Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
Danny K
Mouseketeer

Please help me with portion sizes

I am going to disney world in 2013. Can anyone please help me with portion sizes? We are huge eaters (almost like eating machines), and worried that we won't get enough at some table service restaurants. Please tell me on a scale from 1-10 (1 very small) (10 very huge) how big the portions are for the following restaurants?

Les Chefs de France

Tutto Italia Ristorante

Cinderella's Royal Table

Yak & Yeti's Restaurant
Danny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

cannot comment on any but CRT. We think the portions have decreased since we first went in 2003 but are still plentiful. We are moderate eaters and often cannot manage three courses at restaurants but we would always manage a dessert at CRT quite easily. About a 5/10 for quantity for us but it could be much less for you.

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
Danny K
Mouseketeer

Re

Well since the portions are 5/10, do you think we would be better off changing to crystal palace? I wanted to experience eating in the castle with princesses, but portion is a big issue for us, especially for 2 credits. I am also eating dinner there so is that what you are commenting on?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Well since the portions are 5/10, do you think we would be better off changing to crystal palace? I wanted to experience eating in the castle with princesses, but portion is a big issue for us, especially for 2 credits. I am also eating dinner there so is that what you are commenting on?
unless someone can comment that they have been able to re-order dinner items (i'm not aware dinner or lunch at CRT is family style but I may be wrong and we have tried all three meals there) and big portions is important to you then it would be a waste of two credits.

We have eaten at CRT six times but we go for the castle and princesses not the food quantity. We have also eaten at all three meals at CP (again numerous times) and at the buffet there is obviously no shortage of food. If you are going for volume you won't go wrong at CP and I think you will be sorely disappointed at the portions at CRT - if I can find any pics I will post

Old 08-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Danny K
Mouseketeer

Re

Well it looks like I will have to change to Crystal Palace then. Can you give me on a scale of 1-10 about portions for CRT? I bet you think its like 2/10 or 4/10, but please give me your opinion. And if I switch to CP will I be missing out on meeting princesses, or can I just meet princesses at magic kingdom somewhere else?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

I thought that CRT was all-you-care-to-eat? It is plated individually and the initial portions are small...but at least a few years ago, you were allowed to ask for more of anything. My family asked for a second serving of appetizers and they were brought out right away. The servers don't make a big deal of advertising this, but I believe it's still the case. You might want to call Disney Dining to confirm this. We love dining in the castle, and believe everyone should try it once, if they can afford it.

At Les Chefs de France, go for the prix fixe menu. I believe that was a LOT of food, maybe 8.5-9/10. I don't know about Tutto or Y&Y.

If you're really concerned about portion sizes, I highly recommend the buffets. Biergarten was great last week and has nice entertainment. You can stay as long as you want and eat as much as you want. We also had a terrific breakfast at Crystal Palace.

We have had huge portions at La Hacienda de San Angel (DH and I shared one of their platters and we are both big eaters and couldn't finish it) and The Plaza (sandwiches are HUGE and you can have a banana split or a brownie sundae for dessert).

Have fun! We have never had anything that we would consider a "small" portion at any Disney establisment. Many of the snacks available on the DDP are HUGE!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
Danny K
Mouseketeer

Re

according to a lot of resources, you get 1 appetizer, 1 entree, and dessert, and some drinks. I don't think you can keep ordering more and more.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
Danny K
Mouseketeer

Re

Well I am not happy with biergarten because my family doesn't like german food that much, also I heard that you can possibly be eating with another group, we don't really like that. I just think biergarten isn't the right choice for us.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
according to a lot of resources, you get 1 appetizer, 1 entree, and dessert, and some drinks. I don't think you can keep ordering more and more.
You can't order multiple appetizers and multiple entrees, but at least when I was last there, you could ask for another helping of what you had originally ordered, if that makes sense. You could say, "yum that Major Domo's pie was excellent, can I please have some more," for example. Like I said, they don't tell you that you can do that, but at least 2 years ago, you could.

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Old 08-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
Danny K
Mouseketeer

re

well what I see is you can do that at breakfast but not at lunch or dinner. I will check more to confirm this but this isn't what I see, and I don't want to go to any TS place for breakfast.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
well what I see is you can do that at breakfast but not at lunch or dinner. I will check more to confirm this but this isn't what I see, and I don't want to go to any TS place for breakfast.
If you can't ask for more, I wouldn't recommend CRT. Those were the smallest portions that we have experienced at WDW. Maybe 3/10.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

see if this works - it should give you some idea. Photos taken October 2010

Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

Old 08-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #14
Danny K
Mouseketeer

Re

Okay. I have changed stuff a little. Now can you please tell me the portion sizes for these ones:

Sci Fi Dine in Theater (Dinner)

Les Chefs De France (Lunch)

Tutto Italia Ristorante (Dinner)

The Crystal Palace (Dinner)

Yak & Yeti Restaurant (Dinner)
Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

CP obviously as a buffet is very plentiful. We really enjoy it and there is stacks of choice and great character interaction.

Sci-Fi was very large portions for us too (we struggled on the dxdp to eat three courses there - you can have your milkshake either as your drink or dessert and we ended up saying we would have it as our drink and then three out of four refusing dessert and our fantastic server suggested two fruit cups and one water to make up the credits as we had refused dessert to go).

We had the dips to share and the onion rings for our three adult starters. To be honest we were fairly full after them they were proper sized appetizers. The ribs were very good for entrees and very large - DD and I swapped and I had the kids burger which was more than enough while she had my adult ribs. she swapped her fries for a fruit cup with them. DS could barely make a quarter of his adult burger - DH had some sort of fish sandwich but can't remember what. Lots was left behind and I would say we have large UK appetites which are probably medium USA ones

The only dessert we ordered was the red velvet cheesecake which I didn't care for but was a big old slab of cake.

The milkshakes were amazing :

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: