Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #16
scbelleatheart
DIS Veteran

I loved mine. We lived on a hill so it was 1/2 underground, 20 x 40 with a 10 foot deep end and diving board surrounded by wood deck. Ma ybe tacky to some but not to me. I loved to look out the window at it. The pump and salt system were all under the decking at the deep end so easy access. The deck was more expensive than the pool but beautiful in the end. We also put a hot tub sunk in to the deck.
scbelleatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #17
ilovezach33
Earning My Ears

Not tacky at all, IMO.

Growing up, we had a HUGE above-ground pool with a nice-sized deck. I loved it!
ilovezach33 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #18
wdwmom2
It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Hopefully the Disney magic will kick in
my co-workers made me bath in Scope mouth wash
Fractured Prune is like donut Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I have an above ground pool with a deck around half of it. Personally I hate the way above ground pools look with or without a deck, but when its 90+ and I'm floating around in it, I really don't care

Neither of these are my pool, but they look nice

The second pic is actually a semi-inground pool. Basically, an above ground that can be sunk down in the ground.

I had my hubby look at this exact pic a few weeks ago. He's itching for an inground, but no way do I want to spend that kind of money. This happens every year when it gets hot out. I come home to find the internet opened up to an in-ground pool site

wdwmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #19
Debbie7452
DIS Veteran

We have an above ground pool with NO deck but we have gotten so much use out of the silly thing that I have come to not care! It was $400 at Sam's Club and we are on year 4 with it. I got a 3 tiered fountain we attached to the filter to "class" it up I love the sound of the fountain...We are tacky and proud!
Debbie7452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #20
Fly4free
DIS Veteran

One of my neighbors has an above ground pool that is recessed into the ground. It's a very large oval shaped pool which a deck all the way around. They also have the steps that let let you walk into the pool. It's great for playing volleyball and I love it when they ask us to use the pool and run the pump ect. while they go away!

The pool looks very nice with the decking all around. It seems like the best of both worlds, pretty pool without the commitment and $ of an in ground. Also an in ground pool may affect the resale of your beautiful home.
Fly4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #21
emer95
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie7452 View Post
We have an above ground pool with NO deck but we have gotten so much use out of the silly thing that I have come to not care! It was $400 at Sam's Club and we are on year 4 with it. I got a 3 tiered fountain we attached to the filter to "class" it up I love the sound of the fountain...We are tacky and proud!
Good for you!! I think that's awesome. Think of how much $$ you have saved, and fun you've had!
Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #22
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie7452 View Post
Oh my, how did you possibly own up to that in a public forum. And one from Sam's Club at that!

I think the rich snobs need to mind their own dang business instead of fretting how "tacky" us poor people are. So I have an Intex pool as well. And I do not have a deck around it (would like one though, maybe next year.) The "tackiness" of an above ground pool is just the rich snobs mad now because a pool use to be for them, but now there are cheap alternatives for us poor folk.

Put up an above ground pool. Put up one of those cheap blowup ring pools. Heck, put it in your front yard and tell all the rich snobs to mind their own business!

The kids love our 22' cheap Intex pool, especially since there isn't a public pool around for them to go to.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #23
muffyn
"hmmm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxstch View Post
if that's your house, it looks like you have a lovely home with a big back yard. Just remember to check local codes when you install a pool and deck..some places require you to have the entire are fenced in!
yup our backyard... thanks

we just got done with a remodel/build this spring in the house,, & just when my hubby thought he had downtime this project came up...

you can't actually see it in the picture but the whole acre backyard has a 6 foot fence around it,,, because of the dogs. we have 17 acres, but we need to keep the dogs contained to run... they are afghans & they would be gone in a flash if we didn't have tall fencing ( the only drawback to them )

& speaking of the dogs, several of you mentioned landscaping...
with all the dogs tearing through wherever they want,, plants are just not gonna happen

that would be a wonderful idea,, but I think we will have to go with lattice around the bottom of the decking. I might be able to work out climbing plants or something stuck tight against the fence... hmm will have to think about it,

& just to bore you guys,, I might just add more pictures of progress,

muffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #24
SunnyP4Disney
Mouseketeer

I have an in ground pool, so I don't particularly like above ground, but you really don't see them here in FL. I actually can't think of one I've seen in my area. Now, I know up north, it's a lot more common and adding the deck around it would definitely enhance it. I wouldnt wrinkle my nose if I visited a house with an above ground pool, but I wouldn't have one myself. I just don't like them.
Self appointed resort guru! Since I was a wee thing I've stayed at Contemporary Resort (including Presidential suite), Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge (opening weekend), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Yacht Club, Beach Club, Coronado, POR (honeymoon), POFQ, Carribbean Beach, Pop, AOA Cars Suites (Cast Preview), ASR, Fort Wilderness Cabins, Disney Inn (now Shades of Green), Grand Floridian, Treehouse Villas, Fairway Villas (RIP) and Boardwalk, Disneyland Hotel, Davy Crockett Ranch (Paris), Hotel Santa Fe (Paris), & Sequoia Lodge (Paris)! Now, I make the magic for others!
SunnyP4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:12 AM   #25
disykat
DIS Veteran

I would be thinking "Cool, you have a pool!" As long as they are kept in good repair, they are not tacky! Just because something isn't as nice doesn't mean it's automatically tacky.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #26
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I have an above ground pool with a deck around half of it. Personally I hate the way above ground pools look with or without a deck, but when its 90+ and I'm floating around in it, I really don't care

Neither of these are my pool, but they look nice

I'm not a big fan of the above ground pool because Our yards here in cali would not be able to hold plus extra room. I do like the pictures you posted of the above ground with the decks. No room for deck here in our yard but i think if you have the room it would be cool!

The reason i dont like the above ground pool is because if a kid happens to get in you can't see in and i freak out about it. Now if there a deck i like you can look down into the pool.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #27
Jaime4004
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emer95 View Post
We have a 28-ft above ground pool, with a gorgeous Trex deck attached to the house and then out to the pool. It's a gray deck with white vinyl fencing. We also have a hot tub recessed into the deck, and beautiful landscaping around it. We spent around $15,000 for absolutely everything, which is less than half the cost of just an in-ground pool. After you spend 30 grand on the pool (around here that's what it costs) you then need concrete around it, a fence, landscaping, etc. I could not justify the cost of an in ground. We love our yard and pool!
We have the same. Just got the pool last summer and DH has been building a deck from our slider doors out, attaching to a higher deck at the pool. ALso gray trex with white railing. I love it, think it looks fabulous. But it did cost a fortune, even with DH building it. Still, it is less than 1/2 the cost of an inground. I would love an inground, but the amount of time we can use it in new england doesn't make it worth it, to me. Seems just about everyone we know has a similar above ground pool.
I'm jealous of your hot tub.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #28
U2_rocks!
The DISer formerly known as U2_rocks - member since Oct 2005
I wasn't a "bad girl", but I wasn't little miss perfect either!

My parents recently bought an above ground Intex, basic round pool. It isn't the prettiest thing, but it's in the back garden that isn't visible to all and sundry. They went that route because they wanted to try out having a pool before committing to a permanent one (they've never had a pool in their life - we always just went to the beach). They weren't sure if they wanted the maintenance and weren't ready to dig a hole in the ground. Both my brother and I live next door (it's like a family compound) and our kids love to play in the pool on hot days when we don't make it to the beach. We really don't care what others think - the above ground pool is working for us at the moment and we will enjoy it no matter what!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #29
kisaacs
Mouseketeer

I have one and I love it. We're in a unique situation in that our house opens up onto a deck that is about 3 feet off the ground to start with, so, the pool deck is only 2 steps up. We put it in this year, and it's absolutely, hands down, the best purchase I've ever made...ever. We're in it almost every day.

An in ground pool would have run us 30K+. We spent $7K and got a pool, the electrical, the install, and the deck (built ourselves). Our deck only goes about 1/4 of the way around, but it's fine with us. Next year's project is a hot tub next to it!

Go for it. You won't regret it!

Kristen
kisaacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #30
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb1 View Post
Our first house had this. They had made it look amazing. First of all, you couldn't tell right away it was an above ground pool. They excavated and basically buried a good part of it. Then they surrounded it with really pretty decking that was nicely landscaped. So you walked out of the back door, onto the decking, and there was the pool, which you stepped down into, like an inground pool. I thought it was an ingenious way to have a pool without all the $$$.
Many of my friends have these - kind of a hybrid, and they look great! I'm not a fan of typical above ground pools. I don't know what you mean about getting a cover, and using it year-round. I've had an inground pool forever, and it's used 3 months out of the year (and heated), and covered/winterized in the winter. I've never heard of anyone here in the NE using their pool over the winter - some have pushed it until October, but it's expensive to heat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: