Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #811
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdot View Post
Booking for February 2014 as soon as package rates are released! We've stayed at Pop Century the last 2 times we've been (2006 being the most recent). I'm going with my wife, daughter (4yo), mom, and dad, so 5 in total. We'll most likely be doing 2 individual rooms instead of a suite.

Anything special I should ask for when booking AoA rooms? Any other advice you guys can share with me about the resort would be welcomed (even if it's unsolicited )
First off....... welcome to the DIS!

If you are booking 2 separate rooms, then I assume you mean the LM section. If that's the case, then what are you hoping for? Quiet? Convenience? Will you have a car along? Are you going with 2 separate room versus a suite so each family can have more privacy? Or because you have a LM fan in the group?

It really is a stunning resort. I'm sad we'll never have a reason to justify booking a suite. The LM section is gorgeous. And for a short stay the walk wouldn't be an issue. But we were there 10 days and are park commandos. So while the walk wasn't bad in the morning, it was really a challenge after a long day in the parks. If you aren't park commandos, you might have a different take on it. But we often stay in the parks from park open to park close, sometimes longer. We have done early entry through the end of a hard ticket party on more than one occasion. That really does take a toll on one's feet by the end of the night.

But the aesthetics of the resort really were worth staying at least once. In spite of the down sides, I still feel tempted to try it again on a shorter trip.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #812
esdot
Earning My Ears

We were thinking about 2 rooms for privacy sake. If possible, we wanted to see about having adjoining rooms so that someone could take a nap in one room and everyone else congregate in the other. I've also considered a suite, but just not sure if we can do 8 days in a row of non-stop family interaction with my parents. I think they probably could use a break from us and the other way around after a few days.

Of the themed areas of AoA, our little girl would likely prefer the LM section. She's seen Cars, Finding Nemo, and The Lion King but if there's not a Disney princess in it, it doesn't keep her attention as much!

We likely to make the walk a couple of times a day. I could definitely see us leaving in the morning, coming back in the afternoon for a couple hours rest, then heading back out a couple of nights during the week. The long walk would probably be bothersome, but is not the end of the world. Is there another resort we should be considering instead that might fit our needs better? We liked Pop Century a lot for us, but it was before we had a kid. I'm just not sure what the best option is for 5 people that want a little privacy but also good value. If I need to rethink where we're staying, maybe I should be posting on another thread? I'm sure there is one dedicated to figuring out where to stay.

Thanks again for all the feedback!
esdot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #813
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We were thinking about 2 rooms for privacy sake. If possible, we wanted to see about having adjoining rooms so that someone could take a nap in one room and everyone else congregate in the other. I've also considered a suite, but just not sure if we can do 8 days in a row of non-stop family interaction with my parents. I think they probably could use a break from us and the other way around after a few days.

Of the themed areas of AoA, our little girl would likely prefer the LM section. She's seen Cars, Finding Nemo, and The Lion King but if there's not a Disney princess in it, it doesn't keep her attention as much!

We likely to make the walk a couple of times a day. I could definitely see us leaving in the morning, coming back in the afternoon for a couple hours rest, then heading back out a couple of nights during the week. The long walk would probably be bothersome, but is not the end of the world. Is there another resort we should be considering instead that might fit our needs better? We liked Pop Century a lot for us, but it was before we had a kid. I'm just not sure what the best option is for 5 people that want a little privacy but also good value. If I need to rethink where we're staying, maybe I should be posting on another thread? I'm sure there is one dedicated to figuring out where to stay.

Thanks again for all the feedback!
I don't blame you one bit for going ahead with the LM rooms. If I had a 4 year old girl, the draw would be too much to resist.

And I'd feel the same way about a week with my parents. A suite would definitely be out. Having that door that locks would be a must!

The reason I asked your reasons was to help determine what you might want to ask for. If you have a car, then you'd want building 9 nearer the parking lot. If quiet is more important (as in the case for an afternoon nap) then the back side of building 7 would be better as it overlooks the lake.

You CAN get a closer room at the Pop, as we have on many occasions. But your little girl will only be 4 once, so in this case I would not be able to pass up staying in the LM section.

And my philosophy is that it's always better to make an informed decision and know the ups and downs of all the options going into it.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip! There are tons of AoA photos in my December trip report linked in my signature.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #814
esdot
Earning My Ears

Thanks! Unsure if we will have a car, most likely not but it depends on if we fly to MCO or SFB ( if we go to MCO then we will do DME again). Good info on the building choice! I'll check out those pics too! Thanks!

PC 07/2005 PC 02/2006 PC 02/2014
esdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #815
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

Is the Cars section as noisy as some of the other value resorts? I'm debating between a Cars suite and a DVC studio rental. DS would LOVE the Cars theme, but I'm concerned about the "value" aspect. My only experience with value resorts is All-Star Movie in July - height of summer season AND Brazillian tourists led to a VERY noisy and hectic stay.

We'll be going last week of February.
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #816
Hoosier37
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Booking for February 2014 as soon as package rates are released! We've stayed at Pop Century the last 2 times we've been (2006 being the most recent). I'm going with my wife, daughter (4yo), mom, and dad, so 5 in total. We'll most likely be doing 2 individual rooms instead of a suite.

Anything special I should ask for when booking AoA rooms? Any other advice you guys can share with me about the resort would be welcomed (even if it's unsolicited )
DON'T take a room in Building 8 on one of the wings facing the pool. There is no good way to get to your room. The stairs open onto a walkway that heads behind the building to the parking lot. The elevator and central stairs are in the center of the building and you have to make two turns in the exterior hallways to get to it.

In fact, avoid Building 8 (Ariel) entirely. The only way I would ever want to stay at LM again would be if I could be in the King Triton building on the end closest to the LK section. But again, due to weird placement of stairs, walkways, and landscaping, it is awkward getting to and from your room. We saw people tromping through the landscaping out of desperation.

Personally, I would never want to go back to AoA for any reason, but if you are sure you want to stay in the LM sections, that's my advice.

WDW Trips
POP Century, March 2011
Art of Animation Little Mermaid, June 2013
Hoping to return in June 2015

(me) (DH) (DS14) (DD11)
Hoosier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #817
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier37 View Post
DON'T take a room in Building 8 on one of the wings facing the pool. There is no good way to get to your room. The stairs open onto a walkway that heads behind the building to the parking lot. The elevator and central stairs are in the center of the building and you have to make two turns in the exterior hallways to get to it.

In fact, avoid Building 8 (Ariel) entirely. The only way I would ever want to stay at LM again would be if I could be in the King Triton building on the end closest to the LK section. But again, due to weird placement of stairs, walkways, and landscaping, it is awkward getting to and from your room. We saw people tromping through the landscaping out of desperation.

Personally, I would never want to go back to AoA for any reason, but if you are sure you want to stay in the LM sections, that's my advice.
I continue to be amazed at the bizarre way they set up that landscaping. Did it not occur to them that while people want it to be pretty, they also want the quickest access to the main walkways? It was vastly different from Pop for that reason alone. On our way to the room the first time, I saw a mom and her daughter plucking their way through the landscaping and thought "My, isn't that odd. Who would do that?" By the end of the trip, I understood. We didn't DO it, but I totally understood why someone would.

We were in building 7 near Lion King but walked back to Ursula every time we wanted to come or go.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #818
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodie View Post
Is the Cars section as noisy as some of the other value resorts? I'm debating between a Cars suite and a DVC studio rental. DS would LOVE the Cars theme, but I'm concerned about the "value" aspect. My only experience with value resorts is All-Star Movie in July - height of summer season AND Brazillian tourists led to a VERY noisy and hectic stay.

The noisiest place I have ever stayed was Beach Club Villas.
Actually I did some reading and the Values have the most soundproofing because of the outside doors
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #819
Hoosier37
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I continue to be amazed at the bizarre way they set up that landscaping. Did it not occur to them that while people want it to be pretty, they also want the quickest access to the main walkways? It was vastly different from Pop for that reason alone. On our way to the room the first time, I saw a mom and her daughter plucking their way through the landscaping and thought "My, isn't that odd. Who would do that?" By the end of the trip, I understood. We didn't DO it, but I totally understood why someone would.
When we were loading and unloading our car, we saw that there are no direct sidewalks from the parking lot to Building 8 on the end closer to the lake (the end our room was on). It was insane - people have walked through the grass enough that they have worn paths in it, and I'll be honest, we went through the grass as well.

WDW Trips
POP Century, March 2011
Art of Animation Little Mermaid, June 2013
Hoping to return in June 2015

(me) (DH) (DS14) (DD11)
Hoosier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #820
im4kycats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodie View Post

I was in a Nemo suite in Oct. and didn't hear anything from neighbors or the Big Blue Pool. I was in Boardwalk last week and heard our neighbors talking and the folks outside, 5 floors down, talking. I'm sure the Cars suites will be similar to the Nemo ones when it comes to noise! I love the resort - I hope you enjoy it if that is what you choose!

Me DH DS (15) DD (9)

1992 - Disneymoon at CBR; 2010 - Easter in the World at CBR; 2011 - MNSSHP at POFQ; 2012 - 20th Anniversary at AoA; 2013 - Adults to BWI; 2014 - Cars Suite at AoA
im4kycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #821
katiee37
DIS Veteran

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/General_..._for_theft.htm

Wasn't expecting to read this
January 2014 Art of Animation--Celebrating my birthday January 2014 PTR
January 2015--Running the 5K and (yikes) possibly the Half Marathon!

katiee37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #822
Shamrock2191
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much for the great information. We are going in March and It all seems overwhelming.
Shamrock2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #823
Hoodie
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
The noisiest place I have ever stayed was Beach Club Villas.
Actually I did some reading and the Values have the most soundproofing because of the outside doors
We defintely had issues at ASM when we were there, all external noise.

The noisiest place I stayed for interior noise (noise from other rooms) was the Grand Floridian. We heard our neighbors plans for the day, their breakfast orders, everything. It was barely muffled. We felt like we adopted them by the end of our stay.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #824
Hoodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4kycats View Post
I was in a Nemo suite in Oct. and didn't hear anything from neighbors or the Big Blue Pool. I was in Boardwalk last week and heard our neighbors talking and the folks outside, 5 floors down, talking. I'm sure the Cars suites will be similar to the Nemo ones when it comes to noise! I love the resort - I hope you enjoy it if that is what you choose!
Thanks! DS would love the theming of the Cars suites. I'm still going back and forth on what we do. A lost will depend on who goes too!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #825
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier37 View Post
When we were loading and unloading our car, we saw that there are no direct sidewalks from the parking lot to Building 8 on the end closer to the lake (the end our room was on). It was insane - people have walked through the grass enough that they have worn paths in it, and I'll be honest, we went through the grass as well.
i'm looking @ the resort map and trying to plot a path from the parking lot to what i hope will be 'our' bldg, #7 but it appears you can't get there from here

seriously, just trying to determine approx how long of a walk from the parking lot to the furthermost LM building...it's decide how much luggage we haul in for one night's stay before our cruise.

I'm in shock as to the rate i just paid for a room for 1 night $146.25 but if it makes GD happy it's worth it! Not holding out much hope for AP rate for a marathon weekend in January but even a AAA rate would be appreciated.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: