Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Stroller question but with a twist!

Hi everyone!

I know we get a lot of stroller questions but this one is slightly different. DH and I recently starting jogging in the morning. We are training for a 5k at Castaway Cay next October. We are making great progress and also have started eating healthier. We are worried about going on vacation and not jogging. We have the attitude that when on vacation we want to eat and drink what we want and not calorie count for those days. However, we don't want to stop jogging early in the morning.
Sooooo anyone know of a stroller rental company that has strollers suitable for jogging? Our dd will be 3 and is about 39-40" tall only 35 lbs. We don't want to bring our jogger as we have a lightweight cybex stroller for Disney parks that's easy to get around the parks and on/off buses. The rental stroller is for jogging in the mornings or nights only.

Thanks
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

My sister has had great service from a baby's best friend - here is a jogging stroller they rent:

http://www.abbf.com/equipment.php?item=jogger

They may have others as well.

tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Kingdom Strollers rents a Bob Revolution that's suitable for jogging

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

Where are you staying? Some resorts have great areas for jogging, but some, like AKL, don't and you may be better off using the treadmill in the fitness center.

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
jennylyn_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughinplace199 View Post
Where are you staying? Some resorts have great areas for jogging, but some, like AKL, don't and you may be better off using the treadmill in the fitness center.
We are at SSR and it has lovely trails. Plus the treadmill doesn't do it for me lol I'm strange but I like to be outside when running. Lol thanks for thinking of it though!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
MagicalMeg
Earning My Ears

Like a PP said, a baby's best friend has jogging stroller rentals. I haven't used them (decided against jogging on our last trip-too hot) but I've read great reviews. Never a negative one. I believe they rent BOBs.
MagicalMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
jennylyn_b

Anyone use Apple Scooter for a stroller rental? Their offer is hard to ignore.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
corneredbycorn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylyn_b View Post
Anyone use Apple Scooter for a stroller rental? Their offer is hard to ignore.
Those won't work for jogging. The company is called "Baby Jogger" but the City Mini is not a jogging stroller. Those wheels won't be able to withstand the impact of jogging.

Edit: From their FAQ:

Quote:
Q. Can I use the City Series line to run with?

A. The City Series line of strollers (Any stroller that starts with "City") is not intended for jogging or running. The City Series is a line of agile urban and all-terrain strollers that provide optimum versatility for every day use.

corneredbycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
Melissa&Shawn
Mouseketeer

I used a single City Mini for 2 years to do moderate jogging (4 miles max). This was prior to BJ announcing their strollers weren't meant to be jogging but all terrain. It wasn't as easy as my now BOB but definitely doable for a few miles a day on vacation.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
corneredbycorn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa&Shawn View Post
I used a single City Mini for 2 years to do moderate jogging (4 miles max). This was prior to BJ announcing their strollers weren't meant to be jogging but all terrain. It wasn't as easy as my now BOB but definitely doable for a few miles a day on vacation.
I am truly surprised someone who owns a BOB would suggest using a non jogger for jogging.

I can jog with the stroller that came with my Graco travel system, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. Real tires on a real jogging stroller give the stroller more stability at higher speeds, is less likely to jerk if it hits something (rocks, sticks, curbs, grass), it will give your baby a much more comfortable ride, it will bounce around less, they usually have more safety mechanisms (handlebar brake, tether), the wheels are usually set further forward/handlebar set further back so you are less likely to kick it, and you will be able to go faster.

Not to mention, the wear and tear on the actual stroller and the higher likelihood of breaking it because you're doing something with it you're not meant to do. Sure, you could get insurance, but it's pretty sleezy to go into renting one with the idea that if you break it doing something you're not supposed to, oh well.

Edit: I just caught your "4 miles max" comment. I assume that means 4 miles an hour. My husband and I *walk* 4 miles for 1 hour every day and exclusively use the jogger because of the benefits I listed above and because our other strollers just weren't up to the task.

Last edited by corneredbycorn; 08-08-2013 at 09:17 PM.
corneredbycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The difference between renting the CM and Bob from Kingdom Strollers is only $5-10, depending on how long you're staying for. I realize apple strollers has a little bit better deal right now, but even that's only appx $20 difference b/w renting from kingdom or renting from apple.

Baby's safety is worth $20, IMO.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Old 08-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #12
Melissa&Shawn
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=Angel Ariel;49227751]The difference between renting the CM and Bob from Kingdom Strollers is only $5-10, depending on how long you're staying for. I realize apple strollers has a little bit better deal right now, but even that's only appx $20 difference b/w renting from kingdom or renting from apple.

Baby's safety is worth $20, IMO.[/

I purchased my BJ in 2008 when it was still considered a jogging stroller. So yes I did not think I was harming my child by doing so. After it came out that you shouldn't jog, I purchased a BOB. I was just simply explaining that it is possible to run with it. I also recommended the BOB as it is much easier to run. For $5-10 difference I would definitely chose the BOB.

As for purposely trying to ruin the stroller, no I don't think so. I ran with it for 2 years. A week for someone training for a 5K would do very little wear if my BJ is still in fantastic condition from 2 years of jogging. I was not trying to be "sleazy" or anything. Just trying to help OP out if the cost was a big difference as she is probably only training 2-3 miles a day for 7 days.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:52 AM   #13
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I purchased my BJ in 2008 when it was still considered a jogging stroller. So yes I did not think I was harming my child by doing so. After it came out that you shouldn't jog, I purchased a BOB. I was just simply explaining that it is possible to run with it. I also recommended the BOB as it is much easier to run. For $5-10 difference I would definitely chose the BOB.
I wasn't talking about what you did in 2008. I was responding to part of your post where you said the City Mini was "definitely doable for a few miles a day on vacation." - implying that the OP would be fine renting a CM now and jogging with it.

No one knows what year models the stroller companies are renting, so I would operate under the assumption that the models are post-Baby Jogger's coming out and saying you shouldn't jog with them. Especially with apple stroller, as they are new to the stroller rental business.

I wouldn't jog with a stroller that's specifically not made for jogging - even if it is just "a few miles a day on vacation".

April 2011

Old 08-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #14
Melissa&Shawn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post

I wasn't talking about what you did in 2008. I was responding to part of your post where you said the City Mini was "definitely doable for a few miles a day on vacation." - implying that the OP would be fine renting a CM now and jogging with it.

No one knows what year models the stroller companies are renting, so I would operate under the assumption that the models are post-Baby Jogger's coming out and saying you shouldn't jog with them. Especially with apple stroller, as they are new to the stroller rental business.

I wouldn't jog with a stroller that's specifically not made for jogging - even if it is just "a few miles a day on vacation".
I think we can all agree for 10-20$ the BOB would be a much better option for the OP. Having both strollers, the BOB is a dream! Have a wonderful trip!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #15
jennylyn_b

Okay thanks for the info. We are going to be using it for our 16 day trip for 1-2 miles a day. I had read so many reveiws of people using the CM for jogging I didn't realize they weren't supposed to. It was just a very good price of only $90 including delivery fees and tax thru apple.

I am going to check out kingdom strollers now. Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: