Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #136
Andona
Destroyer of the Aussie Dollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Mum View Post
Remember that, on Air NZ, you can start your movies as soon as you get onboard. So, if there are lots that you want to watch, board as soon as you can and get settled in so you can start watching your movie while all the slow pokes get themselves settled It does get paused quite a bit in the beginning as all the announcements are made by the flight attendants but it's still worth doing.
Ahh, That's excellent! It answers a question I was thinking about yesterday. It's the same as the Virgin Australia system then ( and better than the QANTAS one!)

Thanks TRavelMum

Andona
2005: DL - 3/50 states | 2007- UK & Paris | 2008: WDW - 14/50 states| 2009: DL - 18/50 States | 2011 European roadtrip - ANZAC day in France | 2012: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip! 25/50 states Read my TR|2013 Italy

Dec 2014 Hawaii Here We Come!

Aug 2015 Pacific Northwest Roadtrip finishing up in DL. Yay!
Andona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #137
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

wet weather and wdw

in 2010 we were there for a tropical downpour the night of our MNSSHP....the wind and rain was amazing...alerts thur the state etc re bad weather....

so at 4pm that arvo its torrential..we rock up at 8pm MK, the stars are out and the water has drained away.........crazy....

the parks are built to deal with lots of rainfall.....amazing how dry everything becomes.....

fingers crossed that its the same this year..but hey, the more it rains, the less crowds to fight for space mountain

so our plan is
pool in the morning (hardly rains in the AM)
parks arvo/nights
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #138
cassi8
Earning My Ears

I've been a bit naughty and not posting in here as I should be, its all getting close and exciting for everyone now!

We depart 18th for DLR as a party of 6 Adults and 4 kids (2 x 4yos and 2 under 2) I am stressing about what and how much food to pack for the baby. (1yo) Its my first OS trip so long haul is new to my and DH and all exciting but daunting at the same time.

The 4yo will be fine, he will (hopefully) have tele and the ipad and maybe I can distract him from screens with activity books although he is a tech head in the making!

I hope Isaac passes over and those with travel plans in the area are kept safe.
cassi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #139
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassi8 View Post

I've been a bit naughty and not posting in here as I should be, its all getting close and exciting for everyone now!

We depart 18th for DLR as a party of 6 Adults and 4 kids (2 x 4yos and 2 under 2) I am stressing about what and how much food to pack for the baby. (1yo) Its my first OS trip so long haul is new to my and DH and all exciting but daunting at the same time.

The 4yo will be fine, he will (hopefully) have tele and the ipad and maybe I can distract him from screens with activity books although he is a tech head in the making!

I've not travelled with a baby before, you're brave
You'll have a great time though, no doubt about it.
DL is awesome! My DS still raves about it, we took him when he was nearly 4, such a great age for them to experience it

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #140
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Quote:

my advice..pack for every contingency

extra clothes, toys and food....expect nothing from the airline re the kids and you'll be right. Also make sure you pre board, so let the gate attendant know you have a pack of kids....they will board you with first class and you can be settled before the angry hordes.

Also pack twice the amount of food needed for the kids as their may be delays, diversions or they are just hungry.

Also, sign EVERYONE with tickets up for the frequent flyer program on the airline you are flying if i havent already told you this before....

is baby a lap baby, or does she/he have a seat? take extra blankets to pad around the seat arms so you can lay her across your laps to sleep..share the load. You will not be able to use the bassinets (too big) or the floor (safety and its grotty)for her to sleep...

ears will ache for them when landing and taking off, so a bottle or lollies are great for this time.

wet whipes are a must.....and please resist the urge to change the nappy on the tray table or on your seat, it freaks the other passengers out, and really its just bogan...ask the hostie for the toilet with the change table, their will be one available.

plan ahead, and you'll be fine
Old 08-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #141
cassi8
Earning My Ears

people change babies on tray tables?! yuck! nope, we will make use of the correct facilities before we board and during flight. I dunno who is sitting near enough to see him and I am sure no one needs to know what he has eaten during the day!

Hawaiian are giving us nothing for the kids on our flight between Vegas and HI, how awesome of them.

Baby is a lap kid, with 4 adults to pass him around we should be ok. Will take a wrap for him and 2 small blankets, one for each of them. He will either sleep in the bassinet if he is allowed one, or I have a carrier to put him in so we can rest when/if he does. At least its a night flight so his body will be telling him to sleep long stretches, I am fully prepared to not have any sleep though between the two of them.

things to suck (milk for baby) check!
trailer load of wipes check!
half trailer of nappies check!
extra clothes for everyone and 2 sets for the kids check!

Trying to figure out what will keep the baby amused is hard as well.. I shall figure something out!

I am going to hassle the GP for the medical side, they are both due for shots anyway and will ask about ears. I have concerns after a Melb/Syd flight on the baby so want to be prepared.

I'm sure we will be fine! I'll just keep writing lists and adding to them until I can pull bags out and start packing.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #142
australiankaren

Quote:
people change babies on tray tables?! yuck! nope, we will make use of the correct facilities before we board and during flight. I dunno who is sitting near enough to see him and I am sure no one needs to know what he has eaten during the day!

Hawaiian are giving us nothing for the kids on our flight between Vegas and HI, how awesome of them.

Baby is a lap kid, with 4 adults to pass him around we should be ok. Will take a wrap for him and 2 small blankets, one for each of them. He will either sleep in the bassinet if he is allowed one, or I have a carrier to put him in so we can rest when/if he does. At least its a night flight so his body will be telling him to sleep long stretches, I am fully prepared to not have any sleep though between the two of them.

things to suck (milk for baby) check!
trailer load of wipes check!
half trailer of nappies check!
extra clothes for everyone and 2 sets for the kids check!

Trying to figure out what will keep the baby amused is hard as well.. I shall figure something out!

I am going to hassle the GP for the medical side, they are both due for shots anyway and will ask about ears. I have concerns after a Melb/Syd flight on the baby so want to be prepared.

I'm sure we will be fine! I'll just keep writing lists and adding to them until I can pull bags out and start packing.
I know re changing baby on the tray table..seen it happen ..also people put shoes on tables, feet etc....so don't expect tray table to be clean..wipe it down with wipes if you can before use.

can i also recommend you take a few small garbage bags, they are great it one of the small people gets the trots or sick....

also contact the airline re the carrier, as most airlines wont let you put a child on the floor...so just double check.

you are allowed to take a certified baby seat from your car, so maybe that would be good for the older kids...booster seats..but once again check with airline.Just make sure the kids dont kick the back of the chair in front....that drives me nuts

Tip: if you can, check in early, and see if the check in chick can block off a spare seat between you and your DH for baby (this will only happen if you get there early and the flight isn't full)....

they also recommend you keep nap times the same as you would at home, keep the routine.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #143
cassi8
Earning My Ears

awesome tips! FWIW we are flying with Virgin.

I think we will be at the airport before check in opens, so many people, allowing for peak hour traffic and the kids will be just too excited to stay home. we will get early lunch and let the kids burn some energy ect, there won't be too much waiting to do.

I meant a sling type carrier (ergo) I wouldn't dream of putting him on the floor, who know who vomited there last!

The thought of lugging a car seat around on holiday.. just ugh! Its good to know though.

Wet bags check!

mental note to actually use the anti bac gel and look into some wipes for the trays.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #144
australiankaren

Quote:
awesome tips! FWIW we are flying with Virgin.

I think we will be at the airport before check in opens, so many people, allowing for peak hour traffic and the kids will be just too excited to stay home. we will get early lunch and let the kids burn some energy ect, there won't be too much waiting to do.

I meant a sling type carrier (ergo) I wouldn't dream of putting him on the floor, who know who vomited there last!

The thought of lugging a car seat around on holiday.. just ugh! Its good to know though.

Wet bags check!

mental note to actually use the anti bac gel and look into some wipes for the trays.

Virgin are fantastic..great inflight entertainment. the crew are good too...and i'm sure they do priority boarding for families...just double check.

Dont be afraid to ask for any help/ they would rather you ask and be of assistance than have you struggle.

yep, the nasty things people do with the tray tables makes your tummy turn over

your going to have a great flight good choice
Old 08-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #145
omalleycat
Earning My Ears

We are off to the airport this afternoon, pretty much ready to go and definately raring to go! Good luck and safe travels to all the September DL / WDW travellers.
omalleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #146
AussieJess
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by omalleycat View Post
We are off to the airport this afternoon, pretty much ready to go and definately raring to go! Good luck and safe travels to all the September DL / WDW travellers.
have a great time on your trip

I currently have 15 sleeps to go
Old 08-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #147
Andona

Quote:
Originally Posted by omalleycat View Post
Have a fantastic time!!! Two weeks more waiting for us

Andona
2005: DL - 3/50 states | 2007- UK & Paris | 2008: WDW - 14/50 states| 2009: DL - 18/50 States | 2011 European roadtrip - ANZAC day in France | 2012: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip! 25/50 states Read my TR|2013 Italy

Old 08-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #148
Andona

Breathe....

So DH is going through a bigger-than-usual pre-trip panic about getting work done before we leave ( sometimes being self-employed sucks!)

Soooo, I'm going in to the office to help with the load....

in the meantime my own work isn't getting done....

and I'm starting to panic about all the trip-related things I still need to do ( has DS grown out of his summer pyjamas?? Probably! - slot in shopping somewhere...)....

we have Father's Day, family birthday and my parents wedding anniversary celebrations between now and we go away too...

Someone pass the wine...quick!!

Andona

Old 08-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #149
cassi8
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andona View Post
So DH is going through a bigger-than-usual pre-trip panic about getting work done before we leave ( sometimes being self-employed sucks!)

Soooo, I'm going in to the office to help with the load....

in the meantime my own work isn't getting done....

and I'm starting to panic about all the trip-related things I still need to do ( has DS grown out of his summer pyjamas?? Probably! - slot in shopping somewhere...)....

we have Father's Day, family birthday and my parents wedding anniversary celebrations between now and we go away too...

Someone pass the wine...quick!!

Andona
I know how you feel, I have 2 piled up weekends to get through before I pack. Fathers Day and DS1s birthday party on Sunday, tomorrow is filled with party prep, shots for both kids and all the regular shopping and swimming lessons. Next weekend is DS2s 1st birthday party, so this weekend all over again without the kids shots I'll somehow get through!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #150
australiankaren

13 sleeps

its a full moon
exams on so we are full
construction work going on over my head
disney parcels gone awol

yeah team!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: