Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #16
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Exactly.

It's like someone said "ooh, let's give the airport run a coach bus, it'll be so great!" without thinking about it, or actually riding on it with luggage. It's FINE that there's no room for the bags; but the coach bus makes you THINK there is room, so it's more annoying to find out there isn't room. And then the way the seats are done gives you even less room.

Robert reminded me that the Helping Fairy was already on a work trip, and that I had to become the Fairy. And then he booked our shuttle and figured out what time were leaving and whatnot. So that's good.

Eamon chooses the funniest little things to bring on trips. I should take a picture of his little pile of stuff.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #17
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

So our flight leaves around 11am on Sat. That's awesome, especially b/c we're blocked on Sat anyway, so the less time standing at the gates saying "open open open" the better.

But we go up, then down and change planes in Portland. Wait an hour, go back up, go back down in San Francisco. Wait 4 hours, go back up, land at John Wayne. 9+ hours of travel to get to SNA. Eh, it'll be an adventure. Maybe E and I will find the Yoga room at SFO.

The things you do for a low-miles-"cost" flight!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #18
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

It sounds like the travel part is going to be an adventure. SFO is a crazy airport. I haven't been there for years. If we fly it is out of Sacramento. Much smaller and less confusing.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #19
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

I was just looking for DLR trip reports to read for inspiration for our upcoming trip, and look who I found! How fun!

You guys will have fun on your layover, I'm sure. When we were going to WDW in December our flight was delayed 6 hours (supposed to leave at 4:30pm, left at 10:30pm) and we managed to enjoy ourselves once I got past the stage (wine helped). The kids actually just brought it up the other day, and said it was really fun.

Can't wait to hear about your trip!

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Ooh, hadn't thought about a drinkie-poo!

OK that sounded way dorkier than it did in my head. Ignore that I just said that.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #21
kaoden39
Hugs

That puts me in mind of drinking a "martuni" as my dad jokingly called them.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #22
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

And we're back!

Just uploaded some pictures.

Eamon and I had a long flight adventure with 3 flights (the middle one was canceled and replaced with a flight almost 2 hours later, but that worked out nicely with just over 2 hours as a layover in two places) and were rather exhausted when we got in. Karmel Shuttle picked us up quickly and got us to BWPPI safely.

Our room was alllll the way towards the back. I mean, allll the way.

We awoke as early as possible the next morning, and faced this daunting walk!

On the other hand, once we were out of the hotel and onto the sidewalk, we didn't have far to go.

8 minutes from that first shot to a picture taken in the esplanade (bag check was annoyingly long, especially since we didn't have bags).

We had to see DCA! Strangely, we must have taken a wrong turn, as DCA has morphed into a less exotic Port of Entry at Islands of Adventure in Universal Orlando. Odd.

OK I get that it's not a copy. But WOW does it look similar. Good for them! Might as well copy from a great looking place.

Oh, thank goodness, we are in DCA afterall.

Here is E, really figuring out that it is VERY different.

This is what we faced at 8:01 on a Sunday.

Oh, le sigh. Why didn't I know about this trip back when I randomly picked a date for the APEEs? We won't be able to get back for the days I picked...

Oh well. In we went!

Old 07-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #23
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

his outfit

Just want to mention E's clothing.

The only "say" I had in that outfit was when I begged him to change his shirt to something "not red" and he thought it was absolutely hilarious that he was blinding me with his redness, and insisted that he wanted to wear it. I *could* have forced the issue, but I'm sure you can understand that one day in a wild outfit really isn't worth it, LOL.

He did try to wear it the following week, but by then the Dark Knight tragedy had happened, and I felt that wearing a Batman *villain* shirt just wasn't what I wanted him in. So I did insist that he change shirts then.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #24
kaoden39
Hugs

Gosh Molly, E has gotten so tall. He's quite a young man now. I was thinking about you earlier when I put on some Arnica.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #25
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

He is, indeed, rather tall. And when we were at our chiro appt the other day I was looking at his arm and hand, and they are morphing from baby-guy to getting-grown-guy. Sniffle. He's also reminding me more of my brothers (I have 3 in total) when they were around 10. Potty humor, total silliness that Won't Stop, etc etc. (Michele, I'm sure you know this stage) Basically he's approaching the Jim Carrey stage in boy-to-man-hood.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #26
kaoden39
Hugs

Molly, I know it well. Loren is still going through it. He just turned 16 the other day and he still has the silly bathroom humor. I don't mind, I am not in a great hurry for him to grow up.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #27
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Oh man I'm in it for a long time, aren't I?

Robert's friends have a phrase, based on his teens and 20s: there's no one wronger than Rob. And it's now being updated for Eamon, because he IS "wronger".

Old 07-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #28
kaoden39
Hugs

Oh that is funny! Poor Loren is the only boy with two sisters so he only gets away with it is when he has male support. The girls run his life. He is my only non adult child now.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #29
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Your Buena Vista Street pictures are making me eager to get back there! I didn't spend nearly as much time on BVS as I would have preferred in June, but I loved it and want to hurry back!

It's funny - I have read at least one other DCA comparison to Port of Entry/IoA, although I cannot recall where I saw the other observation. When you first looked at my pictures from DCA in June - or anyone else's photos of the "reimagined" DCA - did you think it was reminiscent of PoE/IoA at that point, or was it something that hit you when you actually stepped into the park and saw it in person?

You said you used Karmel Shuttle. How is their service these days? I have used them in the distant past for Catalina-oriented trips (rides to the boat terminal, package deals that included the hotel, boat fare and the shuttle ride, etc.), and they used to be semi-reasonably priced but their rates started to soar for the specific kind of service I needed - which is not airport-related service. They used to specialize in shuttling Catalina visitors around. Is their basic airport pick-up service pretty good?

I agree with Michele about E - it's so amazing how fast kids grow! He's not a little child anymore! We were all following along with you on previous trip reports - even just a mere couple of years ago - when E was seemingly half the size that he is now!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #30
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The similarity is something that hit me when I walked in. It's not something I noticed in pictures. And I don't find it to be a negative, in case it came across as that. After all, I love Port of Entry. And it might just be the "stucco" and the details that's doing it.

I've now had 3 experiences with Karmel, and 2 of them have been really good. The other wasn't *bad*, it was just...like the driver was pretending we didn't exist. We got to the airport safely and on time (at least E and I did...the passengers who were flying to Canada at 4:30 and were dropped off at 3+ might not have felt quite the same!), but we just felt like an afterthought. He didn't verify who we were or where we were going, so for part of the trip I was fighting with my phone to get bing/google maps to come up so i could use the GPS to see where we were and if we were heading to LAX, and once we hit the freeway he messed with his ipod to bring up "Bob Marley Radio" and blasted reggae.

The other two experiences were so efficient and extra-nice that the inattention almost stung.

The rates from SNA and to LAX have been totally within our budget, and since Karmel doesn't "troll" the airport for non-booked fares, it has been faster getting from the airport than when I've taken SS (or Grayline DRE).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: