Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #526
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post

The apologies are worse than the attack.

Youa re soooo right

Lauren got me some more material to post, but I still haven't found the time to insert the pictures and such. I'll work on it as soon as I can, now that I know I have both you and Rosie sitting on my thread, hitting the 'refresh' button every few seconds.
First second
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #527
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Lauren got me some more material to post, but I still haven't found the time to insert the pictures and such. I'll work on it as soon as I can, now that I know I have both you and Rosie sitting on my thread, hitting the 'refresh' button every few seconds.
Oooh! Sounds promising. Guess I'll just sit back and enjoy the pre-show while I wait for the main attraction!

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #528
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Tomorrow's another Today

This chapter title sounds like the title to a “Bond” film, doesn’t it? Either that or a quote from Maya Angelou, I can't decide which.

So, because of the fiasco the day before, we once again woke up at 4 am. We got ready and then were on our way to the Today Show. On our walk there, we took some pictures of the lit up NBC sign, because we had forgotten to do that in all the confusion yesterday. Plus, it looks ten times better lit up.

Glenn interjecting -- Oops. Dad had incorrectly attached this picture to the end of the last chapter. Twilight/early morning, they both look the same to me!

Finally we arrived at the Today show area a little after 5 am. We kinda stood there awkwardly for a while because we didn’t know where we were supposed to go. Then this man with the Today show came up and talked to us. He told us we were supposed to wait over to the side of the show next to this lamp post. He also showed us exactly where we should stand if we wanted to be seen. We thanked him and went to stand near the pole.

Well, mom had to go to the bathroom, so she left me for a while. She came back with a water bottle because the bathroom she used was “for customers only”. Typical. We waited there and texted a bunch of our relatives and friends to be watching for us on the show. Then, I stepped out and just took a picture of our view from where we were standing, sort of. We were off the right of this picture.

Glenn interjecting again -- Lauren sent me this picture on my phone and I posted it on my PTR thread with the caption “What Rope Drop at the Today Show looks like”.

We waited there for quite a while before there were any other people who came. By then it was about 5:45 or so. The people that lined up behind were from West Virginia and very nice. We talked to the one lady for a very long time, her name was Donna. We talked about Disney, since Mom told her we’d be leaving for Florida shortly after we got back home. And we talked about some other things too like Mom’s shoes, our family, marching band and flute. She was funny. For instance, a family came with some cute kids and she said something to the effect of “Of course they brought their kids. Kids always attract the camera.” My mom and I just laughed.

It was about 6:45 by the time a man with a bolo tie and a cowboy hat came and let us into where we would stand for the Today show. He was actually quite annoying and I thought a bit out of place in New York City. Well, we got in first and I took the man’s advice and stood right where he said I would be seen. Prime real estate, baby! And then Mom took my picture with Donna, just to remember her by. Oh, and she’s wearing a tiara because it’s her 50th birthday! How cool!

Then, my mom also took a picture from the other side so she could get the sign too, and just give some perspective. My sign says:
NYC is the
Best place to
Celebrate graduation!

I thought it was a good idea to put NBC down the side, because it might attract the camera’s attention. Since, it was after all, free advertising.

So, just as an aside, New York City is chilly in the morning. It’s not like where I live where you can see the sun all day from when it rises to when it sets. There was a slight breeze blowing where we were, plus no sunshine equaled cold people. While we were still waiting for the show to start, a group of girls in flashy outfits came and went around to the other side. Ugh, they sure knew how to get attention, and they did. Also there was this one guy, who was wearing this purply-pink shirt that even got to ask a question on the show. I was jealous and so was Donna. The cameras panned the crowd three times and the last time I think they got us, but my dad didn’t see us and neither did anyone else. It must’ve been too fast, or they might’ve cut it short.

Finally, I caught my lucky break. Tamron and the other guy came out and they set up the cameras right in front of me. Literally. Like, I was right in between their shoulders and perfectly visible. Mom was blocked by Tamron and Donna was by the other guy, but I was the extremely lucky winner. I just smiled and waved the whole time. I didn’t even pay attention to the stories that they were talking about because I was on TV! It was so super cool! Absolutely spectacular!

As soon as I was on the air, we started getting texts from our friends and family who saw me and it was just awesome. And I think my mom tried to poke her head out once or twice so Dad would see her. Oh, and when Dad shows you the pictures that he took of me, pay attention to the man directly above Tamron’s head. He comes into the story later on. He actually showed me and Mom a picture that his daughter took of the TV and there I was, right in the middle. Perfect.
Well, after that it was 8:45 or so and my mom and I were tired from standing. So, we went back to the hotel. I actually brought my Starbucks gift card so I went there and ordered a drink to warm myself up. This was because, although the sun had begun to warm the ground, I was still cold from standing in that breeze for so long. Mom went to a Dean and Deluca nearby and bought a hot chocolate which I tasted and it burned my tongue! Mine wasn’t that hot!

Glennbo interjecting yet again, with my perspective on the Today Show that morning. So, as you can imagine, I had been watching the show the whole morning, looking for them every time there was a pan of the crowd. Nuthin’. Then finally, when they came back from commercial one time, the camera swept the whole crowd…I could see that they were going around the whole rectangle of barricades and I still never saw them! I was thinking “Are you kidding me? They’re the first ones there, and I still can’t see them?” Then the camera got to the hosts (these were the Saturday hosts, the “B team” the second-stringers, but hey we’ll take it) and I saw Lauren right in between them like she was going to be interviewed! I yelled “OH MY GOSH! James! Come here!” (James was in another room, playing on the computer; Marlene was still in bed.) I could not believe it! (That Lauren and Judy were on TV, not that Marlene was still in bed -- that I could believe!)

I recorded the following video onto my phone just by holding the camera in front of the TV. The audio’s too low, but we don’t need that anyway. Sadly, this is the only remaining documentation of this event (except for the NBC archives) -- I recorded it onto our DVR, but forgot to protect it and it got deleted when our DVR filled-up with other important recordings like “Vampire Diaries”, “Law and Order”, and “Spongebob Squarepants”.

To make it easier for the Judy game , we’ll count the whole video as 1 Judy.
Link to video of the Today Show Stars!

Up next: It's tough to be a bug exhibitor
Link to next chapter

Last edited by glennbo123; 08-20-2012 at 08:55 PM.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #529
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

2 Judy's then plus 3 in the today background. Duh
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back

Last edited by Poolrat; 08-15-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #530
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
First second
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Oooh! Sounds promising. Guess I'll just sit back and enjoy the pre-show while I wait for the main attraction!
Okay, it's posted you two. Where are ya?
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #531
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

5 Judys including the video and the Judy smiley.
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #532
marvali
DIS Veteran

Three Judy's

OOps, Five Judy's

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
marvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #533
marvali
DIS Veteran

Judy's in pictures 5, 6, and 7.....the video.....and the little Judy avatar!!!

Five total

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #534
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
5 Judys including the video and the Judy smiley.
Okay smarty pants, how did your edit from 4 Judy's to 5 Judy's not show up in your post. I know yours still said 4 when my edit showed up with five!!!

Since when did edits quit showing a time stamp in the bottom of the post???? I see a major Rules Committee appeal coming here!!!

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Old 08-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #535
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
This chapter title sounds like the title to a “Bond” film, doesn’t it? Either that or a quote from Maya Angelou, I can't decide which.
Let's go with the Bond film.

Quote:
Glenn interjecting -- Oops. Dad had incorrectly attached this picture to the end of the last chapter.

Quote:
Then this man with the Today show came up and talked to us. He told us we were supposed to wait over to the side of the show next to this lamp post. He also showed us exactly where we should stand if we wanted to be seen. We thanked him and went to stand near the pole.
Cool! Inside info AND no Bieber!

Quote:
Well, mom had to go to the bathroom, so she left me for a while. She came back with a water bottle because the bathroom she used was “for customers only”. Typical.
The alley is for non-customers.

Quote:
It was about 6:45 by the time a man with a bolo tie and a cowboy hat came and let us into where we would stand for the Today show. He was actually quite annoying and I thought a bit out of place in New York City.
Sounds like he flew in from Dallas. Maybe he was part of the "B-Team" as well?

Quote:
Then, my mom also took a picture from the other side so she could get the sign too, and just give some perspective. My sign says:
NYC is the
Best place to
Celebrate graduation!
Very clever.

Quote:
While we were still waiting for the show to start, a group of girls in flashy outfits came and went around to the other side. Ugh, they sure knew how to get attention, and they did. Also there was this one guy, who was wearing this purply-pink shirt that even got to ask a question on the show. I was jealous and so was Donna.
Sigh. Sounds like it works the same as getting picked for the Indiana Jones Stunt Show.

Quote:
I didn’t even pay attention to the stories that they were talking about because I was on TV! It was so super cool! Absolutely spectacular!

Quote:
Then the camera got to the hosts (these were the Saturday hosts, the “B team” the second-stringers, but hey we’ll take it) and I saw Lauren right in between them like she was going to be interviewed! I yelled “OH MY GOSH! James! Come here!” (James was in another room, playing on the computer; Marlene was still in bed.) I could not believe it!
Awesome! So glad this worked out after all the trouble to get there!

Quote:
Sadly, this is the only remaining documentation of this event (except for the NBC archives) -- I recorded it onto our DVR, but forgot to protect it and it got deleted when our DVR filled-up with other important recordings like “Vampire Diaries”, “Law and Order”, and “Spongebob Squarepants”.
No Flo-bee infomercials?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #536
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
Okay smarty pants, how did your edit from 4 Judy's to 5 Judy's not show up in your post. I know yours still said 4 when my edit showed up with five!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #537
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

WOW! Another awesome chapter! What a great spot they picked, I thought they'd be at the back of the crowd somewhere or at the side, but their early start really paid off!

Confession time though, when it was mentioned that Judy came back with a water bottle after finding out the toilet was for customers only, I flashed back to the fable of the plane and the writhing boy from 2010 ... then I went "Oh! She bought the water bottle to use the toilet..." Woops

Fantastic reading and a great time had by the sounds of it. It's a shame about the DVR... then again the last time I tried to record something (On videotape!) there was no sound

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #538
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

good update and i bet that made up for the whole beiber feaver the other morning of not getting on the show.

way to go ladies, good picking spot.

oh and im going with 6, since 5 was taken, but just in case you say the judy reflection in laurens gums/teeth count, ill go with 6

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #539
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
talk about 2 things that do NOT go together! But yes, both are accurate!

Quote:

HOW COOL! Love your NBC sign Lauren! Very cute. And the 2nd two aren't bad shots of Judy at all!

Quote:
I recorded it onto our DVR, but forgot to protect it and it got deleted when our DVR filled-up with other important recordings like “Vampire Diaries”, “Law and Order”, and “Spongebob Squarepants”.
LOL! Vampire Diaries is VERY important! At least to Kendall. Damon versus Stefan. Methinks...DAMON! Though Alaric can give him a run for his money in my book.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #540
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Mark is right... I'd go with Bond on that one.

Quote:
So, because of the fiasco the day before, we once again woke up at 4 am.
Dedication is waking up at 4 am... not once, but twice.

Quote:
Finally, I caught my lucky break. Tamron and the other guy came out and they set up the cameras right in front of me. Literally. Like, I was right in between their shoulders and perfectly visible.
You wanted some prime real estate, and you got it!

Quote:
I saw Lauren right in between them like she was going to be interviewed! I yelled “OH MY GOSH! James! Come here!” (James was in another room, playing on the computer; Marlene was still in bed.) I could not believe it! (That Lauren and Judy were on TV, not that Marlene was still in bed -- that I could believe!)

Quote:
Sadly, this is the only remaining documentation of this event (except for the NBC archives) -- I recorded it onto our DVR, but forgot to protect it and it got deleted when our DVR filled-up with other important recordings like “Vampire Diaries”, “Law and Order”, and “Spongebob Squarepants”.
Sorry, Lauren. I'm glad you were on the Today show, but I need to watch my Spongebob.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: