Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #481
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamassey1 View Post
I personally have no objection to the turn this report has taken. It helps fill the time until the next update.

Glen, you have lost control!

I can't comment on all the chatter but am at least caught up! Nice trip to the top of the rock, great update and is making me miss NYC.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #482
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Harbor Tour

Then, we took a taxi to Pier 62, called Chelsea Pier and we walked around for a while, because we were early, thank goodness.
We went into this building and we saw this picture of Charlie Chaplain. I love his movies so I just had to take a redneck photo of it.

This is a picture of the gardens around Chelsea pier.

This next one is of me on the pier overlooking the Hudson. We noticed the Statue of Liberty in the distance, but you can barely see it in the picture. I’ll give you a hint. It’s in between the two boats waaaay in the background.

The next one is of Hoboken, NJ on the other side of the Hudson.

There was a skate park there on the pier as well and we saw a man giving two younger boys some lessons. Pretty cool, no?

After that, we got in line for the cruise and I took some pictures of our boat from the outside. It was made of beautiful wood and it was just very cute.

I made sure to get it at every angle.

The inside had nice cushions and tables that were strapped down so they wouldn’t move when the boat rocked. This is Mom inside, and then me.

You can see to the left in that picture, there was another group. They brought a bunch of cheese and champagne and meats to eat. It seemed like they barely paid attention to the Statue at all. And they definitely didn’t need all that food. C’est la vie, I guess. I really liked this cruise because it was a small boat, but there weren’t many people on it. And, most of them sat outside most of the time, so a few of us had the inside all to ourselves. I hate feeling crowded so this was perfect. Oh, and we got a free drink with the admission. Mom had some wine and I had Coke. I just have to say, the one guy serving us was very good looking. Sigh…and he was probably too old for me, but it’s nice just to look.

I took this picture of a space shuttle on some sort of ship because you don’t see that every day.

Then I snapped some more of the inside of the boat, just so you could really get a feel for the coziness of it.

Then I got a picture of a water taxi. I just loved how it really looked like a taxi with the checkers and the bright yellow.

This place with the huge frame and nets is a driving range. It was originally destined for the Titanic when it made its voyage from Europe. So, now people play golf there.

continued in next post

Last edited by glennbo123; 08-08-2012 at 05:53 PM.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #483
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Harbor Tour - continued

continuation from previous post

I took a picture of Lackawanna because I’m a big fan of Cake Boss. For those of you who don’t know it’s a TV show about a guy, Buddy, and his family who make really awesome cakes. He opened up a new place at, you guessed it, Lackawanna.

Oh, and there was this one spot where the Captain told us Sully landed his plane. Sadly, you can’t really take a picture of that. But it was really cool to think about his bravery and cool and collected rescue mission. In this picture you can see the new building where they’re creating the new world trade center. It’s the biggest building in NYC, bigger than the Empire State. I know, so sad. You can tell which one because, for one, it’s the tallest, two it’s not finished, and three, there are two huge cranes on the top.

I liked this next building because it looks like a jukebox. I wish those things were still in style.

More buildings…

There’s Ellis Island. I think the Captain said about 1 in 3 Americans can trace their roots back to Ellis Island.

The moment of truth! The Statue of Liberty was finally in view.

There’s a picture of me with it, and then both of us.

My mom made that one her profile picture on Facebook, she loves it that much.

Some pictures of bridges that I’m having trouble remembering the names of. But they’re pretty, aren’t they?

This was just a huge smoke stack.

As we were passing by some helicopters were taking off on the NJ side and I got some nice ones of them in the air.

I just loved this sailboat and how it reminded me of the Pirates of the Caribbean.

I loved how this one building looked sort of Asian and like a honey comb in architecture. I’m not sure how else to describe it.

This one though, is one of my favorites. It’s like a patchwork of different colors and shapes of glass. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that it’s mostly blue.

Not long after that, we went back to port. We decided to walk all the way back to the hotel. We did go through some questionable areas, but we were fine. On 33rd Street and 11th Avenue there were a bunch of homeless people hanging out. So, if you’re ever in outreach in NYC, you know where to look.

For dinner, we ate at Fuji Sushi right near our hotel. It was around 6 when we ate. We had some Miso soup with seaweed and tofu in it. It was very tasty.

Oh, and since it was happy hour, Mom got a margarita. I had eel, salmon, yellowtail, tuna, and California rolls. Mom had spicy tuna and salmon and California rolls.

We were stuffed to the gills, pun intended, by the time we were done. I wasn’t sure if I would even finish all of mine, but I did. And right before we left, a guy delivered some orchids. I took a picture, because I just think they’re the most beautiful flowers there are.

After that, we went back to the Manhattan Club.

Mom had me go to the store to get more bagels for future breakfasts. Then we watched TV for a little while and went to bed.

Up next: Tomorrow’s another Today
Link to next chapter

Last edited by glennbo123; 08-15-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #484
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

2 Judy's! 1 in each post!

That boat tour is neat! I didn't get to see the Statue of Liberty until about 3 years ago...on a dinner cruise!
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #485
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
Nope, sorry! Only 99 more guesses to go.....
Somehow I had a feeling that no matter how I answered, this would be your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Oops. You caught me
Wasn't too difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBiscuit View Post
Oh, I can make that happen. Did I tell you we got Final Cut Pro last week? I have been doing this for days! I have wanted that danged program for 6 years now.
No, you failed to mention that. How awesome! It'd be great to do a slo-mo re-enactment of Rosie doing "the torpedo" with Chariots of Fire playing in the background.

Quote:
There was mention of a green screen...I have one we can use you know. And we could get you a "stunt double".
Yes, I remember the screenshots of your Intro to your vacation video. I was speechless.

Quote:
They reeled you right in on that one my friend.
Like a fish on a line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post

Glen, you have lost control!
No doubt. I had to post an update, just to get back on track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I can't comment on all the chatter but am at least caught up! Nice trip to the top of the rock, great update and is making me miss NYC.
Thanks Cynthia! And, oh, I just gave you some more to get caught up on.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #486
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

3 Judys -- actual in each post and 1 relection on the boat in the table with Lauren at the table
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #487
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Oh my goodness did I actually see one of your posts early enough to make a Judy guess????? 3 Judys!

Glad you guys enjoyed the cruise! Looks like it was a lot of fun on a beautiful day!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #488
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

3 Judys...2 portraits and one "hands" picture with the camera.
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #489
GreatBiscuit
Golden but never flaky

Another great update!

Am I the only one staring at the helicopter photo trying to decide if the blob on the left is a person plunging to their death or a blob of pigeon poo?

Rosie's slow mo trip and tumble would make for some entertaining video editing.

Hmmm...there is always photoshop and stop motion....

Note: No trees were killed in the posting of this reply, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Last edited by GreatBiscuit; 08-08-2012 at 06:45 PM.
GreatBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #490
marvali
DIS Veteran

3 Judy's. The two obvious ones, and her hair in the bottom left corner of the space shuttle picture.

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
marvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #491
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

Tell Lauren she got some fabulous pictures. That boat really was pretty. I also noticed she appreciates a nice looking guy too. Have you shown her Pat's story?

Lauren does a great job of narrating, I felt like I was there. Did she say anything about the size of Lady Liberty. Michelle thought she would be bigger especially after seeing GhostBusters II.

Sounds like they had a very full day.

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
vamassey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #492
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

I am going with 4 judy's the 2 obvious ones , then the hair and the hand !!!!Gotta be different !!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #493
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Somehow I had a feeling that no matter how I answered, this would be your

No, you failed to mention that. How awesome! It'd be great to do a slo-mo re-enactment of Rosie doing "the torpedo" with Chariots of Fire playing in the background.

:
I am NOT going to repeat that , or shall I rephrase that I have NO intention of WVAH repeating that, butttt we all lnow me anything is possible !!
Lauren GREAT update , we have a LACKAWANA near Buffalo !!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #494
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post

I took this picture of a space shuttle on some sort of ship because you don’t see that every day.

when i saw this picture i have seen it before but from a different angle...jenny105 (i think that is who had this picture) was on a disney cruise out of NYC and had a picture on the disney cruise ship which is on the left hand side taking a picture of the space shuttle on the boat.

pretty neat.

good update...and since everyone else guessed...im going with the 2 obvious ones and ill throw in a few more for good measure. 3 with reflcections or partials.

for a total of 5 judys

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #495
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
2 Judy's! 1 in each post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
3 Judys -- actual in each post and 1 relection on the boat in the table with Lauren at the table
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Oh my goodness did I actually see one of your posts early enough to make a Judy guess????? 3 Judys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
3 Judys...2 portraits and one "hands" picture with the camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
3 Judy's. The two obvious ones, and her hair in the bottom left corner of the space shuttle picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
I am going with 4 judy's the 2 obvious ones , then the hair and the hand !!!!Gotta be different !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
...and since everyone else guessed...im going with the 2 obvious ones and ill throw in a few more for good measure. 3 with reflcections or partials.

for a total of 5 judys
Good guesses all! The Rules Committee has reviewed all of the photographs in this chapter very carefully, and has even gone so far as to re-enact the boat trip with a full-size replica of the Manhattan (the boat they toured on) with James and Marlene playing the parts of other tour patrons and Swiffer as the Statue of Liberty. With the assistance of CSI personnel, we lined-up all of the angles of observation, analyzed blood splatter (not sure how that got in there ), and ran DNA tests, just to name a few.

It turns out that the correct answer is....2. The reflection in the table, the hands on a camera, the tuft of hair, all belonged to someone else or weren't a person at all, in the case of the table reflection.

So, this round goes to Kelly!!!

Updated Scores:
Jenn (elphie101) - 1 Judy-sighting win, First Subscriber Honors!
Tanya - 1 Judy-sighting win
Pat - 1 Judy-sighting win
Rosie - 1 Judy-sighting win
Marvin - 3 Judy-sighting wins
Kelly - 1 Judy-sighting win

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: