Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
ExcitedSam
Mouseketeer

It's no fun being the mum!

I want to just turn up and be amazed and have things happen. I dont want to know what goes on behind the scenes, the planning, organising, budgeting!

DH is NO help at all his eyes glaze over when I try to talk to him about what we should do, where we should go! (much like our wedding! )

having said all that I think I would be in a worse state if I let someone else plan my holiday!

I am narrowing down a plan for Disneyland, we get there on saturday afternoon and I plan on exchanging out tickets and getting our photo+ card so as not to waste any time on our full days. I got a 6 day hopper as there was no way I could be that close and NOT go in until the next day!

So we have so far.....

Saturday: exchange tickets, get photo card, check out the parks and where things are. Catch fireworks or show that is only on the weekends, if we're up to it.

Sunday: dont know what to do with Sunday... dont really want to visit DCA on a weekend! Maybe I could swap Monday and Sunday? just do a later B'fast if we sleep in and are tired.

Monday: Character B'fast at Minnies (probably stay in DL?)

Tuesday: Disneyland MM then a bit later on (10ish?) BBB for DD2. Is Character dining at Ariels on during Lunch and Dinner? I thought I read that somewhere, if not I'll have to change my plans. if so AG lunch or dinner.

Wednesday:

Thursday: If we have had enough by now we dont have to go to the parks...I could be persuaded to go shopping :D

Yep thats it! I have not idea where we are going or what we are doing. I need a list of rides to do first for each land and what ones have FP too, all in one place! I just do not have the energy to collate it all form the endless information on these boards.

Sorry for the babble, it's easier if I write it down for someone!
Old 07-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Travel Mum
DIS Veteran

I can totally relate as no one else in my household is ever interested in trip planning like I am. They are all go-with-the-flow type people which is frustrating because I too would love to bounce ideas off DH in particular. I'm currently working out some day trips to do while we are in Hawaii but I too can see the boredom in his eyes when I mention details. He's happy and interested once we are there but just has no interest in the planning. So that is why, when planning our WDW trip, I became addicted to this forum where I found like-minded people!
Disneyland and DCA - May 2006 - our children's first Disney trip
Disneyland - May 1996
Disneyland - March 1995 - for our 1st wedding anniversary celebration trip
Disneyland lots of times 78-80, 82-86 and 92-93 when I lived in L.A.
Travel Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Oh no!!! I LOVE the planning and I'm glad that my DH shows little-moderate interest in the details. I like knowing where we'll be on what day, what options are available for meals, what the crowds might be like and even what the weather is looking like for that time of the year.

We did Ariel's for lunch - but that was ages ago, in 2005.

How old are your kids? When we took the boys as toddlers we found we couldn't plan too far ahead anyway. I knew where all the Fastpass rides were and what the kids would like so it made things a bit easier, but we basically played it all by ear.

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
Aust
DIS Veteran

How much detail do you want? I can do a plan for you, just depends how far you want me to go! Have already done mine so I can base it off that.
2007 DLR (DLH)
1991 DL Tokyo
Aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
ExcitedSam
Mouseketeer

AUST - go your hardest! Happy for as much or as little input you want to provide. TIA.

The general advice is get fast passes, do your favorite first, but I have no idea what we're going to like, I've never been there! Plus it all sound awesome!

My girls will be 4.5 & 9.5 by the time we are there. We are staying at the Park Vue so I think we will be having a break during the day. The younger one is more adventurous than the older one.

Last edited by ExcitedSam; 07-10-2012 at 11:04 PM.
ExcitedSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
Tara2004
Mouseketeer

Gosh it's drawing close now Sam.

I planned our last trip and saved $1000's for our Disney world trip. I found out about the free dining in the gymbofriends Disney world thread. I made the kids Disney customs. ( The kids loved the attention. ) This year we are going to Disneyland with Lindsey that worked at Disneyland, her hubby worked there too. She said they have a pass to jump the cue to all the rides Love that girl. She's so Disney. ( Possitive and uplifting ) You can talk to her on the Disneyland thread I sent the link to you to on GF forums ( That was back ages ago. )

The first visit we did hubby was just like yours. Lost interest at times and left most of it to me. This visit it's the total oppersite. He is wrapped to plan the lot.

2001 WDW ( POP century )
2013 WDW ( Boardwalk, AKL ) Disneyland Anaheim
2014 Oct, Disneyland Anaheim in the planning
Tara2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcitedSam View Post
I want to just turn up and be amazed and have things happen. I dont want to know what goes on behind the scenes, the planning, organising, budgeting!

DH is NO help at all his eyes glaze over when I try to talk to him about what we should do, where we should go! (much like our wedding! )

having said all that I think I would be in a worse state if I let someone else plan my holiday!

I am narrowing down a plan for Disneyland, we get there on saturday afternoon and I plan on exchanging out tickets and getting our photo+ card so as not to waste any time on our full days. I got a 6 day hopper as there was no way I could be that close and NOT go in until the next day!

So we have so far.....

Saturday: exchange tickets, get photo card, check out the parks and where things are. Catch fireworks or show that is only on the weekends, if we're up to it.

Sunday: dont know what to do with Sunday... dont really want to visit DCA on a weekend! Maybe I could swap Monday and Sunday? just do a later B'fast if we sleep in and are tired.

Monday: Character B'fast at Minnies (probably stay in DL?)

Tuesday: Disneyland MM then a bit later on (10ish?) BBB for DD2. Is Character dining at Ariels on during Lunch and Dinner? I thought I read that somewhere, if not I'll have to change my plans. if so AG lunch or dinner.

Wednesday:

Thursday: If we have had enough by now we dont have to go to the parks...I could be persuaded to go shopping :D

Yep thats it! I have not idea where we are going or what we are doing. I need a list of rides to do first for each land and what ones have FP too, all in one place! I just do not have the energy to collate it all form the endless information on these boards.

Sorry for the babble, it's easier if I write it down for someone!
I completely understand how you feel. It is so overwhelming trying to plan everything. So much needs to go into a well planned and researched trip. The even sadder thing, noone but you and your Dis friends will ever appreciate how much effort you put in. When your trip runs incredibly smoothly and everyone has a great time, that will be when you know it was all worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Mum View Post
I can totally relate as no one else in my household is ever interested in trip planning like I am. They are all go-with-the-flow type people which is frustrating because I too would love to bounce ideas off DH in particular. I'm currently working out some day trips to do while we are in Hawaii but I too can see the boredom in his eyes when I mention details. He's happy and interested once we are there but just has no interest in the planning. So that is why, when planning our WDW trip, I became addicted to this forum where I found like-minded people!
My DH is exactly the same, the glazing over is so frustrating and he would be the first to complain if things weren't organised while we were there. Especially food. He hates wandering around aimlessly trying to find somewhere suitable to eat . He loves it all once we are there though and usually gets me a gift on the last day as a thank you for all the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ofus View Post
Oh no!!! I LOVE the planning and I'm glad that my DH shows little-moderate interest in the details. I like knowing where we'll be on what day, what options are available for meals, what the crowds might be like and even what the weather is looking like for that time of the year.

We did Ariel's for lunch - but that was ages ago, in 2005.

How old are your kids? When we took the boys as toddlers we found we couldn't plan too far ahead anyway. I knew where all the Fastpass rides were and what the kids would like so it made things a bit easier, but we basically played it all by ear.
I love the planning too, just sometimes it gets a bit stressful. I wouldn't trust anyone else though so my DH would be damned if he did and damned if he didn't .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust View Post
How much detail do you want? I can do a plan for you, just depends how far you want me to go! Have already done mine so I can base it off that.
Aust - that is so sweet of you. Can't wait to see what you come up with for ExcitedSam.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #8
Caroline NZ
DIS Veteran

Hi, we went to DL in May09 & May11, so my info will be a bit out of date ( as I haven't experienced Carsland and the revamped DCA yet)

But fastpasses that I can think of are:
DLR
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Thunder Mountain
Indiana Jones
Star Tours
Roger Rabbits Toon Town Spin
Autopia

DCA
California Screamin
Soarin Over California
Grizzly White Water Rapids
Tower of Terror
Toy Story Midway Mania
Radiator Springs Racers
Sep/Oct 2013 - 5 weeks California & surrounds road trip, ending of course in Disneyland
Oct 2014 - First trip to WDW
2015 - Planning to head to the UK
Caroline NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
Caroline NZ
DIS Veteran

Everyone is different here, but personally we wouldn't visit the parks on the day we arrive. I like to be fresh and ready to go on full on the next morning.
Instead we enjoy spending time at Downtown Disney, looking in the shops, perhaps doing Build a Bear / Ridermarkerz and having a relaxed evening meal somewhere. Then early to bed.

The biggest tip from me, is to be at the parks at opening, stay until early afternoon, head back to the hotel for a rest until early evening, and then go back to the parks for the nighttime activity. I love love love the parks at night, and first thing in the morning.
Sep/Oct 2013 - 5 weeks California & surrounds road trip, ending of course in Disneyland
Oct 2014 - First trip to WDW
2015 - Planning to head to the UK
Caroline NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #10
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline NZ View Post
Everyone is different here, but personally we wouldn't visit the parks on the day we arrive. I like to be fresh and ready to go on full on the next morning.
Instead we enjoy spending time at Downtown Disney, looking in the shops, perhaps doing Build a Bear / Ridermarkerz and having a relaxed evening meal somewhere. Then early to bed.

The biggest tip from me, is to be at the parks at opening, stay until early afternoon, head back to the hotel for a rest until early evening, and then go back to the parks for the nighttime activity. I love love love the parks at night, and first thing in the morning.
we also bum around the resort the day we get there....easier on DH..he likes to nap, take a swim and hit the food court for his mug and burger

we normally get up around 9am, have breaky then pool hop til 12... do the parks after lunch, back to resort in late arvo, swim, shower then back for EMH & our TS meal...works for us

you gotta just go with what your strengths are, if I dragged the DH to opening, he'd be asleep by 7pm...no fun!
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #11
Tara2004
Mouseketeer

I agree with the girls. You saw my video of the trip over to the USA. I was a mess. The whites of my eyes where red. DONT DO DISNEY on the 1st day over.

Ya know we loved going at night when our body clocks where still on Aussie time. The kids and I where wide awake during the evening. Maybe just take a quick look at the fireworks at night and do a few rides. ( Nights are usually more quite on the rides. )

I was told to do disneyland on wednesdays and Sundays. Most people have to work monday so they don't stick around sunday nights.

2001 WDW ( POP century )
2013 WDW ( Boardwalk, AKL ) Disneyland Anaheim
2014 Oct, Disneyland Anaheim in the planning
Tara2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #12
ExcitedSam
Mouseketeer

I don't plan on going full on when we get there, just get the admin stuff out of the way and take a look around, see how we feel.

I'm still trying to figure out how we will be feeling when we get there, when we're going tone awake, will we want to sleep in?
When I went to Hawaii we arrived about the same time in the morning, we went to bed usual time at night and were fine, I don't remember getting jet lag at all.....but I didn't go with kids either!!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #13
Andona
Destroyer of the Aussie Dollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcitedSam View Post
I don't plan on going full on when we get there, just get the admin stuff out of the way and take a look around, see how we feel.

I think that's a good plan, go with the flow. Unlike the majority here I wouldn't rule out visiting the parks on the first day.

On our first trip to Disneyland we went straight from LAX to the hotel,, probably got there about 10.30am. I asked the family if they wanted to have a rest etc and they looked at me like I was nuts! "No Mum, we want to go to Disneyland!!!!"

So we changed our shoes and off we went. Had lunch, went on a few rides and just wandered around getting our bearings and absorbing the atmosphere. We headed back to the hotel mid afternoon and had a bit of rest, then headed back to downtown Disney for dinner. DD was 15 and DS was 8.

We thought it was a great first day

Andona
2005: DL - 3/50 states | 2007- UK & Paris | 2008: WDW - 14/50 states| 2009: DL - 18/50 States | 2011 European roadtrip - ANZAC day in France | 2012: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip! 25/50 states Read my TR|2013 Italy

Dec 2014 Hawaii Here We Come!

Aug 2015 Pacific Northwest Roadtrip finishing up in DL. Yay!
Andona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #14
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran

Hi there

I was the same on our first trip when it came to deciding on going to Disneyland on the day we arrived! So, we did just what you mentioned earlier and will be doing the same in October..........going to the park and doing the admin things. We have annual passes to collect and I also want to collect our Photopass. That way when we get to go for our first full day we are already ready to go!!! We just go on how we feel and play it by ear!

There is another FP ride at Disneyland to add to the earlier posted list and that is Haunted Mansion if you are going in the holiday times. Also, Goofy's Sky School at DCA has FP, but alas, Toy Story ( quite unfortunately ) does not have fastpass. It's one you don't want to miss though, so it' always best to ride first thing in the morning after you grab FP's for Radiator Springs Racers!

And yes, both lunch and dinner ( and breakfast now for that matter! ) are all available at Ariels Grotto. You can book via email for both AG and Minnie's too! It is loads of fun at Minnie's and has the most characters of all the character meals you can do. AG is great if your girls are into the princesses which at the ages they are, I am sure they would be!

The most important thing is to have fun and go at your own pace! Every one is different and what works for some will not necessarily work for others.

Like other wonderful DISers, I am happy to help out in any way you would like!!! I know the place better than my own backyard!!!

Cheers
Sue

Last edited by Minnie Sue Oz; 07-11-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Minnie Sue Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #15
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Just a quick note - the photopass card doesn't take any time to get, you don't have to go anywhere special to get one, you just find a photopass photographer and they give you a card when they take your photo. Then you use that card from then on - or you can get another one if you leave it in the hotel room.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: