Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
Terry36
DIS Veteran

School Supplies Advice for New High Schooler..

DD will be in an 8th grader in the Fall..the high school is 8th-12th.

While in Middle school, the school supply lists were mailed to us during the summer which allowed me time to shop the sales. Well I just received a packet from the HS with a note stating the supply lists will be provided the first day of school. Is this how your child's HS works; and if so, how do you pre-shop for supplies? I'm thinking of getting the basics, loose leaf paper, ink pens, pencils, binders etc.

Thanks
Terry36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

Of course. Each teacher has his/her own list. We had block scheduling, so we had four supply lists twice a year. We kept basic stuff in a cabinet over the kitchen desk and got the other stuff each semester.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
littlezar
DIS Veteran

We are on A/B scheduling here. My boys get one notebook for A day and one for B day. I usually just buy those and paper in advance for them. (Still have lots of pens, pencils, sharpeners, erasers and colored pencils from over the years) After school starts I'll shop again for specifics if necessary. Between the oldest 2 (one will be a senior, the other a sophomore) we've had graph paper on 5 different teacher lists since the older one was in 8th grade and we're still working on the 1st pkg of it I ever bought.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
marthachick
DIS Veteran

When DS started high school, the supplies list was practically non-existent. Just basic stuff. Guess the teachers figured they wouldn't bring them anyway.

Offsite May 1984
Offsite January 1990
All Star Sports October 2005
POP Century December 2013
marthachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

When DD entered high school, I would stock up on things that I knew she was going to use - paper, pencils, pens, etc. - when they were on sale.

DH has always taken the 1st day of school off to make sure that everything goes smoothly because I am a teacher and cannot afford to have any glitches that day.

Upon her return from school they would immediately head out to the store to get the remaining items, hoping to avoid the middle school and elementary school rushes.
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip… 7/13-7/18 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Had a similar issue last year. I got the things that were kind of obvious.. I mean she was still going to be using pens, paper and pencils etc.
However I had to hold off on anything that was going to be specific. For example the math set and the calculator ended up being very specific so I am glad I waited.
Some teachers wanted certain types of report covers so I had to go out and get those after.
Most things though will be the same and if you see a good price on the basics you should be able to get them now (paper, pens, highlighters, erasers, pencil case, etc).
Old 07-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
DisneyAndRedSox
I still call it a WEDWay PeopleMover!

I shop for a 1st grader so not much help on actual supplies.

When you go to Target and Staples, they typically have 'recommended' lists. I would also look on the website of other districts near you and see if they posted the 8th grade list. I would buy stuff now while cheap (i.e. 1 cent and $1 deals at Staples) and just save the receipts. I know Target has a 90-day return policy, not sure about Staples.

Last year we needed to buy clear sheet protectors for a year-long project. The cheap ones were gone in no time from Target and I looked at several places before I found them cheap. I wouldn't wait for the list if you see a good deal!

BTW... rumor has it Staples is having a good deal on 3-ring binders and dividers starting on Sunday.

DVC Trips:
Feb '14- Aulani dream trip cancelled due to snow (obviously Mother Nature is not a Disney fan); May '14- AKV Kidani, BCV; May '15- Pending lots of Pixie Dust... VGC, Aulani
DisneyAndRedSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

My experience is once DS his HS, he was left on his own to figure what he needed. The only "special" things I can think of is they had to have a TI84(Plus) calculator for math. This is a pretty "standard" thing for HS math around here anyway- must be that brand/model. (Do you know any older kids to check if that is a norm there? Those do tend to go on special various places. I guess you could always get one and return if she ends up not needing it.)

ETA just noticed your DD is only 8th grade- she may not need it til 9th unless she's in an accelerated math program.

The other thing he specifically needed was graph paper composition books for science. Honestly, I never found those on sale anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about whether your school requires those.

Then yes, pens, paper, loose leaf binders, etc...
Old 07-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
jgreco
Mouseketeer

Buy the basics and wait for the lists.
Some teachers have really stupid, specific requests. Like, you need a purple folder with tabs and pockets for one class, a yellow notebook for another, a 1/2" binder for one class, a 1 1/2" for another.
jgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
sk!mom
DIS Veteran

I keep a supply drawer of the basics that I will restock at the sales. Then on the first day of school, I'll go get anything that we don't have. DD16 will be a Junior and she has already said that she will not be getting big binders and such for each class if they are requested again this year. She's carried a ridiculous amount of stuff since 6th grade and says this year each class will have a spiral and a pocket folder...nothing else.

Supply lists are not sent home in advance after Elementary here. Starting in Middle School (6th grade), each teacher gives them a list on the first day. With 7 teachers the amount of stuff they would have to cart around can be crazy. DD is a rule follower so she has always tried to have everything in the past. DS27 quit buying and carrying it all by probably 8th grade.
sk!mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

A few college ruled notebooks, a few folders, mechanical pencils or #2 and pens.

That'll start them off.

It was the expensive calculators that tossed my budget right out the window.
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Tink-n-MrIncredible
DIS Veteran

Don't forget dividers for the binders.
Tink-n-MrIncredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
sk!mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1626 View Post
A few college ruled notebooks, a few folders, mechanical pencils or #2 and pens.

That'll start them off.

It was the expensive calculators that tossed my budget right out the window.
We are lucky, I guess. My DD has been able to check out a calculator from the school since 8th grade Algebra. If she were to lose it, she would have to pay for it but she has kept up with it every year for 3 years. Hopefully, this year will be the same.
sk!mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
drcmk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry36 View Post
I just received a packet from the HS with a note stating the supply lists will be provided the first day of school. Is this how your child's HS works; and if so, how do you pre-shop for supplies?
This is how our high school works as well. Each teacher has his/her own list and the lists are usually idiosyncratic and unpredictable. I've learned that it is a waste of time, effort and money to shop ahead. I just make sure everyone has a backpack, one notebook and something to write with for the first day and plan to go shopping during the first week. It is a drag because the sales are over and a lot of stuff is sold out so we sometimes have to go to multiple stores to get what is needed. I'd rather be able to take advantage of summer sales, but the discounts disappear when you realize that you bought stuff that no one needs and still need to go shopping again to get what they do need.
drcmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
Jill in Chicago
DIS Veteran

This is how high school worked in our area too. Go ahead and buy loose paper, pencils, pens, eraser, colored pencils (many classes will need these), and 3 ring binders. You can also buy a few notebooks. First day of class just bring a backpack, folder, paper and something to write with.

I then keep everything in one place in a cabinet in the laundry room. That way extras are all in one place.

Consider also buying post it notes, and index cards along with some poster board. Those poster projects always seem to come up at the last minute.
Jill in Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: