Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #46
muffyn
"hmmm*

Just thought I'd add pictures of the pool & deck so far.

It is still a much progress in the works.

there will be lattice on the sides & some kind of landscaping over here.
the deck will be extended to the length of the pool, they just wanted to get some kind of entrance into the pool working now.

muffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #47
SpecialK
DIS Veteran

Looks great!

I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but it looks like the deck is sitting on the edge of the pool. Is that just the camera angle? If not, between that and the lip on the deck that goes over the pool edge, how will you get the winter cover on?
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #48
tefrench
DIS Addict

You know, that's the first thing I thought of - the winter cover.

We built a deck onto our pool, and we had to get our son to wiggle underneath to help tie down the cover. And if we ever have to replace the liner, my dh will have to tear part of the decking off. Oh, well, live and learn .

But the deck does look beautiful!

Just curious- did you have to get a permit? We did - what a process!

06/1996 - Disneys Wilderness Lodge
06/2009 - Disneys Caribbean Beach
02/2010 - First Disney Cruise!
12/2010 - 1/2011 - Christmas at Disney
10/2011 - Halloween Dream Cruise + Disney World
11/2012 - First Trip to DisneyLand
11/2013 - Coronado Springs & Eastern Caribbean on Fantasy
12/2014 - Christmas and New Years at Disney World
tefrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #49
DawnM
Dawn

Our house came with one. We don't live in a traditional neighborhood though and have 2.5 acres so no one else really sees it. The previous owners left their receipts with their manuals, etc....and I see they spent over $7K for it in 2003.

It is a 24' round pool and still in great condition.

I would prefer an inground, but when it is really hot out, I love it!

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #50
Cantw8
This is blasphemy. You all need to zip it now
..I'm scared..hold me...
You can run..
I think her signiture makes her butt look big
I do have a life ya know

Tacky and proud here I have a 24x48 round pool right smack dab in the back yard. A two-tiered deck surrounds it. French doors off the kitchen open onto the first tier with steps down to the second tier. Think it's tacky all you want while I'm floating around nice and cool in the summer and you are sweating your balls off
Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #51
sandynd
Rookie Desperado

I'm in Canada, so our pool gets about 2 months of use if we're lucky. We only have an Intex because I can't even justify the cost of an aboveground with a deck. What I've always wanted to do though, is build a heated greenhouse with a pool and deck inside it so we could use it year round!
December 1990 - One day in MGM Studios
sandynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #52
Cantw8
This is blasphemy. You all need to zip it now
..I'm scared..hold me...
You can run..
I think her signiture makes her butt look big
I do have a life ya know

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandynd View Post
I'm in Canada, so our pool gets about 2 months of use if we're lucky. We only have an Intex because I can't even justify the cost of an aboveground with a deck. What I've always wanted to do though, is build a heated greenhouse with a pool and deck inside it so we could use it year round!

Now that sounds awesome! I don't know what a Intex is..I'm off to Google
Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #53
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie859 View Post
I've seen above ground pools that are just stuck in the yard with no thought to aesthetics and I've seen some that are nicely decked and landscaped which were very nice. I think a lot of thought needs to be given to placement, decking and plantings in order to pull it off. Sounds like you are aware of the pitfalls of lack of planning Good luck!

That's mine and who do I need to impress anyway.
It's 10 years with just an outside removable ladder, no deck.

If my neighbors don't like what's in my yard they can put up a taller fence.
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #54
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

OP
I did not read thru the entire thread but here are my thoughts..
I think an above ground pool if planned correctly can look just fine... PLANNING is key...Our yard is actually multi level, so tho our pool is technically above ground, the decking goes right up to it (on the shorter side.. its 18 by 33) one then goes from that deck up steps (on the left side) to another deck that is the entire length of the pool. Its all set up with loungers, tables on the upper with our formal dining/bar/cooking area on the lower deck ...Looks lovely lol..it "appears" to be in the ground more than above ground...and we always get rave comments about the yard set up when people come over and see it for the first time...
My brother just got the same size pool installed at his home this summer, he bought a pool that CAN go below grade, it literally sticks up about 10" above ground and the rest is inground...(mine is 4' deep his is 4.5).his decking being built is entirely around his pool, one level..
My brother just paid over 20K for his, so I assume you all are doing the install??? Its a BIG job ...
Best of luck ...do some research in your area ...maybe you can get an "off season deal?"
Whatever you finally choose....enjoy!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #55
muffyn
"hmmm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
Looks great!

I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but it looks like the deck is sitting on the edge of the pool. Is that just the camera angle? If not, between that and the lip on the deck that goes over the pool edge, how will you get the winter cover on?

yes it is just the camera angle

the deck is a couple inches above the pool edge. we wanted to make sure there would be no problems if there was any shifting in the winter.
muffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #56
Fly4free
DIS Veteran

OP it looks really nice! Post some more pics when it is finished. You are gonna be loving it next summer!
Fly4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #57
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx Fan View Post
I have no problem with above ground pools, lots of them in our area. But our over the back fence neighbors pool/deck is driving me nuts.

Our lots are pretty small and all of them are fenced. 3 years ago these folks cut down a beautiful, mature maple tree. Opened up or view to other houses where we used to see a tree. OK, their property, they can do what they want. 2 years ago they took down the chain link fence on the property line and put in a 6 foot white plastic/resin whatever fence. I honestly don't know who owned the old fence, it was here when we moved in 13 years ago and when they moved in 7 years ago. They never said a word to us, just put in the fence. We would have been happy to split the cost if we would have been consulted. I would have preferred a wood fence as 1 1/2 sides of our yard have wood already. But again, OK. Whatever.

Apparently, this work was all in prep for last summer and the installation of a fairly large, above ground, oval pool. Takes up 2/3rds of the yard. Comes almost up to the top of the fence. I don't see it, no big deal. Welcome to 2012! The put a deck around about 1/2 of the pool. With this deck up, they can sit on their deck and look over into my backyard and 2 foot deck. We now have zip privacy and have to look at them and their extended family and friends sitting around on their deck. Look at their towels hanging around the railing constantly. Listen to their music being played on the deck...and since it's above the fence it carries more than ever to our yard. We get their conversations when a bit drunk. We get their tacky roof-only tent thing that provides shade. (to add insult to injury we are a U of M family and the tent is blazing Ohio State) .

But most of all I just hate feeling like a zoo animal in my own backyard. I think it's just rude.
I'd be putting up some pretty tall shrubbery along that back fence line if I were you.....

OP, the pool looks great.

As far as landscaping and the dogs...hostas are pretty durable...my dog would trample them to death every year and they'd come back. Talk to a landscpaer/landscape architect....they can offer some good ideas of more sturdy plants or shrubs that can take the dogs' damage. I'm thinking some of those big ornamental grasses that can be scratchy. Also barberries are good because they have prickers and the dogs gets pricked a couple of time then learn to stay away.....plus they are a maroon color and turn more red in the fall, so they add some color without flowers, which dogs will trample.

As far as above vs. below-ground. We were apparently the tackiest of the tacky when I was growing up because we had an above-ground pool with a ladder. No rust of weeds growing around it though.

My brother-in-law just replaced his above-ground pool with ::: gasp!:: another above-ground pool. He had the deck formed around the old pool, so when he put the new pool in, he had to do some deck modifications in order to put the new pool into the old deck area, since the new pool wasn't quite the same shape. Soemthing to think about in terms of decking the pool.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~

Last edited by Disney Doll; 09-28-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #58
PollyannaMom
I was a click-clack champ!!

I have one - but it came with my house, so I never really had to think about it. The deck comes off the back door, then includes steps up to a second level that acts as the "pool deck". There are plants and a fence, so I think it all looks like it belongs there. At least I've never had any complaints.

me, DH, DS(13), and lots of pets
PollyannaMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: