Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #166
::danielle::
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldneedscolor View Post
I don't know if I agree about the iPod touch over the nano. If they are older, around 13, I would most likely say yes. But I don't think kids should have their own personal computer, with internet access. I also don't believe they should have laptops or computers in their room; they should only use the internet in a family room. Just my two cents.
I know that this thread can quickly turn sour regarding this issue, however, I would like to point out that internet access can be blocked on an iPod touch. When you set up the iPod, you can adjust the settings and then protect the settings with a 4 digit PIN. You can also completely remove programs from the device (i.e. - YouTube). It's very easy and has worked well for our family.

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever." ~Walt Disney.

Disneyland 2009 (Candy Cane Inn)

Disney World March 2-11 2012 (POP, WBC, POR split stay)

Disney World Dec 14-21 (BLT)

Disney World Solo Trip May 22-25 (POP)

Anxiously Awaiting:
Disneyland June 17-22 (VGC)

Disney World Sept 18-21 (TBD)
::danielle:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #167
ilovepete
DIS Veteran

I thought this might make a good gift to give someone for some of you. This is a good price on one as well. Target clearance, $19.99 for 7" slim Digital Picture Frame:
http://www.target.com/p/digital-deco...e/-/A-13520861

Just wanted to share.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #168
BDLSGAL
Mouseketeer

I don't know if anyone has ordered from Zulily before, but I just got gifts for the 4 little boys we normally buy Xmas gifts for. They are cars that light up and glow. $8.99 for a set of 2 and they have different types to choose from. Not a ton, but enough that you have a choice. They also have cast and paint kits for the same price. And they have Star Wars stuff this week too. Some of it is pricey depending on who you re buying for, but cheaper then you may find it in the store. The thing with Zulily though, the sales only last for a few days then the products aren't offered anymore. The car sale will end Sunday morning at 6 am. Also, it takes a while (a few weeks for the stuff to arrive) when ordering from this site, but where it's so far before Christmas, anything you order now will arrive in time. I am pretty excited about this find tonight cuz we only have 2 little girls to buy for now (all of these are cousins or friends kids of BDL and I)! The rest of the adults are coming along nicely too. At this rate, we may just be able to have the gifts bought and rapped before our trip to Disney at the beginning of December!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #169
jacksmom
DIS Veteran

Looove Christmas shopping! Would like to get started soon, but am having a hard time trying to decide on some smaller gifts for ds(15)! He is getting a new computer as his main gift, but would like to have some other smaller gifts for him to open! Any teen guy ideas?
Old 08-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #170
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmom View Post
Looove Christmas shopping! Would like to get started soon, but am having a hard time trying to decide on some smaller gifts for ds(15)! He is getting a new computer as his main gift, but would like to have some other smaller gifts for him to open! Any teen guy ideas?
cologne...Itunes cards....books if he's a reader......GCs for fast food places,or local movie theaters....new sweater/sweatshirt/hoodie...caps....a really good pair of sunglasses....
Old 08-11-2012, 03:40 AM   #171
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy 3

cologne...Itunes cards....books if he's a reader......GCs for fast food places,or local movie theaters....new sweater/sweatshirt/hoodie...caps....a really good pair of sunglasses....
This is a good list. I would add some DVDs or CDs, and most teenage guys are into video games. Sports gear if he plays it. A lot of guys are into Beats headphone, but those are definitely not cheap. Maybe some less expensive headphones, that are still nice. Wallet, watch, t-shirts, tickets to a sporting event or concert he wants to see...that's about all I can think of. Guys can be tricky.

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #172
brendasol
Love that mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDLSGAL View Post
I don't know if anyone has ordered from Zulily before, but I just got gifts for the 4 little boys we normally buy Xmas gifts for. They are cars that light up and glow. $8.99 for a set of 2 and they have different types to choose from. Not a ton, but enough that you have a choice. They also have cast and paint kits for the same price. And they have Star Wars stuff this week too. Some of it is pricey depending on who you re buying for, but cheaper then you may find it in the store. The thing with Zulily though, the sales only last for a few days then the products aren't offered anymore. The car sale will end Sunday morning at 6 am. Also, it takes a while (a few weeks for the stuff to arrive) when ordering from this site, but where it's so far before Christmas, anything you order now will arrive in time. I am pretty excited about this find tonight cuz we only have 2 little girls to buy for now (all of these are cousins or friends kids of BDL and I)! The rest of the adults are coming along nicely too. At this rate, we may just be able to have the gifts bought and rapped before our trip to Disney at the beginning of December!!!

Thanks for the great tip! I got some great star wars items for gifts, and I'm sure they'll sell out quickly

1st family trip Polynesian 2008, Wilderness Cabin Halloween Haunt 2010, Kadani Village 2012, Old Key West surprise Christmas 2012, Saratoga Springs star wars weekends 2013, Disneyland June 2013, Wilderness Cabins Halloween 2013, 3 generation Christmas Saratoga Springs 2013,Cabins Sept 2014, Princess Enchanted 10K Feb 2015
Me , DH , DS (15), DD (13), DD (8), DD (7)

brendasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #173
BDLSGAL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendasol

Thanks for the great tip! I got some great star wars items for gifts, and I'm sure they'll sell out quickly
Glad I could help! Zulily is like an online T J Maxx.....it's hit or miss on what you will find on any given day, but the deals are usually pretty good if you find worthy items Just stinks that you basically have to stalk the site every day! No pain, no glory! Ha ha ha
Old 08-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #174
asmit4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepete View Post
I thought this might make a good gift to give someone for some of you. This is a good price on one as well. Target clearance, $19.99 for 7" slim Digital Picture Frame:
http://www.target.com/p/digital-deco...e/-/A-13520861

Just wanted to share.
Awesome! I just figured out a gift for our parents A digital photo frame filled with pics of our son's first year of life!
November 2013- Wyndham Bonnet Creek/AS Sports
October 2014- DVC- Saratoga Springs/Wyndham BC
asmit4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #175
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

I just found a bunch of stocking stuffers at JoAnn's fabrics yesterday. Never occurred to me to look there. Very pleased with myself of how far along my shopping is!
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #176
hineshm
4 the luv of Mickey

That's great! So glad that you guys were able to get the rolling duffel free at Ulta. Nothing new to report yet, still looking. 😃
hineshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #177
brendasol
Love that mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom5 View Post
I just found a bunch of stocking stuffers at JoAnn's fabrics yesterday. Never occurred to me to look there. Very pleased with myself of how far along my shopping is!
JoAnn's has great gifts for kids who like to create! Art, science, sewing, design,ect....some unique gifts If you are on their mail list they send coupons monthly and you can get up to 40% or 50% off an item too!

1st family trip Polynesian 2008, Wilderness Cabin Halloween Haunt 2010, Kadani Village 2012, Old Key West surprise Christmas 2012, Saratoga Springs star wars weekends 2013, Disneyland June 2013, Wilderness Cabins Halloween 2013, 3 generation Christmas Saratoga Springs 2013,Cabins Sept 2014, Princess Enchanted 10K Feb 2015
Me , DH , DS (15), DD (13), DD (8), DD (7)

brendasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #178
Ephany
DIS Veteran

DD9's birthday is in November so I'm trying to think ahead for both that and Christmas. I found her a recorder and a harmonica during Target's 70% off sale (DH will be so pleased ) as well as some pencil toppers. Yesterday Target also had those large handheld battery powered mister fans 50% off so I'm going to sneak back this week and grab one or two. MIL's taking all the grandkids to WDW for Thanksgiving so I think her birthday will be mostly useful things DD can use during the trip.

We also broke down and bought a Tracfone for $15, so she'll be able to contact us if she needs to at WDW. We had sworn we wouldn't buy her a cell phone yet, but neither one of us is comfortable with the idea of her only being able to contact us when MIL allows it. I have a feeling it's mostly going to be texts about how cool everything is, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Otherwise, the digital picture frame is a great idea and she's also asked for an upgrade kit for her Snap Circuits. If you've got a child interested in electronics and energy, Snap Circuits are awesome.

There'll probably be some American Girl stuff and Legos added to the mix. She's at that weird tween stage where she's not quite sure what she wants; I'm sure as Christmas gets closer we'll figure something out.
Ephany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #179
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

I think getting her the phone for the trip is a great idea!! i would be uncomfortable if my kids were that far away and couldn't reach me whenever they felt like they needed to, or just watned to talk to mommy!!
Old 08-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #180
princesscate
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy 3
I think getting her the phone for the trip is a great idea!! i would be uncomfortable if my kids were that far away and couldn't reach me whenever they felt like they needed to, or just watned to talk to mommy!!
I agree! I would def. do that. My DD is 8 but will be almost 9 at Christmas. she is still a little girl but I know it could and will change ever so quickly.

I'm still trying to think of ideas.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: