Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #46
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord 13 View Post
Weird question. What's the policy on overtime?
You'll get it. Probably a lot of it. They really don't care at all, until you start getting in to double time.

Former Epcot CM

PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009176
ladypage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #47
Sith Lord 13
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypage View Post
You'll get it. Probably a lot of it. They really don't care at all, until you start getting in to double time.
Can someone clarify what exactly double time is? I know it's 2x pay, but when do you get it?
Sith Lord 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2012, 03:28 AM   #48
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord 13 View Post
Can someone clarify what exactly double time is? I know it's 2x pay, but when do you get it?
Oh gosh, I can't remember exactly. I know even with a 14 hour shift my managers weren't even worried about me being close to getting double time. I believe if you have two full shifts less than 8 hours apart you get double time. You really don't need to worry about it. It's pretty unlikely that you'll ever be scheduled it, and in the few cases I did see it scheduled, the managers switched it around when they found out. It was an accident. You will also be turned down for any requests to work a shift that will earn you double time. There are some exceptions, but not likely.

Former Epcot CM

PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

Old 07-25-2012, 01:48 AM   #49
BigDreamer
Shutterbug

Anything over 8 hours is overtime, which is time and a half. You get this up until 15hours, where you go into Double time, and they REALLY don't want you to do this, lol. My roommate right now is QSFB and I'll say it's tiring for her, but she's in a small resort location that's really busy. She really liked working at Pecos Bill's in MK, though. The cool thing is when you get deployed to another location for a week or two. It's a whole different costume you get to wear!! The best thing is to make the most of it!! And I mean, go for all the Housing events, even if you think they're cheesy! Get out of your apartment! Don't be afraid to go to the parks, even on your own! DO EVERYTHING!!! This is your time to just have fun and work at the same time. Know that not every day is magical and some days just downright suck, but there are also awesome days full of great friends and amazing experiences!

I'll let you know that my school let me take Work Experience credit, I just had to do some special projects for my adviser. This second program I just took online classes through my university so that I was at least part time.

My randomly (rarely) updated Blog: http://amandasfstop.blogspot.com/
BigDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #50
ladypage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDreamer View Post
The best thing is to make the most of it!! And I mean, go for all the Housing events, even if you think they're cheesy! Get out of your apartment! Don't be afraid to go to the parks, even on your own! DO EVERYTHING!!! This is your time to just have fun and work at the same time. Know that not every day is magical and some days just downright suck, but there are also awesome days full of great friends and amazing experiences!
I wanna second this. I know a lot of people who avoided the housing events cause they thought they were lame. You know what wasn't lame? Being on a strict budget and still getting an awesome meal that I couldn't afford otherwise. It was a great way to meet new people, and just fun to hang out.

Former Epcot CM

PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

Old 07-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #51
MinnieJay
Mouseketeer

Yes. Second that. Go to the housing events...get there early for grocery bingo lol. That was pretty fun lol. Every once in a whole they have "field trips". During my program they went to an Orlando Magic game, Busch Gardens and stuff for like 25 dollars. And if you have time and want to volunteer, go to Give Kids The World. Working with the kids there was amazing.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #52
vickyp91
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDreamer
I'll let you know that my school let me take Work Experience credit, I just had to do some special projects for my adviser. This second program I just took online classes through my university so that I was at least part time.
I'm doing my internships for school when I go down for the college program in two weeks and I have to get my manager to fill out some paperwork. Did you also have to have your manager do anything when you did your work experience credit for your school? Did you have any problems getting the manager to fill out your paperwork? Thanks!!
vickyp91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #53
aznshents
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyp91 View Post
I'm doing my internships for school when I go down for the college program in two weeks and I have to get my manager to fill out some paperwork. Did you also have to have your manager do anything when you did your work experience credit for your school? Did you have any problems getting the manager to fill out your paperwork? Thanks!!
If it's someone to fill out paperwork I think someone else takes care of that- Kent Philips was the education coordinator when I was there and he was the one who took care of all the paperwork that someone at my work had to fill out for my internship. His office was in Vista Way.
aznshents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #54
BigDreamer
Shutterbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyp91 View Post
When I did mine last year, my managers knew exactly what to do! One of them was specially assigned for the CP kids, and so I was assigned to her. I gave my counselor her information and they set up a basic communication. I had to set goals with my manager and at the end, she evaluated my completion of them, and sent the results back to my school. They were really understanding and easy to work with!

My randomly (rarely) updated Blog: http://amandasfstop.blogspot.com/
BigDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #55
vickyp91
Earning My Ears

Oh good, that makes me worry less!! When you did your CP, did you email or call them before you got there or did you just bring your papers with you and tell them when you got there?
vickyp91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #56
Sith Lord 13
Earning My Ears

Officially checking in September 5th. I can't believe I'm doing this!
Old 07-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #57
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Awesome!
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #58
Sith Lord 13
Earning My Ears

OK, rather than clutter the board with another thread, I'm bumping this one. So earlier in the thread I was told Mears for transport from MCO to check in. I just priced that and it was like $76. That's a bit expensive for my tastes. Any cheaper ways?
Old 08-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #59
ibaw
Earning My Ears

I just checked on the Mears site.. if you take a shared van shuttle from the Airport to the Holiday Inn Sunspree (which is a hotel across from Vista Way), the fare is $21, one way, adult. I am sure if you call and tell them you are a CP and you need to go to Vista they will be able to drop you right there for the same price (or less if there is a discount, be sure to ask!!)
ibaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #60
aznshents
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibaw View Post
I just checked on the Mears site.. if you take a shared van shuttle from the Airport to the Holiday Inn Sunspree (which is a hotel across from Vista Way), the fare is $21, one way, adult. I am sure if you call and tell them you are a CP and you need to go to Vista they will be able to drop you right there for the same price (or less if there is a discount, be sure to ask!!)
There's supposed to be a coupon that takes you to Vista Way for the College Program- I used it on my CP and it was like $21 to be driven straight to Vista.
aznshents is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college, dcp, disney college program, food & beverage, quick service

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: