Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
magrudersmakes3
DIS Veteran

Renting DVC points

It seems very reasonable and we would use Davids as I have read good things about his business. I guess I'm wondering am I missing something. It provides deluxe resorts at a great price. We are going to submit a rental request, but was looking for some feedback from our Disney friends here first.

1998 First trip offsite, 2003 CBR, 2004 Sea World, 2005 POR, 2007 POR, 2008 BW, 2010 CCL, 2010 HRH Universal, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Dream, 2013 POP/POR (Princess 1/2 Marathon), 2013 BLT
magrudersmakes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Not missing something! We just booked the BCV through David's DVC Rentals.

The reasons some people do not like to rent are:
-Lack of daily turndown service
-Locked in to reservation (no cancellations)
-No control over reservation (David must arrange Magical Express, for example)

It should also be noted that the room decor of some of the villas leaves something to be desired in comparison with the resort rooms.. but this has nothing to do with renting vs buying.

We did not care about any of the above "cons" and are paying a moderate price for the BCV! So glad to have discovered renting.

Good luck!
YC GV- January 2015, GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
mariamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magrudersmakes3
It seems very reasonable and we would use Davids as I have read good things about his business. I guess I'm wondering am I missing something. It provides deluxe resorts at a great price. We are going to submit a rental request, but was looking for some feedback from our Disney friends here first.
There is an entire thread devoted to renting points on the DVC board.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
magrudersmakes3
DIS Veteran

Thank you!!

The cons you listed are not deal breakers for us either.

I have read the threads, but kept feeling like it sounded too good to be true. That is why I love the boards. It's great having feedback from someone who shares the same obsession.

1998 First trip offsite, 2003 CBR, 2004 Sea World, 2005 POR, 2007 POR, 2008 BW, 2010 CCL, 2010 HRH Universal, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Dream, 2013 POP/POR (Princess 1/2 Marathon), 2013 BLT
Old 07-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
scdufek
Mouseketeer

We have rented pointsfrom two different people, but not from Dave. Both times went very well. We got a free dining pin, that is why we didn't rent this time. Also, we are a family of 5, with the youngest being 4, we would have to get a bigger room. The only negative for me was the towels. They only clean the room every 4 days including towels, and for a family of 5 was difficult. You can pay for extra towels though.
scdufek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
shannonstar
StarGirlJapp

We are doing it for the first time this year too. The only other negative is is free dining is offered, you are not eligible. If that doesn't bother you either, then book away.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
tallen429
DIS Veteran

Depending on how comfortable you are with a private transaction, points are usually $1-3 cheaper from someone on the Dis DVC board than from David.
We got a great deal from a lovely lady there and it was totally stress free!

tallen429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Glad you asked the question, OP, I've been wondering the same thing. I've never rented points, but keep checking on Dave's and elsewhere. May take the plunge next trip. Good luck to you!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
magrudersmakes3
DIS Veteran

Thanks!

The towels were a small concern, but I'll just add extra towel service if needed. Not enough to not try in my eyes.

We don't do the dining plan so not worried about that.

Doing a private one makes me nervous after hearing some horror stories. I don't mind paying a little bit more for a piece of mind.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
LilGMom
It makes me want to Kiss on the lips!
I have caught myself laughing more than a few times

Want to add that if you are renting DVC points you will get "Trash and Towel" service on the fourth day of your reservation. Daily mousekeeping is available for an additional charge and would need to be arranged through David's Rental or through the DVC owner that you are renting through. The DDP can be added to a reservation but would need to be paid in full at time of adding the DDP and has to be done prior to arriving at the resort.
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo, Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (aka "Home"), Bay Lake Towers, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Carribean Beach, The Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter & Riverside, Saratoga Springs (aka "Home"), Shades of Green, Swan, Treehouse Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, & the Disney Dream.

Upcoming trips: Whenver we feel like it. Living close has its perks.
"Well if there's enough room for a chowder-head like you, then there is more than enough room for a dragon" - Pete's Dragon
LilGMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
magicaldisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGMom View Post
Want to add that if you are renting DVC points you will get "Trash and Towel" service on the fourth day of your reservation.
This is is you are staying 7 nights or less. If you are staying 8 nights or more you will receive full cleaning on day 4 and towel/trash on day 8. If you will be renting 1 bedroom or larger you will have a washer and dryer in your unit if you feel the need to wash the towels before the 4th or 8th day.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonstar View Post
We are doing it for the first time this year too. The only other negative is is free dining is offered, you are not eligible. If that doesn't bother you either, then book away.
But the price you are getting a deluxe room for would probably make up for the difference in 'free' dining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magrudersmakes3 View Post
Thank you!!

The cons you listed are not deal breakers for us either.

I have read the threads, but kept feeling like it sounded too good to be true. That is why I love the boards. It's great having feedback from someone who shares the same obsession.
well, one thing for sure here, if it's not good, you would have heard about it. and if it is good, you'll hear about it.. so there ya go

Quote:
Originally Posted by magrudersmakes3 View Post
Thanks!

The towels were a small concern, but I'll just add extra towel service if needed. Not enough to not try in my eyes.

We don't do the dining plan so not worried about that.

Doing a private one makes me nervous after hearing some horror stories. I don't mind paying a little bit more for a piece of mind.
as far as towels go, unless you are in a studio, you should have a washer / dryer. if you are talking about getting new towels, throw a load in the washer.. yea, yea i know, you are on vacation, but it's a load of towels lol..
Old 07-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
magrudersmakes3
DIS Veteran

I have no problem doing laundry in vacation. I actually just did it this morning as we always spend a week around the 4th at our summer place. The only problem with this one is we would only be getting a studio. There is only us and our daughter do a 1 bedroom just doesn't make sense.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
magicaldisney
DIS Veteran

Not having daily housekeeping is so liberating....don't knock it until you try it!!! Just kidding....well maybe not ....but it really is not as bad as one might think.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #15
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen429 View Post
Depending on how comfortable you are with a private transaction, points are usually $1-3 cheaper from someone on the Dis DVC board than from David.
We got a great deal from a lovely lady there and it was totally stress free!

I rented points from individuals 2 or 3 times before I bought. My co-worker has rented 3 times. All transactions were flawless. Good luck and have fun

JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: