Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #991
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet
Personally, I'm a popper! I love me some black heads.

Before I forget...Dead Poet's Society is one of my all time favorite movies.

That pizza looks good! Now I'm hungry.

The one thing I don't like about big resorts is that they are so big and spread out. They should rent golf carts...

As a little side not...I know I'm a fuddy duddy but it's nice to see your girls in swimsuits that actually have more material than string and a few triangles. I'm always amazed at how little some teenage girls are allowed to go out in..
winkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #992
nodnol
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Correct!

Jenn (elphie101) - 1 Judy-sighting win, First Subscriber Honors!
Tanya - 1 Judy-sighting win
Pat - 3 Judy-sighting wins
Rosie - 2 Judy-sighting wins
Marvin - 4 Judy-sighting wins, 2 Eagle Eye points
Kelly - 1 Judy-sighting win
Mark - 2 Judy-sighting wins
Molly - 1 Judy-sighting win
Dan - 1 Eagle Eye point
Kathy - 1 Judy-sighting win
Dee - 2 Judy-sighting wins
Magdalene - 1 Judy-sighting win
Katharina - 1 Judy-sighting win

I think that is the correct list excluding the rip-tide illustration....but Katharina got the right count on the first try and specified that her count included all illustrations. She was all over it!

As a kid I always finished exhibitions and museums a lot faster than the rest of the family. Of course they thought I skipped "important" stuff, so they tested me and usually I could answer all their questions But usually I'm too late to read the update. But well, otherwise it would be boring for the other players

nodnol is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #993
MEK
DIS Veteran

Well, even on a Sunday with full picture viewing capabilities, I can't count Judy's fast enough. And - I would have to get my magnifying glass out to count three of those judy's.

I liked the Orchid Pizza place when we stayed there. I think we may have ordered take out from there more than once.

I think you went all "Cynthia" on me with that map of the resort and the multi-colored arrows. Isn't it weird how everything looks far away on the map, when in reality everything is pretty close. We stayed at the south end of the resort.

I agree that all the grocery stores seem so far away, but I like that they gave us a paper with suggestions.

I can see where 5 people sharing 1 BR could get a bit difficult.

Great update!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #994
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:
I think that is the correct list excluding the rip-tide illustration....but Katharina got the right count on the first try and specified that her count included all illustrations. She was all over it!
Yes I did not count the rip tide picture

Congrats Katharina.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #996
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Another great update Glenn! Extremely detailed as usual :P that pizza does look nice, and I don't even like pizza (pause for gasps of surprise) :D

I can't help but see that your next chapter is a not so subtle reference to previous TR's too. That beach looks inviting to me, not to mention the scenery. Where I live beaches mean hypothermia and hypodermic needles... But we do share the seaweed problem! That movie perk sounds really valuable, especially with kids to entertain, I know my parents were glad of a rented movie when I was younger on trips!

The shortage of hanging space is a common problem among hotels everywhere it seems. Strange, considering that most places have pools if not beaches. Overall, really interesting, and well worth the wait

ETA: I was major impressed that you gave the rip tide demonstration too. Always good to see people respecting nature!

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #997
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnol View Post
Of course: counting all "illustrations" inluding, pictures, maps ets, I see Judy in the following pictures: 6,7,11,15,16,17

Marv has not yet put an answer in, so I guess it will be too early for these?
Congrats Katharina!

Marv has no intention to put in any more answers for the contest so you don't have to worry about that. You guys can have all the "fun."

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
marvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:14 AM   #998
nodnol
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
Congrats Katharina!

Marv has no intention to put in any more answers for the contest so you don't have to worry about that. You guys can have all the "fun."
Thank you! But I hope you'll play again another time

nodnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #999
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
But I dropped the ball in the planning department, since I had neglected to make a note of the actual place they usually go to get said pizza.
I find this hard to believe. You plan everything!

Quote:
Once in the van I fired up the GPS and instead of punching in the address, I had it look for a Point of Interest of “pizza” and it came up with one that was…500 feet away!
Wow, couldn't get much closer unless it was right there in your room!

Quote:
So here’s a map, in the style of the Family Circus, showing my journey that day. The yellow line shows the drive to Orchid Island Pizza. The green line shows my walk up until I waved to Marlene on our balcony. And then the blue line shows my walk back to Orchid Island Pizza.
Love the Family Circus reference!

Quote:
The poor guy tried to ring it through a couple of times and then handed it back saying, “Ahh, we no-a take-a this here.” (No offense, he really talked that like.) I was like “What? Oh! Oops.” “Here, try this one instead.”
Poor guy. Kind of gives you an impression of how that ticket taker at Universal Studios feels when somebody tries to use theie Magic Your Way ticket to get in.

Quote:
Later in the trip, Judy asked a cast member for advice on where to get groceries and she pointed her to the same place as where we went. She said, “there’s a closer Publix, but you don’t want to go there.” So, I felt somewhat vindicated.

Quote:
We asked the kids if the resort “felt like Disney”. And they all agreed that it did. It was “different”, but yes, it was definitely “Disney”.
Cool! I'm glad it did have that Disney feel to it. I've always wondered how the Disney touch actually translated over to their non theme park resorts.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #1000
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
But I dropped the ball in the planning department, since I had neglected to make a note of the actual place they usually go to get said pizza.
Via Napoli.

Quote:
Once in the van I fired up the GPS and instead of punching in the address, I had it look for a Point of Interest of “pizza” and it came up with one that was…500 feet away! We switched our plan to go with that one, but should we walk or drive? It seemed silly to drive, but we were in a fenced-in resort and I had no idea how to get there other than follow the GPS, so that’s what we did. I probably drove just as far to get out of the resort as I did to get to the pizza joint.
The glennbo family...destroying the ozone layer one pizza at a time.

Quote:
It had a card reader and sure enough, it let me through. The only problem was, the card reader wouldn’t let me back out.
That's...weird.

Quote:
So here’s a map, in the style of the Family Circus, showing my journey that day. The yellow line shows the drive to Orchid Island Pizza. The green line shows my walk up until I waved to Marlene on our balcony. And then the blue line shows my walk back to Orchid Island Pizza.

Quote:
Oh yeah. One more funny story. After walking back to Orchid Island Pizza, when I tried to pay, I accidentally handed the guy my DVC member card rather than a credit card. I don’t usually carry that card, so I had just stuck it in my wallet before we left home. The poor guy tried to ring it through a couple of times and then handed it back saying, “Ahh, we no-a take-a this here.” (No offense, he really talked that like.) I was like “What? Oh! Oops.” “Here, try this one instead.”
Boy, the sense of entitlement these DVC owners have...

Quote:
We look like we could use a tan, don’t we?
I can't comment on this. It would be a classic case of pot v. kettle.

Quote:
I've had to do that a couple of times. That's a lot of work just to get back to shore!

Quote:
I tried out the slide at the pool and came out of the water proclaiming it “the Nascar slide”. (All left turns). It wasn’t bad, but Kidani’s is better.
Good to know. I should try Kidani's sometime.

Quote:
We reminded them that as DVC members we get free movie rentals, so they went down to the gift shop and came back with a DVD of “Dead Poet’s Society”.
Carpe diem!

Quote:
We asked the kids if the resort “felt like Disney”. And they all agreed that it did. It was “different”, but yes, it was definitely “Disney”.
Good to know! I'd love to try these places out sometime.
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #1001
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Glad to hear that your pizza wasn't bad!! It looks pretty good to me (and I get very picky about pizza! )
It hit the spot….I’m not sure if it was that good, or if we were just really hungry, but we really liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
The beach looks really nice (if a bit seaweed-y)!
Yes, not a bad beach, but the seaweed was, how shall I put it? Less than optimal. Like I said in the chapter, I don’t think that was the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Ok - now I have read the update as well! Sounds like a successful arrival day, but the skies look dangerous. Also, I am not so sure what I think about all the seaweed on the beach. There is only one way in which I like my seaweed and that is wrapped around some rice...
It was a very successful arrival day! I think the fact that our room was ready really helped.

The seaweed was not good. There was just as much in the water, and the ladies in my traveling party in particular, did not like it touching their legs and ankles and such.

Quote:
How strange that the gate by the pizza place was only for getting into Vero - not very convenient...
Later in the week I went out through that gate, so I have no idea why it gave me a problem that day. You’d think that if my key wasn’t working yet, I wouldn’t have been able to get in, but that worked just fine. Weird.

Quote:
Thank you very much for the update, Glenn! Just the right thing after a weekend business trip with a o lot of translating. I think I will dream of the beach, the sea and pizza tonight!
You’re welcome Katharina! I’m glad you enjoyed it. And I hope the pizza in your dreams didn’t get soggy or sandy…you have to be careful, mixing those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Oh that's funny! They do deliver you know..... Still, a fun way to pass the time. We liked the pizza but I don't recall being overwhelmed by it.
I know that now…the guy made a point of telling us. I’m sure they get a lot of business from the resort.

You probably have better local pizza places than we do!

Quote:
WOW! The difference between that and our photos is a bit mind boggling. What a drag.
I’m really interested to see your pictures now. There had just been some storms, not much you can do.

Quote:
Very impressive, much better parent than we were, who gave NO such instructions.
Aw well. Next time. I’m sure you kept an eye on them though.

Quote:
Evan ranked the Vero slide up there on his list...I think it may have come in 3rd, or tied with OKW. I need to ask him again at some point. Eerily similar to our first night grocery run, we left Kendall in charge of the boys at the pool. We did however go to the "other" Publix...which was fine. It also had a liquor store nearby. Simply b/c it was closer but I would have liked to check out Fresh Market.
That’s reassuring then, that you left your kids at the pool too. It wouldn’t have been any fun for them to go on a tour of “the grocery stores of Vero Beach”.

Where we went really seemed like a hike, and then when we ended up going to 2 different grocery stores, it took longer than we thought it should. So, you need to have a good list and make sure you get everything the first time!

Quote:
I'd agree with the community hall assessment.
It had a fair amount of room for holding activities, but not anything that they could do on their own, like the game tables and video games at Kidani.

Quote:
I agree on the hanging thing especially. We did ok on the changing somehow but the shortage of hooks seemed really silly to me, there is plenty of space to add more hooks! A 2 bedroom would have been nicer to be sure.
You sound just like Judy….”why can’t they put some more hooks in this place?”
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #1002
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh - and on the topic of pool slides: I think the Clown slide at the Boardwalk is actually pretty spectacular for a regular resort pool slide! I can very much recommend it (and as DVCers you can even legally pool hop to it if it is not a black out period).
I’ve never been to that pool. I’m not even really sure where it is in relation to the Boardwalk. That poor pool takes a lot of grief over that creepy clown, but I’d like to stay there sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
It was really good that you had the rip current discussion with your kids. I'm amazed at how often the news down here goes over it. I know that whenever we went down the shore (usually Cape May) my Mom would have the rip current discussion, it was drilled into me.
With the bad weather and the red flag flying, I thought it was a good idea. And actually, my kids haven’t been to the beach much except when they were tykes, so it was new info. for them.

Quote:
Geoff and I were talking about it after a recent death and he didn't believe me when I was saying "you let it take you out, don't fight it. Then swim parallel to shore until someone notices you." Then they showed it on the news and he believed me...
You have so many stories like that, when is he going to realize that he needs to hang on your every word? I’m sure he knows he’s got a good thing.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm curious...does Vero Beach have any sit-down restaurants? I saw the Hilton Head DVC doesn't and it makes me curious about Vero. If it does, I'm wondering if it's worth a visit.
Yes, but we didn’t try them out….sorry! Sonya’s is the “fine dining” restaurant and Shutters is more casual, from what I can tell. My sister-in-law (has appeared in a couple of my trip reports) said that Sonya’s is one of her daughter’s favorite restaurants. Cynthia, eandesmom, has a trip report going also and is getting near the Vero Beach portion. I think they tried one or more of the restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkers View Post
Before I forget...Dead Poet's Society is one of my all time favorite movies.
Have you ever had a movie that you tried to see, but it just didn’t work out? That’s the Dead Poet’s Society for Judy. We went to the theater when it came out and a few minutes in, she started not feeling well. She didn’t want me to miss it, so she went home and then came back to get me after the movie. And now I can’t remember if she stayed up to watch it with the kids…I don’t think so, she can’t stay up late. But I remember that she and Lauren were surprised to see one of the doctors from the tv show “House” as one of the students in the movie.

Quote:
That pizza looks good! Now I'm hungry.
I wish I had a nickel for every time you posted that after one of my chapters!

Quote:
The one thing I don't like about big resorts is that they are so big and spread out. They should rent golf carts...
A moped would be great! But Vero isn’t really that big, other DVC resorts are much bigger.

Quote:
As a little side not...I know I'm a fuddy duddy but it's nice to see your girls in swimsuits that actually have more material than string and a few triangles. I'm always amazed at how little some teenage girls are allowed to go out in..
Thanks Cherie. Fortunately, they’re pretty modest and it’s not a battle for us.

Quote:
As a kid I always finished exhibitions and museums a lot faster than the rest of the family. Of course they thought I skipped "important" stuff, so they tested me and usually I could answer all their questions But usually I'm too late to read the update. But well, otherwise it would be boring for the other players
I bet I know who quizzed you the most! It has prepared you well for important activities such as this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Well, even on a Sunday with full picture viewing capabilities, I can't count Judy's fast enough. And - I would have to get my magnifying glass out to count three of those judy's.
Pretty amazing, isn’t it? I thought the Judy’s at the pool would take a while to find.

Quote:
I liked the Orchid Pizza place when we stayed there. I think we may have ordered take out from there more than once.
Spoiler alert – so did we!

Quote:
I think you went all "Cynthia" on me with that map of the resort and the multi-colored arrows. Isn't it weird how everything looks far away on the map, when in reality everything is pretty close. We stayed at the south end of the resort.
I was having fun playing with Google Earth. Yes, the resort is not that big…unless you’re looking to refill your drink mug, in which case it’s too far!

Quote:
I agree that all the grocery stores seem so far away, but I like that they gave us a paper with suggestions.
That was nice, but I didn’t look at it before our grocery run. I had the address written down, ready for the GPS.

Quote:
I can see where 5 people sharing 1 BR could get a bit difficult.

Great update!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Thanks for sharing your Vero experience with us !! It is very interesting. The 1 BR units remind of Old Key West. The lay out looks the same. Looking forward to reading more !!

Susan
I haven’t stayed at OKW, but a few people have said that.

I think Vero Beach is a great option for DVC members who might be looking for something other than the parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Another great update Glenn! Extremely detailed as usual :P that pizza does look nice, and I don't even like pizza (pause for gasps of surprise) :D
What? Who doesn’t like pizza???

Quote:
I can't help but see that your next chapter is a not so subtle reference to previous TR's too.
Sharp eye there, Squidge. It was either a reference to previous TRs, or I’m just not very creative and couldn’t come up with a new name!

Quote:
That beach looks inviting to me, not to mention the scenery. Where I live beaches mean hypothermia and hypodermic needles...
That’s not good. We used to hear about hypodermic needles washing up on beaches further north, like New Jersey, but I haven’t heard any reports of that for a long time.

Quote:
But we do share the seaweed problem!
So you’ve got that going for you.

Quote:
That movie perk sounds really valuable, especially with kids to entertain, I know my parents were glad of a rented movie when I was younger on trips!
Gotta keep the kids entertained!

Quote:
The shortage of hanging space is a common problem among hotels everywhere it seems. Strange, considering that most places have pools if not beaches. Overall, really interesting, and well worth the wait
The lack of hooks really stood out. Being a beach place, people always have suits and towels and things to hang up, and you’d think the resort wouldn’t want them hanging on the balcony’s where they’re an eyesore.

Quote:
ETA: I was major impressed that you gave the rip tide demonstration too. Always good to see people respecting nature!
I just didn’t want a bad end to the vacation. And it’s been a while since my kids were at the beach, and when they were, they were at an age where they spent most of their time making sand castles. They needed this info. now that they were going in further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
Quote:
Thank you! But I hope you'll play again another time
Yes…what Katharina said!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #1003
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I find this hard to believe. You plan everything!
I don't know what happened. But it's a good lesson to show you the dangers of not planning well.

Quote:
Wow, couldn't get much closer unless it was right there in your room!
Hey, they should do that -- bring it right to your room!

Quote:
Love the Family Circus reference!
I felt like Billy, exploring the neighborhood.

Quote:
Poor guy. Kind of gives you an impression of how that ticket taker at Universal Studios feels when somebody tries to use theie Magic Your Way ticket to get in.
Fortunately, I think he still thought it was a credit card so at least I didn't look like a complete idiot. Only you and I and all these DISers know the truth.

Quote:
Cool! I'm glad it did have that Disney feel to it. I've always wondered how the Disney touch actually translated over to their non theme park resorts.
Not quite as much as being at WDW, but still a vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Via Napoli.
Delivery from the World Showcase, that'd be good!

Quote:
The glennbo family...destroying the ozone layer one pizza at a time.
We try to do our part.

Quote:
That's...weird.
It worked later in the week, so I'm not sure what happened this time. Probably a case of "Operator Error".

Quote:
Boy, the sense of entitlement these DVC owners have...
You've gotta watch out for 'em.

Quote:
I can't comment on this. It would be a classic case of pot v. kettle.
Except calling each other "white".

There might be a picture of me on the beach in a future chapter, so keep a welder's mask handy.

Quote:
I've had to do that a couple of times. That's a lot of work just to get back to shore!
I'm glad to see that you made it back onto dry ground.

Quote:
Good to know. I should try Kidani's sometime.
Maybe your wife will surprise you and tell you that she's just driving around Delaware and all of a sudden you pass under the WDW "welcome" sign.

Quote:
Carpe diem!
Dang, I should've worked that into the chapter somewhere. But that's your superpower.

Quote:
Good to know! I'd love to try these places out sometime.
I hope you do.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #1004
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

We really enjoyed the pizza at Orchid Island. We also got salad from there because my husband always feels the need to have salad with pizza.

I wanted to drive there when we were going to go there to pick up our pizza, but I was voted down. It's not a terrible walk...even with a three-year-old.

We just got back from the Gulf Coast and we all decided that, while the sand at the beach was softer, the beach/condo on the whole were not as enjoyable as Vero Beach.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #1005
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You have so many stories like that, when is he going to realize that he needs to hang on your every word? I’m sure he knows he’s got a good thing.
You'd think he'd learn by now! Thank goodness for Google

Quote:
Yes, but we didn’t try them out….sorry! Sonya’s is the “fine dining” restaurant and Shutters is more casual, from what I can tell. My sister-in-law (has appeared in a couple of my trip reports) said that Sonya’s is one of her daughter’s favorite restaurants. Cynthia, eandesmom, has a trip report going also and is getting near the Vero Beach portion. I think they tried one or more of the restaurants.
Thanks! I'll check it out!
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: