Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3inthefamily View Post
Since I'm not sure what to talk about next on account of this report being a catchup report right now, I'll let you make the call. More on El Capitan or more on the Walt Disney Studios? I will cover the other one in a future update anyways.

Both!! I love hearing about all of it!

I'm overwhelmed planning this trip. It is our first to Southern California. We are staying 6 nights at GCV and 3 nights in San Diego at the Hotel Del Coronado. We are going to do DL with a 3 day pass. Not sure what days to go, but I am guessing weekdays are best? We received free front of the line passes to Universal from a friend. I was not planning on going but for free...why not? I am really excited for the studio tour portion. We also want to see all of the LA sights, Hollywood, Malibu, etc. I am trying to map it all out and every time I sit down to do so it gives me a headache! I think maybe I will try to start a trip report and get some feedback on this one!
You might want to add an extra day for the DL portion. 3 days is going to fly by plus being so close by staying at the GC your going to want to stay around the resort. I love the GC.
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #17
3inthefamily
Mouseketeer

We are going August 17...I think that there are no blackouts at that time. I have 6 nights there and want to get all of LA in, plus Disney. My husband also wants to find the ice cream place....Farrell's. He had a birthday party there when he was a kid and there are only a couple left in the US...only on the West Coast!

We'll have our nights to explore the hotel, and the others as well. Our night of arrival we are going to check out Trader Sam's at the DL hotel. It looks pretty cool!

Randi
May 2009 - POR Riverside
Bought BLT DVC September 2009
November 2009 - BLT
April 2010 - Vero Beach
September 2010 - BLT/MNSSHP
November 2011- SSR
April 2012 - Disney Dream
August 2012 - GCV Disneyland
November 2012 Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside/MNSSHP
3inthefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
Sleepless Knight
Jedi Knight Seeking His Jedi Princess
There's a time and a place for each

I promise a report is coming, but in the meantime it's off to Gotham City.

Sleepless Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #19
sashacns
Earning My Ears

Disneyland Half Marathon and 5K Spots

Hi!

If you know of anyone who would like to run the SOLD OUT Disneyland Half Marathon or 5K, Children's Neurobiological Solutions (CNS) Foundation still has spots for both events!!! We’re an official Disney Charity Partner, and we're racing to find cures for the 14 million U.S. children with neurological disorders, such as autism and down syndrome.

Visit our website cnsfoundationdotorg

Good luck training!!!!
sashacns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #20
Sleepless Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
You might want to add an extra day for the DL portion. 3 days is going to fly by plus being so close by staying at the GC your going to want to stay around the resort. I love the GC.
I agree with Mike here. I think 3 days being enough to fully experience the DLR parks ended the day Carsland opened. I'm of the opinion that you need 2 full days for Disneyland itself.

Honestly, I would cut a day off of L.A. I don't recommend going to Hollywood unless you're going to see a movie at El Capitan. In my opinion, it's a huge time commitment with traffic and may not be worth it. The walk of fame is interesting, but in the end it's just names of famous people and characters on the sidewalk. Same with the Chinese Theater. You may be spending 2 hours one way in traffic to walk around and see random things on the sidewalk. Again, all this changes if you're going to see a movie at El Capitan, but without that I think the extra day in the DLR is the better call.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #21
Sleepless Knight

Chapter 3: An Evening at the Walt Disney Studios

Chapter 4: An Evening at the Walt Disney Studios

Well one great thing about going to the El Capitan is that you wind up on their mailing list. And while L.A. is too far away for me to simply go to a movie down there, when you're on the El Capitan mailing list you find about what movies are showing there. And so one day in October 2009, I got something in the mail advertising the Ultimate Disney Experience. As part of the celebration of the return of hand drawn animation with The Princess and the Frog, Disney would be holding advance screenings of The Princess and the Frog at The Walt Disney Studios open to the public. So yes, once again I get to visit the Walt Disney Studios and see a new movie there.

Since the dates worked wonderfully around my traditional December trip, I decided to extend it out a day this year and see the movie at the Studios. But what's even better is that I would get to see the studios at Christmas time.

Decorations

Just in case I get lost on the way to check in, these frog prints show me the way.

Almost to the welcome center. Stay on target. Stay on target.

Sadly, this trip will not include a visit to SQUIRREL!!!!

Avast there, ye scurvy scum. . .

A different statue from Narnia. I saw the Mr. Tumnus one during my first visit as well as the actual wardrobe.

Up next: After the movie. . .
Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #22
Karenann*
Wishing upon a Star...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless Knight View Post
Thanks Mike. Sometimes I think people get caught up in this notion that Disneyland is for kids only, so they overlook the value it provides as an escape from the pressures and stress of life.
That's just how I feel...the weight of the world coming off my shoulders -carefree!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #23
Sleepless Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenann* View Post
That's just how I feel...the weight of the world coming off my shoulders -carefree!
For me that moment almost always happens as I walk through underneath the train station and see the sign about leaving the world of today behind.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #24
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

I think I in the minority here but I really liked Princess and the Frog. I thought the colors were gorgeous and the music was very catchy and entertaining.
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #25
Sleepless Knight

Quote:
I think I in the minority here but I really liked Princess and the Frog. I thought the colors were gorgeous and the music was very catchy and entertaining.
I really liked the movie too. I easily place it in my top 20 of Disney animated films. And I would place Ray the firefly in my top 10 of animated supporting characters.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #26
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree, Mike. I liked Princess and the Frog a lot. It was a *Disney* movie, not a Pixar movie (nothing wrong with Pixar at all, don't get me wrong) and it had that distinctly Disney feel to it. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but it makes sense to me .

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #27
Sleepless Knight

Makes sense to me. The movies from the two companies feel different, though at the same time I absolutely believe that Pixar has made a lot of movies just like Walt and the Nine Old Men used to make them.

I think Pixar feels more "modern" while Disney is more "timeless." But to defend Pixar, their movies feel modern without being dated.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #28
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless Knight View Post
Makes sense to me. The movies from the two companies feel different, though at the same time I absolutely believe that Pixar has made a lot of movies just like Walt and the Nine Old Men used to make them.

I think Pixar feels more "modern" while Disney is more "timeless." But to defend Pixar, their movies feel modern without being dated.
I agree on all points. Pixar movies are not dated, and reach people of all ages. I could probably spend a lot of time discussing the strengths of each company over a glass or two of wine. That is a conversation that would only be interesting to a small handful of people on this planet, though.

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #29
Sleepless Knight

I think that's what message boards are for. So that those of us who could discuss these things for hours on end have a place to do so without driving our other friends crazy.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #30
NStramler
Mouseketeer

Love the report so far... you are a wonderful writer..... I also am in love with the "Mouse"....
NStramler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: