I'm getting older, my patience for stupid crap like this is wearing thin!

I agree....me too!!!!

Disney Mommy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: