Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #1096
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Bye !!!!I am off like a herd of Turtles in the morning!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #1097
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Great update, Glenn. The fishing excursion looks perfect for a boy and he was really doing a great job catching those fish. And what a beautiful area too.
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #1098
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

Wow the resort pictures are just beautiful. What a great resort. Fishing sounded fun and productive. I think Danielle would have loved it too.

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
vamassey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #1099
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Just looking for another update !! Leaving on Thursday morning !!! So can you hold the updates till I get back !!!!
Well, I didn't make your timeframe unfortunately. And I have another update ready to go....sorry 'bout that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneybuckeye View Post
Another great update Glenn. The fising excursion looks like a nice activity. Great pictures and thanks for sharing.
We had a nice time. For someone not very familiar with fishing, it was worth it.

Quote:
Looking forward to the shark tooth necklace activity.
Hang tight then.

Quote:
I just realized I will be in the world during the Ohio State - Penn State game. I'll think of you when I am watching it at the ESPN Cafe at the Boardwalk.
Ooo, I wish I could watch it from there. I think it'll be a good game this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Bye !!!!I am off like a herd of Turtles in the morning!!
Sorry I missed the sendoff. Have a great time!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Great update, Glenn. The fishing excursion looks perfect for a boy and he was really doing a great job catching those fish. And what a beautiful area too.
Thank you! He had a great time. Definitely made some memories, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamassey1 View Post
Wow the resort pictures are just beautiful. What a great resort. Fishing sounded fun and productive. I think Danielle would have loved it too.
I'm glad you liked the picture Vanessa. If you ever get there, I recommend the little fishing trip to the pond.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #1100
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Sharktooth Necklaces and I find Gram’s bathing suit

After the Fishing FUNdamentals excursion, I decided to stop into the gift shop in the Inn, the Island Grove Packing Company, to take some pictures for you DISers who like to have this kind of info.

Here are some hats.

And some jackets.

The lineup of snacks.

Some refrigerated items.

And even more refrigerated items.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a broader picture of the store in general because at this point I was taking a lot of flak from James. He was embarrassed that his dad was taking pictures of store refrigerators, apparently. But other than what you can see here, they have a small selection of Disney character t-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, bags, and of course other items like trading pin starter kits and magnets and such. It's a pretty small store, but they keep it about as full as their space will allow.

Back out on the sidewalk, we ran into the girls on their way to the refill station to get some drinks before lunch. I accompanied them to the refill station and got another picture, since it was closed up when I took the pictures on my early-morning stroll.

From there, we went back to our suite to have lunch. Sorry, again no pictures! But it wasn't too exciting -- just sandwiches of lunch meat, cheese, and lettuce. Lauren was mad because we hadn't thought to buy any mustard or mayo. We did have some Ranch dressing though, and we told her to try that. She said, "Hey, this is pretty good!" And I said, "We're expanding your horizons one sandwich at a time", to which I got a .

After lunch, we all went over to the Community Hall for the Sharktooth Necklace activity. While we were waiting for it to start, I got a text from one of my sisters who told me that Mom (ie. Gram) had bought a new bathing suit for the trip, and now they were tagging their luggage and trying to find some shorts in the attic. One text said Dad will have white legs. (Sometimes his grandkids call him "Whitey" for that reason...he almost never wears shorts. I wouldn't be surprised if one day I saw "Poppy's Legs" as the name of an off-white paint chip sample at Home Depot.)

I walked into the hallway next to the Community Hall and saw this picture:

I texted it to my sister and said, "Just found Grams suit ;-)".

Forget the suit. Look at those shoes...they look like what a boxer would wear! I could see Charlie Chaplin showing off a little fancy footwork in those.

Anyway, our instructor for the activity came in and it was none other than Maryann. She said "Hi James!". It's always nice to know the teacher.

Other kids were arriving, and one parent brought a girl who hadn't registered ahead of time, to see if they could squeeze her in. Maryann said that they were full by the number who registered, but they could hang around to see if anyone didn't show up. Eventually everyone showed up and they had to turn her away. I felt a little bad since my kids were older and didn't really need to do this activity, but hey, we signed up and they offer it pretty much every day, so she could catch it another time.

Once everyone was seated at the tables, they had the kids take turns going past the table in the front to pick out their yarn, beads, and shark tooth. Then Maryann showed them how to string some beads, tape their yarn to the table, and make some basic knots and braids.

Lauren was thrilled when she got back to the table and discovered that she had chosen a similar color palette as both her brother and sister.

Back a couple of years ago, Lauren had a hobby of making hemp wrist-bands and anklets and things. (In fact, in my 2010 trip report you can see that I'm wearing one at the beginning of the trip, but lost it by the end. ) Consequently, she knew lots of neat ways to braid and twist their yarn and helped James and Marlene with theirs. A little girl across from her also needed a little help.

James definitely needed some help for his ambitious attempts.

Judy took a cellphone picture of me with the kids to prove that I was there.

Most of the younger kids I think, just tied some knots, threw on some beads, tied more knots and called it "done", which is fine of course. My kids worked hard...braiding, knotting, twisting, starting over...braiding, knotting, twisting. And they were the last to leave, but they made some nice necklaces, in my biased opinion.

At $10 each, it was probably a little pricey for some yarn, beads, and a necklace-ready shark tooth. But hey, you're on vacation, and you get an activity and a souvenir all at the same time. And maybe when you look at it like that, it's not too bad.

Up next: Turtle Walk…and walk and walk
Link to next chapter

Last edited by glennbo123; 07-29-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #1101
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Those are some very very nice necklaces!!!! I was surprised Evan didn't call this out as an activity he wanted to do, I think he'd have loved it.

Oh my goodness our turtle walk updates are going to be close together, I'm still a couple away but not far behind. It will be cool to see how your experience compared to ours.

Dying over the Poppy whitey pants comment.

I was relatively impressed with Island Grove, I have some similar pictures in my next update. Until I saw the store at Jambo which, from a grocery standpoint, blew it away.

Last edited by eandesmom; 10-12-2012 at 04:34 PM.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #1102
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

4 Judys
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #1103
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Here are some hats.
Yes. Yes, they are.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I didn’t get a broader picture of the store in general because at this point I was taking a lot of flak from James. He was embarrassed that his dad was taking pictures of store refrigerators, apparently.
Rightfully so, I'd say.

Quote:
Lauren was mad because we hadn’t thought to buy any mustard or mayo. We did have some Ranch dressing though, and we told her to try that. She said, “Hey, this is pretty good!” And I said, “We’re expanding your horizons one sandwich at a time”, to which I got a .
From your teenage daughter? No way!

Quote:
I wouldn’t be surprised if one day I saw “Poppy Legs” on an off-white paint chip sample at Home Depot.
That's still better than me: Thermonuclear Blast.

Quote:
Anyway, our instructor for the activity came in and it was none other than Maryann. She said “Hi James!”. It’s always nice to know the teacher.
Teacher's pet!

I bet Maryann also checked you in at the front desk, changed your sheets, maintained the pH balance in the pool and supervised the turtle nests.

Quote:
Lauren was thrilled when she got back to the table and discovered that she had chosen a similar color palette as both her brother and sister.
Now it's your turn to do the

Quote:
Nicely done! They look great!
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #1104
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Ooooh...I'm here for another update and not three days later again (although Mark already beat me to how many Judys).

The necklaces look great and you can tell they really worked to make them look that way. I don't think $10 is bad at all for what they got.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #1105
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

Hey! You were sitting in our lucky bingo seats!!!

Love the necklaces!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #1106
PlutosRHM55
Pluto's Un-Mentioned Manager

Location: Amongst the thousand happy haunts beginning to materialize, but suffering a disquieting metamorphosis... Your cadaverous pallor portrays an aura of foreboding, you know?

Ahhhh, gotta love the obligatory Disney store shop pics! For the amount of pictures we get on DisBoards in those places and the unintentional advertising we make, it is strange they haven't started paying us. Oh well... I'll just grab one of those Mickey ears on my next trip

LOL @ the old-time swim suit for your Mom. I saw that coming just as I was scrolling down to see the picture. And I could definitely see Charlie Chaplin jamming it up with those shoes haha

Oh the sharktooth necklace class looked like lots of fun. They really do keep you busy at the non-Disney park resorts. I don't think $10 was much of a waste there... oh wait, you said for EACH person. Yeah, that does seem much. Well... it's Disney A completely legitimate excuse right there! Oh and the necklaces came out great. (:

Can't wait to read more!
PlutosRHM55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #1107
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Late but still here and congrats Mark for the Judys.

Nice activity and thanks for the shopping pictures.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #1108
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

The shark tooth necklace activity looks like a fun activity/souvenir! I remember making those braided/woven bracelet things at camp - those look much better than my attempts though! (Plus they have the added bonus of a shark tooth!)
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #1109
MEK
DIS Veteran

Was Mark stalking the DIS boards this morning again?

Cool activity. It's so great that you are taking advantage of all the fun activities the resort has.

And that James - teacher's pet!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #1110
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Those are some very very nice necklaces!!!! I was surprised Evan didn't call this out as an activity he wanted to do, I think he'd have loved it.
"Necklace" sounds like a girls activity, but throw in "sharktooth" and it suddenly becomes unisex. He might've liked it, but I'm sure you did some other good activities.

Quote:
Oh my goodness our turtle walk updates are going to be close together, I'm still a couple away but not far behind. It will be cool to see how your experience compared to ours.
It will be interesting! I'm so tempted to say some things, but don't want to get ahead of myself.

Quote:
Dying over the Poppy whitey pants comment.

Quote:
I was relatively impressed with Island Grove, I have some similar pictures in my next update. Until I saw the store at Jambo which, from a grocery standpoint, blew it away.
It really wasn't too bad, considering the size. It takes some knocks on the boards for being so small, but it has quite a few things.

Oh yeah, Jambo's is practically the super-Wal-Mart of resort gift shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
4 Judys
Yep-er. Good timing.

Updated scores:
Jenn (elphie101) - 1 Judy-sighting win, First Subscriber Honors!
Tanya - 1 Judy-sighting win
Pat - 3 Judy-sighting wins
Rosie - 2 Judy-sighting wins
Marvin - 4 Judy-sighting wins, 3 Eagle Eye points
Kelly - 1 Judy-sighting win
Mark - 3 Judy-sighting wins
Molly - 1 Judy-sighting win
Dan - 1 Eagle Eye point
Kathy - 1 Judy-sighting win
Dee - 3 Judy-sighting wins
Magdalene - 2 Judy-sighting wins
Katharina - 2 Judy-sighting wins

Quote:
Yes. Yes, they are.
I guess I hadn't gotten rolling, creativity-wise, at that point in the chapter.

Quote:
Rightfully so, I'd say.
It's hard to argue with facts.

Quote:
From your teenage daughter? No way!
Hard to believe I know, but it's true.

Quote:
That's still better than me: Thermonuclear Blast.
Quick, put on this welder's mask!

Quote:
Teacher's pet!
Were you "that kid" in school?

Quote:
I bet Maryann also checked you in at the front desk, changed your sheets, maintained the pH balance in the pool and supervised the turtle nests.
Why yes, how did you know? Fortunately for her, with DVC you don't get full housekeeping service very day.

Quote:
Now it's your turn to do the
Oh I wouldn't do that!

Quote:
Nicely done! They look great!
Thank you (on their behalf, 'cause I can't take any of the credit).

Quote:
Ooooh...I'm here for another update and not three days later again (although Mark already beat me to how many Judys).
Yay, I'm glad you were able to pop in when I had a fresh chapter posted. Or is it pop-tarts, a fresh pastry toasted?

Quote:
The necklaces look great and you can tell they really worked to make them look that way. I don't think $10 is bad at all for what they got.
Thanks Kathy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLiz View Post
Hey! You were sitting in our lucky bingo seats!!!

Love the necklaces!!!
Well no wonder the necklaces turned out nicely! Thanks for the luck!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: