Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #91
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

I love the Swedish Chef!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #92
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Just squealed out loud at the Swedish Chef! My DH LOVES him! Those costumes are going to be so cool. I can't wait to see them all done!
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #93
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disprincessesmom1012 View Post
Hi!! Following along. We are going end of sept and staying at cbr. We are also attending MNSSHP on sept 30th. Cant wait to read more of your plans!!
Hello and welcome to another CBR guest! How exciting that you're doing deluxe dining! I'd definitely enjoy doing that sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
I love the Swedish Chef!
Thanks! Hubby is very excited about it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Just squealed out loud at the Swedish Chef! My DH LOVES him! Those costumes are going to be so cool. I can't wait to see them all done!
My DH got a kick out of your comment. Thanks! I guess we really need to start working on getting the costumes together. I can't wait to see how it all turns out myself...
Old 08-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #94
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Just checking in quickly to say a few things...

First of all --- we're at 60 days! Can't believe that tomorrow we'll be in the 50s.

Secondly --- my trip to the fabric store yesterday was completely unfruitful. In terms of fabric, they definitely had what I needed, there were a few options actually that would work well. However, I got stumped when it came to picking out the dress pattern. I found a few that I liked the looks of, however when I looked at the pattern instructions, it made my head spin. I thought I'd be able to follow the instructions, but it's like reading another language! Half the time I have no idea what it's trying to say. I even found an "easy" level pattern, which didn't really look any different than the normal patterns.

So now I'm stumped. It'd be a whole lot easier if I could find a pre-made dress, but I think the chances of that are really slim (a simple style dress in the exact right solid color?). I've also been trying to search for some easy dress patterns online, but can't find as many as I thought I might be able to. I need to keep looking.

Anyway, I still have some time to figure this out, but I'm a little discouraged after that trip. Wish me more luck!!
Old 08-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #95
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Sorry the costume is sounding more complicated than you thought! I haven't sewn since HS! And I don't have a sewing machine so now its not even an option!!
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #96
silverhaze269
DIS Veteran

Yeah, fabric patterns look like some kind of strange map. I remember having to use them in junior high school, and I could probably flub my way through one now, but who knows how the end result would turn out

I'd say try and look everywhere you can think of for a dress, and see if maybe you can make the just apron? I'd look in second hand clothes shops and J.C Penny (I think that's the store that's pretty much equivalent to Winners here in Canada) for the dress. As awesome a home-made one would be, it might be easier on you to make part of it and buy the other.
Expect the Unexpected: A May/June 2011 Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2737115

October 28-November 11 2012 - Disney/POP, May 27-June 4 2011 - Disney/CSR, April 20-27 2008 - Disney/POP, Dec 18-27 2007 - Disney/POFQ, Dec 10-15 2006 - USO/HRH, May 15-20 2005 - USO/ HRH, Aug 20-27 2004 - Disney/DTD Hotels, Aug 28 - Sept 2 2003 - USO/HRH, April 14-26 2002 - WDW, USO, SW, BG/Off-site
silverhaze269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #97
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
Sorry the costume is sounding more complicated than you thought! I haven't sewn since HS! And I don't have a sewing machine so now its not even an option!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhaze269 View Post
Yeah, fabric patterns look like some kind of strange map. I remember having to use them in junior high school, and I could probably flub my way through one now, but who knows how the end result would turn out

I'd say try and look everywhere you can think of for a dress, and see if maybe you can make the just apron? I'd look in second hand clothes shops and J.C Penny (I think that's the store that's pretty much equivalent to Winners here in Canada) for the dress. As awesome a home-made one would be, it might be easier on you to make part of it and buy the other.
Thanks to you both! I really didn't know what to expect, I guess.

However, on the positive side - my mother stopped into a different fabric store a few days ago, and mentioned to me that she saw some "easy" level patterns that actually looked simple. I'm hoping to stop in soon to take a look myself. If these patterns look easier, maybe I'll still be able to give it a try.

If that fails, then yeah, I definitely will start browsing around thrift stores and things like that. I'll keep you posted!
Old 08-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #98
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Love the costume ideas! Sending lots of pixie dust that you have lots of luck with making them!
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip, 13: Halloween without mum

Up next June 2015 Changing my Life
Alysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #99
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysa View Post
Love the costume ideas! Sending lots of pixie dust that you have lots of luck with making them!
Thank you so much!!

I don't have anything significant to update at this point, except to say we're at 55 days!

I'm hoping to have a costume update soon, I just haven't found time to get to the store yet. Hopefully today or tomorrow.

I've been working on my planning document these last few days. I haven't really made any major tweaks to our schedule/plans, the only thing I just did was slightly change the time of our Narcoossee's reservation, which was at 5:55, to 5:35. That night will be our only chance at MK to see MSEP and Wishes (our other night there will be the Halloween party), so I wanted to make sure we didn't cut it too close and end up not making it back to the MK in time for the parade.

Other than that, we've still be watching TONS of Disney movies. Movies we've watched since my last movie post include:
Nightmare Before Christmas (which included a cool bonus feature on how they set up the Haunted Mansion overlay at Disneyland)
The Parent Trap (the new one with Lindsay Lohan, back when she was cute )
Peter Pan
Summer Magic (a more obscure live-action movie, but the cool thing is a lot of the music in this movie is used on Main Street)
Pocahontas
Waking Sleeping Beauty (a really fun documentary of the Disney studios in the 70s/80s)

We have a lot more coming up as well, both via Netflix and being borrowed from my dad's collection.

Hope you all are having a great week, and that your trips are getting closer and closer!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #100
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Finally, the update you all have been waiting for!

It's not much to look at yet...but last night I got the supplies for my Belle dress! This pattern looked much easier than some of the others I found, I think it's only 7 pieces total. It'll look like the dress on the left - with blue fabric for most of it, but I'm going to do the trim around the waist and at the bottom of the dress in the white fabric. I'll be adding a white half-apron over the dress as well, but I'll figure that out later. I also hope to make a blue hair bow with some of the leftover fabric.

It's pretty hard to visualize right now, but I'm really excited to see how it turns out. Now, to borrow my mom's sewing machine, and start working on it!

I'll need lots of luck and pixie dust on this one!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #101
ash-n-brensmom
DIS Veteran

Love your costume ideas!! Saw DH's pic on FB and he looks awesome! Can't wait to see your dress when it all comes together!!

ash-n-brensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #102
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Quick update - over the long weekend, hubby and I did some shopping for his Swedish Chef costume!

He actually already had the hat, and the bow tie - so we just were looking for the shirt, and the apron. We got lucky, and found both...for great deals as well! Ended up spending < $10 to put this together.

He couldn't wait to show everyone how it turned out - so here's the picture! Enjoy!

Old 09-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #103
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash-n-brensmom View Post
Love your costume ideas!! Saw DH's pic on FB and he looks awesome! Can't wait to see your dress when it all comes together!!
Thanks a lot hon! I need to get to my mom's house so I can borrow her sewing machine, and I need to wash the fabric before I start cutting it, and then I need to spend some serious time trying to figure out the instructions...but maybe I'll get to start working on the dress this weekend or early next week. Fingers crossed!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #104
disprincessesmom1012
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdka421
Quick update - over the long weekend, hubby and I did some shopping for his Swedish Chef costume!

He actually already had the hat, and the bow tie - so we just were looking for the shirt, and the apron. We got lucky, and found both...for great deals as well! Ended up spending < $10 to put this together.

He couldn't wait to show everyone how it turned out - so here's the picture! Enjoy!
Love it!!!!

Surprising the Littles, DxDP, CBR and MNSSHP!! A Late Sept/Early Oct 2012 PTR

April 2010: First Ever Trip! DD1 2 1/2yr, DD2 in the womb
disprincessesmom1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #105
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

OMG! That's amazing! I love it, have to show my DH, he'll get a great kick out of it.
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: