Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #496
megan511
Mouseketeer

I love the pictures! That pic of the Wonder with the mountain in the background is gorgeous. I would blow it up and frame it. Or send it to DCL to put in the brochure.

The dogs are adorable. I'm sorry the excursion wasn't as fun as you were thinking though. My kids would have been trying to get back to the boat too! That's too funny about Willow and the bus driver and Willow and the outhouse.

Chatty McDogfood

I wanted to jump in the book talk if that's ok. I actually love Stephen King (don't throw things!) which books did you read that you didn't enjoy?

The Hunger Games are fantastic.

Twilight is awful. I had never even heard of it until the first movie came out and Chad (yes, you read that right, my husband) wanted to see it. I thought it was atrocious. My SIL is obsessed with it though.

In regards to Andy Cohen's book I had the same problem Amanda. I liked the stuff at the beginning about him and his parents and I liked the Bravo stuff. The CBS stuff dragged and I was stuck there for a while.

I may check some of these other books out. I love to read I just have not had time. My good friend gave me Fifty Shades of Gray to read. I had no desire to read it at all until she gave it to me and said its really good. She didn't think she would like it either and since I trust her opinion I guess I will give it a go. I haven't been motivated to start it yet though.

I visit Target all the time, we call it our second home. I have successfully avoided the food court every time. I do not want to open that can of worms.

Anyways, I hope everyone has a great Friday!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #497
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan511 View Post

Chatty McDogfood

I may check some of these other books out. I love to read I just have not had time. My good friend gave me Fifty Shades of Gray to read. I had no desire to read it at all until she gave it to me and said its really good. She didn't think she would like it either and since I trust her opinion I guess I will give it a go. I haven't been motivated to start it yet though.

I visit Target all the time, we call it our second home. I have successfully avoided the food court every time. I do not want to open that can of worms.

2. My MIL found Fifty Shades on my bookshelf and took it down to borrow it. How do you tell your MIL that it might not be appropriate reading material for an 84 year old proper granny?

3. Target Food Court Herman Story: Had to do major shopping, socks to sweatshirts, for 4 kids in one morning. Planted them at a table at the food court with Grandma, and plucked them out one at a time for a shopping whirl. They drank refillable soda for 3 hours!

Thanks RGirl for letting us hijack your wonderful trip report... now back to the regularly scheduled programming!

TR: June 17, 2012 NY-CANADA Sailaway with us!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954385
PRE-TRIP REPORT:CALLING ALL NY-CANADA CRUISERS
!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2824051

Last edited by HermanTriplets+1; 08-17-2012 at 09:48 AM.
HermanTriplets+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #498
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

You guys are cracking me up!

I'm sorry that the dog sled excursion wasn't all you imagined it to be, I would have been disappointed with all the chit-chat too! Seriously, they needed more dog petting and sled riding, I'm doubting anyone signed up to hear about dog food!

I'm going to have to go back and check out those book selections, I'm currently book-less and bored. I even read all the twilight books, because I had nothing else to read and we had them in the house. Why did we have them in the house? Because my husband read ALL of them a few years ago- he is such a 13 year old girl! (and yes, he has also read the Hunger Games )

Seriously, don't read them. Once you pick them up you can't stop reading, not because they are good, but because they are so gosh darn awful you keep thinking "there is no way these can get any worse" and then they do! They were so awful it was hilarious, but I did feel like I needed to wash my eyes out after I finished to cleanse them from all the horrible melodrama.
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #499
megan511
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanTriplets+1 View Post

2. My MIL found Fifty Shades on my bookshelf and took it down to borrow it. How do you tell your MIL that it might not be appropriate reading material for an 84 year old proper granny?

3. Target Food Court Herman Story: Had to do major shopping, socks to sweatshirts, for 4 kids in one morning. Planted them at a table at the food court with Grandma, and plucked them out one at a time for a shopping whirl. They drank refillable soda for 3 hours!

Thanks RGirl for letting us hijack your wonderful trip report... now back to the regularly scheduled programming!
That's funny! I have hidden that book under my bed. Even though I am a grown woman, I'm pretty sure if my mom ever saw it she would tell me I'm not allowed to read it. I can only imagine what I would say if my mom asked to read it! I do know that my MIL has read it as she posted it on Facebook.

That is a great idea about the food court! I may steal it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post

I'm sorry that the dog sled excursion wasn't all you imagined it to be, I would have been disappointed with all the chit-chat too! Seriously, they needed more dog petting and sled riding, I'm doubting anyone signed up to hear about dog food!

I'm going to have to go back and check out those book selections, I'm currently book-less and bored. I even read all the twilight books, because I had nothing else to read and we had them in the house. Why did we have them in the house? Because my husband read ALL of them a few years ago- he is such a 13 year old girl! (and yes, he has also read the Hunger Games )

Seriously, don't read them. Once you pick them up you can't stop reading, not because they are good, but because they are so gosh darn awful you keep thinking "there is no way these can get any worse" and then they do! They were so awful it was hilarious, but I did feel like I needed to wash my eyes out after I finished to cleanse them from all the horrible melodrama.
I know my husband would have read Twilight if he thought I would let him live it down. as soon as we got home from tht movie he went on Wikipedia to find out what happens in the other books. I tell him he is a tween girl all the time (with love of course.) He also watches iCarly and has Bieber fever.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #500
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Quote:
I love the pictures! That pic of the Wonder with the mountain in the background is gorgeous. I would blow it up and frame it. Or send it to DCL to put in the brochure.

The dogs are adorable. I'm sorry the excursion wasn't as fun as you were thinking though. My kids would have been trying to get back to the boat too! That's too funny about Willow and the bus driver and Willow and the outhouse.

Chatty McDogfood

I wanted to jump in the book talk if that's ok. I actually love Stephen King (don't throw things!) which books did you read that you didn't enjoy?

IT was the one I couldn't handle. Pretty much stopped there. I'm hoping I'll like the new one though.

Twilight is awful. I had never even heard of it until the first movie came out and Chad (yes, you read that right, my husband) wanted to see it. I thought it was atrocious. My SIL is obsessed with it though.

In regards to Andy Cohen's book I had the same problem Amanda. I liked the stuff at the beginning about him and his parents and I liked the Bravo stuff. The CBS stuff dragged and I was stuck there for a while.

I liked it, but I read it when we were at the hotel with horrible cable and spotty internet access. That may have had something to do with it.

Anyways, I hope everyone has a great Friday!
Good for you! Seriously hold firm. You buy them a snack ONCE so that you can get your shopping done in peace, and BAM! you have to every. single. time.

Quote:

That? Is brilliant.

Yeah, thanks Roni!

Quote:

these poor husbands are all getting outed today!

So glad I never started them.
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #501
megan511
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Good for you! Seriously hold firm. You buy them a snack ONCE so that you can get your shopping done in peace, and BAM! you have to every. single. time.

Yeah I know that would happen. And as much as we are there I can not afford it!

Yeah, thanks Roni!

So glad I never started them.
I know, right? Chad is pretty secure, he wouldn't mind. We are the odd couple. I like nerdy, scifi, fantasy stuff and he likes chick flicks! At least we agree on Disney.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #502
RGirl
DIS Veteran

28. Braving the Waters (Day 5)

When last I left you, we were making our way back from our dog sledding excursion. As you may recall, all DD wanted to do while on the excursion was go back to the boat and swim. So as soon as we returned to the ship, DD changed into her swimsuit and we hit the Mickey Pool. The Judies joined us.

Can you spot DD on her way up to the slide???

She liked the slide, but it was just too cold out in the air to make the trip back up and wait in line.

While I was waiting for DD to come down the slide, I turned to my right, and spotted Donald Duck in his Alaska gear. No one had realized he was there, so I chatted with him a for a while. I told him to look at those crazy kids, and he mimed being really cold. I said “that’s my daughter up there” and pointed. I do believe he made the crazy gesture.

Eventually, I joined The Judies at a table. It was very funny because, this being a port day, there was no brunch at Palo. So all the Palo CMs were having to work the Mickey Pool area. It was really amusing. Our friend Selcuk actually came down from Deck 10 where he was working to say hi to us, and Veronique stopped by our table to chat as well.

We grabbed a late lunch at Pluto’s Doghouse. DD hopped out of the pool a few times to take a bite.

The Judies started wondering about where one might get some tasty sweets, and I realized that I had no idea. Beach Blanket was closed for lunch, and none of the pool-side CS places have desserts. We spotted another Palo friend (Judy - - yep, that’s right; all 3 of them had had a good time with that on our second Palo night) working at Goofy’s Galley, so I went to ask her if there was somewhere one could score desserts. I really just wanted her to tell me where to go, but she was all, “Oh, I’ll take care of that!” and grabbed another CM and told him to get inside and find some desserts at Beach Blanket. Soon these were delivered to The Judies.

Eventually, DD had had enough and wanted to take her lunch back to the stateroom to eat.

She enjoyed watching a movie and chowing down a very late lunch.

Up next: 29. A Pirate’s Life for DD!
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #503
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
I have a couple of friends that are obsessed with it, too. The only reason why I read the books is because one of my obsessed friends lent them to me when Reid was born. Obviously, I was having to wake all through the night to feed him. And he had to be held upright for 30-60 mins after every feeding because he had reflux. So, I read them while I was holding him up before putting him back to bed.

I'm so glad to know my DH is not the only one who likes the movies. Ed will seriously watch them any time they're on TV.

Quote:
I am so glad I'm not the only one who found his book to drag. I love Andy so much & wanted to love the book. But it's just meh.

Quote:
I have no interest in the Fifty Shades of Gray. Seems like people either love it or hate it. I'm seriously considering starting the Game of Thrones series. Anyone read it?

Quote:
Kudos to you for not being sucked into that trap! If I gave Reid a choice of where to eat every day, he would choose one of two places: the Target food court or IHOP.

Quote:

OMG!! This has me !

Quote:
That is so very smart of you! I'm glad I only have 1 because if I had 4, I would never think of doing something like that. I'd be going crazy trying to do it all at once.

Quote:
That's hilarious that he read the Twilight series! Ed loves the movies but I don't think he'd read the books. I did get him to read the Hunger Games trilogy once I told him how good those were. The only other books I've convinced him to read were the Harry Potter books.

Quote:
You are so right about why you can't put these books down! And the movies are even worse. And I'm sorry but I just can't deal with vampires that sparkle. I mean, really?!?

Quote:
I know, right? Chad is pretty secure, he wouldn't mind. We are the odd couple. I like nerdy, scifi, fantasy stuff and he likes chick flicks! At least we agree on Disney.
That's funny! Ed & I both pretty geeky. But, he always laughs about how he's the engineer, went to an engineering school yet I'm still more geeky than him.
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #504
amandaw
DIS Veteran

I was posting as you were posting the update!

I'm so glad Willow got to go swimming! And how fun that you got to chat with Alaskan Donald! LOVE IT!!!

Ok, those CM's are too awesome! I mean....going get the desserts for y'all? AWESOME!!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #505
shan23877

Alaska Donald is adorable!

I can't believe that Willow braved the cold in the pool for so long! She must have been having a great time!

How sweet that they rounded up some sweets for the Judies! It really sounds like the service was spectacular.

3 Judies? They could start a club!

At my last job we'd host a group of older ladies once a month who all belonged to the "Lois Club". You guessed it, they were all named Lois-it's a requirement for membership. My favorite thing to was walk into the room and get their attention to announce "Ladies, we have a phone call for Lois". They ate it up.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #506
RGirl
DIS Veteran

BOOK CHAT! I can't respond to all the different comments separately because I'll never catch up!

I thought the Hunger Games trilogy was a very fun summer read. I have never read any of the Twilight books and have no interest in doing so. I sometimes feel like I am the only person on the planet who hasn't read them, and I have a number of friends who were obsessed with them. I don't get it.

I am loving that Amazon now offers free book-borrowing for the Kindle. I have never read the Harry Potter series, and I just borrowed the first one and am reading it now.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #507
shan23877

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
BOOK CHAT! I can't respond to all the different comments separately because I'll never catch up!

I thought the Hunger Games trilogy was a very fun summer read. I have never read any of the Twilight books and have no interest in doing so. I sometimes feel like I am the only person on the planet who hasn't read them, and I have a number of friends who were obsessed with them. I don't get it.

I am loving that Amazon now offers free book-borrowing for the Kindle. I have never read the Harry Potter series, and I just borrowed the first one and am reading it now.
How does the book borrow work? Is it with friends only or more like a public library? I'm in need of things to read!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #508
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I was posting as you were posting the update!

I'm so glad Willow got to go swimming! And how fun that you got to chat with Alaskan Donald! LOVE IT!!!

Ok, those CM's are too awesome! I mean....going get the desserts for y'all? AWESOME!!
My alone time with Donald was very special. Actually, it was just so weird that we were just standing there "chatting" for quite a few minutes before anyone really realized that he was there. And then he kind of strolled off, took a picture or two, and then waddled up the stairs to Deck 10. I LOVE the Alaska gear the characters sported!

The Wonder CMs were the best we have ever had anywhere - I have never had customer service like that before or since.

Quote:
Alaska Donald is adorable!

I can't believe that Willow braved the cold in the pool for so long! She must have been having a great time!

How sweet that they rounded up some sweets for the Judies! It really sounds like the service was spectacular.

3 Judies? They could start a club!

At my last job we'd host a group of older ladies once a month who all belonged to the "Lois Club". You guessed it, they were all named Lois-it's a requirement for membership. My favorite thing to was walk into the room and get their attention to announce "Ladies, we have a phone call for Lois". They ate it up.
Willow was loving that pool!

Honestly, the service was above and beyond anything I could have imagined. My mom and I were actually just talking about it tonight with a friend who is visiting - there really aren't words to describe how great it was.

The Three Judies were hilarious! I actually have a great picture of all three of them that I need to print for The Judies. '

I LOVE the Lois Club - that is fantastic!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #509
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How does the book borrow work? Is it with friends only or more like a public library? I'm in need of things to read!
If you have Amazon Prime, you can just shop for books on the Kindle - when you click on a book, if it is one that they loan for free, you will have the option to buy or to borrow. You can only borrow one book at a time, but it is awesome! I didn't buy any of the Hunger Games books.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #510
shan23877

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
If you have Amazon Prime, you can just shop for books on the Kindle - when you click on a book, if it is one that they loan for free, you will have the option to buy or to borrow. You can only borrow one book at a time, but it is awesome! I didn't buy any of the Hunger Games books.
Thanks for the info! I've got to go ahead and do Prime. I don't know why I've held out. It's one of the only websites I shop, and I have a Kindle. I'll bet it's cheaper than buying all of the books that I usually buy!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: