Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #136
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth
I always see the summer Christmas shopping threads and get envious of all you organized prepared early shoppers! I'm really looking for ways to make Christmas overall less stressful and overwhelming this year!

I can happily say this is a first for me, shopping this early, but I have my
DD10's main shopping done. We went to the American Girl Store in Chicago two weeks ago and her eyes just lit up and I knew her wheels were turning. We looked around and while having lunch at the cafe, I asked her what her *wish* purchase would be. She told me it was McKenna, the Doll of the Year. I proposed to her to buy her and put it away for Christmas. She agreed. I went back and bought a lot of her clothes and accessories too since I know the Doll of the Year things may sell out the closer it gets to the holidays.

Of course there will still be a Santa gift, but she is so tween, I have no idea what she really wants. She needs nothing. So many of her friends are getting iPod touches, but she's happy with her Nano. She wears a uniform to school, so doesn't need a ton of clothes either. I'm at a loss. I'll be watching this thread to see what other girls her age wish for/get.

DD almost 15 is easy, she wants (and is getting to the point where she almost needs) a laptop. I have a Sony rewards card and thought I could perhaps get it with my points. I'm not even a 1/3 of the way there, lol.
I'll be searching for the best laptop for the best price between now and Christmas. That is ALL she will be getting.
(Black Friday is out for us since we travel over the Thanksgiving holiday)

DS17...hmmm...another one who wants and needs nothing.
Will be off to college next year, so perhaps some dorm stuff. Not very exciting.

We are going to Disney for Marathon Weekend in January, so they will all like Disney gift cards, which will be easy.

DH and I don't exchange gifts, we put the $ towards the Marathon Weekend which is fine with me!

We have some extended family and friends, neighbors we do gifts with, but beyond that, not much more, so I'll be looking for ideas for those gifts.

Since we travel for Thanksgiving almost every year, I'm always behind in decorating for the holidays over that weekend. My hopes are to have it done before we go which goes against my wish to let Thanksgiving be it's own holiday, but I think I'll break that rule this year.

Happy holiday planning!
I know you say your DD is happy with her nano, but I can guarantee she would love a touch. My DD just got the touch for her bday this summer and loves it. She can iMessage and FaceTime with her friends and they all play games together. My DD has never been into electronics....no DS thing, no play station, none of those gaming systems, but she loves this touch. I wouldn't count that out just yet.

US/IOA - June 2015; Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #137
troane522
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873

I know you say your DD is happy with her nano, but I can guarantee she would love a touch. My DD just got the touch for her bday this summer and loves it. She can iMessage and FaceTime with her friends and they all play games together. My DD has never been into electronics....no DS thing, no play station, none of those gaming systems, but she loves this touch. I wouldn't count that out just yet.
DD9 also loves her Touch & uses it a lot! It would definitely be an upgrade over a nano. We did American Girl NYC last month for her birthday & there were items that she didn't get that day that will end up on her Christmas list.

While I have not necessarily started buying things, as I come across items they want or need I add them to a personal list I keep as well as many to my amazon cart. I randomly check & when the price is one I can live with, I buy them. I am a big Black Friday shopper but you have to know what's a deal and what isn't. Many times the sale leading up to Black Friday or even after will be the better deal.
troane522 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #138
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

Any gift ideas for an almost 4 year old? DD will be almost 4 on Christmas and I have no idea what to get her. She has tons of toys and a leappad already.

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #139
Priorityonecb
DIS Veteran

I bought a few more things for dd21 this weekend. I got her a new hair dryer and a Columbia fleece jacket for $25! I also ordered her a personalized necklace from Etsy. I am almost done with her, then I will move on to nieces/nanny babies.

I asked my dd15 what she wanted, although she knows our Christmas trip to Orlando is her big gift. I still planned to get her a few things. The only things she told me was two pairs of shoes. I guess I need to work on her a bit!
Priorityonecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #140
eacosper
Mouseketeer

I am loving this thread!

My MIL and GrandMIL are done, DH and I get them a garden gnome every year and the other day I was at Barnes&Noble and saw a super cute book about Garden Gnomes at 75% off I got two! DH is in charge of the gnomes this year. All I have left are BIL19 and SIL16 (No idea what to get them!) and my Mom and Dad.

eacosper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #141
delmar411
DIS Veteran

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one already working on Christmas! I went through this weekend and wrote down a gift list so I could see what I have already.

I'm done with:
MIL - hummel plates and a mug/notebook set
SIL - mug/notebook set

g-parent gifts for both sets - ODD is making stepping stones for their gardens and the little kids are making coasters at a paint your own pottery place (I bought a groupon already and they'll make them closer to the holidays)

auntie gifts (my sis & SIL) - the little kids have made some nice pottery pieces this summer that we will gift to the aunts.

YDS
ODS
YDD

mostly done for ODD - $100 in itunes GCs plus a few other random store/fast food gcs

I still need:
main gift for ODD - she wants a new computer so we'll see
Dsis - I have no idea
FIL - no idea
my parents - no idea...this gift has to be consumable (not food but something they can use up)

3 teacher gifts - will do GCs and I have magnetic notepads as the trinket since I don't like to just give a GC on its own , although we have a repeat teacher from last year (YDD's teacher is now ODS's teacher) and she went to China this summer as part of a teaching exchange so I might get her a digital picture frame instead of the GC.

That's all we buy for outside of picking children off the giving tree at the Y but of course I can't pre-buy anything for that (you pick specific items to buy). I have a bunch of stuff put back for standard toy drives too. Whenever I can snag a good deal on something fun I pick it up. Makes the amount of toys I can donate larger than if I waited until the holidays.

We're surprising the kids with Christmas at WDW (12/22-12/30) so we'll likely buy them some gifty things while we're there.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #142
Priorityonecb
DIS Veteran

Second posting of the day, but I am now done with dd21!! She is away at college, but lives in her own apartment. She has an assortment of hand me downs for the kitchen of not great quality (or looks! ). In casually chatting today, she told me her dream colors for the kitchen are red/black. We got her red cookware set, a gorgeous red/black dishware set, red silverware, red knife/scissor block set, and assorted red/black accessories! DONE!!! All together we got her 20 gifts she will love, and my total expense was $250! Perfectly on budget, and it feels good to have hers all done and taken care of!
Priorityonecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #143
ah1126
DIS Veteran

My friends are closing their toy store and I went to help out today. I came home with some stocking stuffers, a few birthday and Christmas gifts, and a baby doll to give to DD when the new baby comes. (she thinks she has a baby in her belly too, so she will get a doll at the hospital)
ah1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #144
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

I've been to Michaels the past two days, picking up some supplies for projects. I am making at least three sets of coasters for Christmas gifts. Pretty inexpensive, I hope they turn out nice!

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #145
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Hi!!

I am just now starting to think about Christmas for this year. I am NOT going to wait until the last minute this year. For the past two years I have waited and then had to rush to finish.

Lucky for me we don't have many to buy for but my kids alone have become very expensive the older they get. My son is BIG on electronics and everything on his list is hundreds of dollars each. He is dreaming of course. Finding the right gifts for him may be my biggest challenge but thankfully my girls are very easy to please.

My first tip for this thread would be for anyone who is considering buying a Ipod Nano, go ahead and get the iTouch, and a very good cover for it too. Your kids will love it!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #146
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

I don't know if I agree about the iPod touch over the nano. If they are older, around 13, I would most likely say yes. But I don't think kids should have their own personal computer, with internet access. I also don't believe they should have laptops or computers in their room; they should only use the internet in a family room. Just my two cents.

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #147
brendasol
Love that mouse!

Thanks for the idea...I think I'll have the kids make garden stones for my in-laws!

I also need to get 2 digital cameras and 2 DS systems for my 4 kids. We are surprising them with a trip to Disney in Dec, and they are going to get these to use for the trip! Does anyone know an inexpensive digital camera that's good for teens?

1st family trip Polynesian 2008, Wilderness Cabin Halloween Haunt 2010, Kadani Village 2012, Old Key West surprise Christmas 2012, Saratoga Springs star wars weekends 2013, Disneyland June 2013, Wilderness Cabins Halloween 2013, 3 generation Christmas Saratoga Springs 2013,Cabins Sept 2014, Princess Enchanted 10K Feb 2015
Me , DH , DS (15), DD (13), DD (8), DD (7)

brendasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #148
lyncecelia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldneedscolor View Post
I don't know if I agree about the iPod touch over the nano. If they are older, around 13, I would most likely say yes. But I don't think kids should have their own personal computer, with internet access. I also don't believe they should have laptops or computers in their room; they should only use the internet in a family room. Just my two cents.
I have to politely disagree...the three older kids of my FH's bunch have either an iPod Touch or an iPad, the oldest has a laptop and the two girls share a computer in their room that is mainly used for Netflix and YouTube. As long as you set them up properly and teach safe internet usage it's good for them to have access to technology. In contrast, my younger sister (who we bought her first laptop last year at 13) can barely use a computer due to the lack of availability to one she had growing up (my parents also did the "only in the family room" thing, which my mom usually was on and didn't share it often) while my FDSS11 can find his way easily around a computer...technology isn't a bad thing if the proper protocols and protections (like blockers on adult sites, internet rules, and random browser checks) are in place. Just my two cents.

Me (25)DH (33) *DH's Kids*:DSS13DSD12DSD10 DSS7
Met on the DIS, and going strong
May 10th 2010-First date at Kona...October 2011-first trip together...April 21st-29th 2012-first trip with the kids...October 3rd-6th 2012-adults only trip...January 9th-13th 2014-planning session and birthday trip for DSS1...February 2014-Valentine's Day Getaway...May 16th-24th 2014-wedding trip (WP/LSS/Sago Cay), honeymoon, and birthday trip for DSS2...December 4th-7th 2014-birthday trip for DSD2...March 14th-16th 2015-birthday trip for DSD1

Hear me on: ...On a mission to become a healthier me! I have lost:
lyncecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #149
troane522
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyncecelia

i have to politely disagree...the three older kids of my fh's bunch have either an ipod touch or an ipad, the oldest has a laptop and the two girls share a computer in their room that is mainly used for netflix and youtube. As long as you set them up properly and teach safe internet usage it's good for them to have access to technology. In contrast, my younger sister (who we bought her first laptop last year at 13) can barely use a computer due to the lack of availability to one she had growing up (my parents also did the "only in the family room" thing, which my mom usually was on and didn't share it often) while my fdss11 can find his way easily around a computer...technology isn't a bad thing if the proper protocols and protections (like blockers on adult sites, internet rules, and random browser checks) are in place. Just my two cents.
+1
troane522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #150
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
Any gift ideas for an almost 4 year old? DD will be almost 4 on Christmas and I have no idea what to get her. She has tons of toys and a leappad already.
Does she have a dollhouse? That's the big thing my dd wanted when she was 4.
2012 Windsor Hills 2011 Buena Vista Suites
2010 Doubletree DTD, then CSR
2008 Doubletree DTD 2006 Doubletree DTD
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2005 Doubletree DTD 2005 Swan 2001 Dolphin
2000 All Star Movies 1999 Carribean Beach
100AcreWood is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: