Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #16
Schachteles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy&princess View Post
We too are surprising our 6 kids. Two of them think we r going on just a vacation and decided they didn't want to go. But closer to dec 22 we r giving each kid a gift that will contain a letter from Santa (since one still believes) we have around a 25 hour drive to get there. Lord that drive to Florida is a killer with 6 kids of varying ages
25 hours?? HOLY COW, where are you driving from? Good luck!!

Schachteles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #17
grumpy&princess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schachteles

25 hours?? HOLY COW, where are you driving from? Good luck!!
Middle of pa. But with that many kids we constantly stop for potty breaks. We made the trip 2 times two years ago but to Naples Florida and that was twice in one summer when we thought my fil wasnt going to make it and let me tell u it's one heck of a trip trying to figure things for them to do so the trip isn't do stressful on us this time around
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #18
Schachteles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy&princess View Post
Middle of pa. But with that many kids we constantly stop for potty breaks. We made the trip 2 times two years ago but to Naples Florida and that was twice in one summer when we thought my fil wasnt going to make it and let me tell u it's one heck of a trip trying to figure things for them to do so the trip isn't do stressful on us this time around
GOOD LUCK, that is a long time in the car, but they will be so excited. We have never done a road trip longer than maybe 3 hours in the car with our kids. So this summer we are giving it a try...then maybe we will give it a whurl driving to Florida. I have a hard time giving up part of my vacation to drive.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #19
mymickeyfans
Mouseketeer

I love the idea of surprising them.. We're surprising ours with their first trip ever to WDW in October as well (they will be 8 and 3 1/2). We're telling them at home the day before...having "UPS" drop a box at the door filled with balloons, name fill Disney t-shirts and a letter from Mickey and Minnie...I can't wait). What about having your car decorated when they get out of school on Friday with a poster telling them they are going and some balloons??

Good luck with whatever you do. I'm sure they will be thrilled!!!

me
DH-
DS(7.5 yrs)
DD(3yrs)
mymickeyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #20
jenlov
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schachteles View Post
That is an idea. We have to drop our dogs off at a friends house who is taking us then to the airport. So I guess we could "lie" to our kids and tell them we are going to visit their grandparents in Albuquerque.
How about dropping the dogs off before picking the kids up from school, then just pretend that you're dropping the neighbor off at the airport instead of the other way around? then when you get to the airport tell them? or just tell them you're going on a trip, and they'll find out what it is when you get there?

I wish we had done the surprise thing, but we kind of included our kids in on the decision to go b/c it is their Christmas present. We wanted to make sure that it was something they would want to do instead of getting lots of gifts this year. They're all REALLY excited about it! We do plan on giving them each a WDW gift card as part of their gift so that they can "shop" for something while we're there.
jenlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #21
Prefam4
Earning My Ears

Oh how fun!
We surprised our son and daughter last year for fall break. They were almost 4 and almost 6 at the time.

We planned a big reveal for Friday night and didn't leave until early Sunday am. My parents took my DS and DD to my DS soccer practice. I had a cake make with mouse ears on top that said "We are going to Disney World!". I had shirts made for them off a seller from Etsy (it was their first trip) and then I had someone on the Disign board do an invitation letter from Mickey.
We got a box and put the shirts and the letter as well as a balloon in the box. Printed out a mailing label with their names on it and made it look like the box had been mailed. We put it by our front door and waited for them to get home and see the box. When they got home they told us there was a box, so we brought it in. DS read their names on the box and we let them open it.
When the balloon popped out my DD immediately went for the balloon, they found their shirts and then DH read the invitation letter. DS started jumping up and down and said "I knew this day would come" and was bouncing all over the place. DD was more impressed by the mickey balloon. LOL Afterwards we had friends over for pizza and cake.

I'm already working on how to surprise them for when we go for the Princess Half Marathon.
1st Family Trip- POP- 10/16/2011,
Joined DVC - SSR home resort 6/2012
Princess Half Trip- BLT- 02/21/2013
Prefam4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #22
knottmel1
Mouseketeer

Go on YouTube and search "surprise Disney" and let your creative juices flow. Every kind of treasure hunt, surprise reveal, and wild screaming fest you can imagine. I watched for hours just to find my surprise reveal. Our first trip is in November. I am going to pick up DS (5) from school with a big Mickey balloon and his suitcase. I am going to rush up and tell him to hurry hurry we have to go to see Mickey! (His teacher will know ahead of time of course). I can't wait to see the excitement on his little face!

knottmel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #23
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

We surprised our kids this past March. We had to fly out at 8am, so we had to get them up early to be at the airport by 6am. We had balloons and a letter in the car...it was a magical moment (video is dark at first, but it gets better):

http://s1131.photobucket.com/albums/...t=VID00036.mp4
oopsiDAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #24
Schachteles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsiDAISY View Post
We surprised our kids this past March. We had to fly out at 8am, so we had to get them up early to be at the airport by 6am. We had balloons and a letter in the car...it was a magical moment (video is dark at first, but it gets better):

http://s1131.photobucket.com/albums/...t=VID00036.mp4

OMG, I have tears in my eyes...that is awesome!! Can you post your wording?

I think we are going to tell the kids that we are going to Albuquerque (to visit grandparents) and then we will be flying thru Orlando. If I can get them in the car and then have a letter like that...would be great!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #25
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schachteles View Post
OMG, I have tears in my eyes...that is awesome!! Can you post your wording?

I think we are going to tell the kids that we are going to Albuquerque (to visit grandparents) and then we will be flying thru Orlando. If I can get them in the car and then have a letter like that...would be great!
I will have to get the letter from my girls tonight. I will try to post it tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #26
Schachteles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I will have to get the letter from my girls tonight. I will try to post it tomorrow.
THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO DO THAT!

Old 10-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #27
Schachteles
DIS Veteran

Here is what my husband came up with...

Hi Camille and Carly,

I am glad to see you are home from school,
Keep up the good work, no matter what anyone says, that really is cool.

You have reached your goal of not eating out,
That is something to really brag about.

So as a reward to the both of you,
Your mom and dad have something really special to do.

They have been working on this behind the scenes,
Well yes maybe, they are a couple of fiends.

After months of planning, scheming and secrets galore,
What is about to happen next will not be a bore.

There are more secrets to come and your parents will share them with you,
But at the moment there is just too much to do.

So now it is time to jump in the car and leave your house,
To come visit your pal, me, Mickey Mouse.

P.S. See you real soon!

We have NINE days to keep the secret and it is getting HARD and there have been a few times I have almost slipped...and there was a point I THOUGHT my 10 year old might know, but I think we are safe!

Old 10-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #28
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

That poem is SO GREAT!!! You are in home stretch now...you can do it!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #29
Schachteles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That poem is SO GREAT!!! You are in home stretch now...you can do it!!!
THANK YOU for helping us get started. I sent him your information and that is what he came up with. We mailed it to the house, so we will give it to the girls when they get home from school on Friday the 12th and we are needing to leave to get to the airport...it is the home stretch. Thankfully I am SUPER busy at the office, so I am not dwelling on the time till we go.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #30
blebert
Mouseketeer

5 years ago when we took out oldest 2 DDs (at the time they we 4&3) we just loaded them up really early (we live in Fl, so it's not that long of a drive) they were still in their pjs. We stopped to eat and I got them dressed. They didn't know where we were going til they seen the Disney signs and they screamed they were so happy. This time, I am trying to decide to do they same thing (since I have 4 children now) or make bags up with things to occupy their time for the rest of the ride and while there for waiting in lines and waiting for shows) and shirts I am going to make and when we stop for breakfast give it to them so they can but the shirts on then. What way do y'all think I should go?
Hoping this list will grow
My Favorite Disney Memory is getting to spend a weekend at Disney World with Rascal Flatts when they were first coming out.
blebert is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: