Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #2356
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyliongirl02 View Post
Love the arty pictures! If we go in September I'm hoping to finally learn how to use my DSLR that I got for Christmas to take some arty pics myself!
I hope you do get to go in September, and that you do learn to use that DSLR! Read the manual and take some practice shots ahead of time, and then go have fun on a little photo tour when you're there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
OK, we're going to try it this way. Still need to catch up on some past posts, but I"ll work on keeping up from here forward and go back when I can can.
Works for me.

Quote:
Had to read the Boma chapter(s). It is my favorite restaurant at Disney, with unique, yummy options.
Ours too. I agree! I always try to arrive hungry, and leave stuffed!

Quote:
I am very sad that it didn't make the list for the very short Disney portion of our upcoming trip.
Aw, dang.

Quote:
I appreciate all of your pictures and descriptions. Looks like you did a pretty good job, even without the notes.
Thanks! Yeah, I don't think there was too much that I couldn't piece together from pictures and menus and stuff.

Quote:
Nice pictures of the resort at night. I especially like the one of the fireplace.
Thanks Dee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Probably not THAT bad but I may pay for it in other ways. I would also have spend an hour with the chef and afterwards he may just want to spit in my food anyway.
No, I don't think so. They probably welcome an opportunity to get out of the kitchen for a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
BOO! That seems the only way I can get any points lately....
Aw, hang in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnol View Post
I lovd you detailed report on Boma. I'm a little bit sorry we skipped it last time. But I think, I liked breakfast there even more. But I would need to go back to the old TR to check on that....
Unfortunately, I've never had breakfast there so I can't compare. But we're not real big breakfast people...we're usually just trying to eat something quick so we can get to the parks. I'd love to try that juice at Boma though, that's for sure!
glennbo123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #2357
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Whoa! I got WAY behind again! Stupid real life with it's real-life issues.
No worries Roni...I'm glad that you were able to get back on.

Quote:
I am totally caught up now. I loved reading about Boma - we have only made 2 WDW trips (set for 3 in August, and of course, one DLR trip, one cruise, and another scheduled for August ), and Boma made the list both of those trips - LOVE it. We aren't going this year, and I have to admit to feeling a bit sad about that. I love that place!
I agree with you, it's our favorite. There're so many places I want to try though, we'll have to see if we have to sacrifice it next time to make room on the agenda. But in our current plan, that's still a couple of summers away, so lots of time for that to get worked out!

Quote:
I also wanted to say that the PP photos that you got with your folks in MK are absolutely beautiful. You will be so thankful to have those over the years. They are priceless - you are very lucky that they would make this kind of trp with you and enjoy it. Thank you for sharing them.
Aw thanks. That's very nice of you to say. Yes, they were very thankful that we invited them along...even though they didn't get around as quickly as most other park-goers, they were great sports and made every effort to get to as many rides and attractions as they could.

Quote:
Too funny- your comments about your camera on my PTR and mine here.
We visited a friend's pool today and I tested mine out...it seemed to work great! I got some underwater photos and the camera still works, so that's success.

Quote:
I got a Canon EoS Rebel T3. I took it to Mexico and had it out one afternoon, but with all the sand and water, it spent most of the time in the safe. I took it out for a photo tour one afternoon, but only on Automatic.
I looked at the specs of the T3 and it sounds like an upgraded version of what I have. Yeah, most of my shots are with Automatic, nothin wrong with that. I set it to Shutter Priority for my redneck ride pictures, to make sure that the shutter stays open long enough to get a good picture. And of course my nighttime pictures are Shutter Priority also.

Quote:
I have just started playing with some of the settings.
I think I read the manual about 3 times. I probably need a refresher on some things now though.

Quote:
I have 3 weeks to Universal/Disney and still trying to figure out how often the big girl camera will make it to the parks. The thing I really love about the waterproofs is not worrying about babying them or getting wet. I'm not looking forward to needing a locker.
If I remember correctly, Universal is a little more strict than Disney about taking bags on rides? As in not letting you take bags on rides? I just took James and a couple of friends to Six Flags in NJ and they wouldn't allow even a little drawstring bag on one of their smaller coasters. We had to rent a locker and then we ditched the bag at the car when we went out for lunch. What a pain.

Quote:
I'm caught up on your MK day!!!

Quote:
"Rain Capes!" Love it!
Da, da, da, daaaaaaah!

Quote:
Also love the photos on Main Street with your parents, just your parents and you two. Really nice shots.
Thanks Dee.

Quote:
Good for your parents for braving Space Mountain. Sorry your dad did not fare well. How did your mom do?
She did just fine! Enjoyed it, and was ready to try the next thing.

Quote:
The dwarf pictures with your parents are cool!

Quote:
We had same reaction with Ben with the stretching room- the screaming really bothered him. On a couple of trips, we asked the CMs if we could skip the stretching room and they accommodated us. Now we can do the full experience, though.
Oh man, I never even thought of asking to skip the stretching room....that never occurred to me! <smacks head> It's funny though, how that is scarier than the actual ride.

Quote:
So you have managed to avoid Pecos Bill all this time? I am not a huge fan. Hecticity is the perfect word for the experience. The boys like PB, but Columbia Harbor House is my go-to.
Yes, I'd managed to avoid it up to this point. We've been to CHH a couple of times, and like it...I just wanted to try something new. But I think we'll go back to CHH, we like it much better!

Quote:
Love the pictures of the crowds from the BTM queue- and the great pictures on the ride.
Thank you, thank you.

Quote:
You had the best place for the Speedway- taking pictures and not on the actual ride!

Quote:
for more Space Mountain.

I love how your group is able to break off into smaller subsets to have different experiences.
It seemed like the logical thing to do, but yes, I'm glad that no one got bent out of shape by that.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #2358
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Loved your night time shots !! Especially the South Carolina reference !!
Thank you! I'm kind of surprised that I knew what was on the SC flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Aww - I love Kidani. It is so peaceful there. We stayed at Jambo on our last trip and I liked being close to the Mara and the main gift shop, but you can't beat the extra room in the Kidani villas. We love AKL.
My home away from home!

That main gift shop is awesome, so big and so much stuff to peruse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
Hey Glenn!

Yes, you're seeing things correctly. I've finally hauled myself over here!
Camille!

Quote:
Great updates, (I'm all caught up now) and as usual you always take such great photos of your vacation.
Thank you! I enjoy taking them, and sharing them with you folks.

Quote:
I can finally report I've tried a Dole Whip, and yum!! To be honest I'm not sure which I got, it was vanilla soft serve in pineapple juice. I think if I had gotten both as pineapple it would have been too much for me.
Yeah, I can see how it might be too much, too sweet...but I can handle it!

Quote:
Great to see your nephew there.
It's kind of funny how they live fairly close, but don't get there very often. We're glad that they can join us, and it worked out great that they could just spend the night in our suite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Wood that be another Dinasaur joke/crack, Mr Elous !!!
I think he was just saying that you hadn't won a round in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Mmmn Boma!

Oh I love those soups. Love love love love them!

I would love some right now.
Oh I know. Andy was saying that it's not a good move to waste money and appetite on the soups (and salad), but at Boma they're so good, and so different than what you can get anywhere else, that I just have to!

Quote:
Poor Lauren, I can see where she'd be a bit annoyed...bummed probably more like it but yes, hard to compete.
I think the card that she got when we checked into Vero was the only real acknowledgement. Yeah, bummed...and a little miffed.

Quote:
Nice nighttime shots.
Thank Cynthia.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #2359
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
No worries Roni...I'm glad that you were able to get back on. :good vibes

I agree with you, it's our favorite. There're so many places I want to try though, we'll have to see if we have to sacrifice it next time to make room on the agenda. But in our current plan, that's still a couple of summers away, so lots of time for that to get worked out!

Aw thanks. That's very nice of you to say. Yes, they were very thankful that we invited them along...even though they didn't get around as quickly as most other park-goers, they were great sports and made every effort to get to as many rides and attractions as they could.
We often travel with my mom - mostly smaller road trip. But she did go with us on our first WDW trip. She has a lot of mobility issues, and it is challenging for her to go places and do things. I wasn't sure whether she actually enjoyed the trip while we were on it (which, I'll admit stressed me out a little), but you know what? She still talks about that trip - about seeing her granddaughter at BBB, eating at Chef Mickey's, etc. I'm so glad that I convinced her to go with us! So I know how much you must have enjoyed having your folks go with you.
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #2360
MEK
DIS Veteran

Yeah!!!!! I got another Judy sighting! I rock.

Thank you for documenting your Boma journey so thoroughly. I must admit, I like your left to right (or was it right to left?) is something I have never tried. I like it.

Too funny about Lauren being upset no one recognizing her graduation. I have to say that when Denny and I wore our anniversary buttons we felt like celebrities. They were all over us.

Beautiful pictures post dinner. Love them!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #2361
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Hi Glen! I'm glad James made a recovery so he could participate in the Boma chapter with all of you! Good job on managing to sample so many things! You have your Boma procedure down! Another cute pic of Gram and Pappy. Too bad Lauren is getting left out.
I love the night shots you took. Those little alcoves with laterns give the building such an interesting character.
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #2362
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

The carrot/ginger soup looked good. I might try making it one day.
Nice Boma pics.
Great pics of KIdani.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #2363
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

from your pics looks like there is more salad type items than meat type items is that correct there?

if so it might not move up on my list, need more meat options.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #2364
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I looked at the specs of the T3 and it sounds like an upgraded version of what I have. Yeah, most of my shots are with Automatic, nothin wrong with that. I set it to Shutter Priority for my redneck ride pictures, to make sure that the shutter stays open long enough to get a good picture. And of course my nighttime pictures are Shutter Priority also.

I think I read the manual about 3 times. I probably need a refresher on some things now though.

If I remember correctly, Universal is a little more strict than Disney about taking bags on rides? As in not letting you take bags on rides? I just took James and a couple of friends to Six Flags in NJ and they wouldn't allow even a little drawstring bag on one of their smaller coasters. We had to rent a locker and then we ditched the bag at the car when we went out for lunch. What a pain.
I am still trying to get comfortable with the Canon- I am taking teekathepony's excellent photography tutorial in her Pre Trip Report and I have purchased and read a little bit from the "For Dummies" book I purchased for the camera.

That's good to hear that a lot of your photos are Automatic. I am really struggling about what to do about cameras on my upcoming trip- when to bring out the Canon DSLR and when to use the two point and shoot water resistant cameras.

You are correct about bag restrictions at Universal (that's why I rock a fanny pack there and my P&S can fit in there). But even if you have the camera on your person on the rides, they are a bunch of camera Nazis about photos on the rides.

Jurassic Park- "You, in the third row. Put your camera down"
Rip Saw Falls- "No pictures!"

and more.

Good thing I have selective hearing!!! It didn't occur to me that the bright yellow Fuji would be hard to conceal, but I still have my silver Panasonic stealth camera.
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #2365
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Aw, hang in there.
Yeah Pat, at least you can say you are keeping pace with...............Rosie and Dan!!!

Quote:
Thank you! I'm kind of surprised that I knew what was on the SC flag.
The SC Flag has a Palmetto tree, which is indigenous from South Carolina all the way down to the Florida Keys, so this may very well be the same type. Cool that you made that comparison!!!

The Palmetto tree has a lot to do with why the United States is a country today...........

Quote:
I think he was just saying that you hadn't won a round in a while.
Well, you said it a little nicer, but still great job of

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
from your pics looks like there is more salad type items than meat type items is that correct there?

Boma has a great meat station, and if I remember correctly most of the choices at least are wood-fired.

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
marvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #2366
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post

Boma has a great meat station, and if I remember correctly most of the choices at least are wood-fired.
wood fired you say, well then it will keep its spot on the list

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #2367
Millie12591
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think there's a bit of Texan in you after all, Dan.

Un-Tangled....How I Got My Life Back-PTR, You Just Lost 80 Pounds-TR
DisneyLand 1989-twice-Nov.1995, Nov.1998, Nov.2001
DisneyWorld-May'07-Stayed @ POP, July'08-Off Property, May'10-Stayed @ CSR, May '13- Stayed @ POP,AofA,CSR & POR-All in one trip!
Millie12591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #2368
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Love your Boma update, Glenn. We go every year...but for breakfast. I'm not sure I would like dinner as I'm very fussy, but I know it is very popoular.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #2369
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We often travel with my mom - mostly smaller road trip. But she did go with us on our first WDW trip. She has a lot of mobility issues, and it is challenging for her to go places and do things. I wasn't sure whether she actually enjoyed the trip while we were on it (which, I'll admit stressed me out a little), but you know what? She still talks about that trip - about seeing her granddaughter at BBB, eating at Chef Mickey's, etc. I'm so glad that I convinced her to go with us! So I know how much you must have enjoyed having your folks go with you.
I think my parents, and it sounds like your mom, know that they don't get around real fast and so are very thankful that they were thought of to be included in the trip. They definitely enjoyed themselves and treasured their time with us and especially their grandkids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Yeah!!!!! I got another Judy sighting! I rock.
You go girl.

Quote:
Thank you for documenting your Boma journey so thoroughly. I must admit, I like your left to right (or was it right to left?) is something I have never tried. I like it.
It sure does make it easier to remember where you left off!

Quote:
Too funny about Lauren being upset no one recognizing her graduation. I have to say that when Denny and I wore our anniversary buttons we felt like celebrities. They were all over us.
I think she would've been fine if she just got a mention or two, but nothing the whole week at WDW. She got a card when we checked-into Vero and that was it.

Quote:
Beautiful pictures post dinner. Love them!
Thanks! They're right up your alley!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Hi Glen! I'm glad James made a recovery so he could participate in the Boma chapter with all of you!
Thanks, yeah me too. His stomach bothers him every so often...it was fortunate that he was able to recover in time.

Quote:
Good job on managing to sample so many things! You have your Boma procedure down!
I do! I try to sample as much as possible! (And arrive hungry!)

Quote:
Another cute pic of Gram and Pappy. Too bad Lauren is getting left out.
Thanks. Yeah, but she was at DisneyWorld so it wasn't too awful bad.

Quote:
I love the night shots you took. Those little alcoves with laterns give the building such an interesting character.
Thank you. With the dark wood and warm colors I think Kidani has a lot of beautful spots, especially at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
The carrot/ginger soup looked good. I might try making it one day.
In my trip report before this one, we ate at Boma with a friend of Judy's and I turned her on to the carrot-ginger soup; she'd never had it before. We heard from her later that she'd made it at home about 3 or 4 times in the first month after getting home from the trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Nice Boma pics.
Great pics of KIdani.
Thanks Scott.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #2370
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Marv beat me to the reply, but I agree with him, they have lots of meat offered. It's along the far wall, and there's usually a bigger line to go through that section, but yeah, that's where I got the ribs, chicken, salmon, and the prime rib. There may have been others, I don't remember. A chef is there cutting the prime rib for you and he'll give you whatever you want -- if you want a piece that's more rare or well-done. I should've taken a picture of this section of the buffet, but it's always more busy than the other sections and had people in the way so I just didn't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
Thanks for helping to answer this question Marv. We wouldn't want Dan to think he wouldn't get any meat at Boma!

Quote:
You've gotta try it at least once.

Quote:
I think there's a bit of Texan in you after all, Dan.
Great smiley Camille!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: