Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #241
pammiecakes
Earning My Ears

Wow only 122 days. Can't believe it's almost here again. I picked up one monster high doll last week and am going to get a lot of shopping done next week. Can't wait!! I'll be ready to put my tree up before Halloween lol
pammiecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #242
CMW0021
Earning My Ears

Subscribing! I love Christmas and have completed a bunch of shopping through the target sale.

My big question for the experts. I'm between an iPod touch vs kindle fire vs nook for my sons 7 and 5. I can't get one and not the other as the fight will begin. For those who have any of these or researched, what did u pick and why? So confused.

As a family gift, I was thinking about getting camping gear. My kids love fishing but we haven't been camping yet but I know they will love it. I'm thinking about a tent, sleeping bags, lanterns, etc. so I will be looking for great clearance deals on these items. Looking forward to this thread and getting other ideas!
CMW0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #243
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMW0021 View Post
Subscribing! I love Christmas and have completed a bunch of shopping through the target sale.

My big question for the experts. I'm between an iPod touch vs kindle fire vs nook for my sons 7 and 5. I can't get one and not the other as the fight will begin. For those who have any of these or researched, what did u pick and why? So confused.

As a family gift, I was thinking about getting camping gear. My kids love fishing but we haven't been camping yet but I know they will love it. I'm thinking about a tent, sleeping bags, lanterns, etc. so I will be looking for great clearance deals on these items. Looking forward to this thread and getting other ideas!
I think it depends on how they plan to use it. If its mainly for reading, games and watching videos, and you don't care that its not portable (as in stick it in their pocket) I'd go with the Fire. My dd takes her Ipod touch everywhere so she would hate the Fire's larger size. She is used to playing games and watching videos on the small screen so its not that big of a deal. She uses it for taking videos and music too, but since she has a Kindle Touch she doesn't use her iPod touch for reading.
I'm getting her a smartphone for Christmas this year, so I think her Ipod touch will get used alot less after that since she'll be able to everything on that, then it wil just sit there collecting dust. If she had a Fire, at least she would still use that for watching movies on the go.

I can't believe there are 4 months until Christmas. If they go by as fast as the summer did it will be here before we know it. I better get shopping!!
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #244
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I think it depends on how they plan to use it. If its mainly for reading, games and watching videos, and you don't care that its not portable (as in stick it in their pocket) I'd go with the Fire. My dd takes her Ipod touch everywhere so she would hate the Fire's larger size. She is used to playing games and watching videos on the small screen so its not that big of a deal. She uses it for taking videos and music too, but since she has a Kindle Touch she doesn't use her iPod touch for reading.
I'm getting her a smartphone for Christmas this year, so I think her Ipod touch will get used alot less after that since she'll be able to everything on that, then it wil just sit there collecting dust. If she had a Fire, at least she would still use that for watching movies on the go.

I can't believe there are 4 months until Christmas. If they go by as fast as the summer did it will be here before we know it. I better get shopping!!
My 3 oldest have smartphones and still use their ipod touches. Maybe we all have crappy phones or something, but they're so slow that it's a pain to try to do anything on the internet on them. Apps take forever to load and they already have so much stuff on their ipods that it's easier to just use those. We're actually going to downgrade when it's time to get new phones and get rid of the smartphones.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #245
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbornkuntry View Post
My 3 oldest have smartphones and still use their ipod touches. Maybe we all have crappy phones or something, but they're so slow that it's a pain to try to do anything on the internet on them. Apps take forever to load and they already have so much stuff on their ipods that it's easier to just use those. We're actually going to downgrade when it's time to get new phones and get rid of the smartphones.
We are new to the smartphone thing, so I just assume she'll use her phone for everything. Maybe it will depend on what phone I get her. Its definitely NOT going to be an iPhone, that I know
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #246
mrsbornkuntry
I carry a diaper

I have officially started shopping . I usually just pick up a few things when I see them, but I have to wait until after my DS's Sept. birthday is over to buy any big gifts and now I'm done shopping for him.

So far I've bought two UK hoodies, one for DS15 and one for DH, an Xbox game for DS15, two books for DS11, and an Xbox game for DS13. I also got MIL's husband a travel bag for electronics that has a build in surge protector, it's perfect for him. I still have no idea what I'm going to buy her. I have ideas of what I'm going to buy, I'm just watching for sales on them. When is a good time and place to shop for Legos?

I think I'm going to get my 6yo niece a build a bear gift card and something small to go with it.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
Old 08-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #247
mrsbornkuntry
I carry a diaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
We are new to the smartphone thing, so I just assume she'll use her phone for everything. Maybe it will depend on what phone I get her. Its definitely NOT going to be an iPhone, that I know
Yeah, my kids keep telling me I should just get them iphones, that's the problem with the phones, but so far this summer they have broken the screens on an ipod and a tablet so an iphone isn't even a consideration. They had cases for them, but they won't use them.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
Old 08-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #248
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Well, this is not Christmas shopping, but it is Fall shopping!! We worked on our big front flower bed this morning:weeded, cut back plants,pruned out dead things...hosed down the front porch and windows....so, we had to run to Target and get New rugs!!! Ours were shot!! And a Broom! But, I grabbed a few small scarecrows, and have some other fall stuff from last year~including a great big BEAUTIFUL wreath my friend made me. I was going to wait till Saturday to put up my stuff, but I am so ready to do it now....just gotta add some mulch to my beds tonight then put in the scarecrows!!! I decorate early for Christmas, so I want my fall stuff to last.....
Any of you started decorating for Fall yet? Our schools have all started down here, and Labor Day is right here, so it's time to say FALL!!!!! Plus, we are sick of hot and humid weather~so we are inducing Mother Nature to give us cooler temps!

Disney Mommy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #249
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy 3 View Post
Well, this is not Christmas shopping, but it is Fall shopping!! We worked on our big front flower bed this morning:weeded, cut back plants,pruned out dead things...hosed down the front porch and windows....so, we had to run to Target and get New rugs!!! Ours were shot!! And a Broom! But, I grabbed a few small scarecrows, and have some other fall stuff from last year~including a great big BEAUTIFUL wreath my friend made me. I was going to wait till Saturday to put up my stuff, but I am so ready to do it now....just gotta add some mulch to my beds tonight then put in the scarecrows!!! I decorate early for Christmas, so I want my fall stuff to last.....
Any of you started decorating for Fall yet? Our schools have all started down here, and Labor Day is right here, so it's time to say FALL!!!!! Plus, we are sick of hot and humid weather~so we are inducing Mother Nature to give us cooler temps!

I did yardwork today too....cut grass, trimmed trees & bushes, hosed the front porch. Not ready for fall yet. We haven't even started school. One week to go. I don't decorate for fall 'til October 1 and leave it up until the weekend before Thanksgiving when Christmas comes out . I have found some cool fall stuff on Pinterest that I want to do for decor though. My husband is gonna hate me

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #250
lovegrumpy
DIS Veteran

I have no idea what to get my DS 17&15. I'm hoping they tell me soon.
HHI 2014

ME/DH/DS18/DS17
Or,Wa,FLx2,Ia,Cali,DC,Va
Been married to my Coastie for 18 years
Dh,Me,Ds 18,Ds 17

lovegrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #251
la79al
DIS Veteran

It's funny how most of you seem to have older (aka harder to buy for) kiddos and already have some idea at least of what you are getting for them. Mine are only going to be 2 and 4.5 and I have no clue whatsoever. I feel like we already have at least one of everything. I have a feeling we're going to end up with a bunch of little playset type things that will be missing half the pieces by February .
Old 08-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #252
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by la79al View Post
It's funny how most of you seem to have older (aka harder to buy for) kiddos and already have some idea at least of what you are getting for them. Mine are only going to be 2 and 4.5 and I have no clue whatsoever. I feel like we already have at least one of everything. I have a feeling we're going to end up with a bunch of little playset type things that will be missing half the pieces by February .

For me (I have a 9 year old), I've learned the hard way to keep it minimal. I used to go crazy (i.e. the year of the zhu zhu pets madness) and then she'd never touch the stuff. My DD always had WAY more toys than she new what to do with and yet only played with a small number of them. Took me YEARS to reign myself in and now that she's a bit older and kind of over the toy thing (she still likes American Girl), it's a bit easier. She appreciates gift cards so she can shop herself, we usually take a little winter trip in January, so she gets things for that.

Do your girls have a play kitchen or dollhouse, or even an art desk? My DD got a play kitchen around age 2 and played with that thing for YEARS. I actually got it at a consignment shop and bought a ton of accessories and food for it too. Oh, and a grocery cart. She LOVED pushing that thing all over the house and carrying all kinds of stuff around.

We also one year did the Step 2 dollhouse and that too got used a lot. I love step 2 because their stuff is made well, holds up, doesn't fall over when she tried to put stuff and dolls in it. It was worth the money IMO. Same for her art desk. That was Step 2 as well and had lots of storage space, came with a little chair. Maybe those ideas help a little

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #253
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

Quote:
Agree with bas -- stuff like that tends to last and get used. We have a Step 2 art station the kids still use. I got a cardboard rocket shuttle that they both still play with. Glodoodle was and is still a big favorite. I got some little tunnels that they love crawling through and DS has his basketball hoop. DS is 3 and likes his plastic dinosaurs, whales and sharks. When DD was 2 she loved her doll stroller and grocery cart. Huge favorites. This year we are going a bit more practical and they are each getting sleeping bags for camping! So you can easily identify some areas of need so you don't end up with a bunch of junky stuff. Been there, done that!

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #254
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

I should have picked up that Doc McStuffins vet kit for DD on Disney shopping when they had it... it of course is no longer listed. Boo!

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #255
mrsbornkuntry
I carry a diaper

Quote:
When my kids were that age I went with alot of things that were used up like washable fingerpaint and other art supplies. Other things that they got alot of use out of were outside toys (depending where you live) if it snows where you're at you could do a sled, if it's warm you could get trikes or roller skates (they make learning skates for kids that age). Dress-up clothes and Mega blocks are great for that age and wooden blocks, bath toys are fun, too. I love shopping for little kid toys We also got them things they needed like a step stool for brushing their teeth, raincoats and umbrellas, little things that we would think would be nice to have, but not necessities.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: