Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

I'll be a first time mom in September, so forgive my ignorance, but what do you do with poop in the diaper?? Do you scrap it into the toilet before washing it?

I've always been curious about cloth diapers but never knew how they worked. Also how do they stay up? Is there velcro?

As you can tell, I have absolutely no idea!

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #17
J3nn78
DIS Veteran

Depends on the poop
While a baby is strictly breasted, there is no need to do anything, just toss in the wash.
For a baby that is formula fed or has started solids, you can dunk and swish (gross) or get a diaper sprayer And spray the poop off into the toilet. It is really easy.
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #18
adventure_woman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
I'll be a first time mom in September, so forgive my ignorance, but what do you do with poop in the diaper?? Do you scrap it into the toilet before washing it?

I've always been curious about cloth diapers but never knew how they worked. Also how do they stay up? Is there velcro?

As you can tell, I have absolutely no idea!
No worries!! With the poop you can actually buy a diaper sprayer and spray it off. I didn't (too cheap), so I just swished it in the toilet. It actually didn't bother me. (Now, when it came to cleaning up poopy undies - that is icky! ).

There are many different kinds of diapers. I used pocket. After baby goes in diaper, you throw everything into the 'wet bag', then just toss the whole bag in wash. They have both velcro and snaps. Personally, I HATED the velcro. (I thought I would like it the best). They are so easy, even my dad could change a diaper. The pocket and all-in-ones are just like disposables when you put them on.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I didn't do cloth with my 1st, but I wish I had. The diapers are oh so cute.

WDW
LOTS of trips before!
CP CM - Summer 1999
FT CM - May 2000-Dec 2001 (AKL, BC, Poly)
ASMo 11/03 ASMo 11/06 AS Sp/Mo 8/08 ASMo 1/9 ASMu 8/09 ASMu 8/11 ASMu 1/13

DL/DCA
CM - Dec 2000-Feb 2001 (Grand Opening of DCA)
Off-site 12/05

DCL
Magic Eastern Caribbean 1/29/11
adventure_woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #19
J3nn78
DIS Veteran

There are many types of cloth diapers.
The ones most like disposables in ease of use are All-in-ones. They require no stuffing or extra parts. It is the absorbent part and waterproof part all together. They stay up with Velcro or snaps. The biggest downside is they take a long time to dry.
Pockets are easy to use, but have a removable insert that you can customize according to your absorbancy needs. These dry faster but are still easy to use and fasten.
Fitteds with a cover are easy and will have a Velcro or snap closure. Little more work in using because you put two things on the baby
Prefolds and flats are what most people think of with cloth. This is the old style that used to be fattened with pins, but now they made a great little thing called a Snappi which fastens the diaper without risk of poking you or baby. This type also needs some type of waterproof cover.
There are so many options to choose from. I recommend trying a few types and seeing what works best for you and your baby and then get more. I use a combo of fitteds and pockets. I like Fuzzi Bunz, Oh Katy's, and homemade pockets, and also Thirsties fitteds and covers as well as Kissaluvs size 0 (fitteds) for newborns
Old 08-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
MrsDrewsky
DIS Veteran

I was wondering if anyone could suggest how many cloth diapers to have on hand. We are expecting our first next year and we have been seriously considering cloth diapers to save money. I'm just not sure how many we would need or how sizing works.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #21
BellePrincessBelle
Nothing says Thanksgiving like some road kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDrewsky View Post
I was wondering if anyone could suggest how many cloth diapers to have on hand. We are expecting our first next year and we have been seriously considering cloth diapers to save money. I'm just not sure how many we would need or how sizing works.
I would say no less than 24 for a newborn to get through 2 days washing. I ended up with about 70 fitted/pocket/all in ones plus 3 dozen premium prefolds & 3 dozen infant prefolds. I am a huge fan of prefolds & covers for newborns & then moving up to the fitted/pocket/aio territory as they grow.
What is your question on sizing? Some pockets come as one size that fit from about 10lbs to potty training others are sized like disposibles.
BellePrincessBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #22
MrsDrewsky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellePrincessBelle View Post
I would say no less than 24 for a newborn to get through 2 days washing. I ended up with about 70 fitted/pocket/all in ones plus 3 dozen premium prefolds & 3 dozen infant prefolds. I am a huge fan of prefolds & covers for newborns & then moving up to the fitted/pocket/aio territory as they grow.
What is your question on sizing? Some pockets come as one size that fit from about 10lbs to potty training others are sized like disposibles.

Actually you answered all my questions perfectly. Thank you so much.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
Disney Princess
Member Since Day 1
I am just the "organized" one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDrewsky View Post
We just had our first last Wednesday, and we plan to use cloth diapers. We started buying a few at a time to spread out the cost once we knew what we wanted. We are using Bum Genius. We have quite the collection ready. We have the pocket style so we can adjust the absorbency as needed.

The best advice that we got was to use disposable at the beginning - our son weighed 5 pounds 8 ounces, so the cloth would be HUGE on him right now. We'll use disposable until he can fit. Our style is with snaps (I heard the velcro can wear out over time), and there are different snap locations to grow with the baby. So, we have the one-size fits all which means we only need that one size FOREVER. I was told to buy 12, 18 and 24 by different moms. I think we'll end up with 18-20. That means we will only have to wash them every other day or so.

The best news to us is that we'll save money now, and with each child after.
Disney Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #24
disneysmiles
Mouseketeer

adventure woman, what is this wet bag you speak of? That sounds so simple to wash them using this technique. Is there an example on Amazon? Did you make your own.

Totally considering going cloth. OP I had never heard of sunbaby diapers, those are quite inexpensive! Very cool. I'm also going to peruse those resale sites to get a better idea of who much things cost used.

Also another question, we will probably be moving a few months after the baby is born to another state. Are diaper sprayers easy to set up and take down? Say to move from one toilet to the next...

Last edited by disneysmiles; 08-31-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typos
disneysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:00 PM   #25
kissy
Mouseketeer

I used BUm genius and some prefolds with my DS and loved them! I will say that I got all velcro and after a certain amount of time the velcro wore off on it. However, in 3 weeks we're expecting baby #4 and there was no way I was going back to disposable so I converted all my velcro to snaps. It was time consuming but so worth it when I see all those gorgeous diapers ready to go! :-) I do recommend to anyone starting out, invest in the ones with snaps.

Disney World - Fort Wilderness July 1991
Disney world - All Star Movies November 2005
Disney World - Off site September 2009
Disney World - All star Music September 2011
Disneyland - too many times to count!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #26
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysmiles View Post
Also another question, we will probably be moving a few months after the baby is born to another state. Are diaper sprayers easy to set up and take down? Say to move from one toilet to the next...
Well, we did a makeshift one using plans for a kitchen sprayer online (saved about $10) and we had the whole thing up and running in about 10 minutes, so I'm guessing moving it wouldn't be hard at all.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #27
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
I'll be a first time mom in September, so forgive my ignorance, but what do you do with poop in the diaper?? Do you scrap it into the toilet before washing it?:
With all types of solid or semisolid matter (ashes, grease, jelly, etc.) you should scrape off as much as you can before getting out the bottle of cleaning fluid or throwing the garment into the wash.

Admittedly it is gross when dealing with feces or vomitus, but the more you clean off first, the less gets caught in other items, or left behind, after the washing machine rinse cycle is done or the carpet shampooer finishes sucking up.

When you do use cleaning fluid, sop up as much as you can using tissue or absorbent cloth that you dispose of immediately, rather than let it dry where it is.

More on keeping things clean:
http://www.cockam.com/clean.htm

Last edited by seashoreCM; 09-01-2012 at 06:44 AM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #28
BellePrincessBelle
Nothing says Thanksgiving like some road kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysmiles View Post
adventure woman, what is this wet bag you speak of? That sounds so simple to wash them using this technique. Is there an example on Amazon? Did you make your own.

Totally considering going cloth. OP I had never heard of sunbaby diapers, those are quite inexpensive! Very cool. I'm also going to peruse those resale sites to get a better idea of who much things cost used.

A wet bag is just a waterproof bag that you keep the dirty diapers in. When wash time comes you just empty the bag in to the wash, toss said bag in along with it & wash. I used planetwise brand & wahmies for my wet bags. I used the Bum Genius diaper sprayer & it takes less tham 5 minutes to attach or take off your toilet & there is nothing permanent.
BellePrincessBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #29
laurafergie
DIS Veteran

I have read this thread with interest....all these new names like Bum Genius. I am of the old school and cloth diapered my older ones because we were broke, and I "saved" the pampers for when I was out.

The diapers were a giant soft cotton square and you folded them to fit the baby. As the baby grew, you folded them larger. Overnight, you might fold two together. Plastic pants went over everthing. There was a diaper bucket to soak with a solution of water and Dreft. Then you washed separately in hot water, more Dreft and bleach, with rinsing twice. After potty training, the old diapers were used cleaning.
2009 All Star Sports
2010 Windsor Hills - Christmas at Disney!!
2015 ???? Always Hopeful!
DH Me DS27 DD23 DD22 DD14 DD10
laurafergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #30
DisneyMomto3Boys
Earning My Ears

Just wanted to chime in! I have 3 boys; youngest is almost 8 months, and the oldest is 7. We cloth diaper and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I have tried tons of different diapers (so much fun!) and my stash is currently set at 30 pocket diapers, mostly Bumgenius but also Happy Heineys, Fuzzibunz, and one Blueberry and Grovia. My favorites are the BumGenius 4.0's with snaps. We use these for overnight and they work great!

My baby has been 100% in cloth since the day we brought him home from the hospital, but we are going to do spossies for our upcoming Disney cruise.

"Of all the silly nonsense, this is the stupidest tea party I've ever been to in all my life." -Alice
2002 - AKL
2008 - AKL
2009 - All Star Movies + MNSSHP
2010 - Waldorf Astoria + MNSSHP
2011 - Pop Century
2012 - Disney Dream Cruise
2013- WDW for MNSSHP
DisneyMomto3Boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: