Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 03:29 AM   #151
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Pictures in Haunted Mansion

I took some slightly jittery, no-flash, pictures of the pictures in the hallway.

(oh drat, that's so blurry and it could have been so pretty!)

I can't get enough of the lights in this room.

Although this is a particularly creepy shot of the medium's face....

Went to French Market, only to find out the menu had changed. UGH.

1. It's so fishy it's hard for me to breathe. Even when I was eating fish (over 20 years ago at this point) I couldn't stand the smell of fish...lots of mahi mahi and PERFECTLY cooked trout was cooked by my mom. Never ever ever any salmon (I know trout and salmon are related but the smells are vastly different). And their new menu makes the whole place just reek, in the opinions of me and Eamon.

2. Nothing *obviously* vegetarian apart from the mac and cheese. SO annoying. You have to ask.

3. Thankfully, the person I asked is vegan. And knows. And brought out the big folder of foods and whether or not they are vegetarian, gluten free, etc. Their corn chowder is vegetarian, and the jambalaya can be made vegetarian. So we got those (along with E's ubiquitous mac and cheese).

4. They chose the very wrong word to describe their fancy bread. Surely the fancy bread is ARTISAN. And not *artesian*. Unless, of course, they use artesian WATER in their bread. But I doubt it.

5. Their bread isn't that fancy, LOL.

6. They got rid of the normal cornbread. This is a travesty! They have some nonsense potato roll now and their cornbread is made with jalapeno! The cornbread WAS the kidlet's favorite snack, and we would go through the line and pay for it and it alone. But not with jalapenos! I do NOT know what they are thinking.

Corn chowder.

Vegetarian jambalaya.

Both were annoyingly spicy, especially the jambalaya. Made it hard to actually taste the flavors, in my opinion. I did like the jalapeno cornbread, but it was spicy too, of course.

The kid's mac and cheese was given in very large portions, was creamy and delicious, and I'm pretty sure E gained a pound during the trip because of it. He also grew taller over the trip. Which was pretty cool, to get home, see him standing up next to the coffee table, and realize that he has to bend more to reach the Legos on the table. And he lost the pound I assume (his belly is smaller) without daily doses of mac and cheese. : )

Where is this?

Big moon.

That's the last of the pictures of the day. We decided to have coffee sent up the next morning, so we filled out the paper form and put it on our door handle before midnight, just like the room service card said to do! Tucked E into bed, turned on the "dream is a wish your heart makes" sparkle-light headboard, and he was OUT.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #152
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Molly, before I comment I want to ask how your MIL is? I meant to ask the last time I commented but I was taken with the window and thinking how I would love to have a window with a view.

I believe that you stayed in the same tower I did in 2011. The parking lot view was actually kind of fun. I loved watching it fill up in the morning.

I love the holiday layover on the Haunted Mansion. It makes it much more fun. My oh so grown up daughter doesn't like the regular Haunted Mansion but she loves the NBC layover.

What a hassle at the Hilton. That would have totally ticked me off.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #153
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Hi Molly!!!

Wow, I missed 2 trips!! Guess that's what I get for ignoring the DL trip report thread for so long.......

So sorry to hear about your MIL, hopefully she is feeling better and doing good!!

Loved your pics from CarsLand!!! E looked like he really was enjoying himself.....made me smile!!

Now a Halloween time trip.....oh boy!!!! Looking forward to seeing more pics!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #154
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Molly, before I comment I want to ask how your MIL is?
She seems to be doing better physically. We're finding holes in her memory, most definitely. And some of the holes are more recent than others, but I know that being hospitalized and then homebound (she has to be homebound in order for Medicare to pay for the Home Health nurse visits, and they still feel she needs those) can cause problems in memory. And of course we remember things, like the long-awaited neurologist visit, that were set up while she was in the hospital, that she has forgotten. So we're not sure if we just didn't explain the neurologist appt to her, didn't remind her, or if she's having short-term memory problems as well.

I need a class in Medicare, because I truly do not understand it, and the bills are starting to come in now. And it's enrollment time, so I want to see what she has, how much she is paying for it (the supplemental insurance), and if we can do better.

So it's more the day to day stuff now. Not so much the crisis stuff. This is going to sound weird, but I liked the crisis stuff better. I'm MUCH better at dealing with it.

(which probably could be psychoanalyzed as to why I created so much chaos in my single life, and how odd it is to get used to boring married life, LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
Hi Molly!!!

Wow, I missed 2 trips!! Guess that's what I get for ignoring the DL trip report thread for so long.......
Hey, I know the feeling! I go ages without looking at trip report sections. I keep forgetting to check into your pretrip, and to Tracey's post-trip.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 10-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #155
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

I know what you mean. My mom has Kaiser as well as the Medicare. Her Kaiser is paid for by my dads retirement from the government. Thankfully I don't have to worry about all that. Is the cruise going to affect her home health nurse status? My mom forgets things sometimes and then will argue with me about it.

I see you have lost over 50 lbs. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #156
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Hey, I know the feeling! I go ages without looking at trip report sections. I keep forgetting to check into your pretrip, and to Tracey's post-trip.
Well I'll save you the trip.....My WDW PTR is no more (well it's still there, but the trip isn't) I did start a new PTR for Disneyland though........ Basically we're at 36 wks on waiting on the IRS to send us our adoption credit with no end in sight yet. The WDW trip would have had to been paid by next week.....didn't see that happening so since we were so close to the 45 day mark.....I cancelled everything. The plan is to go to DL as long as we get that money by mid-November (or at least have a date when to expect it).
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

Old 10-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #157
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the congrats! I remain astonished at how well WW is working for me this time.

They almost released her from HH last week, but then she said she had almost forgotten her morning medication, and that she still wakes up confused sometimes, and that got her right back into the program for at least two more weeks. I was both irked AND impressed that she mentioned it; she knew it would keep her in the program. Since she usually wants to be so independent it was interesting that she mentioned it; I mean, the paperwork had almost been all filled out!

But she can't drive yet anyway, and is still reliant on people to do her grocery shopping for her, so there's really not much of a difference.

By Feb, assuming everything is the same or better, she will be long off HH.

Also, the neurologist (who had a horrible staff and an awful bedside manner) is going to have her do a heart monitor for a month to see if all of this is because of previously-undiagnosed atrial fibrillation. If they do find it, then that can be treated differently, and the coumadin can go away. This would be good, but wowza did I hate the way he came about that decision. One does not need to trash every single other doctor, while acting like the nice and kind daughter in law was the one diagnosing it all and really had a vested interest in keeping her on coumadin (and also hinting that I have no clue how dangerous a drug it can be), in order to swerve the possible treatment course to another possibility. One can simply say "hey, let's try this". I mean, gosh, are there people out there who WANT to be on coumadin when there's any other possibility out there?
Old 10-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #158
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Off topic!

OK, now wait. I just read this: "Most people with atrial fibrillation take a blood-thinning drug called warfarin (Coumadin) to lower this risk of stroke and heart failure."

So what on earth is the difference? Must call her cardiologist on Monday....

While looking things up, I found that it takes 3-7 days for Plavix to start working. This alleviates any feelings that maybe there should be some guilt (as a doctor or two tried to put on us/her) that she didn't start taking Plavix on Labor Day Monday after being released from the first ER visit. They didn't know what other drugs she was taking, even though Robert spent quite a bit of time TELLING THEM in response to them asking him what drugs she took, so there was NO way for us to know if it would be OK with those drugs. And since half of her drugs were in sample form, with no written prescription for them on file at the pharmacy, even the pharmacy wouldn't have been able to alert us/her. It was a prudent decision she/we made to not start, and since she could have had it filled on Monday but already had a second set of ministrokes on Wednesday, the Plavix couldn't have prevented it as it wouldn't have had a chance to take full effect.

Good.

(Plavix comes to mind as it's a secondary treatment along with aspirin, for those who can't tolerate coumadin)

Last edited by bumbershoot; 10-14-2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added more boring stuff
Old 10-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #159
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
Well I'll save you the trip.....My WDW PTR is no more (well it's still there, but the trip isn't) I did start a new PTR for Disneyland though........ Basically we're at 36 wks on waiting on the IRS to send us our adoption credit with no end in sight yet. The WDW trip would have had to been paid by next week.....didn't see that happening so since we were so close to the 45 day mark.....I cancelled everything. The plan is to go to DL as long as we get that money by mid-November (or at least have a date when to expect it).

Last edited by bumbershoot; 10-14-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #160
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Oh, and Michele...the reason I'm involved with the Medicare stuff is that she doesn't really have a clue. It was taken care of by her husband, and when he died all we did was whatever was necessary. We didn't change anything as far as I know.

But one of the things I found out the other day is that her supplemental insurance didn't have her current address. Instead, they had her address from five years ago. Which means she has not received anything from them in that time. She told me that the price was OK, then it jumped way up and she didn't know why, but it's too much. Well yeah, she didn't get anything from them! And says she doesn't understand anything so doesn't talk to them about it all. In 5 years, SO much has changed with all those plans, and at the very least she needs to know what hospitals are in her network; this was an issue that popped up the other day from her echocardiogram done at a hospital that, it turns out, is not in her supplemental insurance's network. The damage was "only" $85, but if we had known, it could have been no money out of pocket if we could have scheduled it at another hospital.

And now we have bills on the way from THREE different hospitals.... It would have been good to know this 2 months ago. Know what I'm saying?

5 years of not having the correct address....

Sidenote of incredible frustration....she feels so so so guilty for having "forced" her old MD into giving her the samples, but feels NO guilt for not having made sure the insurance company had her correct address. The drugs she was getting for free were cheap cheap CHEAP drugs, maybe $4 every 3 months OOP... Maybe paying higher than needed premiums, and not knowing her in-network info, I'm SURE has cost her far more.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #161
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

OK, I have to go do cleaning and organization RIGHT NOW. The guys are at MIL's right now, and I know I'll have work to do for her this coming week, and I need, very much need, the physical and mental space to deal with it all. And that means cleaning and organizing.

My reward for having done that will be to post more pictures and bits of story! I shall be back, but if I indicate that I didn't finish my cleaning, refuse to read/look at what I post! Cyber-smack me until I get back to work!
Old 10-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #162
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Picture first (reward for a bunch of cleaning up), story later (didn't do quite enough).

ETA, now I've done more.

So we had put the hang tag for room service out, as it said to do. Next morning, opened the door...hang tag was still there. We called, they apologized, they sent coffee and soymilk (for E) up pretty quickly. I'm fairly certain it was just more Nescafe, but there was something about it that was really good to us. We only wished it didn't cost as much as it did. (something like just under 16 for the 40oz pot of coffee, including their service charge and extra percentage on there (tipping above and beyond those two things would be up to the individual, so I'm not including that here) It felt like it was worth it, in some weird Disney Math sort of way.

We headed over to Disneyland, and here we split off because Robert wanted to go on the submarines while Eamon wanted to drive a car. I chose the car because, well, I had to, if E was going on it. He's about half an inch under the mark for driving alone. We were something like the third group in line, and found out that they have to have 25 drivers to open the ride. It didn't feel good to be waiting for the line to really open, but we would have been waiting anyway inside the line. Finally enough drivers showed up and we were walked into the line. By this guy.

He can almost actually drive and steer at the same time.

Oh drat, need to do more work. I am feeling so productive!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 10-14-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:34 AM   #163
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Ohhhh craptacular. Robert's shuttle picks him up at 4am for a work trip, and right now he's checking his mom into the ER for more of the same symptoms as before. Fab-u-lous.

Please note that about an hour ago I was crying in the hallway. I'm not heartless. I am just worried that this will be more of the same transient mystery and that she'll be in the hospital for days while we deal with doctors and Robert misses his work trip, for another discharge and shrug of the shoulders.

Being annoyed is obviously easier for me to deal with than being scared and feeling helpless.

No matter how awful she's been to me, hearing that she is calling asking for help because she's confused and losing her mind, while the home-phone rings at her house (her other son calling her back) and she doesn't know what that sound is, doesn't give me a good feeling.

I don't pray, but if anyone out there does and would like to, honestly, I think what she would want someone to pray for is for her prayers to Buddha to be answered. If that's something you could do (especially reading between the lines for what she might be praying for), I'm sure she would appreciate it.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #164
DizNee Luver

**hugs*** Molly.........dealing with ailing parents is just hard....trust me I know.....this year has been horrible. So sending prayers for your MIL and your family as you deal with all of this and prepare for what inevitably is coming down the road.

PS: I didn't think there ever WASN'T a huge line for Autopia.......

Old 10-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #165
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Thank you Laurie.

I skimmed your pre-trip, and I was just floored by all you have gone through this year. I am so sorry.

Gotta get ready to get up to the hospital. Poor E.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: