Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Day 2 10/24:

Wednesday will be our first park day, having spend the prior day traveling and relaxing at the Boardwalk. Generally, our first park day ends up being Magic Kingdom, because it just seems like the "right" park to start your vacation at. However, we're switching it up a little this time, and our first park is going to be....

EPCOT!

We both LOVE EPCOT; I know it's definitely Aaron's favorite park (I hate picking favorites for anything, and seriously, how are you supposed to choose between MK or EP, they are both wonderful but so different). We picked this day at EPCOT for a few different reasons:

1) Evening Extra Magic Hours at EPCOT - we're not ones to avoid the parks with EMH, we love taking advantage of them! So we'll enjoy having a few extra hours at the park this evening.

2) Food & Wine Festival - strategically, we've read that we should avoid going to the Food & Wine festival on Friday/Saturday, since those tend to be busy, so I avoided scheduling Epcot days on Fri/Sat.

We're rope drop people, so I'm sure we'll get there for rope drop. (Actually, I think I've read that traditional rope drop doesn't really exist anymore...? I'll have to research that) I'm a little concerned, with Test Track being down, that everyone (including us) will head straight to Soarin...but what can you do?!

We're planning to spend the afternoon in the World Showcase, browsing around the food booths, using our snack credits for lunch from the booths. [This will be our first time at F&W, so I don't entirely know what to expect...but this is what my husband is looking forward to most from our trip. He's such a foodie!]
Then, for dinner, we have ADRs for Rose & Crown @ 5:50. This is one we've tried before, and really loved. We got lucky last time and were able to get a seat outside for Illuminations, but we don't plan on doing that this time. I've toyed with the idea of picking a restaurant we haven't eaten at before, however on our next EPCOT day, we do have ADRs at a place we haven't tried before. So if something catches my eye, I might switch things around, but for now I'm happy with this plan.

As a final note -- one of my goals for this trip is to NOT have to visit first aid at EPCOT this trip!!! Each of our last two trips has involved me going to EPCOT's lovely first aid center. If you're interested in reading my injury story, you can find it here in my last trip report.
So yeah, needless to say, it would be quite a success to NOT have to visit first aid again!

And that's it for Day 2! Let me know if you have any good Food & Wine tips!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #17
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
Hello!!

I followed you over here from my PTR!

Wo-Hoo for booking your trip! and Flying! So much nicer than driving!!

Wanted to mention the reason you can't get a Bistro de Paris reservation is because the restaurant is closed for refurb till the end of October.
Thanks first of all for joining in with my PTR!

And thanks a bunch for the heads up on Bistro de Paris, obviously I had no idea. I just shared that info with my husband, who pointed out that would be really helpful information to have on the reservation page. I wonder why Disney doesn't provide that information, seems like it would be simple enough.
Anyway, thanks, now I don't have to keep checking to see if this opens up! And as I told my DH - now we'll just have to go here on our NEXT trip
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #18
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdka421 View Post
Thanks first of all for joining in with my PTR!

And thanks a bunch for the heads up on Bistro de Paris, obviously I had no idea. I just shared that info with my husband, who pointed out that would be really helpful information to have on the reservation page. I wonder why Disney doesn't provide that information, seems like it would be simple enough.
Anyway, thanks, now I don't have to keep checking to see if this opens up! And as I told my DH - now we'll just have to go here on our NEXT trip
Yeah... Restaurant closures can be tricky to find! I actually have an ADR there for October 22. They e-mailed me they were canceling it and switching it to Chef's de France. I told them I wasn't interested in Chef's and they replied back okay they would just cancel it... BUT it's STILL in my ADR list so I am keeping it there just in case they reopen early! They may still cancel it as we get closer but until they do I'm not touching it lol!

What Signatures do you have planned?
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #19
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yeah... Restaurant closures can be tricky to find! I actually have an ADR there for October 22. They e-mailed me they were canceling it and switching it to Chef's de France. I told them I wasn't interested in Chef's and they replied back okay they would just cancel it... BUT it's STILL in my ADR list so I am keeping it there just in case they reopen early! They may still cancel it as we get closer but until they do I'm not touching it lol!

What Signatures do you have planned?
That'd be cool if they opened early and you were still able to keep your reservation. Fingers crossed!

We have ADRs for Flying Fish, on our arrival day, plus Yachtsman Steakhouse. Both are totally new for us, and I'm so excited about both of them.

I'm holding on to a shred of hope that they might soft-open Be Our Guest while we're there, but I know that's a long shot. If they do, I think we'd definitely try that over our reservation at Liberty Tree Tavern.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #20
kdka421
DIS Veteran

DAY 3 10/25:

Day 3 is another big day for us. The biggest reason for that is --

MICKEY'S NOT SO SCARY HALLOWEEN PARTY!!

We've never done any ticketed event before. The only exposure we have to Halloween at Disney is our trip last summer, when mid-trip they put up the Halloween decorations at Magic Kingdom. So we saw the pumpkins, scarecrows, and the signs for the upcoming Halloween events, but we weren't there for the events themselves.

Here's a picture of me, hubby, and my parents, last year in front of some of the Halloween decorations:

This day is actually early extra magic hours at Magic Kingdom; so depending upon what time we leave evening magic hours at EPCOT the night before, I'm not sure if we'll plan to be there for 8am or not. My guess is we will try to be there by 8am.

So we plan on doing regular park touring for the morning. Our tentative meal plans this day are to try the Sleepy Hallow waffle sandwiches for lunch (thanks chunkymonkey for the heads up on those!), and maybe a late lunch/early dinner at Pecos Bill (love their salads) or Columbia Harbour House.

We'll probably take a mid-afternoon break to go back to the hotel and change into our costumes. (Hubby's already decided who he's dressing as, but I'm still trying to figure it out...once I do I'll write a separate post on that!) Then head back to MK at 4pm for MNSSHP!

The things I'm most excited about at MNSSHP:
-The Halloween parade
-HalloWishes
-Seeing some of the different characters
-Going on rides in the evening (the outdoor rides have a real different feel in the dark, I remember one of the first times I rode Splash at night, and it was so cool)

Things I'm not as interested in:
-trick or treating
-too much character stuff

We're not big character people in general, but I do like the idea of being able to see the Seven Dwarfs and things like that.

We haven't bought our tickets yet, but I know we'll have to do that ahead of time, since it's less than a week away from Halloween itself. However, I'm terrified that we'll be committed to a day and it will end up being poor rainy weather. If we missed out on the parade or the fireworks, I'd be SO upset. I'm sure this doesn't happen too frequently, but I know it's always a possibility. Ugh, I really really hope that doesn't happen!

Let me know if you have any tips or comments on MNSSHP, I'd really love to hear them! Thanks.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #21
kdka421
DIS Veteran

So, we possibly have an exciting twist in our plans!

I was doing some reading yesterday about the different special events that go on during the Food & Wine festival, because really, I didn't know much about them. I mostly just passed them off and assumed we wouldn't do any of the extra events since we were already doing the Halloween Party.

HOWEVER...I started reading information and reviews of the Party For the Senses, and it sounds so awesome! And of course, I knew immediately that my husband would be fascinated by it as well. Not just because he is a huge foodie, or because it features Cirque du Soleil (which we discussed seeing and also dismissed due to price), but (and I know this sounds silly, but I'm serious) also because the event takes place in the old Millenium Village. He's never seen it (I saw it in it's original state back during a family trip in 2000), and has this weird fascination with it!

But in all seriousness, the tasting sounds great, plus the entertainment (neither of us have ever seen Cirque before), this would be a really cool experience, and we both know it. The only thing really holding me back is the price tag (yikes!), but it really is a unique experience.

The only other hitch is that it would require us to move our second Epcot day from Sunday to Saturday (when we were trying to avoid Epcot on the weekends). It'd make for a busier day at the park, I assume, but we could shift the plans pretty easily. I already made an extra ADR in case we do end up switching plans around (we had dinner at Via Napoli planned for Sunday, so now I've also revered a late lunch there on Saturday since this event would be our dinner for the evening).

Anyone ever done this event in years past? I've read some glowing reviews, and also some who think it's way overpriced (well, what isn't at Disney?!), but I really do think it's something we'd enjoy. We can't book tickets for about a month, so we don't need to decide right away, so we'll sit on it and I'll let you know what we decide!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #22
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

PFTS is the #1 thing I have to get tickets for! I'm not sure which tier to aim for! I don't know that they will have $100 worth of extras for Wine View Lounge over the regular reserved seating.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #23
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
PFTS is the #1 thing I have to get tickets for! I'm not sure which tier to aim for! I don't know that they will have $100 worth of extras for Wine View Lounge over the regular reserved seating.
I'm pretty sure we'll just do regular admission, since I already feel guilty about spending the money

I don't remember if you said in your PTR, I know you've been to F&W before, but have you done this specific event before?

I got scared for a while because I saw this old review from a few years ago where they were talking about how each week had a different theme - and some of the themes were ones I knew I wouldn't really enjoy. However, I've since found out that they only did the themes that one year, and they weren't a success, so they stopped doing them. Phew, what a relief!

When I saw that there was also the Victoria & Albert's signature dinner falling during the timeframe of our trip, I got scared that DH would see that and insist on trying that as well -- but thankfully the pricetag for that one is way too obscene (like $400 pp, geez) so we both know that's not realistic.
He was a little sad to find out, however, that the Italy event called the "White Truffle Lunch" wouldn't fall during our trip He loves truffles!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #24
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Hi, Kate! Came over from the FB group... going back to read now!
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014
PixieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

We won't be there when the V&A's dinner is.. I think we leave a few days before that! However we have Chef's Table on the 26th so I imagine it will be about the same cost!

I actually have not been to F&W before! This is my first fall trip to WDW!!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #26
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieMama View Post
Hi, Kate! Came over from the FB group... going back to read now!
Hello! Thanks for joining in I've started to browse through your PTR as well, but it's taking me some time!

Quote:
We won't be there when the V&A's dinner is.. I think we leave a few days before that! However we have Chef's Table on the 26th so I imagine it will be about the same cost!

I actually have not been to F&W before! This is my first fall trip to WDW!!
Oops! I'm not sure why I got confused! But yay, another F&W first-timer! I can't wait to hear about your experience with the Chef's Table. We absolutely loved our V&A experience, and we were just in the main dining room. We did get to meet Chef Scott though, and I can only imagine it'd be super cool to chat with him the whole evening.

Bummer, I just double checked your dates to see if you're planning on doing the PFTS the same day as us...but nope, you'll be there one week earlier than us. (Hehe, do you see how I phrased that as if we're already committed to going?! It's inevitable I guess )
Old 07-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #27
chunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdka421 View Post
So, we possibly have an exciting twist in our plans!

I was doing some reading yesterday about the different special events that go on during the Food & Wine festival, because really, I didn't know much about them. I mostly just passed them off and assumed we wouldn't do any of the extra events since we were already doing the Halloween Party.

HOWEVER...I started reading information and reviews of the Party For the Senses, and it sounds so awesome! And of course, I knew immediately that my husband would be fascinated by it as well. Not just because he is a huge foodie, or because it features Cirque du Soleil (which we discussed seeing and also dismissed due to price), but (and I know this sounds silly, but I'm serious) also because the event takes place in the old Millenium Village. He's never seen it (I saw it in it's original state back during a family trip in 2000), and has this weird fascination with it!

But in all seriousness, the tasting sounds great, plus the entertainment (neither of us have ever seen Cirque before), this would be a really cool experience, and we both know it. The only thing really holding me back is the price tag (yikes!), but it really is a unique experience.

The only other hitch is that it would require us to move our second Epcot day from Sunday to Saturday (when we were trying to avoid Epcot on the weekends). It'd make for a busier day at the park, I assume, but we could shift the plans pretty easily. I already made an extra ADR in case we do end up switching plans around (we had dinner at Via Napoli planned for Sunday, so now I've also revered a late lunch there on Saturday since this event would be our dinner for the evening).

Anyone ever done this event in years past? I've read some glowing reviews, and also some who think it's way overpriced (well, what isn't at Disney?!), but I really do think it's something we'd enjoy. We can't book tickets for about a month, so we don't need to decide right away, so we'll sit on it and I'll let you know what we decide!
Yum, that event sounds amazing. I have never been (well, have never been during F+W period.) but it sounds like something I would like to do one day. Either way, I have heard that F+W on the weekends are pretty crazy, but, I think you'll still have fun!
chunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #28
silverhaze269
DIS Veteran

Also popping over from the FB group to say hi!

Sounds like your plans are coming along really well! I was looking at PFTS too, but I think it's just going to be too expensive for us, which sucks a little, but maybe we'll get some our way and we'll be able to go. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Expect the Unexpected: A May/June 2011 Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2737115

October 28-November 11 2012 - Disney/POP, May 27-June 4 2011 - Disney/CSR, April 20-27 2008 - Disney/POP, Dec 18-27 2007 - Disney/POFQ, Dec 10-15 2006 - USO/HRH, May 15-20 2005 - USO/ HRH, Aug 20-27 2004 - Disney/DTD Hotels, Aug 28 - Sept 2 2003 - USO/HRH, April 14-26 2002 - WDW, USO, SW, BG/Off-site
silverhaze269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #29
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkymonkey View Post
Yum, that event sounds amazing. I have never been (well, have never been during F+W period.) but it sounds like something I would like to do one day. Either way, I have heard that F+W on the weekends are pretty crazy, but, I think you'll still have fun!
Yeah, I'm not sure how our game plan will work out yet - however, I think that since our first Epcot day will be on Wednesday, we'll probably plan to do most of the food booths/etc on that day. Then, on Saturday, even if it's crowded hopefully we either can avoid the World Showcase for the most part, or just deal with the crowds because we already will have hit most of what we wanted to see/try. And finally, our last partial day is still a TBD day, so if we really didn't see everything we wanted, we always have the option to spend that last day back at the festival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhaze269 View Post
Also popping over from the FB group to say hi!

Sounds like your plans are coming along really well! I was looking at PFTS too, but I think it's just going to be too expensive for us, which sucks a little, but maybe we'll get some our way and we'll be able to go. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Hi there! Thanks for stopping by!
Sending you some pixie dust that maybe you'll get to go to PFTS as well! I had definitely discounted it at first, but we both agreed that we'd rather seize the opportunity and just go for it

Are you planning on doing any other of the F&W festival events?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #30
kdka421
DIS Veteran

3 months until we arrive at WDW!

Day 4:

Our day 4 plans put us at Animal Kingdom! This is yet another early extra magic hours morning (ugh - we're not early birds. This might be a tough morning, especially after MNSSHP the night before. Can we make ourselves get up early enough?!)

Obviously the biggest draw at AK is Everest, so we'll make sure to get a couple of rides of that in. Obviously the safari as well, maybe the Nemo and Lion King shows, etc.

For lunch, we typically go to our favorite, Flame Tree BBQ. However, we were trying to see if there was another counter service restaurant we could try, something new, rather than doing what we always do. The only one that sort of caught our eye was the Yak and Yeki cafe, but I've read some pretty bad reviews of it. Anyone else have a CS location they like in AK? If we need to, we won't complain too bad about sticking with Flame Tree but we were just hoping to try something new...

Animal Kingdom isn't our favorite park by any means, so it's never too frustrating to us that it typically closes around 5pm. Traditionally, we take the evening to go have a nice dinner somewhere (last trip, on our AK day was when we had our dinner at Victoria & Albert's!) This trip we're doing the same thing (not to V&A though), but when we're done at the park, we'll head over to the Yacht Club for dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse. This will be our first time there, and I've heard wonderful things about it, we're extremely excited.

That's it for Day 4...If you have any opinions on Yak & Yeti cafe, other CS restaurants, or Yachtsman...I'd love to hear them.

In other news, I bought some trading pins yesterday for our trip! We both really enjoy pin trading, I think it's a great way to interact with the cast members. Here's a picture of the pins we've collected over our past 2 trips, sorry it's a little grainy:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: