Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #31
DreamingofCastles
Earning My Ears

I am enjoying your trip report with your BFF and DH! The first time I went to Disney after a *ahem* 30 year absence, I went with my BFF! Two years later we decided to take my DH on his first trip to Disney! So much fun!!!
Old 07-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #32
MEK
DIS Veteran

WE had the Del Mar Platter in December and we took the leftovers home. Dare I say it was just as good, possibly better, as a left over.

3 adult beverages in 3 hours seems like a winner in my book. You only had to stumble to the YC, right?

I love the Tiaras. They are so pretty.

Dessert looks yummy. I can definitely see how its possible to get confused over the two Mexican restaurants.

What? You have never been to the Delaware beaches. Rehoboth is the largest beach, best boardwalk, most restaurants, ect. I recommend off season, mid week September. Perfect time to visit. If you ever visit let me know, I literally live a mile from the main north/south road that takes you to southern delaware. Pit stop!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #33
Moira222
Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofCastles View Post
I am enjoying your trip report with your BFF and DH! The first time I went to Disney after a *ahem* 30 year absence, I went with my BFF! Two years later we decided to take my DH on his first trip to Disney! So much fun!!!
Welcome!!! Oh my a 30 year absence....tooo long for sure! Going with DH & BFF was great. it helps a lot when your Dh & BFF get along really well

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
WE had the Del Mar Platter in December and we took the leftovers home. Dare I say it was just as good, possibly better, as a left over.

3 adult beverages in 3 hours seems like a winner in my book. You only had to stumble to the YC, right?

I love the Tiaras. They are so pretty.

Dessert looks yummy. I can definitely see how its possible to get confused over the two Mexican restaurants.

What? You have never been to the Delaware beaches. Rehoboth is the largest beach, best boardwalk, most restaurants, ect. I recommend off season, mid week September. Perfect time to visit. If you ever visit let me know, I literally live a mile from the main north/south road that takes you to southern delaware. Pit stop!
The Del Mar was awesome, I would absolutely order that again.

I really think that taking a Zyrtec sometime between drink 2 and drink 3 was the end of me. I have learned that when I am doing LOTS of action rides, Zyrtec really helps with the motion sickness, and doesnot leave me as drowsy as other motion sickness pills -- but it does leave me drowsy. I think by Wednesday or Thursday I just decided to risk the motion sickness because the drowsy feeling was really putting a downer on me, literally and figuratively! (for sure it was NOT the drinking)

Are there still things open post-Labor day? I would love to head to DE for a day or an overnight, and a big plus for us is that DE beaches are reportedly more dog friendly as well. Thor is absolutely hysterical when he tries to bite the waves crashing!

and a DE Dis meet would be so much fun!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #34
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Okay, i could have sworn that i stopped in last week and made a comment that i would have to come back to catch up. and then i went on a bit about nook/ kindle. wow, either i'm nuts (don't respond to that!) or i responded to you on some other TR... i'm going to have to check that out in a minute.

First of all, i totally understand the Nook addiction. I got a kindle fire for Christmas. My reading had been slacking in the post college/ kids years- and boy has it picked up lately. I'm not sure about Nook, but kindle has quite a few free book sites. The kids fight over it too. Maya is addicted to those fact books and there are plenty.

I love your room at YC! its so pretty- very classic looking. i think its so awesome that you got to go with your BFF adn that Katie was a good sport about staying home.

Happy Birthday Katie- well, late now. i like your idea of the stripped down version of the birthday party. I plan on switching to that at 8 or 9 as well.

What was the kids dance party thing at DTD?

Your actual to planned was pretty good for day one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidian View Post
On a side note, glad you're enjoying your Nook! I'd love to hear what books you have loaded onto it. I bought a Nook Color about a year ago, but it was horrid. I think mine was defective, as it took forever to load anything and to turn pages. It was awful, and I took it back within 24 hours of purchase. What few digital books I have, I read through the Kindle app on my phone or iPad. But lately, I've been spending more time enjoying books from the library than online. (So I could use some good recommendations!) Anyway, anxious to hear about how awesome your trip was and thanks for the heads up on the TR!
Lidian, i was not sold on digital books until i had a kindle- the fact that it is book size, not too small for my eyes, not too heavy to hold with one hand. (I'm not pushing nook vs kindle- its just what i know) Also, i borrow kindle books from my library. i can get up to three at a time, if there is something i want to read and they don't have it i can request it and sometimes they purchase it. its a really simple download requiring nothing but wi-fi. i would have never picked an e-reader if it wasn't for library books and all the free books that are offered.

May 2011 CBR TR. Oct 2012 POR PTR . May 2011 PTR. Oct/Nov 09 TR

Contemporary 1986 Contemporary 1988 Polynesian 1989 Disneyland 1998 Disneyland 2008 Saratoga Springs 2009 Caribbean Beach 2011Port Orleans Riverside Princess Room 2012 Caribbean Beach Pirate Room 2013 Disneyland 2014 WDW/Cruise 2015
Old 07-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #35
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Mary Ellen, please forgive me...I'm a few updates behind.

Katie looks like she had a great birthday.

Love your stroll through World Showcase before your dinner ADR. Good girl...first order of business is always a Grand Mariner Slushie.

Great photos and fun ones too.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #36
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira222 View Post
We were using Military passes, so stopped at the guest services ticket window to have our tickets authorized an in we went! [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
Outside of Morocco was another slushie stand and Joe and I were game for a new flavor. hey, why not, right? Joe ordered the Sultan’s ……. and I ordered the habibi daiquiri. Mine was a bit too sweet for me, but still yummy. Joe’s was frozen coconut yumminess. I would order that one next time!
Those passes are so cute! I'm going to have to remember about the frozen coconut yumminess, sounds fabulous!

If my hips actually moved...belly dancing would be a great workout. What a fun, perfect, ADULT night!

3 drinks and zyrtec and I'd be out too! I really love the food at La Hacienda, I haven't actually eaten at the main one but how funny is that. La Hacienda is a lovely spot for Illuminations.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #37
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuzz52 View Post
Okay, i could have sworn that i stopped in last week and made a comment that i would have to come back to catch up. and then i went on a bit about nook/ kindle. wow, either i'm nuts (don't respond to that!) or i responded to you on some other TR... i'm going to have to check that out in a minute.

Quote:

First of all, i totally understand the Nook addiction. I got a kindle fire for Christmas. My reading had been slacking in the post college/ kids years- and boy has it picked up lately. I'm not sure about Nook, but kindle has quite a few free book sites. The kids fight over it too. Maya is addicted to those fact books and there are plenty.
I told Joe that our messy house is completely his fault. because he gave me a nook and I am true book addict so I would much rather read than fold laundry, vacuum, sweep, dust..etc etc etc etc
Quote:

I love your room at YC! its so pretty- very classic looking. i think its so awesome that you got to go with your BFF adn that Katie was a good sport about staying home.
This trip helped a lot too with managing some behavior issues. We now mark our calendar with X's and O's. Provided she has more O's than X's by the end of this year, and continues to do so, we will all go in 2013 AND she will get to pick where we go for all but two days. so taking a trip without her showed that we are not kidding, we really will go on vacation, and to Disney, with out her if the attitude doesn't improve. I am happy to say that after the first month or so, we have had far more O's than X's
Quote:

Happy Birthday Katie- well, late now. i like your idea of the stripped down version of the birthday party. I plan on switching to that at 8 or 9 as well.

What was the kids dance party thing at DTD?

Your actual to planned was pretty good for day one!

The birthday thing was largely financial - while she has not said it, she has missed having the big backyard bash. I"m sure next year, double digits! , we will all be in the back yard again!

Yes, the dance party was at DTD - and it really was fun to watch. While I missed my girl, my feet were pretty happy that I could just sit and watch other kids and mom's (and some dads too!) dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Mary Ellen, please forgive me...I'm a few updates behind.

Katie looks like she had a great birthday.

Love your stroll through World Showcase before your dinner ADR. Good girl...first order of business is always a Grand Mariner Slushie.

Great photos and fun ones too.
Don't even apologize Kathy - I am sooo far behind on your PTR..and many others. My DIS time has been cut, and my laptop is practically an antique so its soooooo slow that where I used to be able to read 4-5 TR updates a night, now I am lucky if I can get through one.

LOVE LOVE that slushie. Its now on my "MUST DO" list forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Those passes are so cute! I'm going to have to remember about the frozen coconut yumminess, sounds fabulous!
Joe's was really really good. I will be looking for that next trip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post

If my hips actually moved...belly dancing would be a great workout. What a fun, perfect, ADULT night!

3 drinks and zyrtec and I'd be out too! I really love the food at La Hacienda, I haven't actually eaten at the main one but how funny is that. La Hacienda is a lovely spot for Illuminations.
My hips move, its my knees that say OH NOOOOOOO

yeah, that combo was probably not my best choice. and it took me a few days to figure out that Zyrtec was not helping. Live and learn, right?

I promise another installment is coming today or tomorrow!....
Old 07-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #38
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

Love your tiara picture!: I bet Katie was happy when you brought hers home!

The Del Mar platter looks wonderful! What a great idea to split that, so you still have room for dessert!

How fun to do CL at the resort! Yumm, those chips looked so good! I think if I had been tired, I would have plopped myself down and been too lazy to go anywhere else! Kudos for getting so much done!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #39
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortStuff View Post
Love your tiara picture!: I bet Katie was happy when you brought hers home!

The Del Mar platter looks wonderful! What a great idea to split that, so you still have room for dessert!

How fun to do CL at the resort! Yumm, those chips looked so good! I think if I had been tired, I would have plopped myself down and been too lazy to go anywhere else! Kudos for getting so much done!
Katie was THRILLED that we brought home a tiara for her. She wore it for a few days everywhere, and now it is kept with its special cleaning cloth in a special box.

The Del Mar was soo yummy we would totally get that again -- but splitting it was not our "idea" -- on the menu it says that it is a dish for two, so it used two dinner credits. but worth every bite and was filling for both of us (and we love seafood).

The chips were yummy, though I can only eat a few chips or I have to chew on an equal number of tums
Old 08-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #40
Moira222

Tuesday morning Joe and I woke up extra early – we had plans!
Joe got up first & went for a run (he is so dedicated) so I guess he got up about 6. I got up just a little later – maybe 6:30 so that I could be done in the bathroom before he got back. He got back from his run as I was finishing up & we got dressed quietly and ready to go. Joe wore pants & I wore capris & hiking boots ( I have seriously bad feet so do a lot of shoe changes!) and we threw a change of clothes for Joe & a change of shoes for me into a bag & we were off!

Where were we off to so early? The Animal Kingdom! We had reservations to do the Wild Africa Trek at 8 a.m. We drove so that we didn’t have to mess around with busses at that hour. (have to say we really enjoyed having a car this trip!)

We quickly found ourselves seeing the entrance.

YAY!! Our tour guide and group were waiting near the entrance, so after we checked in, we headed back toward the Kilimanjaro Safari. No photos of the walk in because we were moving! What a shame, I would have loved to slowly take in the tree & the exhibits leading up to it before the heat & the crowds hit but we had a tour to do!

We met our tour guides, put our loose items in lockers and got “harnessed up” -- Staff weigh you (in secret) and then you are given a vest with a safety harness based on your weight. It’s a bit complicated so they actually have you just stand still and they hook it all up. It’s a completely UNFLATTERING look but at least my harness was not overly uncomfortable. Joe’s harness, on the other hand, while not terribly comfortable for him (maybe because he’s so tall), did provide a great view for me --- it really wrapped around his butt. (sorry, but its true!!!)

Each person was given a headset so we could hear the guides even if they were in way up front (which is important for a slow walker like me!) and a lovely souvenir water bottles which we filled a few times during our hike. After a few photos, some basic directions, a glass of AWESOME jungle juice, we did a test rope bridge to be sure we would have no problem navigating the main bridge near the crocodile area.

Finally, we were off on our trek!

First stop was to visit a hippo.

This guy, Biko (I remember the name only because I love that song!) was effectively a teenager – and, like human teenage boys, he needed to be kept separate from the adult males because they tend to start trouble getting a bit uppity and in your face to the adults. Imagine that!! We learned quite a bit about hippos while the caretaker fed him heads of umm lettuce or cabbage. Lettuce I think. Joe got to throw some in. It was fun to watch a duck hang around & try to get lucky with a snack, too.

We moved on through the trees to our next destination. As we walked, our tour guides told us about a lot of the efforts that Disney has made in Africa toward preservation and conservation of wild life. I think that a lot of folks forget that this is an important aspect to the Animal Kingdom park and I loved hearing about the activities that have helped prevent poaching, and have helped natives live along with the wild animals without endangering each other.

Before we knew it, we were at the rope bridge.

Now if you followed my PTR, you may remember that Joe is NOT a fan of heights, and I was surprised when he suggested this tour because I knew about the rope bridge. He watched quite a few videos of the tour in advance to be comfortable with the idea of walking 30+ feet up and being able to see between the boards.

The safety harnesses really do put your mind at ease if you have any fear at all of falling. I have to say, because I didn’t have Katie with us, I had no fear of falling. I have found since I have become a parent that things that never made me fear for my own safety now have me visualizing all sorts of horrific tragedies involving my girl. I have quite a different perspective of sky rides, roller coasters, and steep ledges when Katie is with me.

We waited our turns, and actually went last amongst our group, which was nice for me because I didn’t feel like I was holding any one up. I held our Kodak PlaySport camera in my hand as I crossed the bridge (talk about an earthquake video!!) and stopped to look down a little. The bridge had a few wide steps, and of course, it wobbles when you walk across, but it was a really fun experience. And Joe did just fine!

At the end of the bridge, we were rewarded with a great view of the African Crocodiles. They had been fed a few days earlier, and weren’t hungry, so there was no point in pushing Joe in, even though he had been telling people for months that I was going to do that.

The crocs are magnificent creatures, and truly wild even though they are in a park. You could see some wounds old and new from scuffles amongst each other. The wounds are always taken care of by animal care takers but it’s not like you can put a band-aid on a crocodile!! We noticed that no ducks were hanging out by the crocs and one of our tour-mates asked. Yes, the answer is, occasionally a bird is foolish enough to visit the crocs, and the only evidence of that visit is a few feathers scattered around the area. Most birds are smart enough to stay away!!

Old 08-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #41
Moira222

Wild Africa Trek part two

We spent some time watching the crocs and refilled our water bottles, then walked a bit to our private touring truck. A truck sort of like what is used in hay-rides now, it had bench seats around the inside perimeter and was covered, so no blazing hot sun. There were binoculars stored under the seats so we could get closer looks of animals out on the savannah.

The giraffes were great – we were pretty close (oh, and if you were on the safari ride vehicle that we stopped alongside of, well sorry if we blocked your view). Such beautiful animals! I will just post photos of the animals we saw during our savannah ride.

We rode to our outdoor “camp” which was a very pretty gazebo in the middle of the savannah.

There we could wash our hands and enjoy a special African themed snack while we took in the animals on the savannah.

I could have spent so much more time there just watching the animals walk around. As the first tour of the day, we had a breakfast themed snack. It consisted of berry yogurt topped with trail mix, fresh cheeses, fruits, smoked beef, a little wrap with salmon and something else (I forget! Maybe cream cheese?) fig cakes, cucumber salad, and fresh pita. And an edible orchid! To drink we had jungle juice. Man that stuff is great!!!

After a little while, we headed back to our truck and moved on to the plains of Africa. Here we caught just a glimpse of the lion & lioness, cheetah, warthogs and baby warthogs along with other animals whose names I don’t remember.

Before we knew it, three hours had passed and we were arriving back at the boarding area of Kilimanjaro Safari, where we ended our trek. We headed back to get unharnessed and retrieve our belongings. We also got to vote using rocks on which animals our donations should go to. (A portion of your trek fee is donated to animal conservation) After voting, I headed back to our locker to get our stuff & Joe told me that the little girl on our tour (she was a cutie and just made the height and weight cut off!) moved everybody’s pebbles to lions except ours. She was getting ready to move them and saw Joe watching her so she stopped. Just a funny little side story.

We took another group picture and that was it! This was an awesome trip and well worth the money. Even the kids on the trek were great, participated and seemed to have a good time. If you have it in your budget, try it!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #42
MEK
DIS Veteran

Great update! So glad you posted!

Looks like you both really enjoyed the trek. Wasn't it great? Our snack was the same and it was so yummy. It was actually a lot of food.

You got some great pictures.

Too funny about the little girl moving everyone's rocks to the lions. I voted for the lions, but that lost on my trek.

And - BTW - a Delaware meet sounds great. I am actually heading to the beach tomorrow for a week. I will take lots of pics.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 08-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #44
Moira222

ME...i was sure i posted a reply. Sorry! The trekwas great and the little girl was.sooo good the whole time, and so cute, we just had to laugh at her switch.

C ..this was our first Disney tour but not our last. We really enjohednit. We love seeing the behind the scenes shows , and had seen a few things on the safari that were 'revealed' in one of them while on the trek. It was really enjoyable!!
Old 08-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #45
KatMark
DIS Veteran

MaryEllen, what a fun update. I really want to surprise Mark with this on our 30th anniversary trip next year...I really think he would enjoy it immensely. Thank you for sharing this with us...loved the update.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: