Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #511
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Thanks for the info! I've got to go ahead and do Prime. I don't know why I've held out. It's one of the only websites I shop, and I have a Kindle. I'll bet it's cheaper than buying all of the books that I usually buy!
If you use Amazon at all frequently, it is well worth it. I have had Prime for years and years - I buy from Amazon a LOT (especially now that we live in the middle of nowhere) and I love, love, love that everything I buy is shipped with 2-day shipping at no cost. And now the free books. And I think there are also free movies for the iPad.
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:30 PM   #512
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
If you have Amazon Prime, you can just shop for books on the Kindle - when you click on a book, if it is one that they loan for free, you will have the option to buy or to borrow. You can only borrow one book at a time, but it is awesome! I didn't buy any of the Hunger Games books.
Quote:
If you use Amazon at all frequently, it is well worth it. I have had Prime for years and years - I buy from Amazon a LOT (especially now that we live in the middle of nowhere) and I love, love, love that everything I buy is shipped with 2-day shipping at no cost. And now the free books. And I think there are also free movies for the iPad.
Ok, I seriously need to look into doing Amazon prime! I have a Kindle & I shop on Amazon a good bit. And you can get movies for the iPad? I need to get a rain cover for our stroller (can't find ours) before going to Disney. I was thinking of buying it on Amazon. If I do so, I think I'll sign up for Prime.
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #513
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Ok, I seriously need to look into doing Amazon prime! I have a Kindle & I shop on Amazon a good bit. And you can get movies for the iPad? I need to get a rain cover for our stroller (can't find ours) before going to Disney. I was thinking of buying it on Amazon. If I do so, I think I'll sign up for Prime.
Honestly, it is more than worth it. It saves me a lot of money - shipping gets pricey! And now that they have added additional benefits, it is even better. I absolutely love that I don't have to pay for books anymore!

And yep - free movies too. Here is what the email about it says (I haven't used it yet):
Quote:
We're excited to announce that Amazon Instant Video is now available on iPad. If you own an iPad, simply download the app, sign in to your Amazon account, and Prime Instant Video will be ready to stream immediately. You can also buy or rent any movie or TV show from the Amazon Instant Video store for enjoyment on iPad or on hundreds of other compatible devices.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #514
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info on Amazon Prime! I didn't realize it had so many benefits. I thought it was just shipping benefits. Will definitely look into it more for us!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #515
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the info on Amazon Prime! I didn't realize it had so many benefits. I thought it was just shipping benefits. Will definitely look into it more for us!
Until recently, it was just the shipping (for me - that alone was worth the price), but I love the latest additions!
Old 08-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #516
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

I'll bet DH would sign us up for it tomorrow if I told him about the free movies for iPad! I wonder if they have any free audio books? He'd love that.

I really should have signed up years ago. I do quite a bit of shopping on Amazon at Christmas. Free shipping is my favorite thing! I hate paying for shipping.
shan23877 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #517
LittleGirlGrey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
If you have Amazon Prime, you can just shop for books on the Kindle - when you click on a book, if it is one that they loan for free, you will have the option to buy or to borrow. You can only borrow one book at a time, but it is awesome! I didn't buy any of the Hunger Games books.
I have Amazon Prime too! But I did buy the Hunger Games books. I read and re-read them ALL the time. But I'm a HUGE bookworm.

Can't wait for more!!!

I don't know what I'll do when you're done with this TR!!!

One word love; curiosity. You long for freedom. You long to do what you want to do because you want it. To act on selfish impulse. You want to see what it's like. One day you won't be able to resist.
LittleGirlGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #518
megan511
Mouseketeer

That slide looks like a lot of fun!

Alaska Donald is so adorable!

Those desserts look good. What great customer service. It seems like everyone you encountered was so nice and that's what makes Disney the best.

I'm going to have to look into Amazon Prime too! Thanks for the info.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #519
megan511
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I have a couple of friends that are obsessed with it, too. The only reason why I read the books is because one of my obsessed friends lent them to me when Reid was born. Obviously, I was having to wake all through the night to feed him. And he had to be held upright for 30-60 mins after every feeding because he had reflux. So, I read them while I was holding him up before putting him back to bed.

I'm so glad to know my DH is not the only one who likes the movies. Ed will seriously watch them any time they're on TV.

I do not get the obsession at all. I guess maybe teenagers I can see it. I'm sure Chad has seen all the movies on Netflix he is just too embarrassed to tell me!

I am so glad I'm not the only one who found his book to drag. I love Andy so much & wanted to love the book. But it's just meh.

I liked it & had a few laugh out loud moments. I wanted more behind the scenes Bravo stuff though. I needed more Housewives dirt!

I have no interest in the Fifty Shades of Gray. Seems like people either love it or hate it. I'm seriously considering starting the Game of Thrones series. Anyone read it?

I would never have considered it if this friend hadn't said it was good. I trust her opinion! My brother has all the Game of Thrones book and gave me the first one to read. He says they are really great. I'll let you know how it is when I get to reading it!

Kudos to you for not being sucked into that trap! If I gave Reid a choice of where to eat every day, he would choose one of two places: the Target food court or IHOP.

OMG, Anthony loves IHOP! He always wants to go there.

You are so right about why you can't put these books down! And the movies are even worse. And I'm sorry but I just can't deal with vampires that sparkle. I mean, really?!?

When that happened in the movie I busted out laughing. And vampires are not sensitive, they are mean! They are VAMPIRES!

That's funny! Ed & I both pretty geeky. But, he always laughs about how he's the engineer, went to an engineering school yet I'm still more geeky than him.
I am definitely the geeky one. I'll never forget when Anthony & I were talking Star Wars & Chad looked at us & said, "wait, Darth Vader kills Obi Wan?" I about slapped him. It was almost as bad as when I was helping him with a history test & he said, "the US lost WWII right?" See why he needed my help?

Last edited by megan511; 08-18-2012 at 09:10 AM.
megan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #520
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'll bet DH would sign us up for it tomorrow if I told him about the free movies for iPad! I wonder if they have any free audio books? He'd love that.

I really should have signed up years ago. I do quite a bit of shopping on Amazon at Christmas. Free shipping is my favorite thing! I hate paying for shipping.
Paying for shipping makes me ANGRY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGirlGrey View Post
I have Amazon Prime too! But I did buy the Hunger Games books. I read and re-read them ALL the time. But I'm a HUGE bookworm.

Can't wait for more!!!

I don't know what I'll do when you're done with this TR!!!
Well, soon you will be on your own cruise! And then you can write a TR - I can't wait to hear about that cruise!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan511 View Post
That slide looks like a lot of fun!

Alaska Donald is so adorable!

Those desserts look good. What great customer service. It seems like everyone you encountered was so nice and that's what makes Disney the best.

I'm going to have to look into Amazon Prime too! Thanks for the info.
Yes, our experience with the Wonder CMs just couldn't be topped - phenomenal!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #521
RGirl
DIS Veteran

So, I'm sitting here watching Titanic (haven't seen it in years!), and, although I'm feeling a bit sad that this TR is quickly coming to an end, I thought it was the perfect time for an update!

29. A Pirate’s Life for DD! (Day 5)

When I last left you, DD was enjoying a very late lunch in the stateroom. I enjoyed reading some more while she watched her movie and The Judies rested. Eventually, DD said that she really didn’t want to go to dinner tonight but to the kids club instead. That was fine - she had really had a very late lunch!

At about 4:00, DD and I took showers and got ready for the evening. Tonight was Pirate Night, so we checked the Navigator and figured that we would be able to meet Pirate Stitch if we headed down to Deck 4.

We thought about going down to meet Captain Hook and Smee next, but their line was insane. Instead, we walked over to Preludes (just outside the Walt Disney Theater) to see how long Jack Sparrow’s line was. I figured this was a lost cause, that the line would be insane since Jack was due to arrive in about 5 minutes, but it was not long at all. And who was in line in front of us? Our mother-son friends from Australia! I was slightly disappointed to see that she was not armed with a cocktail, but we had a nice time in line. All the moms were talking about how they wished it was the “real” Jack Sparrow. DD was pretty excited to meet Captain Jack.

She really enjoyed this meet! And then she was ready for the kids club!

Up next: 30. A Grown-Up Meal
Old 08-19-2012, 12:35 AM   #522
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

I love all of the unique character meets that Willow got to do! Pirate Stitch and Captain Jack look awesome!

No judging about the dinner skippage. At least once a month Maddie convinces me to let her have popcorn for lunch.

I can't wait to hear about Pirate Night with the Judies! Please tell me one of them donned a bandana!

In unrelated news: I think Bryan may be on board for a June 2013 trip, and today I priced some out. If we rent DVC (I looked at David's rentals), a studio at the BC would be cheaper than CBR!!!!

I think I'm gonna start plotting my ADRs soon-just in case he agrees.
shan23877 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #523
megan511
Mouseketeer

Aww I love Pirate Stitch! All the characters on the Wonder are so cute in their costumes.

It seems like Willow really loved the kids club.

Looking forward to hearing more about Pirate Night!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #524
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I love all of the unique character meets that Willow got to do! Pirate Stitch and Captain Jack look awesome!

No judging about the dinner skippage. At least once a month Maddie convinces me to let her have popcorn for lunch.

I can't wait to hear about Pirate Night with the Judies! Please tell me one of them donned a bandana!

In unrelated news: I think Bryan may be on board for a June 2013 trip, and today I priced some out. If we rent DVC (I looked at David's rentals), a studio at the BC would be cheaper than CBR!!!!

I think I'm gonna start plotting my ADRs soon-just in case he agrees.
The characters on-board were really fun - I hope we meet more next time!

Friday and Saturday nights at our house are popcorn nights - I usually make something else for Willow in addition to that, but not much!

Oh, renting DVC points is great! I hope you get to do it. Although I wish you were going in August.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan511 View Post
Aww I love Pirate Stitch! All the characters on the Wonder are so cute in their costumes.

It seems like Willow really loved the kids club.

Looking forward to hearing more about Pirate Night!
Yeah, the characters were great!

Willow did think the kids' club was great - she wants to go back!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #525
RGirl
DIS Veteran

30. A Grown-Up Meal and a Toy-Filled Show (Day 5)

When I last left you, DD had opted for the kids club over dinner after her momentous meeting with Jack Sparrow. I dropped her off and headed back to the staterooms to collect The Judies. They had just realized that it was dinner time and were getting ready. We were assigned to Parrot Cay tonight, which seemed perfect for Pirate Night.

The Judies tried out their martini trick from last night here. Poor Doulson was totally confused by their order, but he made it happen. I think I ordered a cosmo or some such cocktail - none of the menu specials sounded very appealing to me.

For my appetizer, I had the Caribbean-Style Conch Chowder - with sherry, sweet peppers, onions, tomatoes, thyme, and garnished with diced potatoes and crispy bacon bits. Tasty.

The Judies both had the Pirates Golden “Pot Stickers” - Oriental pork dumplings deep fried and served with a tamarind-ginger soy sauce and pickled vegetables. They liked them a lot.

Judy 1 and I both chose Jack Sparrow’s Barbecue Marinated Beef Short Ribs - rubbed beef short ribs with tamarind-barbecue sauce served with onion red bliss mashed potatoes and plantain chip. We thought this was yummy!

Judy 2 had the Castaway Chicken Breast - rubbed with Pirate Island spice, rice and beans, and fried okra on rich spiced glaze. And I didn’t get a picture!

None of the desserts was very non-gluten-friendly, but I was good with that because it meant Mickey Bar for me!

The Judies both ordered the Walk the Triple Layered Chocolate Gangplank Cake. I think they enjoyed it.

At some point, there was a pirate parade featuring servers and guests, but none of my pics really came out.

When we had finished dinner, we noticed that I had not yet received a text from the kids club, so we decided to walk on down to Route 66 and the Cadillac Lounge. The three of us enjoyed a little Rosa Regale here. Yum! I tried to get some pictures for y’all. Sorry - they didn’t turn out that great.

This was a lovely way to spend the evening. (I still look forward to hanging out here by myself with a glass of champagne and my kindle one day. )

At 8:00, I left to pick up DD for Toy Story: The Musical, which was starting at 8:30. I had promised DD that she could wear jammies to the show (DD LOVES jammies - more than anyone I have ever known ), so we went back to the stateroom so that she could change. We discovered that Clive had left us and The Judies a hanging monkey.

We also noticed that he had replaced DD’s regular white sheets with princess sheets. She was thrilled!

We made our way to the Walt Disney Theater. We stopped at Preludes for treats - some chocolate-covered popcorn and possibly a glass of wine for Mommy.

DD was thrilled to be at the show in her jammies!

DD and I really enjoyed this show - they did a live-action version of the first Toy Story pretty accurately despite the shorter time. The songs were fun, and the performers all did great jobs.

When the show ended, I let DD decide whether we would do the pirate party, which was at 10:00. She was just far too tired and wanted to go back to the stateroom. She was fast asleep by 10:00.

The ship was REALLY rocking tonight. Both Judy 2 and I were always really aware of movement - not in a bad way, just aware of it - but tonight there was no missing it!

Tonight I also had a message in my “fish” (the hanger on the outside of the door) from the cruise booking desk. They had given me the prices on the two cruises about which I had inquired. I kept looking at the prices and wondering whether they were the total price or per person…….

Next up: 31. Some Shopping and Some Walking (Day 6)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: