Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #91
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

It's so hard when a loved one is sick. The fact that the DR was condescending just ticks me off. Poor Robert, he doesn't need the added stress of that because I know he is worried about his mom already. Maybe he was just having a bad day. I think it is a good idea to take notes and write things down. I know that if I have the chance to go back read what was said I sometimes understand it better because I have had a chance to calm down.

That's great that she is trying to converse with the care manager and nurses in that manner. The old dog has a new trick or two still.

I think the the walkers with the seats are a great idea. There isn't always a place to grab a seat, so she can bring one with her.

How is E handling grandma being sick? E is a pretty sharp kid so I know he has to be paying attention.

Vent away.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #92
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Home again home again! She was released today, which is GOOD because she was aging rapidly the longer she was there. Hospital delirium was setting in (a real thing, according to today's nurse), and she was getting a tremor that made her seem much older than before.

She is now on something like 9 pills, though 1 will go away in 3 days and another will likely be dumped soon. I bought her a one-week pill holder, but I have to figure out a good way to help her remember what pills are taken when.

In the last 2.5 days the staff there became much more respectful and kind to us. I think it's because they had a chance to really read the charts and reports. The people who knew her from her Friday's discharge KNEW what was going on, so she was taken very seriously when she came back. Then she was put on a different floor, with people not as familiar with her, and I think they thought we were exaggerating on the first daytime she was there with them. But by the next day it was all different. They knew how odd her situation was, and understood what she, and we (we aren't as important, but we aren't irrelevant, either), had been through.

I've had so many really good convos with the medicos over the last couple days that it has brought them up in my esteem. I've had some lousy, stupid, bottom of the class MDs and nurses in my time, so this was very healing for me (though again, I'm not as important in this situation as she is). One doctor, upon hearing of my Exercise Science degree, Chiropractic background, and interest in nutrition, said "I would be very interested to hear your opinion on this new 'Primal' diet that's popular now". He wants MY opinion? Wow. That might not come through as big and important as it was in person, but trust me, it was a pretty neat moment!

So she's home. Sleeping, without anyone taking her blood pressure 5 times a night. Which must be a relief!

And now I have to figure out a good, simple, pirate costume for E on the Halloween Party day, and figure out something for us, too. (hoping, of course, nothing happens on the MIL-front) Robert and Eamon are signed up for the Pirates League, but now R doesn't want it, so I'll do it instead. The problem is that we're signed up at 2, and the party doesn't get even close to started until 4, so...I really have to call to see if there are later appts. We'd love to sleep in, then have Goofy's Kitchen for a late breakfast that day, then swim a bit, before heading over to the appointments and then the party.

And let's not even think about wondering if she'll be joining us on the cruise. My mind boggles and gets really sad to think about it!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #93
kaoden39
Hugs

I am glad to hear that your MIL is out of the hospital. It does age you and you begin to feel helpless in there. I know it well.

One thing my mom does to help her self to remember which pill to take when is to have different color pill boxes for her pills. She takes pills twice a day so she has a white pill box for morning and a blue one for her night pills. My mom made a list of her pills and followed the list ro put the pills in until she memorized it.

Remember that thrift stores are your friend when shopping for costumes.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:20 AM   #94
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Thanks for continuing to read, Michele. You're the best.

Tomorrow is her first Home Health visit where they'll check her "INR" level. That's what they use to see if the coumadin/warfarin is at the correct level. Sigh. We'll be up there for that, of course, and on Tuesday I'll take her to her GP visit so he can take that over and get her into the anticoagulation clinic. Man oh man has her life changed... Poor chica.

Assuming things go fine at that visit and we get some homeschool in, tomorrow afternoon I'll have a chance to work on finishing up this report. Pinky swear!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #95
kaoden39
Hugs

I'm always around.

Your life has changed too, for better or worse.

I'll still be here!!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #96
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

You know what, Michele, you're totally right. Life has changed for all of us.

Side thought: despite the fact that I miss my mom terribly, I've often felt that I, in a tiny way, got lucky because I never had to watch her age (she was only 55). I realized last night while trying to sleep (and having horrifyingly frightening dreams about being in a shared hospital room with a psychotic person) that MIL was 62 when I met her. Not old at all. And now she's 74 and everything is so different. I tend to live life one day at a time (except for the vacation planning stuff), and it just hadn't hit me that everyone is aging and changing. That last full day MIL was in the hospital, when I saw that head/neck tremor for the first time...I knew she had to get out of there. I don't like the shaking thing. Not one little bit.

E and I are finishing up HP3 aka Azkaban, so while we do that I'll post some pix. Not much story to go with them, most likely, but pictures are fun all the same. Next post!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #97
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

If you see this sign, feel free to believe it, but check in every so often. We went back around 11am and the line was LONG; it had been open for awhile. VERY frustrating. I wish we had checked!!!!!

I'd never noticed this until E did. There's a little peephole overlooking the 3D glasses at TSMM.

Your basic Buzz Blaster.

Except for the dial.

It goes to 11.

Birdie.

Look what I caught!

RSR.

E was in the front with 2 other kids. I was in the back with their moms.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #98
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Now that he has taken rock wall classes, he kinda freaked out the attendant at the end. He was just up high. But I wasn't in a position to take that picture.

He loves the Wilderness Explorer ceremony. I have a lot of pictures with a LOT of other kids facing the camera, and I'm not comfy posting other kids with their faces that clear. Alas.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #99
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Yep, he ate that whole thing.

I love this list.

Eamon and I noticed the fullness of the stroller parking signs one day.

We also noticed that the PP flying ships have cannons.

Freckles!

I'm getting better at not feeling sick on Dumbo. It really does give you a great view!

Loved looking at all the little things in the Star Tours ride, but only got this picture.

Eventually we did have to go, and for some reason this was the last picture I took.

E and I had that last half day in the parks together, after Robert took his company-arranged flight back home. Since he gets a bunch of free checked bags, though, and we don't, he took our big bag. That was rough for him, but lots easier for us!

And here we are, on the brink of our next trip. With the cruise rearing its ugly head so relatively soon after that (February). Way too soon, given MIL's health stuff. For some reason, the thought of her not going makes me super-sad, but the thought of her going scares the pants offa me! But on the other other hand, I don't want her life to consist of just sitting at home all the time...I want her to LIVE life! Other other other hand...I don't want her to be helicoptered off the ship to a hospital in the Bahamas or die or anything like that, while on the cruise.

It's nothing we'll bring up with her right now...that's what we paid the big bucks for the cruise insurance for, you know? But Robert and I talk about it.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #100
kaoden39
Hugs

My dad died at the age of 66, so he really wasn't very old. On the otherhand my grandpa was almost 99 when he died. Watching my grandpa age was hard for me because he will always be the man that I would sit in the kitchen with him while he cooked talking his ear off. My mom is 75 and I have seen her age a lot over the last few years. It's hard to watch our loved ones age. I am not sure if it is because they are not who they once were or if it is because it proves that we are aging. I am sorry you lost your mom so early.

Wow E is getting that teenage appetite! Fun!

I wondered about taking your MIL on the cruise. I think that it might be good for her, but I understand your concern.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #101
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

My cousin actually mentioned the flight as being a really big concern, and that's a valid comment she made.

Worse, because of the timing of the flights and layovers, the number of tickets available for each flight, and the Miles we used, she is booked on a flight just with Robert, while E&I are on our own flight. So if something happened, it would be with him and him only. And we wouldn't even know until we were on the ground.

Damzanita. (just say it...it's been in my head for hours now as a weird swear term)

Scary stuff!

Sorry about your dad. And your grandpa!

Old 09-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #102
kaoden39
Hugs

Molly, I hadn't thought about the flight. What would be ideal would be taking off on a ship in your area unfortunately they don't go where you want to go.

I always make new words up and use them. Scotty laughes because I come up with the oddest combinations of words.

Thank you. My dad had congestive heart failure so his death was not a surprise and I was prepared. I know that sounds odd but that was a great comfort. I was able to make all the arrangements because my mom and sister couldn't. My grandpa was a different circumstance. Even thought he was 98 I wasn't prepared.

Just playing on my phone!!

Last edited by kaoden39; 09-17-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #103
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I'm starting to think that we should pull out of the Disney/Bahamas cruise, and make firm, definite plans for a Pacific Coastal or an Alaska cruise. That way we are always really close to the US or Canada and more *known* healthcare (I don't distrust the hospitals in other countries, I just don't KNOW about them). And there's no flight that has to happen.

So she's still getting the cruise, but without the huge stress of everything else.

I'm finished with the "blink/miss it" report, and I'm thinking I should do this Sherry style, and continue on (with a Table of Contents) to the one mentioned in my ticker, LOL.

No matter what, though, it'll be later, b/c it's time for gymnastics!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #104
kaoden39
Hugs

There are some beautiful sights to see. Disney has a cruise that goes down the Pacific coastline from Vancouver to LA. You could do a Disney Cruise/Disneyland trip instead.

Have fun at gymnastics.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #105
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I noticed that micechat had a big group going on one this month. I was so jealous that I couldn't go on it, but obviously now it's best that we hadn't booked that.

This whole thing also made me wish I'd booked a QUICK (and cheap!) cruise on Holland this May going from Vancouver to Seattle. Seemed like fun, and so so so cheap, but I didn't want to "waste" the money since we had the Feb plans.

I'm not sad for me here, but for my MIL...and I cannot even tell you how weird that feels! I'm sure Shannon, should she ever come back, would understand that feeling! I really shocked myself with my tears while calling 911 that day (shocked poor Eamon, too...but then he was told to listen to my MP3 player, LOUD, and it happened to be on Lily Allen's music, which isn't so much appropriate for a kid! and so the shocks continued for him, oh dear).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: