Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #16
Gatrcruzer
Mouseketeer

My husband and I, DD (4), mother, and mom's boyfriend will be on this trip. We went on the Dream last month, and were excited to find another Florida resident deal that we could make use of (so many times the dates don't work out). We are seasoned cruisers, but this will only be our second Disney cruise. It will be interesting to see how the Wonder compares to the Dream.
Gatrcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #17
TinLizzy90
Mouseketeer

Countdown!

Jumping on! Couldn't resist the great rates being offered for this cruise!
Wonder Cruise and Wilderness Lodge January 2005, Swan September 2005, Animal Kingdom Lodge February 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006, 7 night Western December 2007 on Disney Magic and weekend at the Swan, Wilderness Lodge Labor Day Weekend 2008, Wilderness Lodge December 2008, Wilderness Lodge October 2009 Disney Magic 7 night Western Double Dip November 2009
Wilderness Lodge April 2010, 6 nights at Wilderness Lodge May 2011, 3 nights at All Star Sports June 2012 (work trip), 5 Night Western on Disney Wonder March 2013, Wilderness Lodge Club Level October 2013, Fort Wilderness Campsite January 2014, Upcoming: Offsite September 2014, Fort Wilderness October 2014, Disney Fantasy Eastern
TinLizzy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #18
dreamyd
Earning My Ears

Our first vacation with an infant!

Our little one will be 4 months old on March 1st.
We didn't want to let having a baby stop us from vacationing, so we chose Disney! It will be our first family-friendly vacation!
I have been searching for a group on FB and other places regarding this sailing!

Excited to be here!

I'll take any tips you have re: traveling with babies!

Wahoooo!

Last edited by dreamyd; 12-29-2012 at 11:41 PM. Reason: This site won't let me post my ticker. :(
dreamyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #19
Gatrcruzer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamyd View Post
We didn't want to let having a baby stop us from vacationing, so we chose Disney! It will be our first family-friendly vacation!
I have been searching for a group on FB and other places regarding this sailing!

Excited to be here!

Wahoooo!
Good on you for being so ambitious! We also didn't want to let having a child keep us from traveling, although I think at 2 months I wasn't even sleeping yet, so wasn't quite ready to plan a cruise (although we did go to Disney at 3 months for a work event). I guess I would say that the experience of cruising is definitely different once you have a child, particularly a baby. You can't do as much as you used to, pacing needs to be slower, and you travel with so much more stuff. I'd say pack way more diapers than you think you will need, make sure to bring cleaner for any equipment (bottles, pumps, etc.), as well as infant formulations of medications (Tylenol, etc.) and infant-friendly sunscreen. Hope it all goes smoothly for you.
Gatrcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #20
dreamyd
Earning My Ears

Thanks!!! It didn't take too much to plan a cruise- just a few clicks and it was booked. I knew our first vacation with a kid wouldn't be riding camels in Egypt. I expected a slower pace and we booked a balcony room so I can lay outside while he naps. I don't expect excursions - and I escaped being stuck in a car with a million pit stops to change and burp or my greatest fear - being stuck on an airplane with a screaming baby. Cruises allow you to have your own little place to retreat to, to be social and to travel to different places!! I think I'll just bring a whole box of diapers.
Thanks for the advice!!
dreamyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #21
kuteje
Earning My Ears

Big family cruisin'

So excited that my entire family is going - husband, daughter (age 3), my mom, dad, two bothers and a sister-in-law. This is our first Disney Cruise - and for many of the sailors - their first ever cruise. Any advice? Also, I was reading about the fish extenders. Anyone interested in doing that?
kuteje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #22
DulcetDiscord
Earning My Ears

These are the tips I can think of off the top of my head.

If there is even the slightest chance one of you might get seasick I recommend ginger pills, they counteract the nausea and don't make you groggy at all, unlike Dramamine.

On our first cruise, we brought an entire 24 pack of water with us in a suitcase. By the end of the trip the water was gone and we had an extra suitcase to put our souvenirs and clothes in.

Guest services will also take 2 souvenirs per room to be signed by all the characters available for meet-n-greet onboard. Make sure you bring markers or something. We did a mat for a picture frame and a large white Vinylmation Mickey.

And remember that you can totally ask for seconds or thirds or even an additional appetizer/entree/dessert at dinner. Animator's Palette on the Dream had an amazing pasta appetizer, but it was really small, so we asked for two more to be sent to our table. Oh, and if none of the desserts particularly appeal to you or your kids but you still want something sweet, you can also get plain ol' vanilla ice cream. The servers do their absolute best to make sure you have anything and everything you want!

'94 Dixie Landings~'95 All Star Sports
Summer '07 Off property~Winter '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge
Spring '08 All Star Music
Winter '09 Fort Wilderness Cabins~Spring '09 Fort Wilderness Cabins
Fall '09 Caribbean Beach (Pirate Room)
Spring '10 MOVED TO FL
Spring '11 5-night Dream Cruise
DulcetDiscord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #23
Mom2Kaylee
DCL, DVC, & WDW Addict

Can't believe how quiet this group is! We are about 50 days away from our trip, and with the great Florida resident rate I figured this group would be poppin by now! I'll start a FB page as well and will post the link on here when I get it

Lets start a sign up for the Fish Extender game!! Leave the names of those participating, kids ages, and stateroom number.

Also would you guys be up for a quick meet and greet at some point?

Mom2Kaylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #24
Mom2Kaylee
DCL, DVC, & WDW Addict

Ok here it is! Come join if your on Facebook!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/411590465593772/

Old 01-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #25
kuteje
Earning My Ears

For the souvenirs signed by the characters - do you take that with you when you go to the meet and greet or leave it with guest services?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #26
Mom2Kaylee
DCL, DVC, & WDW Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuteje View Post
For the souvenirs signed by the characters - do you take that with you when you go to the meet and greet or leave it with guest services?
We leave with guest services by the end of the first day. They will return it to you by the last night.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #27
kuteje
Earning My Ears

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Kaylee View Post
We leave with guest services by the end of the first day. They will return it to you by the last night.
Thanks!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #28
TinLizzy90
Mouseketeer

I too am surprised this thread isn't more active. We just booked our pre-cruise hotel - used points at the Residence Inn Miami Airport - they have great suites, and a free shuttle from the airport.
Wonder Cruise and Wilderness Lodge January 2005, Swan September 2005, Animal Kingdom Lodge February 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006, 7 night Western December 2007 on Disney Magic and weekend at the Swan, Wilderness Lodge Labor Day Weekend 2008, Wilderness Lodge December 2008, Wilderness Lodge October 2009 Disney Magic 7 night Western Double Dip November 2009
Wilderness Lodge April 2010, 6 nights at Wilderness Lodge May 2011, 3 nights at All Star Sports June 2012 (work trip), 5 Night Western on Disney Wonder March 2013, Wilderness Lodge Club Level October 2013, Fort Wilderness Campsite January 2014, Upcoming: Offsite September 2014, Fort Wilderness October 2014, Disney Fantasy Eastern
TinLizzy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #29
tazgirl1981
My home away from home is Disney World!!

Count me in!!

Well Count me in for joining this cruise! It will be myself (31) and my two kids. Christopher (7) and Mackenzie (1) This will be My son and my 10th Cruise (yes Platinum status after this cruise!!!) and my Daughters second cruise (we cruised with her when she was only 4 months old). I would like to join in on the FE exchange if it is still open for joining I look forward to cruising with you all
Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #30
tazgirl1981
My home away from home is Disney World!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamyd View Post

Excited to be here!

Wahoooo!
I might be of a little bit of help since my daughter was exactly 4 months old when I cruised with her aboard Disney Like another poster has mentioned, expect to take it slower than you would think.
-I remember spending many nights walking the ship when she would be fussy (the ship is amazing at night when everyone else is asleep and it makes getting up in the middle of the night the most amazing thing ever (as that is when I would put her in the carrier and walk the ship to get her back to sleep).
-Don't feel that just because you have a baby that you CANT do some of the other things on the ship, Our little girl got pictures with the Characters and everything.
-She was scared of the clapping in the Walt Disney Theater for the shows each night (something I didn't even think about at all till she started screaming before the show would even start) so we would just return to our room and watch the show on the TV in the stateroom (yes it is showed each night in the room) not the same exact one (I believe its pre-recorded from other cruises) but you still wont miss out on the shows and your baby wont get scared of the loud noises that way
-Even in the shade at Castaway Cay my baby got too much sun. She never fussed or cried but I felt horrible about it. I tried to keep her covered up (I should have just used sunscreen but i was afraid of an allergic reaction being so young, but it would have been better than getting too much sun) So be very careful out in the sun...and yes my little girl was wearing a hat and was covered with a towel as much as possible...
-My husband and myself had to switch off during dinner each night with our little girl because she would get fussy (as to be expected, it was late dinner and the dinner does take quite some time for children) so what we would do is either I would eat and he would take the baby to walk around with her and then we would switch and he would eat while I walked with her (mention to your servers if you are going to go this route and they will wait to bring out your meal so that it is warm for you or they will cover it for you so that it doesnt get as cold) also many nights she got too fussy and I just wouldnt be able to stay at the dinner and the wonderful servers would ask what I wanted and just send it to the room for me and it would be waiting there for when I arrived with the baby or arrive shortly after

Enjoy your trip, Everyone will most likely dote over your little one I would suggest if you have one, a carrier over a stroller (strollers are much harder to navigate on the ship and elevators and even to place in the room) or at least a smaller stroller.

If you have any certain questions feel free to ask, Im not sure if I have all the answers but If I know them I will be sure to answer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: