Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #31
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

If both parks have early entry, it won't be such a big deal. Perhaps that is why there is such a hurry to get the new ride done at Universal and then the new Harry Potter section.

People will be pretty much split evenly between the two parks and we shouldn't really notice the difference.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #32
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

Artist renderings and highlighted map location of future site:

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2012/0...-rooms-suites/

Still, to me, ick .... But that's just me.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #33
ctl
Mouseketeer

Question Increased crowds at early entry

I'm wondering exactly when the new hotel will open in 2014. I had planned to take my daughter to WDW (8days) and IOA (2 days) for her 18th birthday and stay on site so she could see WWoHP (she's a HP nut). If the new hote opens then early entry and increased crowds could make it super packed. I'm looking at end of 2nd week of January for the IOA 2 days on site , which is when her birthday falls. Any thoughts?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #34
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl View Post
I'm wondering exactly when the new hotel will open in 2014. I had planned to take my daughter to WDW (8days) and IOA (2 days) for her 18th birthday and stay on site so she could see WWoHP (she's a HP nut). If the new hote opens then early entry and increased crowds could make it super packed. I'm looking at end of 2nd week of January for the IOA 2 days on site , which is when her birthday falls. Any thoughts?
I think since the new hotel was just announced yesterday, no one knows when in 2014 it will open...no one can tell right now. I'm sure many dates will change between now and then.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #35
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Thanks jodie was wondering 'where', very retro

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
If both parks have early entry, it won't be such a big deal. Perhaps that is why there is such a hurry to get the new ride done at Universal and then the new Harry Potter section.

People will be pretty much split evenly between the two parks and we shouldn't really notice the difference.
imo that's subject to one's tolerance level and their past experience.
The parks are already more crowded than pre HP days (Universal reported a 41% increase in attendance last year). Pretty sure they were all there when I was.

If all the majority of the new onsite guests decide to devote the 1st part of each day to see HP's house (that'd be my strategy), IOA will be slammed.

i'm a betting sort, here's my take:

Repeat onsite guests' negative comments would lead to FOTL being instituted at HP if only for a portion of the day. Loews would promptly challenge the market and dramatically raise their existing onsite resort rack rates while touting the new & improved HP accessible FOTL perc.

who's next with a scenario?

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #36
ctl
Mouseketeer

Thanks. I guess if there's anew HP section opening up too, then I ought to go ahead and book Loews on-site as soon as I can for the 2 days. I'm new to the Universal thing,(we are Disneyphiles) How early can you book on-site hotels?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #37
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post

The parks are already more crowded than pre HP days (Universal reported a 41% increase in attendance last year). Pretty sure they were all there when I was.

If all the majority of the new onsite guests decide to devote the 1st part of each day to see HP's house (that'd be my strategy), IOA will be slammed.

Repeat onsite guests' negative comments would lead to FOTL being instituted at HP if only for a portion of the day. Loews would promptly challenge the market and dramatically raise their existing onsite resort rack rates while touting the new & improved HP accessible FOTL perc.

My scenario would be that UO starts eliminating early entry for some of the off-site partner hotels. Now that they will havetheir own value resort onsite, they may not renew some of their current partner hotel partnerships?

I would also hope that this new value resort doesn't start offering discount express options. If it does, I hope UO would start reducing the number of paid express offered to the GP.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #38
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

I have to agree on the "ick" part. Universal has built two incredibly immersive fantasy hotels -- Portofino Bay Hotel and Royal Pacific Resort. Both are really, IMO, more creative and more interesting and more immersive than any of the WDW resorts. Hard Rock Hotel is kind of its own thing -- but still has a strong theme attractive to many people -- and the hotel itself is very beautiful with its California mission-chic architecture.

Why they would follow these very successful hotels with something that is not only geared to the value market but looks like it?

I agree the value market idea is a good one -- and lots of families will love the family suites. But, the theme is so boring -- mid-century USA and the Fifties? It looks like a poor man's Contemporary Hotel.

I agree with the poster who asks why young families would relate to this theme at all? Seems like Harry Potter would be an ideal theme. But, if that is too expensive to justify in a value resort, there must be something else . . . anything else!

Marvel Comics, perhaps -- although Universal's license may not extend to hotels and they certainly won't get one now that Disney owns Marvel!

They could certainly consider using a variety of characters for which they have licenses -- Jimmy Neutron, Woody Woodpecker, etc. They have a license for Dr. Seuss -- young families likely would enjoy that.

Heck, they could have different areas with different themes reflecting Universal films -- Men in Black, Ghostbusters, Blues Brothers, etc., which would have some appeal for adults.

Or, just go for something interesting and exotic -- something that reflects the general theming in Islands of Adventure -- desert oasis, storybook fantasy, etc. If they want to take a place -- like they did with Portofino Bay Hotel, they could try Scandanavia, France, South America (Brazil, Peru, Argentina), Switzerland, Morrocco, Ireland/Scotland.

I'm just so surprised that after three beautifully designed hotels, this is the best they can do for their value resort. It seems far too much like Pop Century.

Oh well. It wouldn't be our choice, but perhaps some will like it.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #39
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post

I don't think everyone will be heading to the Wizarding World. If there is a new Transformers ride as well as a new Diagon Alley/Gringott's area at the Studios, we should see half the people going to IOA and half the people going to USF.

With the addition of the new hotel, there will be about double the rooms available than before. With the addition of early admission at USF, we'll have double the amount of early admission than we do now. It should even itself out. I agree with AlexandNessa that the offsite packages probably won't continue to exist.

I quite like the new hotel theming as does my family. I most likely won't stay there because there is no need and express is too important to us, but I can see it being very attractive.

Some sites are saying that the hotel is going in adjacent to RPR where others say it is going in the lot over from RPR. Either way, there will still be an empty lot. Perhaps a water park is going there?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #40
Rip
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandNessa View Post
My scenario would be that UO starts eliminating early entry for some of the off-site partner hotels. Now that they will havetheir own value resort onsite, they may not renew some of their current partner hotel partnerships?

I would also hope that this new value resort doesn't start offering discount express options. If it does, I hope UO would start reducing the number of paid express offered to the GP.
This. I'd be willing to bet, especially since they won't be offering unlimited express at this hotel, that they will reduce or eliminate the early entry offerings for the offsite hotels in the area. They aren't likely to put this kind of investment into something only to have offsite competition offering the same benefits.
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #41
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Call me crazy but it looks like USO's poor attempt at Pop Century and a complete rip off the CARS theme area at AoA. Motor courts? Come on...

And no unlimited Express PAss? PASS.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #42
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i know a lot of peeps are excited about a third hotel onsite.

i would have preferred a third park at UO.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #43
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
i know a lot of peeps are excited about a third hotel onsite.

i would have preferred a third park at UO.
Well....hopefully adding the new cheap hotel will get more people going to USF and that in turn will get more rides and improvements at the parks. I don't know if there was enough space for a third park.

I don't see the similarities between this resort and Pop Century.

Since Disney has a hotel themed to just about everything imaginable, I think we could probably draw a comparison no matter what theme Universal chose.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #44
si-am
DIS Veteran

Ugh, I was excited at first, but once I saw the drawings... not so much anymore. It looks like a tacky Motel 6 from the early 1970s. Like a wood-paneled, shag-carpeted basement that hasn't been updated in decades.

I just don't know that this really has enough appeal to be successful. Plus, the main entrance does look like too much of a rip-off of Disney's values.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #45
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

That looks like it could be an incredible pool area. I see a slide!
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: