Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #196
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

October 1.

We had ordered coffee to be delivered inside a time period of 6:30-7, I believe. It was delivered at 6. Dragging us out of sleep 25 minutes too early. UGH.

It was still good, though. Headed over to DCA, and Robert convinced me to go out the back/side of our tower and to go through the Grand, even though we were going to enter via the main gates. Seemed to work OK!

I don't know why, but I always take pictures of this. Each time it surprises me how easy it is to find this hallway.

E allowed me to style his hair today. Yay!

The line to the right of our line had very obvious red lights around the sign. But people just kept lining up there. By the time it got a bit far back, of course, people just thought it was the right line. Never looking UP. On this day there was no one getting in ahead of time, which was annoying, and then our line was ridiculously slow, which was MORE annoying, and then people who had, all on their own, lined up at a RED light entrance, decided that they had the right to be in front of us. People who had gotten into line AFTER us. It really peeved me.

So look for the GREEN lights!

After RSR's SR line once or twice, Robert got to ride Luigi's.

And then we tackled the padding-free Mater.

No padding:

Eamon sitting WAY forward to as to take no chances.

When we left Carsland, we saw the "backside" of rope drop coming down the street. A bazillion people slowly walking behind a rope carried by the CMs. It was weird to see, that's for sure.

Breakfast at the wharf. A bacon-less boule, and evil-ness on a croissant. This order was not a problem. Today.

From there we did various things, but no TSMM. That ride was not ridden on this trip, because there were so many other things pulling us away, and/or it was just too hot to think about being in the ride.

There was a request to play some games in order to win a prize, so we conferred, figured out what Eamon did not yet have, figured out what he didn't have BUT could NOT fit in our luggage, and went for the Dumbo. Our strategy was to play the "fire ladder" game where you shoot water into a target and move the person up the ladder. This could only be played by R&E, because the same person had to win twice, and we couldn't chance someone else winning, LOL. So we waited until there was no one around, did two quick games, Eamon won both times (the second time he won righteously), and when she went to give him the second little mouse from Dumbo she asked if he wanted to trade up (trade two little prizes for one medium at that game...it's all spelled out on the sign for each game) and he did. And so he got a Dumbo stuffie.

Realized he'd left his sunglasses at home (he thought he was putting them into the "staging area" for packing, but I don't know why he thought that spot was being used) so E got yet another pair of sunglasses and I got yet another tiny park bag (shoulder bag or even waist pack with California Adventure ALL over it).

About this time we deflated! We went on Ariel's on the way out, but that's what we did...went out. Maybe we swam. Probably we rested. Then later we went back to Trader Joes for more water, and I don't have records of what we had for dinner.

This time Dumbo got the primo sleeping position in E's arms. A dream is a wish your heart makes......

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #197
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Showed that picture to Eamon (of the bread-bowl-of-eggs) and he moaned about how I was torturing him. Showed it to Robert via gchat, and he did this: because we only got a week of peace before this happened with his mom again.

And I should mention that Eamon didn't really like that song when sung, the dream-is-a-wish one, because he has some SCARY dreams sometimes, and doesn't mean to wish them!

Good night for now. I'm wiped out.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #198
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

More pictures...

While shopping for the sunglasses etc, I found these fun boxes of candy. Disney has made some extremely recent kid's menu changes in the interest of better "options" for children. Those changes were not good for E. But if they are making changes, I wish they would make their candy less crud-filled. None of these boxes contained anything that my family could eat; either gelatin, colors, or corn syrup based sweeteners. Bummer. But cute boxes.

This is how we found E's stuffed buddies when we got back. Notice Scabbers up there. Actually Eamon calls him Max, because how can you explain him (Eamon as Ron) having Scabbers still?

You can see the "fireworks" even in the daytime.

We went outside for some reason that evening, as I caught this one semi-decent (compared to the others I took) picture of the little waterfall area outside Frontier tower.

Oh, yes, we went to get the little trivia challenge papers. One was a photo challenge, and the other was trivia about Small World.

We wandered around the hotel and giftshop, me and the kidlet. Robert was either needing to work, or he wasn't feeling terrific by then.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #199
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

October 2. Late start.

Just me and E today. Robert wasn't feeling well. Breakfast of champions (well, we'd had snacks at the room much earlier) at the Jolly Holiday. They have a terrific binder consisting of lists of ingredients (not women, LOL). And at least for this item, instead of one big long list, they copied the ingredient info bits (literally put it in a copier) for each part of the cookie. Helpful. And they brought it out very quickly and happily! Therefore, we knew that this was OK.

So...it was HOT that day. It had been sickeningly hot the day before (I remember only seeing 102, but wunderground says it was 105 that day, which explains the early quitting on the 1st), but 96 isn't that far off. We were so hot.

Since the heat wasn't letting up, we experimented with face-painting at the Dia de los Muertos face-painting station. (was I supposed to tip them?)

Went on Big Thunder without FPs, but it was a shortish line.

Went back to the Halloween Festival, or whatever it's called. Randomly ran into...

I'm not sure if you can see the heat waves in these pictures, but if you can't, mentally put them in there. It was SO hot back there. I mean, sick and wrong. I'm not sure either of us was having fun, really.

Weird, random little games.

Fun music. They did Devil went down to Georgia.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #200
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Had a little drama that day, as Eamon lost his sunglasses. At breakfast. We had gotten all the way over to some other far away ride, when we realized they were gone. We retraced steps, and maybe I was having a quiet tantrum, since this was his 5th pair that he had lost. Replacing sunglasses was getting annoying and expensive.

Got all the way back to Jolly Holiday (this is before we did anything but eating from the pictures above), and while one person said they had seen them, they weren't behind the registers or anywhere. We were sad. I was mad. E was bummed.

On the way out, I saw a janitorial CM. Totally randomly, I asked if he had seen a pair of kid's sunglasses. He went to check after getting the description. And brought them right out to us. He had seen them on the cream/sugar area (which is where another CM had seen them) and had put them in his janitorial closet area! Yay him!

So that all happened before most of the above.

E decided he wanted to meet a villain. So we waited under the one umbrella for the villain tent. Neat pumpkins.

Inside the tent.

Random villain shows up. Happened to be Cruella this time. Eamon was not impressed. I only had Photopass shots done of their meeting, so they'll be posted at a later date, but seriously, he had NO interest in being there.

Finally called it quits at the Carnival, and headed over to New Orleans Square. Decided to get a coffin popcorn bucket, and as we waited I noticed the OogieBoogieMan.

Not to mention these guys:

OH and I haven't shared with you, because they are on my phone and not my camera, the fact that by this time (around 1pm) the facepaint had come entirely off, and landed (b/c he was wiping his face with his shoulder) on E's shirt. Not a good experiment!

But because it was already off, E and I choose to ride Splash. We got the BEST ride photo, which I can't wait to share with you. I actually don't look weird, but look happy, and Eamon is hilarious. Since we had been flanked in line by two other groups of two, we were all in the same boat, which makes it almost like we were with friends. The line said 40 minutes but it was absolutely longer, as they were doing the "take 50 FP holders for every 20 standby people" method of line management that day. I normally don't complain about that, but I was getting mighty irked while standing in one place for 3 minutes at a time, just watching the FP line stream on by...and that happened throughout the line, even once we reached the spot where the lines mix.

It was fun, nevertheless.

We got some food for everyone to go, which is NOT easy to do at the parks. E's kid's mac and cheese from French Market (surprise) and Veggie Po'boys for each of the adults make for very laden hands as you make your way out of the park and to the hotel room where the Sick One has awoken with some hunger. Nevertheless, once we got there, it was tasty-goodness.

OH, and I didn't make it easier on myself, as I had gotten a Mint Julep, which I now REALLY like.

Later that day there was some swimming, there was a visit to the DLH Coffee Shop, there was a much later dinner from Tangeroa, and while at the pool there was some very serious envy of the Cabanas.

That night we ordered our coffee by phone for the next morning, setting up strong delivery time guidelines.

Dream, wish, sleep.....
Old 10-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #201
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

It sounds like you guys had some MAJOR heat. To me Disneyland is not a whole lot of fun when it's hot. I felt your pain about the great sunglasses search. The kids have lost things at the parks and we have never been lucky enough to find them again.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #202
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I wouldn't have been able to take the heat. I would have gotten very ill. Poor E - I feel bad for him - the heat headaches are not fun.

How wonderful that you were able to get the sunglasses back from the janitorial person! I hate hate hate the feeling of losing something I really adored, knowing I will never get it back. It's happened to me. I was sick about it.

I like those candy packages too! They're very clever.

The pumpkins at the Round-Up/Ranch/Carnival/Jamboree are always the best part of that spot, because they change all the time.

I like seeing pictures of the Carnival so I can get a better handle on what it actually looks like, but I'm still not thrilled with the idea of it. I can tell that a lot of the cute harvest-y decorations that were there last year are not there this year. The walkways are too empty for those decorations. I don't like the meet-one-Villain-at-a-time-and-you-have-no-clue-who-it-will-be concept at all. I wish they had just left it as the Round-Up.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:05 AM   #203
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

As I was typing out day 3 I was called by the brother in law. MIL was having another stroke. I went up, did my layperson's evaluation, called her GP, trundled her in the car and took her to the ER. That was at 2. I'm just now home.

This one was...worse. This had facial involvement, a weak hand, (both of those things were transient, though the facial drooping lasted hours) a broken blood vessel in her eye, some SERIOUS forgetting. It was also preceded by not taking her drugs Thursday or this morning, not eating, and not checking her blood sugars pretty much since she got home.

Betcha know what the family has now decided on in terms of where she will not be going home to.

Sigh.

E and I are cuddling while I type this and he watches a little Lazytown for comfort before bed.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #204
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

I'm so sorry Molly.....what a hard time for you and your entire family. Sounds like she is going to need round the clock medical observation. Saying a prayer for her and your family!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #205
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Thanks Laurie, yeah, this one has landed her in the world of memory loss, or the D word. Of course none of us want that for ourselves, so it sounds silly to say this, but this is something she NEVER wanted. Sadness.

She was trying to get me to stay home today, but Robert wants to do a video-call with her today so I have to bring my laptop or his work ipad or my phone up there.

And later I have to find his POA forms b/c the time has come to get her finances in order for Medicaid etc etc for all of this to move forward.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 10-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #206
kaoden39
Hugs

Molly, I am so sorry to hear this latest. I hope they aren't rushing her out of the hospital before she is ready.

Are you all going to look into assisted living for her? That is a chore in it self.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #207
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Oh yes, AL is a must. She has completely rejected, even when healthier, living with family (even if there were family in a living situation that would work). And she has rejected living with her best friend (who offered).

But taking her drugs, feeding herself, and watching her blood sugar aside, the next problem might be stove-related, or similar. As my grandma went into Alzheimers, she started keeping her plastic-ware in the oven, then one day decided to make a baked potato. My aunt came over just in time to find plastic-fumes and smoke coming out of the oven, with my grandma absolutely clueless. In MIL's case, it wouldn't just be her and her own home at risk, but an entirely apartment building of seniors. Not good.

And yes, I'm overwhelmed with figuring this out. Tomorrow the SIL and her kids will be in town, and I'm sure we'll all get together to talk about this. Robert, of course, will have to join in by phone.

Eamon, meanwhile, has Jonas Brothers on his ipod while he pretends to play his Guitar Hero guitar and sings along. It's not at all amusing. Ah who am I kidding, it's hilarious!

I hope his cousins can be as Zen as he is about grandma's memory lapses.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #208
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Thought I was going to do more trip story, but it just hit me how exhausted I am. The nurse even said I looked wiped out earlier. Guess I need to believe her. So I'm going to go to bed early. I put the heavy comforter on the bed last night, and it was so incredibly cozy I wanted to stay there forever. Alas, then MIL's doctor called.

The SIL and her girls get in tomorrow, as I think I mentioned, and I have to be up bright and early so I can see them before they see MIL. They need a head's up. Wish I had had one today. Definitely not herself.

Goodnight, and thank you so much for continuing to listen.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #209
kaoden39
Hugs

Molly, I hope today goes well. Maybe with SIL there you can all sit down and figure out what is going to happen with your MIL.

I am so sorry you are going through this.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #210
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

OH gracious, what drama. SIL couldn't make it due to some sort of something that only happens to her, then BIL was super-late, and it all came out in a sideways sort of accidental conversation and the concept of assisted living caused her to tell us that she'd simply kill herself.

Strangely, this did not cause the nurses to commit her, even though they were told.

Funny, because if I went into a hospital and told them that I'd kill myself if xyz happened, I'd get forcibly medicated and sent to a different part of the facility.

Weird.

Spent all day with various people sobbing and/or screaming (OK I didn't scream but others did). I walked around apologizing to the staff for the kerfluffle and noise. Oy.

And at the end of the whole day, when Robert got on the phone with her and talked as calmly as possible, it turns out she thought we were just dumping her ANYWHERE, tomorrow.

And when I found that out on the phone with him, I had E put on a movie, I went to my bedroom telling him I was going to have a tantrum but would be OK, and I went and screamed on the phone with Robert about that. We used ALL the words, we explained COUNTLESS times, in English and Korean, what we were talking about, and that is what she took away from it, that we were just going to dump her in any old place?

omg.

And I cannot even think of today's care manager without getting angry again, because she undid hours of work and emotion by traipsing in telling MIL that no one could force her to do anything. MIL fools people who don't know her...it's why I wish we could have just had her STAY at the hospital so she could have continuity of care by the same people, instead of fooling each new group of nurses. Oh she's so pleasant, she's a nice lady, oh she's so young, oh shes whatever she absolutely ISN'T.

too much, too many emotions.

She thinks of her memory problems as being "mistakes". She's bargaining, making deals...if she makes another "mistakee" then she'll go to assisted living. Because we can control our memory, we can control when we have strokes. If we could control these things, wouldn't she have already done it? The next mistake could be burning down her building and killing the people around her. We see this so clearly; why don't they?

She even showed her lack of comprehension or short-term memory in front of the care manager and neurologist, b/c after two big long conversations about what sort of changes in care of her strokes should be made or not made, after talking about how we'll just keep her on the same things she has had, because doing a surgical angiogram wouldn't make sense since she has refused surgery (especially to put a stent in a vessel inside her skull), so why get the information. At the end, she approached the doctor TWICE, almost in a row, to ask when she would be having that test. Twice. IN a row. But they don't see the deficits in memory.

Sigh.

And it's not like we WANT her in assisted living, but on the other hand, she would be MORE FREE if she were there. No more depending on me for things, no more depending on friends to bring her food or groceries. She'd have nurses there, she'd have the cooking done for her. She would probably have a van to ride to the store/mall/whatever if she wished. Visits by family to her could be VISITS, not medical examinations. etc etc. But she just can't get some scary institution from the '60s out of her head...

Blah blah blah, sorry about all this and thank you!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 10-21-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: