Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #541
Ephany
DIS Veteran
 
Ephany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by glk2009 View Post
We've started the buying!

DD4 turn 5 in Dec, so we are buying for both her birthday and Christmas. For her bday, I ordered her a subscription to Kiwi Crates. Every month they send you a box with one or two projects and all of the supplies. I'm very excited to receive our first crate.
That looks really neat. I wonder if there's anything out there for slightly older kids? My DD would love getting her own crafts in the mail each month.
Ephany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #542
staceywj
Mouseketeer
 
staceywj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 181

Just started shopping. DD4 is into Doc McStuffins so I stocked up on all the Doc stuff.

Other DD8, is harder this year. Last year it was the iPad and it seems that is a hard one to top.
staceywj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 AM   #543
bas71873
DIS Veteran
 
bas71873's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central VA
Posts: 4,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephany View Post
That looks really neat. I wonder if there's anything out there for slightly older kids? My DD would love getting her own crafts in the mail each month.

Mine too. I just looked at their website and everything seems geared toward the younger kids. I did email them to ask though. My DD would LOVE something like this!
__________________
Me40; DH39; DD10





Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #544
Cinderelly5507
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 749

I know part of the Kiwi Crate fun is getting the box in the mail, but I've decided to make my DD5 a science kit. I found the idea on Pinterest, and it seems that I can find everything at the Dollar Tree. She loves science, and I think she'll enjoy it! You could adapt a kit to include anything you want, and it may cost less than Kiwi Crate. Just an idea!
Cinderelly5507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #545
Jerseyguy's Wife
Mouseketeer
 
Jerseyguy's Wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 326

Okay, everyone...62 days until Christmas! How's everyone doing?
I am in need of advice. My son is 7, and we have enough toys here to start our own toy store. I would like to buy him a mp3 player for his few CDs. I am not, however, willing to shell out $160 for an iPod because, quite frankly, he can't even keep track of his own shoes. Has anyone used any of the cheap mp3 players with any success? Which ones?
__________________
Me (33) DH (48) DS (6) DS (4)

May 2008 POFQ, May 2009 Cabins at FW, May 2009 DVC membership, September 2009 AKL, February 2010 BCV AKL, September 2010 BCV December 2011 AKL

Jerseyguy's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #546
Jerseyguy's Wife
Mouseketeer
 
Jerseyguy's Wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderelly5507 View Post
I know part of the Kiwi Crate fun is getting the box in the mail, but I've decided to make my DD5 a science kit. I found the idea on Pinterest, and it seems that I can find everything at the Dollar Tree. She loves science, and I think she'll enjoy it! You could adapt a kit to include anything you want, and it may cost less than Kiwi Crate. Just an idea!
What did you put in your kit?
__________________
Me (33) DH (48) DS (6) DS (4)

May 2008 POFQ, May 2009 Cabins at FW, May 2009 DVC membership, September 2009 AKL, February 2010 BCV AKL, September 2010 BCV December 2011 AKL

Jerseyguy's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #547
tigger_mommy
Bunny slippers should be mandatory in life!
 
tigger_mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Podunk, KY
Posts: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy's Wife View Post
Okay, everyone...62 days until Christmas! How's everyone doing?
I am in need of advice. My son is 7, and we have enough toys here to start our own toy store. I would like to buy him a mp3 player for his few CDs. I am not, however, willing to shell out $160 for an iPod because, quite frankly, he can't even keep track of his own shoes. Has anyone used any of the cheap mp3 players with any success? Which ones?
All four of my kids have cheap MP3 players. Different brands, sizes and have not had a single issue with any of them.
__________________
Me DH DD 9 DD 7 DS 7 DD 5

tigger_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #548
tikilyn
DIS Veteran
 
tikilyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy's Wife View Post
Okay, everyone...62 days until Christmas! How's everyone doing?
I am in need of advice. My son is 7, and we have enough toys here to start our own toy store. I would like to buy him a mp3 player for his few CDs. I am not, however, willing to shell out $160 for an iPod because, quite frankly, he can't even keep track of his own shoes. Has anyone used any of the cheap mp3 players with any success? Which ones?
Why don't you get him the ipod shuffle. It's only 49 dollars. That way if he loses it you won't be out 200.00! I consider that cheap, don't know about you though. It's not a touch screen so that can't be cracked.
tikilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #549
Cinderelly5507
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy's Wife

What did you put in your kit?
http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2012...ee-printables/

That is the blog where I got the idea. I might look for other experiments to add to the kit as well.
Cinderelly5507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #550
figment41
Mouseketeer
 
figment41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 460

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyBrenda View Post
I've been following this thread from the beginning, and love all the ideas I'm getting for my DD5. Every year, I try to adhere to the "want,need,wear,read" concept from us, and 3 gifts from Santa. But boy, it's getting tough to stop shopping for her, I have so many wonderful ideas (or so I think). Thankfully, her birthday's in February, so I'll be able to split this stuff up between Christmas and her birthday.

So far, I have...
Baby Butterscotch
Friends Legos (the Horse stable and the Riding School)
Madagascar 3 BlueRay
Furby
and the big one, Nintendo 3DS XL...
plus little stuff to fill her stocking and round out the categories above.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend 3DS or DS games for a 5, almost 6 yo girl? We're going to disable the 3D feature in the beginning, so the 3D part isn't necessary for right now. She loves horses and Kindergarten. I just want to get 2 - 3 games for her to open up, so she can play right away. Then we will let her pick her own games after that. I've read that Mario Party is a good one? Any suggestions?? Are there any accessories we need to get right away, or can we live with the system as is?

Thanks - Brenda
There are some games that require very little reading which makes it easier for the kids to play by themselves. Can she read? What is she into?

There are I believe 3 different learning Games from Sesame Street
The Dora games are good also.
The games like Mario Bros etc are just traditional video games.
There are the cooking mama and baby mama games
There are also quite a few of nickelodeon game team umizoomi,
lalaloopsy pinkalicious silverlicious are
cute
squinkies littlest pet shop, and barbie are good for that age range.
There are a few Disney Games but they always seem to require reading and no voice instructions

Most of the games for that age are in the 19.99 section and go on sale for bogo for %40 off or sometimes 50% off. If they are new they will be about 29.99 but if you can wait they drop in price right after christmas.

For the past 2 years Tys R Us has released Christmas games that go with the old fashioned shows. Santa Clause is Coming to Town and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer were the last 2 years.

Good luck let us know what you pick
__________________

figment41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #551
ehough
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 100

Also, if you have a Kohl's card, they sell DS games. I got Lalaloopsy and Plants vs Zombies (don't ask, my kids are really into zombies) from there- on sale for $21.95, used the code HARVEST30 for 30% off and then SHIP2MVC for free shipping. Got 2 for $30 that way and they had a pretty good selection. (If you don't have a card you won't get the free shipping, but you should be able to get 30%!).
__________________
Proud mommy to DD (5.5) and DS (4) and #3 due 2-14-14
ehough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #552
MissyBrenda
Mine, mine, mine, mine...
 
MissyBrenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 150

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment41 View Post
There are some games that require very little reading which makes it easier for the kids to play by themselves. Can she read? What is she into?

There are I believe 3 different learning Games from Sesame Street
The Dora games are good also.
The games like Mario Bros etc are just traditional video games.
There are the cooking mama and baby mama games
There are also quite a few of nickelodeon game team umizoomi,
lalaloopsy pinkalicious silverlicious are
cute
squinkies littlest pet shop, and barbie are good for that age range.
There are a few Disney Games but they always seem to require reading and no voice instructions

Most of the games for that age are in the 19.99 section and go on sale for bogo for %40 off or sometimes 50% off. If they are new they will be about 29.99 but if you can wait they drop in price right after christmas.

For the past 2 years Tys R Us has released Christmas games that go with the old fashioned shows. Santa Clause is Coming to Town and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer were the last 2 years.

Good luck let us know what you pick
Thanks Figment41! You gave some great ideas, like Littlest Pet Shop, Barbie, Team Umizoomi... I think I'll keep an eye out for a few of these titles, and then let her pick her own after she gets the system. I'm really just trying to avoid spending 29.99 on a game she has no interest in, but finding these older titles on sale would be wonderful! ToysRUs has all video games on sale this week, so I might have to make a trip over there.

Thanks again - Brenda
__________________
MissyBrenda , DH , DD6 , and 1 kitty




WDW: Offsite 1974, Offsite 11/96, Offsite 5/99, CONT & DCL 5/02, SOG 4/04, SOG 8/04, Offsite 4/05, Offsite 10/06, Offsite 11/09, ASMo 5/10,
Offsite 11/10, Offsite 4/11, Offsite 11/11, Offsite 5/12, Offsite 6/14
MissyBrenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #553
MissyBrenda
Mine, mine, mine, mine...
 
MissyBrenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehough View Post
Also, if you have a Kohl's card, they sell DS games. I got Lalaloopsy and Plants vs Zombies (don't ask, my kids are really into zombies) from there- on sale for $21.95, used the code HARVEST30 for 30% off and then SHIP2MVC for free shipping. Got 2 for $30 that way and they had a pretty good selection. (If you don't have a card you won't get the free shipping, but you should be able to get 30%!).
Thanks ehough! I forgot about Kohl's... I just got a 30% off in the mail, so need to head over there tonight... In the meantime, I can check out the website, and maybe save myself a trip!!

Thanks again - Brenda
__________________
MissyBrenda , DH , DD6 , and 1 kitty




WDW: Offsite 1974, Offsite 11/96, Offsite 5/99, CONT & DCL 5/02, SOG 4/04, SOG 8/04, Offsite 4/05, Offsite 10/06, Offsite 11/09, ASMo 5/10,
Offsite 11/10, Offsite 4/11, Offsite 11/11, Offsite 5/12, Offsite 6/14
MissyBrenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #554
Deffenm
DIS Veteran
 
Deffenm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,382

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger_mommy View Post
All four of my kids have cheap MP3 players. Different brands, sizes and have not had a single issue with any of them.
My DD got a cheap one from Target last Christmas and we have had no problems. It was around $20.


I got some more shopping done today. My DD wanted an outfit from Gymboree and I try to wait for a good sale as there stuff is not cheap. Well they are having a sale plus I had an extra $20 off so I was able to get her the outfit she wanted and her Christmas PJ's. I also cashed in some points and got DH a Panera and Amazon Gift card.

I have everyone's lists so now I just need good sales.
__________________
Proud Mother to 3 Adopted Blessings
DS (14)
DS (13)
DD (10)

May 2005 - AsMov
Sept. 2006 - POP
Sept. 2007 - POR
Aug. 2008 - AKL
June. 2010 - CBR (Grand Gathering)
April 2012 - POP
Oct. 2014 - POP
Deffenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #555
Jerseyguy's Wife
Mouseketeer
 
Jerseyguy's Wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 326

Thanks, all. And I was looking more at the $20 price range. I wouldn't mind spending the $50 for the iPod shuffle if I thought he'd be able to find it two days after Christmas, but he has to show me he's responsible enough first. Then I may spend the money. That's how my parents did it, and well...I guess you can't take that out of a girl.
__________________
Me (33) DH (48) DS (6) DS (4)

May 2008 POFQ, May 2009 Cabins at FW, May 2009 DVC membership, September 2009 AKL, February 2010 BCV AKL, September 2010 BCV December 2011 AKL

Jerseyguy's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: