Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
slickpoetry
Super Planner

Newbie--perhaps asking a dumb question...

..forgive me in advance.

I am planning a trip to WDW in October. This is my first time there with my own family (I went as a six year old in the mid-1980s). We are planning to stay at a value-level resort.

I understand that in October there is a chance I could get the dining plan free--which is fantastic--but it is the counter-service level plan. We are fine with that for the most part, but we want to do one character dinner at Epcot's Garden Grill.

my question is whether we can use our basic counter service credits for a character dinner, and pay the difference in cash. Essentially I want to upgrade just one particular meal from our five day trip from counter service to table service. Disney's website offers no answer to this question, so I come to you.

Is this impossible?
slickpoetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
mort1331
Mouseketeer

You can not upgrade for just the one meal. The difference to upgrade the whole package may not be much, but check. Even if its one character meal, but then look at other TS meal to enjoy.
mort1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
slickpoetry
Super Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort1331 View Post
You can not upgrade for just the one meal. The difference to upgrade the whole package may not be much, but check. Even if its one character meal, but then look at other TS meal to enjoy.
Thanks, that is what I thought. I just wanted to confirm with someone more knowledgeable than I am.
slickpoetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Disney44please
Mouse Hater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickpoetry View Post
..forgive me in advance.

I am planning a trip to WDW in October. This is my first time there with my own family (I went as a six year old in the mid-1980s). We are planning to stay at a value-level resort.

I understand that in October there is a chance I could get the dining plan free--which is fantastic--but it is the counter-service level plan. We are fine with that for the most part, but we want to do one character dinner at Epcot's Garden Grill.

my question is whether we can use our basic counter service credits for a character dinner, and pay the difference in cash. Essentially I want to upgrade just one particular meal from our five day trip from counter service to table service. Disney's website offers no answer to this question, so I come to you.

Is this impossible?

Although it is impossible to "upgrade" one meal, you could always pay for that meal out of pocket. The quick service dining plan only comes with 2 meals a day, so you most likely won't end up with "extra" credits at the end of the trip.

Disney Stays:
December 2013 - 7 Nights @ Coronado Springs
April 2014 - 7 Nights @ Wilderness Lodge

Upcoming Trips:
Disney44please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quick service credits can never be used for table service meals - although the opposite may be true and they will accept table service credits for quick service meals.

If you upgrade, you have to upgrade the entire package, so if all you want is one character meal it's best to pick a breakfast (breakfasts are generally the cheapest) and pay for that one meal out of pocket.

Wouldn't suggest that you upgrade the package unless you are willing to commit to one table service meal (preferably a dinner, some lunches OK) every day of your trip. However, you should look into what it would cost you to upgrade free dining (assuming you would be able to get it) and just use a couple of TS credits. You'd be paying a nightly charge to upgrade the dining, but not as much as the full price of the plan.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: