Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #16
hineshm
4 the luv of Mickey

I have officially started Christmas shopping. For all the little girls in my family I was able to pick up lip gloss and purses on clearance. I only have 1 young boy to buy for and I am thinking a nerf gun, but we will see.

I also found my dad a nice shirt on clearance at Academy. And I bought 2 Mickey tumblers when the Disney store was having their sale.

Much more to do, but it is a start!

Christmas is my favorite time of year, so I am all in.
hineshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #17
rapunzelmom
Earning My Ears

yeah

I loved this thread last year, lurked all season!!!! and got great ideas so thanks. This year we are "right sizing", pulling back on a lot of "we wants" and focusing more on blessing we have. DD with be 6 the end of the month and I want her to learn the value of money etc. So in that vein we will be making alot of gifts for friends and grandparents (who all need nothing). I am thinking of making apple butter (so very easy even if you aren't a Martha type) and baking bread. Also DD will craft something. For older nephews and nieces, good old gift cards.
DD is a horse back rider so, probably some things she needs for that and a couple of Barbie items and AG stuff. Like the idea of a bigger family gift, like a couple of days at Great Wolf lodge!
Also scored a beautiful top for $9 at Kohl's clearance this summer for my sister.
Can't wait to see all the ideas!!!
rapunzelmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
lyncecelia
DIS Veteran

I came here specifically for looking for this thread--so I'm happy that I found it! Thanks for making it OP!

I have my spreadsheets for all of my Christmas shopping ready to go so I can just add stuff as we go. FSS11 just got a cell phone this year, but he got a wicked cheap hand-me-down one for the "trail period" so we are thinking if the next 5 months go well with it, we'll buy him a better phone. We do know that this Christmas will be considerably smaller than last year though, so it'll teach the kids that they won't always get iPods and iPads....I'm excited to see ideas for them all though! Christmas is my favorite time of year!

I bought my first Christmas gift (a sudoku rubix cube for FH) a couple weeks ago for his stocking--he loves those things and I didn't think I would find it again so I figured I would jump at the chance. My cousin sat there and made fun of me for shopping so early, but I don't care, we have a lot to shop for so spacing it out makes it hurt less budget-wise.

Me (26)DH (34) *DH's Kids*:DSS13DSD12DSD11 DSS7
Met on the DIS, and going strong
May 10th 2010-First date at Kona...October 2011-first trip together...April 21st-29th 2012-first trip with the kids...October 3rd-6th 2012-adults only trip...January 9th-13th 2014-planning session and birthday trip for DSS1...February 2014-Valentine's Day Getaway...May 16th-24th 2014-wedding trip (WP/LSS/Sago Cay), honeymoon, and birthday trip for DSS2...December 4th-7th 2014-birthday trip for DSD2...March 14th-16th 2015-birthday trip for DSD1

Hear me on: ...On a mission to become a healthier me! I have lost:
lyncecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #19
Maggie Ann
Mouseketeer

I'm in!

I tried to get the family Christmas picture taken yesterday (Shutterfly was offering a major discount) but my family would not cooperate -so they are all getting coal this year

Thanks for starting this thread again this year.

(Me) (DH) (DD) (DS)

08/1978 - Road Trip from NY with my parents and sister (Off-Site).
01/2008 - Now I'm the parent... with the hubby, kids and my Mom too! (Windsor Hills - Nemo's Nook)
04/2009 - Contemporary Hotel with my good friend (and Disney Guru)!
09/2012 - Wilderness Lodge... DH (a/k/a the Anti-Mouse) actually suggested we go!
Maggie Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #20
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

I'm in. We've just moved to Alaska so are doing Alaskan gifts for family... I really want to cut back on what all we get the kids this year, especially since we'll be at Disney for a week a couple weeks prior.

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #21
Krystalynn
Mouseketeer

I want to try cutting down too. Last year I feel like we got dd too mucn and she didn't play with what we got for long -.- Plus since last Christmas we had a son and his birthday is December 26th so we'll be buying for that too! So this year we're having a "big present" for both of the kids which is a trip to Disney a little less than a month before Christmas. The hard part will be explaining to dd that it's part of her present Then we'll get them both a couple of smaller presents. Now to decide on things that will actually last

Krystalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #22
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

I'm in! And in major news, attempting to practice some restraint this year. Last year was WAY overboard -- even I admit that -- and I took some toys and gave it to the kids for their birthdays instead.

I've started a bit already as I picked up a snow white costume (non-Disney -- that glitter ticks me off and gets EVERYWHERE!) for about $10 (yay me). I also picked up some dolls on sale. Waiting to see if she kind of wants them or wants something else. Not sure of the big gift yet but looking at a tea set that she can use with her friends (not a tiny doll set). Also have to look for PJs and a Christmas ornament.

I did get DS his big gift when he was 1 -- picked up a Black and Decker workbench off kidswoot then for a great deal. Just need to find some smaller things.

The main questions will be for my nieces and nephew. Also with DH's family, we draw names so waiting to see who we get. But we have to do his parents' stockings and of course, pre-me, he got the giant sized because he thought it was funny. Now it is a pain in the you-know-what filling those. I usually look for things like cans of coffee because they are large and take up space for little money. Already picked up a few things I saw like pig corn holders (MIL likes pigs) and an apron.

So have some things purchased which will help spread the pain a bit but need to start stocking up for the rest! The one thing DH and I are going to do is go through and cull the toys. We figure it is time to donate some stuff that they kids don't play with much to our local child advocacy program. It'll help teach them about less fortunate kids and make room for any new toys.

ETA: another thing to watch -- shipping! Lord, I get stiffed on shipping every year. So this year I am restraining myself from buying a clearance item unless I am sure it is worth the price PLUS the cost to ship it versus picking it up on Amazon and asking someone to wrap it for me.

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )

Last edited by Pesky; 07-16-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #23
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

You are all welcome!! I enjoy this thread too!! Sounds like a major theme this year is 'scaling down' on the amount of toys/junk. I have started doing that too..and I really like for family who isn't going to stick to the list to give the kids cash. I have some who used to just pick out stuff to give them just so the kids could open a gift...I do not shop like that and don't really like people doing that for my kids either...it just makes so much stuff they don't like, want, or need...They enjoy having money to save and when they see something later that they really, really want they have their own money.
High on my gift list has always been books...I give them in baby shower gifts, kids birthdays, or gift cards to a local bookstore...And my kids enjoy getting them too--so y'all may want to start that too! You can never go wrong with a classic book for kids!
Old 07-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #24
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy 3 View Post
High on my gift list has always been books...I give them in baby shower gifts, kids birthdays, or gift cards to a local bookstore...And my kids enjoy getting them too--so y'all may want to start that too! You can never go wrong with a classic book for kids!
I couldn't agree more. I love to get and give books. And those are often the first things that make the kids pause and read for a bit before going on to other gifts. In fact, my mom gets a People subscription for Christmas every year and she said it's her favorite present!

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #25
krismanda
Mouseketeer

Love this thread!

I'm primarily shopping for dd (will be 5) and ds (turning 1 the week before Christmas).

Also will be looking for gifts for nephew (6mos), niece (3 mos) and three teenage nephews (14, 14, 15).

Ds will be turning 1 right before Christmas so I will be on the lookout for bday gifts for him as well.

This year I am determined to cut back. I've been saying that for 3 years, but I'm really serious this time. lol We have gone way overboard on my dd in the past. Last year we (I guess I should say I) did a little better on dd, but still...it was too much. My problem is I have a hard time passing a good deal. Next thing you know the master closet is full.

I love Black Friday shopping. Like, Black Friday, is MY holiday. lol
krismanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #26
sarahk0204
DIS Veteran

Well, I will try to scale back!

Last year, I should have scaled back because DH was on sabbtical, and my independent contractor work really slowed down. We also fit in another holiday trip (DVC points and annual passes are a dangerous combination!)

However, finances are looking better this year, as I have more work, and DH will be back to full salary in just over a month from now. The trick will be not to rebound too far and go overboard.

I have not yet figured out the sewing project for the nieces and nephews for this year. The fleece quillows have become birthday presents throughout the year because I ran out of time at Christmas. I may do fleece mittens again, as it has been a couple of years, and everyone has outgrown theirs!

DD wants the AG doll of the year. I may get the DVD/Bluray this month while AG has free shipping. DS is interested in the Skylander portal, but he wants some big LEGO sets too.

Thanks again for doing this!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #27
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

I'm subbing now, so I don't miss any good ideas! It's never too early to start, and I always try to be finished with my shopping by Halloween. There aren't many people we buy for, but I like to get good things for those people without spending a ton of money. Then, we go wild buying for our kids But as always, I have no ideas what to get for them (DD15 and DS9).
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #28
ama223
Mouseketeer

Great idea for a thread!

DH & I don't usually exchange gifts - we do small stocking stuff.

DS1 will be 6 and DS2 will be almost 4 - they each get 3 gifts from Santa and 1-2 gifts from us. And small stocking stuff. They have a new idea of what they want each day, depending on what commercial they've seen recently! Should be interesting.

I need to try and get all my shopping done EARLY this year since this baby is due 12/1 (will have a repeat C-section the week after Thanksgiving). Amazon Prime is also my best friend at holiday time! So if I need to, I can do most of my shopping online.

So excited that Christmas is around the corner, partially because that means baby #3 will be here :D

WDW: Many trips as a child ~ Nov 2004 CBR ~ Dec 2009 WL ~ May 2011 Offsite ~ Oct 2011 Poly ~ Jan 2012 Offsite (just me and DH!) ~ Dec 2013 Offsite

DL: Sept 2005 Offsite
ama223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #29
tzeitel
Toadi Acceleratio Semper Absurda

I already know what the grandparents are getting - I got a coupon for a free photobook from Shutterfly and will be making one full of DD's art. I'll have some photos of her "creating" and on the opposite page the finished project.

Still have to think what to get all my nieces - 6 girls ages 9 months - 12 years
The 9 month old is pretty easy, I have a cute pink Snoopy I got her last month and a couple of cute outfits I found on clearance.
For the 4 year old I am thinking a Lalaloopsy - I have been watching them on Ebay and Amazon to find the best deal.

DD is getting the Kinect Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure game. She loooves her Kinect and Pixar movies so it is perfect. Now I am saving my Swagbuck points for Amazon gift cards Other than that I am drawing a blank. Her Bday is in August and I got her a some presents I know she will love - a big pizza pillow (), a Perplexus and a Just Dance Kids Kinect game.

Does anyone know when Brave is coming out on DVD? I know it is still in theaters but Amazon has it on pre-order already so I was wondering if it will be out for Christmas
Old 07-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #30
Suelala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsweeper View Post
We have 4 kids and all have b-days in Aug, Nov and Dec. Our extended family also loves to buy for the kids. It's a lot of toys! This year we are buying less and trying:
1. "Something you want, something you need, something you wear, something you read" from Mom & Dad
2. Santa's big gift
3. 3-4 small stocking items (candy, stickers, matchbox cars, etc)
4. A tree ornament and Christmas PJs each child's elf brings before Christmas Eve

I know Santa is thinking of the new Little People Disney castle, carriage, and figures for YDD, and the Toy Story toys may be on YDS's list.
I love your #1, how great that is. Love Christmas, usually start shopping around August. Have been thinking about my November WDW trip, havent even thought about Christmas yet. Hope to find some fun stuff at the parks.
Suelala is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: