Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Epaima
Mouseketeer

Wink A Salute to All Nations...But Mostly Walt Disney World! A June '12 TR UPDATE 8/9!

Welcome!
A Castle leads the entry way to seven lands and more,
Step inside our storybook! Imagine what's in store!

Hello! My name is Emma, and welcome to my first ever trip report!
This past trip was a mother-daughter trip that I decided to take my Mom on for her 60th birthday! I have to say that this was one of the best trips I've been on, though each of my six trips have been special and awesome in their own way.

We stayed at the Boardwalk Villas in a studio from June 9th to June 16th, 2012. Now for some introductions and some back-story to this trip!

I'm Emma, a 19 year old student at the College of William & Mary (aka the writer of this most glorious trip report). I'm planning on majoring in business with a minor in music. I've always loved Disney and ever since I was little my dream was to go to WDW. I'm also quiet around people I don't know as well a huge geek
( I love Star Wars, superheroes, animation, and the Beatles. And cats. Meow.).

I made my first trip in July 2000; the next trip was with my high school orchestra and chorus in December (Christmas week!) 2007. I have also visited with my family in July 2010, Christmas week 2010, and August 2011.

My favorite Princesses are Ariel and Aurora, though I love them all. My favorite parks are the Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. WAll*E is my favorite Pixar movie and The Little Mermaid is my favorite Disney animated classic.

My top five attractions:
1. The Haunted Mansion
2. Tower of Terror
3. Dinosaur! (you must include the exclamation point)
4. Space Mountain
5. The Great Movie Ride
Honorable Mentions: It's a Small World, Walt Disney's The Enchanted Tiki Room, Splash Mountain, Mickey's Philharmagic

I love doing the Animator's Class at the Animation building in DHS. I must visit there at least four times per trip. (I thought this smiley fit nicely). I am crazy about doing this every trip. I also have my favorite bathrooms in each of the parks because I am even that much more crazy (or cray-cray as I like to say).

My favorite Disney restaurants are Le Cellier and The Plaza Restaurant.

This is my mom, Lovina (pronounced La-vine-a. It's a Pennsylvania Dutch name). She is a high school math teacher here in Central Pa. She is the person who really pushed her love of Disney onto both me and my sister. She went on every trip to Disney that I have ever been to, as well as many previous trips before I was born (including one where she was pregnant with me!)

Her favorite princesses are all of them (she never gives me a straight answer ) Her favorite park is all of them as well. Her favorite movie is Lady and the Tramp from when she was a little girl.

Mom's favorite attractions are Soarin and pretty much any classic Disney ride.

Her favorite restaurants are Liberty Tree Tavern and Artist Point.

In all actuality my mom is agreeable to pretty much everything. That's why I like her (also because she's my mom).

I really love my mom and know that her job can be really stressful sometimes. We also share a love of WDW and planning trips there. Back in November, I decided that for her upcoming 60th birthday in June, I would take her to Disney World to celebrate and visit our laughin' place. I work a part-time job at school where I call to raise money for the college, so I would put that money into the trip as well as using my savings. I am working as a ride operator at Hershey Park this summer as well to help pay for the trip, so if you are making a visit there and see me, SAY HI! (please)

I surprised my mom with the trip on my Thanksgiving Break, and we got to planning right away (I knew that I had to include her!) She found out that one of her coworkers has DVC, and wouldn't be using her points this year. We worked out a very good deal for a studio at Boardwalk for less than we would have paid to stay at Pop Century! I am so thankful for everything that she did for us in dealing with the DVC reservations.

We made our ADR's in early January, as well as our flight reservations. I must say, this trip really made the second semester of school fly by for me. I also planned a few surprises for the trip in April, in order to make the trip even more special.

Before I forget and in case anyone was wondering, the title of this trip comes from a Sam the Eagle quote in Muppetvision 3D, because I love him and all the Muppets so much! (Ps, why doesn't spell check recognize the Muppets as a word? Ugh) I also thought this would be a fitting title due to our proximity to both Epcot and DHS while staying at Boardwalk.

Some warnings:
-There are no visits to Downtown Disney in this trip report (I typed in Downton Disney at first. Those of you who watch Modern Family will know what I mean )
-I don't take as many pictures as I should, especially of food
-The pictures that I do take are often very blurry or very dark. I'm sorry.
-I will type in my own snarky or random thoughts in that punctuation whose name eludes me but looks like this ()
-My mom does not like Stitch. At all. I have tried to convince her otherwise, but she will not listen to reason.

Some upcoming attractions:
-Our first signature dining experience
-Eating at all but one of the Magic Kingdom table service restaurants
-CUPCAKES! (nom. nom nom.)
-Walking to Hollywood Studios often
-The backside of water!
-Naps. Many naps.
-Rope drop every day!
-Many exciting and new character meet and greets
-Exciting special guest visit surprises from some CMs!

Well, that's it for now. I hope you all enjoy this trip report and join along in all the fun! Feel free to ask me anything at anytime!

Last edited by Epaima; 08-09-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Epaima
Mouseketeer

Table Of Contents

Last edited by Epaima; 08-09-2012 at 01:39 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Heidi Lou
The Mouse's Biggest Fan!

1. That is so awesome that you would do this for your mom! Glad you had a great trip!
2. I find it hilarious that your mom doesn't like stitch bc in my head i picture her running away from him in the parks like a scared child...and it is funny enough (i know that may sound mean) when a child does it, but i would laugh so hard to see an adult! haha

Can't wait to read more!
Old 07-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
jlas00
Earning My Ears

Subbing!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Epaima
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Lou View Post
1. That is so awesome that you would do this for your mom! Glad you had a great trip!
2. I find it hilarious that your mom doesn't like stitch bc in my head i picture her running away from him in the parks like a scared child...and it is funny enough (i know that may sound mean) when a child does it, but i would laugh so hard to see an adult! haha

Can't wait to read more!
Thanks! Luckily she doesn't run away, it's more of a mental thing. She refers to him as chili dog breath because of the one time we went on Stitch's Great Escape. I hope you enjoy reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlas00 View Post
Subbing!
Have fun reading!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Epaima
Mouseketeer

Chapter Two

Chapter Two: The Night Before (and the flight too!)

(This update may be kind of short, sorry!)

When we were booking everything for this trip, my mom and I decided to leave from the Philadelphia airport because it was much more cost efficient and the times were better for leaving and arriving. This would mean that we would spend the night before departure at my aunt's house.

So after some packing for a few days for me and in like an hour for my mom (we are leaving about two hours after her last day of school ended), it was about time to drive down.

The hardest part about leaving home is leaving the five cats we have (technically six now, but I'll save that story for the very end ) My sister prepared a goodbye for us from one cat. I think that the picture will speak a thousand words here for me.

This is my sister and our cat Momo (short for Cosmo) (the other cats' names are Tina, Tillie, Gizmo, and Jack Jack)

Yes, he is dressed up as a cow. This is fairly normal in my household.

Once we said goodbye to the cats, my dad, and brother, my sister drove us down to my Aunt Denise's. (We, of course, listened to the Four Parks - One World cd. What else would I listen to?)

After having some yummy Chinese food with my aunt and grandfather, we got ready to try to go to bed early so that our wake-up time of 5:00 am wouldn't seem so bad. Of course, it was at this time that I realized that I left the important pills that I have to take daily... at home. Oops.

Due to a fluke in the prescription, my mom was luckily able to get another pack of it. Of course she had to drive an hour to find a 24-hour pharmacy to get it, so I felt really guilty because it meant one less hour sleep for her.

Sorry again mom! (I feel like something must go wrong at the beginning of my trips in order for it to be super duper good, so I took this as a good sign).

After a fitful night of sleep (including the hour from 3:13 to 4:10ish where I woke up and desperately craved a burrito from Neato Burrito), we all woke up at five and were ready to go.

We checked into the flight with no problem (though this was our first time on Southwest, so my mom didn't understand the free seating concept). For breakfast I had half a cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese and my mom had a spinach and cheese croissant (I think).

Unfortunately, we didn't end up sitting with each other. I sat next to Kayla and her grandmother! Kayla was about three and was excited to be going to Disney for the first time and to eat with the princesses. I listening to their plans, and it sounded like they were going to have a lot of fun. Hopefully everything went well for them!

For the rest of the two hour flight, I listened to my ipod (the whole Little Mermaid soundtrack and some other Disney classics). We landed right on time and I met up with my mom. After riding the mini-not Disney- monorail, we walked to the Magical Express, which I miraculously remembered exactly where to go.

Soon this sign was in our sights, and we were on our way to the hotel!

Old 07-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
OnSpaceshipEarth
DIS Veteran

You've got "Haunted Mansion" at #1...awesome!!!!

I agree with your mom as pertaining to her "favorite park"...all of them!!!! Honestly, all four parks are so different and special. I couldn't fathom going to WDW and not going to all four.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
AryaForQueen
.*:*.*Queen in the North*.*:*.

Looks like a good report! Subbing

The very things that hold you down are going to lift you up
Have faith in your dreams, and someday, your rainbow will come smiling through
Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy

When the snow falls and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.
Winter is Coming.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
Motocross Tink
ging Mr. Morrow. Mr. Tom Morrow ~ Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas ~

Joining in and subbing! Looks like a fun trip!!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #10
Epaima
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnSpaceshipEarth View Post
You've got "Haunted Mansion" at #1...awesome!!!!

I agree with your mom as pertaining to her "favorite park"...all of them!!!! Honestly, all four parks are so different and special. I couldn't fathom going to WDW and not going to all four.
I'm glad you like that I like the Haunted Mansion; I'm pretty sure my life would be incomplete without it.

Definitely agree with having to go to all four parks whenever I go to WDW. I sometimes feel really guilty that I do like the two parks better than the others, but I really do love them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AryaForQueen View Post
Looks like a good report! Subbing
Thanks! I hope it lives up to your expectations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocross Tink View Post
Joining in and subbing! Looks like a fun trip!!
Thank you! Have fun reading
Old 07-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
mousetravel
DIS Veteran

Joining in your TR!, because I love mom/daughter TR's. My DD & I always travel together and we love it! We were also there about the same time as you were. (June 13-21)

Can't wait to hear more!!!
Mom/Daughter PTR: Christmas Trip! 2011 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post42724982
Mom/Daughter Trip Report June 2011: Disney Dream! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2744972
Mom/Daughter Trip Report: Disney & Sea World 2010
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2443520

Mom/Daughter Trip Report: WDW & Disney Cruise 2009 ttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2095302
Old 07-16-2012, 04:16 AM   #12
MEK
DIS Veteran

Subbing!

What's not to like about a mother/daughter trip to Disney? I was actually at the world the same time as you - June 9th - 18th. The later part of our stay was at the BWV.

Congrats on your acceptance to W&M. Having taking 3 recent trips to Williamsburg and recently touring the campus, I have to say that it is an absolutely beautiful school. You are very very fortunate to have that education in your future.

I am also a cat lover - especially black cats.

Will continue to read now.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 07-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
Epaima
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Subbing!

What's not to like about a mother/daughter trip to Disney? I was actually at the world the same time as you - June 9th - 18th. The later part of our stay was at the BWV.

Congrats on your acceptance to W&M. Having taking 3 recent trips to Williamsburg and recently touring the campus, I have to say that it is an absolutely beautiful school. You are very very fortunate to have that education in your future.

I am also a cat lover - especially black cats.

Will continue to read now.
Thanks! Words do not describe how much I love W&M, so I always enjoy hearing about others visiting the campus and liking it as well.

I just started reading your recent trip report; maybe we will see some similar things because of the similar dates! I hope you enjoy reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousetravel View Post
Joining in your TR!, because I love mom/daughter TR's. My DD & I always travel together and we love it! We were also there about the same time as you were. (June 13-21)

Can't wait to hear more!!!
It's always great to hear about other mother/daughter trips! I read through your TR last night and loved it! Have fun reading this one!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
Epaima
Mouseketeer

Chapter Three

Chapter Three: Arriving Home for the First Time!

I really love being on the Magical Express (at least on the way to WDW!), even though I feel like I never truly appreciate it as much as I should. I'm just too excited to get to the hotel and parks, that it just passes by in a flash.

I didn't take any pictures of the welcome arch because we weren't in the front and half of my pictures are really blurry even when I'm standing still. I think I may have tried but realized that I was fighting a losing battle.

The first stop on our magical journey was Port Orleans Riverside. It looked like a very nice place to stay (maybe a future trip? I really want to stay in the Royal rooms at least once in my life!). Pretty much the entire bus got off here.

We continued watching a camping Donald short until this beautiful sight came into view.

Yay! Finally home!

We were instantly greeted by a super friendly CM with a clipboard who I think greeted us by name (at first I was freaking out because I know they do this sort of thing for concierge level guests).

She then handed us off to Xavier, who got us checked in easily and answered all our questions about staying in a DVC room on rented points. He took our room requests for either ground floor or near an elevator (my mom has a bad knee and we had heard how long the hallways can be. Also when we stayed at CS, we were on the fourth floor with no elevator near by.)

We then picked up our tickets and added them to our Keys to the World, no problem.

Funny (funny?) story about tickets. Back in early spring, I had my mom go to Target and buy all the Disney gift cards using her Target Red Card (savings of 5% on everything!), which I would then pay her back. I think we bought $1400 dollars worth to cover our tickets, food, and souvenirs. Tragedy struck when the ticket price (I typed prince at first haha where is my head) increase happened June 3rd, one week before we would arrive. We knew there was a chance of this happening, and had hoped for the best. We decided we would buy then to save around $100 dollars, but you can only use two methods of payment over the phone. (Ughhh). Also, the first three people we called were unaware of the increase on Friday afternoon until one CM checked the notifications on the system, even after the Disney Parks Blog had posted about it. We waited until Saturday to make our final decision. We ended up using one $50 gift card and a credit card to purchase them, making the large amount of gift cards we had ridiculous. So yeah.

Back to happier things.

Our room wasn't ready yet and we weren't expecting it to be, so we continued on with our plan and left to go to our first park!

We passed this nice hotel along the way.

And this really nice hotel (I dream of being able to stay here ).

And we were seeing this very shortly!

Hooray for Hollywood Studios! And hooray for a 10 to 15 minute walk from the lobby after asking a random man by the pool for directions!

Until next time!

Old 07-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
MINNIEmeetsTINK
Earning My Ears

Subbing

Hoping for a Mother/Daughter trip one day as well

Speaking of my mother... At one point she had over 23 cats/kittens she has since been down graded to aproximatly 6 herself

Awaiting the next time I can visit....

"One Disney Day...with No Parks"- July 2012 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954234

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: