Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
1nfrequent
Mouseketeer

Haunted Mansion Closure for Halloween?

I was reading on another thread that Haunted Mansion gets closed end of August/beginning of September to get it ready for Halloween. Naturally, I'm heading for DL at the end of August (I'll be there the very last week). Does anyone know whether it's more likely it'll close before Labour Day or afterwards? Also, is Haunted Mansion the only ride that gets closed for Halloween preparation or should I be worried about other rides going down?

1F
1nfrequent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Started With a Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nfrequent View Post
I was reading on another thread that Haunted Mansion gets closed end of August/beginning of September to get it ready for Halloween. Naturally, I'm heading for DL at the end of August (I'll be there the very last week). Does anyone know whether it's more likely it'll close before Labour Day or afterwards? Also, is Haunted Mansion the only ride that gets closed for Halloween preparation or should I be worried about other rides going down?

1F
I can't remember when HM gets closed for the Xmas display, but keep in mind, Small World Holiday also gets decorations, too. Last year, it was open 6 weeks prior to Halloween, so probably a safe bet is the beginning of September the HM will be closed.
Started With a Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
D1sneyfam1ly
Earning My Ears

Space Mountain also has a halloween overlay but I don't know exactly when it is done. The Halloween stuff officiallly starts on September 14th so before then.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
rtfelt
Disneyland AP

There won't be any shutdowns for Halloween overlays until September after Labor Day--end of August won't be a problem for that.

Rose
rtfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfelt View Post
There won't be any shutdowns for Halloween overlays until September after Labor Day--end of August won't be a problem for that.
This^
It should be running during your visit.
Have fun!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

I believe prior to last year, Disney waited until after Labor Day to close HM. Last year though HM went down the Monday before Labor Day for the Halloween refurb. If they follow that plan this year, then HM would be closed starting August 27. Disney has made no official announcement of this year's plans other than to say Halloweentime is scheduled to begin Sept. 14. Space Mountain closed for the week before Halloweentime last year.
longtimedisneylurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
interstate70s
DIS Veteran

I can confirm that HM was closed for its holiday overlay the last week of Aug 2011. I was there Mon.- Sat the week before LaborDay. Sorry for bad news
interstate70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Jessica_of_FL
Mouseketeer

I wasn't at Disneyland last Labor Day, but I was there for the 3 previous Labor Days - Thurs-Mon. Haunted Mansion was closed all 3 years. We are coming in early this year, on the 25th, and am hoping to catch it open.

A True Disney Girl! This is the year of the Premier Annual Pass!
DLR lover starting in utero. DLR AP from 3 (I remember the big deal it was for me to finally be old enough to get my picture taken for that!) to 9. WDW AP off and on since age 15 (currently a Premier passholder!)
Disney Resorts I've stayed at over the years: Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Music, All Star Movies, Port Orleans Riverside, Port Orleans French Quarter, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Old Key West, Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club Villas, Hilton Head Island,The Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village The Villas at the Grand Californian

Disney Fantasy Eastern 6/2012, Disney Wonder WBPC 5/2013
Jessica_of_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
kristenm514
Mouseketeer

We will be there Aug 25 - 28 and if HM is closed I will be soooo sad. Last year it apparently went down Mon of that week so hopefully we can get several rides in on our first day or two. I thought maybe increased attendance would keep it up until Labor Day but it looks like attendance at DL isn't particularly higher than usual.
kristenm514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
MAH4546
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfelt View Post
No. Haunted mansion closes in August.
MAH4546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Haunted Mansion is likely to be close August 27th reopen September 14th.
Space Mountain is likely to close September 10th and reopen September 14th.
Both will open on the 14th as that is the start of the Halloween Season. Space gets a Halloween overlay called Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy, HM gets a Halloween and Holiday overlay called Haunted Mansion Holiday.

It's a Small World is likely to close on October 22nd and reopen on November 12th the start of the Holiday Season. It receives a Holiday layover called It's a Small World Holiday.

Space will close November 1st and reopen on the 2nd or 3rd. This is to remove its Halloween overlay.

On January 7th Haunted Mansion will close to remove its layover, and reopen about 2 weeks later. Then It's a small world closes to remover its layover reopening about 2 weeks later.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
Jessica_of_FL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Haunted Mansion is likely to be close August 27th reopen September 14th.
Space Mountain is likely to close September 10th and reopen September 14th.
Both will open on the 14th as that is the start of the Halloween Season. Space gets a Halloween overlay called Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy, HM gets a Halloween and Holiday overlay called Haunted Mansion Holiday.

It's a Small World is likely to close on October 22nd and reopen on November 12th the start of the Holiday Season. It receives a Holiday layover called It's a Small World Holiday.

Space will close November 1st and reopen on the 2nd or 3rd. This is to remove its Halloween overlay.

On January 7th Haunted Mansion will close to remove its layover, and reopen about 2 weeks later. Then It's a small world closes to remover its layover reopening about 2 weeks later.
Thank you so much for this detailed info!!

A True Disney Girl! This is the year of the Premier Annual Pass!
DLR lover starting in utero. DLR AP from 3 (I remember the big deal it was for me to finally be old enough to get my picture taken for that!) to 9. WDW AP off and on since age 15 (currently a Premier passholder!)
Disney Resorts I've stayed at over the years: Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Music, All Star Movies, Port Orleans Riverside, Port Orleans French Quarter, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Old Key West, Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club Villas, Hilton Head Island,The Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village The Villas at the Grand Californian

Disney Fantasy Eastern 6/2012, Disney Wonder WBPC 5/2013
Jessica_of_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
1nfrequent
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for the responses. I'm arriving on the afternoon of 26th so maybe I can get into the Park that evening to do HM before it shuts down (fingers crossed anyway!) I'll be really disappointed if I miss it. This is my first time in DL in 20 years and HM's one of my favourite rides. Oh well, if I do I guess it means I'll just have to go back next year ...

1F
1nfrequent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:08 AM   #14
LittleToni
Official Member of the Dis-Boards Lurker Club!

Hi I was there from Aug 23-29th of 2011 and HM was never closed.

Have fun!

LT
LittleToni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #15
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleToni View Post
Hi I was there from Aug 23-29th of 2011 and HM was never closed.

Have fun!

LT
According to DIS records HM closed on Monday Aug 29 last year:

"Historical DLR Park Hours, Entertainment and Refurbs" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2291124
DLR 11/2014, JC Blog & WOCWD Blog (Tropicana), 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: