Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #2101
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Rain superheroes visit the Magic Kingdom - part 1

Before we start the retelling of the next day of the trip, I need to go back and clear up the mystery of Lauren's entrée at the Flying Fish. After talking with Lauren (which maybe I should have done while writing that chapter, but nevertheless), what happened was she ordered the scallop dish, the same as James. When it arrived, she discovered that it included green peas, which she's allergic to. We'd forgotten to discuss any allergy issues with our server when ordering. So, he took it back and replaced the peas with macaroni and cheese and gave her scallops on the side. James did not share any scallops after all. There you have it, the mystery item was macaroni and cheese.

On with the next day of the trip, which was Wednesday, June 27th. My notes say that I was up at 6:45, but having added a couple more visitors the previous night (Judy's sister and nephew) we had a whole lot of people to cycle through the whole bathroom and breakfast routine, so we didn't make it to the bus stop until around 8:20am. Before we left the suite, Gram asked if we'd need our rain capes again today, and I was like, "what are we, rain superheroes?"

Out at the bus stop it started to sprinkle, so Gram and Poppy donned their "rain capes".

The girls are laughing because it seemed silly do don the "rain capes"...the bus stop area is covered, and who knew if it'd still be raining by the time we got to the Magic Kingdom? Anyway, we didn't have very good bus mojo this morning and a Magic Kingdom bus didn't show up for almost half an hour. But, the silver lining was that there were actually 2 MK buses that pulled up, and we got on the first one. Once we got underway, the driver asked if anyone needed to stop at Jambo House because if not, he was going to skip it and just go on to the Magic Kingdom, since the bus was full. Fortunately, no one was going to Jambo House and we got the express to Magic Kingdom, arriving at about 9:15.

My notes next say "James and Poppy puddle", and I have no idea what that was about. James doesn't remember either. So, feel free to let your imaginations run wild with that one.

As you can see, it was one of those mornings when you have to decide which is worse: the aggravation of the drizzle, or the aggravation of wearing a rain cape.

Once inside the gates, Lauren and Marlene took our tickets in order to run and get some Space Mountain fastpasses for us. Judy, Gram, and Poppy went to explore some of the shops on Main Street, and I took James to sign-up for Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom (SotMK) at the Firehouse. I'm not sure where my SiL and nephew went, perhaps with Lauren.

James had to wait for some other kids getting their cards, and in the meantime Lauren came back with the fastpasses. I met her on Main Street to get them. Pretty good times considering that we entered the park well after rope-drop.

She and Marlene took off to hit some rides after giving me the fastpasses, and I realized that with all of us dispersed, I'd blown my opportunity for a big group photopass picture on Main Street. Oh well.

Here are some pictures of James getting instruction on how to play Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. If you haven't experienced or read about this yet, it's kind of like the Agent P (formerly KimPossible) missions at Epcot. There are portals around the park that blend in with the scenery. They might be a shop window or a fireplace or who-knows-what, but the players receive a map of their locations. The player unlocks the portal with their Sorcerer Key card, and then battles a Disney villain by using spell cards that they receive when they sign-up. With the added element of the spell cards, it's kind of like Agent P meets Pokemon.

James shows some nice spell-casting technique.

Later in the trip report I'll have more pictures of James playing the game around the park.

After James got his SotMK cards, we went back to Main Street to find Judy, Gram, and Poppy. I took a picture to give you a sense of the crowds. It was pretty busy today.

I took James down that little alley that I visited on our last trip where you can hear the sounds of music lessons coming from the second floor windows. But actually, what I think he's doing here is visiting the first SotMK portal, which assigns you your first mission.

James went off to join Lauren and Marlene, and I still had trouble getting the older crowd together at the same place at the same time. But eventually I did, and even though we were a smaller group than what we arrived with, we posed for some Main Street/Castle photopass pictures.

Then the photographer took some shots of just Gram and Poppy.

continued in next post
Link to next post

Last edited by glennbo123; 04-26-2013 at 11:20 AM.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #2102
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Rain superheroes visit the Magic Kingdom - part 2

continued from previous post

The photopass photographer didn't let Judy and I off the hook; we had to pose for some "couples-only" pictures too. Please try to ignore the person bending over behind us. (Now I've spoiled it -- it'll be impossible for you to ignore!)

It's nothing that a little cropping can't take care of.

It's times like this that you find out how hard it is to kiss and smile for the camera at the same time.

By the time our photo session was over we were within our Space Mountain fastpass window, so we met up with the rest of the crew and got in line. I didn't know if Gram and Poppy were going to try it, but they thought they'd give it a shot. I wasn't sure if that was a good idea after Poppys experience on Star Tours earlier in the week, but he'd been on this ride before, a decade or so ago. While in line, we talked about how this ride was a favorite memory (or at least a favorite story) for Poppy from our Christmas 2001 trip: He loves to tell of how he saw the signs that said to remove your eyeglasses, but he figured that he'd just "snug them up a bit". By the end of the ride his glasses were out to the end of his nose because they slid down and he was too scared to let go of the handles to push them back up.

Flash-forward to 2012 and according to their "in-flight" picture, they were doing pretty well at the start.

Marlene and I opted for a "dumb" look for our picture, which fortunately isn't too much of a stretch for me. (I know someone will comment on that, so I might as well beat you to the punch.) It looks like they caught Judy mid-blink, so I'm sure that she loves this picture.

Lauren rode into space with her cousin and aunt.

Of course as always, I tried to take pictures of myself on the TV screens on the way out, but only met with marginal, blurry, success.

Upon reaching the exit, we found that Poppy didn't handle his space travel very well. He felt terrible and needed to find a bench for a while. We gave him some water and some time to recover. That would be his last "adventurous" ride of the trip.

Up next: What youve all been waiting for -- New Fantasyland construction pictures from June 2012! Very timely!
Link to next chapter

Last edited by glennbo123; 05-14-2013 at 11:26 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #2103
nodnol
Mouseketeer

16 Judys, post 1 and 2

nodnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #2105
nodnol
Mouseketeer

Okay, now I've even read the update

I hate weather like this, but most people seem to have opted for no ponchos so I guess the drizzle was not too bad.

Great PP pictures, I especially like the big on of the four of you!
Poppy doesn't look happy on the Space Mountain photo, I'm sorry he didn't feel well. It's sad to realize one can't tolerate a ride anymore, even though it was okay before. I had the same problem on Space Mountain in DLP (which is a completely different ride!!!!), when we were there for the first time, I even rode it three times in a row during EMH, we didn't even have to leave the vehicles. I loved it. The last time we were there I rode it only once and had headache for the rest of the day. And I am quite a bit younger than Poppy...

Old 04-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #2106
nodnol
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
To appease the sticklers out there Katharina, how many in each post?
6 in post 1 and 10 in post 2

I was actually lurking on the disboards for the whole afternoon (in Germany), because I was bored at work. Not that I had nothing to do, but I was completely alone, everybody had already left and that was not very motivating. But there were no updates whatsoever on any of the threads I follow. After coming home I just wanted to check something on the computer before starting some cleanig or shopping, thought I might check the disboards as well...

Old 04-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #2107
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Great update, Glenn. I hate those kinds of days where you "put the poncho on, take the poncho off."

Great photopass pictures of the four of you and then as individual couples. But where is gram and poppy's kissing photo?

Sorry poppy didn't handle Space Mountain very well. I'm with him...I need a bench after I ride it.

RIP Genie
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #2108
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnol View Post
6 in post 1 and 10 in post 2
That is correct! There was one in the first post that was kind of hard to find...I'm surprised that the first person to respond found it. But good job Katharina!

Quote:
I was actually lurking on the disboards for the whole afternoon (in Germany), because I was bored at work. Not that I had nothing to do, but I was completely alone, everybody had already left and that was not very motivating. But there were no updates whatsoever on any of the threads I follow. After coming home I just wanted to check something on the computer before starting some cleanig or shopping, thought I might check the disboards as well...
Marv always claims the he "just happened to check" when I post an update too. I know what you mean though -- late in the morning here, there was no activity on any of my subscribed threads.

Updated scores:
Marvin - 14 Judy-sighting wins, 7 Eagle Eye points
Pat - 6 Judy-sighting wins, 2 Eagle Eye points
Mark - 4 Judy-sighting wins, 1 Eagle Eye point
Dee - 4 Judy-sighting wins, 1 Eagle Eye point
Rosie - 4 Judy-sighting wins, 2 Eagle Eye point
Dan - 3 Judy-sighting wins, 3 Eagle Eye points
Kelly - 3 Judy-sighting wins
Katharina - 3 Judy-sighting wins
Magdalene - 2 Judy-sighting wins
Jenn (elphie101) - 1 Judy-sighting win, First Subscriber Honors!
Tanya - 1 Judy-sighting win
Molly - 1 Judy-sighting win
Kathy - 1 Judy-sighting win
Mary Ellen - 1 Judy-sighting win
MissLiz - 1 Judy-sighting win
sesame_123 - 1 Eagle Eye point
Old 04-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #2109
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Okay, now I've even read the update

I hate weather like this, but most people seem to have opted for no ponchos so I guess the drizzle was not too bad.
Yes, not too bad, and getting better as the day went on. It was overcast though, so even though there were clouds, it was hard not to squint for the pictures.

Quote:
Great PP pictures, I especially like the big on of the four of you!
Thanks! I like that one too.

Quote:
Poppy doesn't look happy on the Space Mountain photo, I'm sorry he didn't feel well. It's sad to realize one can't tolerate a ride anymore, even though it was okay before. I had the same problem on Space Mountain in DLP (which is a completely different ride!!!!), when we were there for the first time, I even rode it three times in a row during EMH, we didn't even have to leave the vehicles. I loved it. The last time we were there I rode it only once and had headache for the rest of the day. And I am quite a bit younger than Poppy...
Yeah, thrill rides aren't really his thing. Wow, that's quite a difference between a couple of visits to DLP for you. (And I see that you have another visit scheduled soon! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Great update, Glenn. I hate those kinds of days where you "put the poncho on, take the poncho off."
Exactly. I opted to just leave it off and deal with the moisture. And then there was the rain to consider too.

Quote:
Great photopass pictures of the four of you and then as individual couples. But where is gram and poppy's kissing photo?
Ha ha, you're the queen of these lovey-dovey photopass pictures! Don't worry, they'll get some later in the trip (Epcot day).

Quote:
Sorry poppy didn't handle Space Mountain very well. I'm with him...I need a bench after I ride it.
I figured he wouldn't enjoy it, but I didn't expect him to feel ill. Don't worry, he sprang back pretty quickly.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #2110
nodnol
Mouseketeer

Quote:
That is correct! There was one in the first post that was kind of hard to find...I'm surprised that the first person to respond found it. But good job Katharina!
Only eleven more points and I can beat Marv!

Quote:
Wow, that's quite a difference between a couple of visits to DLP for you. (And I see that you have another visit scheduled soon! )
I think it is not only me but also the ride - a lot of people complain, there is some talk about new seats and maybe even new vehicles, so I hope I'll be able to ride it again sometime!
Yes, first visit to a Disney park with my husband. I'm very nervous, on the one hand I am sure he it good "disney material", but on the other hand DLP is just not as entrancing as DL and WDW and we will be there in the summer with the crowds...

Old 04-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #2111
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

First off, way to go on the win, so sorry to see marv didnt win. and im sure we wont have to read about some injustice he will come up with after he comments

Quote:
My notes next say "James and Poppy puddle", and I have no idea what that was about. James doesn't remember either. So, feel free to let your imaginations run wild with that one.
im going with the story that since they had there "rain caps" on, that they jumped in a puddle on purpose not realizing that poppys rain cap didnt go all the way around his shoes and he got his socks all wet.

Quote:
I took James down that little alley that I visited on our last trip where you can hear the sounds of music lessons coming from the second floor windows. But actually, what I think he's doing here is visiting the first SotMK portal, which assigns you your first mission.
looks like you start in different areas, our cards told us to start at the window in adventure land.

Quote:
The photopass photographer didn't let Judy and I off the hook; we had to pose for some "couples-only" pictures too. Please try to ignore the person bending over behind us. (Now I've spoiled it -- it'll be impossible for you to ignore!)
Looks sort of like that person is tackling the other person next to them.

Quote:
It's times like this that you find out how hard it is to kiss and smile for the camera at the same time.
it is the weirdest but funniest pictures they make you take.

Quote:
Marlene and I opted for a "dumb" look for our picture, which fortunately isn't too much of a stretch for me. (I know someone will comment on that, so I might as well beat you to the punch.) It looks like they caught Judy mid-blink, so I'm sure that she loves this picture.
as soon as i read the dumb look for the picture i had many comments, but since you went there first.

ill just say at least you accepting the first step, "admitting" you look dumb.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #2112
Elianor
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the update. It's a dreary cold wet day here in Missouri and I needed a little Disney pick me up!
Elianor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #2113
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Before we start the retelling of the next day of the trip, I need to go back and clear up the mystery of Lauren's entrée at the Flying Fish. After talking with Lauren (which maybe I should have done while writing that chapter, but nevertheless), what happened was she ordered the scallop dish, the same as James. When it arrived, she discovered that it included green peas, which she's allergic to. We'd forgotten to discuss any allergy issues with our server when ordering. So, he took it back and replaced the peas with macaroni and cheese and gave her scallops on the side. James did not share any scallops after all. There you have it, the mystery item was macaroni and cheese.
AHA - The dreaded peas Good to know in case I happen to order the scallops.

I don't mind getting the chef out for the sit downs but I always feel bad doing so. Nothing will really be life threatening and all I need is an ingredient list. Most listen to me and let me decide and some just tell me I can't have certain things.

CS is another thing- It seems really hit or miss there sometimes.

WHoo Hoo Katharina - Good Job ont he Judys. That what I get for being out running errands this afternoon.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #2114
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

I agree with Katarina !!! And dang it 3 hours to early for me !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #2115
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Great PP pix of all 4 of you and the couples too!!ow for the James and Poppy Puddle !!! Dis they both not make it to the bathroom Or did 1 of them and then blame the other As for the "Dumb " look I will leave that to Marv , heck he didn't get a point so he needs some consolation
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: