Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #2041
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

The Flying Fish - part 1

Okay, let's get to our next chapter, where I get to describe our experience at a new restaurant for us: The Flying Fish. (I tried to come up with a joke referencing Lew Zealand, like "Lew Zealands favorite restaurant!" But to get it, youd have to know that Lew Zealand was a character on The Muppet Show who had a stage act throwing boomerang fish (hence, flying fish). I know at least one DISer would've gotten it, but it seemed like a stretch, so I'm sorry, no Lew Zealand jokes will be used in this chapter. As long as you don't count this long diatribe as a joke, which I know most of you won't. Even though you should.) Anyway, I was really excited to try this restaurant. It was a little bit of a splurge for us, and was intended to be our special dinner of the week. If you recall from the survey I conducted during the pre-Trip Report, The Flying Fish won the spot for this meal over Sanaa, Jiko, and Ohana.

After our day at the Animal Kingdom, we'd come back to the suite, relaxed a bit and watched some critters out on the savanna. Our reservation was for 7 oclock, and by 5:45 we were rested up, cleaned up, gussied up, and out at the bus stop. We caught a bus to the Animal Kingdom, then switched to a Boardwalk bus to get to our destination.

James grabbed his favorite seat on a Disney bus and soon had a co-rider next to him. I took this picture because it reminded me of a similar picture I took a couple of trips ago, when it appeared that he was spilling all of our family secrets to the lady sitting next to him. If you remember that picture, then you are officially a Disney-trip-report-aholic.

We were soon traipsing down the steps next to the Boardwalk sign that Ive seen in so many trip reports (because Im a Disney-trip-report-aholic).

We actually arrived at the Flying Fish about 15 minutes early.

Inside the restaurant. I didn't know it yet, but we'd be seated at the round table on the left side of the picture. If I had known, I could've encouraged the people to chew faster, or at least started bussing their plates and silverware.

Some of our crew found a spot to sit down in front of the window. I'm not sure if James got scrunched or what.

Since we were early and they weren't able to seat us right away, I went back outside and took some pictures of the Boardwalk.

The Beach Club, across the lagoon.

I came back inside and asked where the restroom was. I was a little surprised to find out that the restaurant shares restroom facilities with Seashore Sweets, next door. It was fine, I'm not complaining...I just didnt expect it. You don't have to go outside to get there, there's an inside connecting hallway between the Flying Fish and Seashore Sweets.

Back at the waiting area, I took the opportunity to create an incredibly detailed trip report review by taking a picture of the floor.

And if you take a picture of the floor, you can't leave out the ceiling.

By 7:15, we were seated and I was taking this picture of the menu, to help me with this trip report.

Our server was Chris, and he brought out some free bread. Jim Gaffigan quotes soon filled the air: "Ooo, we should have bread at home! We've gotta get the recipe for bread."
"Yeah, can I have some more of that free bread? Can you cancel my entrée? I'm just gonna load up on the bread."
"Are there other free things here? I prefer the free stuff more."

But it was pretty good bread, and it was hard not to fill up on it. In fact, I did have a couple of slices.

For an appetizer, we ordered the cheese platter. It's not a lot of food to share among seven of us, but it was more about the taste buds than filling tummies, and we all got to taste most everything. They were all really good.

I took a picture of the cheese descriptions, which is now saving me from typing.

Here, Marlene is cutting...no, let me rephrase that. Here, Lauren is passing the cheese plate to Marlene.

Gram and Poppy. Ready to try the cheeses.

Judy

James

I noticed that the picture turned out blurry, and by the time I set up for another one he went into "Pensive James". I think that it turned out pretty nice though.

Enough pictures of my table-mates, lets get to the food, huh?!

continued in next post
Link to next post

Last edited by glennbo123; 04-11-2013 at 12:51 PM.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #2042
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

The Flying Fish - part 2

continued from previous post

I ordered one of the Flying Fish's signature dishes: the potato-wrapped red snapper. Oh. My. Gosh. Was this good! Maybe one of the best meals of my life. Seriously awesome. The potato crust gave it a savory, fried taste, but different than just a batter would be. And I love potatoes, so this was right in my comfort zone. It's sitting on a bed of leeks and a red wine and butter reduction, and together they were all just pure heaven.

James raved about how his scallops were perfectly cooked and begged me to take a picture. I think he had already given a couple of them to Lauren, at this point.

Marlene got the local Cape Canaveral Wahoo and said that it was wonderful.

Judy got the tuna, and loved it.

Poppy, like Marlene, got the Wahoo.

And Lauren's plate. I'm sorry, but I have no idea what this is. Great food review, huh? There are a couple of scallops there, courtesy of James, though.

I don't know what Gram got and don't have a picture, so it was probably a duplicate of what someone else chose.

James put some of the yummy stuff from his plate onto a slice of that free bread they gave us.

There was cooking going on, and if you sat at the counter, you had a front-row seat.

When I finished licking my plate clean, I had time to photograph the decorative light fixtures that were overhead.

Overall assessment: We all loved our meals at The Flying Fish. We'll definitely have to return sometime.

We asked our server, Chris, to take a group picture for us and he was more than happy to oblige. I used this one in the Introductory post for this trip report.

At this point, I was thinking of getting this slow-moving crew headed in the direction of the International Gateway so that we could see IllumiNations, so I asked for the check. Chris kind of got a frightened look on his face and asked me if we could wait just a few moments. After a little bit, he brought Gram and Poppy some special desserts.

One dessert, was a PB&J crème brulee.

The other, was a banana napoleon.

You know how in Africa at Animal Kingdom, there are always buzzards flying overhead? Yeah, well that can happen at the Flying Fish too. Case in point:

I confess that I stood around eating a bite or two also. Such a classy way to dine in a nice place like that.

continued in next post
Link to next post

Last edited by glennbo123; 04-11-2013 at 12:38 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #2043
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

The Flying Fish - part C

continued from previous post

Desserts downed, and with the bill paid and Chris thanked, we were able to get moving and I got most everybody (more on that in a second) shuffling in the direction of the International Gateway. We only had about 15 minutes before IllumiNations was going to start. And it was a slow walk; Gram and Poppy reported that they stiffened-up sitting at dinner. It takes a little while to get the joints working as they should, after sitting a spell.

Judy however, was going to skip IllumiNations and head back to the resort instead. Her sister and nephew were arriving that night to stay with us and to go to a park with us the next day, so she wanted to get back to the resort to meet them. James decided that he was tired and didn't want to stay for Illuminations either, so when we left The Flying Fish the two of them went to the Boardwalk bus stop to catch the first park bus that came along and then transfer to an Animal Kingdom Lodge bus.

My kids thought that it was so cool to enter Epcot at the International Gateway, and we all agreed it would be great to stay at the Boardwalk Resort someday. Marlene has already put in a request for 2015. That's a definite possibility. Once in the park, we found a spot to watch the show from the United Kingdom, to the left (ie. the Future World side) of the Rose & Crown Pub. We got there with a minute or two to spare.

When I first started taking the pictures, I was kind of disappointed that there were lamps in the frame, but now I kind of like it. I'm not sure why. Maybe it adds "visual interest".

I think this next one is my favorite picture of the group.

It had been a number of years since any of us had seen IllumiNations, so we all enjoyed it quite a bit. Meanwhile, while we were watching IllumiNations, Judy had taken a bus to the Magic Kingdom (not the most expeditious route to the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but oh well) and saw a patriotic version of the Parade of lights while she was waiting for a bus.

After the show we meandered out with the crowd and I took a couple of shots of Spaceship Earth as we walked underneath.

When we got to the bus stop someone glanced at Gram's anniversary button and she was so used to people congratulating her that before they said anything she just blurted out, "Yep, thats right. 60 Years!" The poor guy was like, "ah, um, ah...okay." I'm not sure that he had even read her anniversary button. That quote was in the running for being the title of this trip report.

We made it back to the resort by 10:30, and greeted SiL and DN. With the 2-bedroom suite, we even had enough beds to accommodate everybody (all legal-like, occupancy-wise) so it worked out nicely.

You'd think that'd be it for the evening, but oh no, DN and my kids wanted to try a little night swimming so I went down to the pool with them. Just a quick dip though. Then we called it a day and hit the hay at midnight.

Up next: Rain superheroes visit the Magic Kingdom
Link to next chapter

Last edited by glennbo123; 04-26-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #2044
marvali
DIS Veteran

3 judys plus 1 judy plus 1 judy

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
marvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #2045
marvali
DIS Veteran

oops....make that 5 + 1 + 0 judys

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #2046
marvali
DIS Veteran

Make that 5 + 2 + 0 Judy's!

And ask Judy to please, the next time you guys go to a nice restaurant, don't wear the same color clothes as the restaurant features all over the table.........

I'm still not sure about that one, and wouldn't really be surprised no matter what the Rules Committee says is the correct answer!!!

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Old 04-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #2047
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
3 judys plus 1 judy plus 1 judy
Quote:
oops....make that 5 + 1 + 0 judys
I think we'll need descriptions/picture numbers for this one.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #2048
marvali
DIS Veteran

I see as many as three more.......ranging from quite possible, to possible, to probably not but...........

That James is becoming an expert at picking up women on Disney buses!!!

The food all looks delicious! The Prix Fixe actually sounds very good, although I'm not sure it would be $63/person good! Maybe for a very special occasion........without kids!!!

The bread looks yummy! But I'm confused about the nine blobs on the cheese plate but only five descriptions???

Looks like a lot of great choices on the menu! I definitely need to add FF to my must do one day list!!!

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Old 04-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #2049
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I see as many as three more.......ranging from quite possible, to possible, to probably not but...........
Yeah, well hmmm. I was thinking of putting something in the write-up with one of the pictures to narrow down the possibilities, but I don't really want to interfere with the narrative...and I don't want to tip-off anyone that might miss something altogether. Looks like we'll have to lean on the omniscience of the Rules Committee once again!

Quote:
That James is becoming an expert at picking up women on Disney buses!!!
He sits down first, so he must just attract 'em. A chip off the 'ol block.

Quote:
The food all looks delicious! The Prix Fixe actually sounds very good, although I'm not sure it would be $63/person good! Maybe for a very special occasion........without kids!!!
Exactly. Those expensive tastes are just wasted on the kids.

Quote:
The bread looks yummy! But I'm confused about the nine blobs on the cheese plate but only five descriptions???
I guess I got too lazy in the writeup. There are 5 cheeses along the bottom. Along the top are 4 accompaniments, berries and honey and whatnot.

Quote:
Looks like a lot of great choices on the menu! I definitely need to add FF to my must do one day list!!!
You do! I recommend it.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #2050
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

4 Judys in the first post: 2 entering the restaurant, one foot in the floor shot, one portrait at the table.

1 Judy in the second post in the family shot.

0 in the third. Grand total of 5 Judys.

Be back to comment later...
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #2051
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

I giggled at your Lew Zealand joke/diatribe. Your meals at the Flying Fish look good! I've always wanted to try that restaurant but I am not a lover of seafood and well, just too picky I guess! Maybe some day. Maybe I'll just go and try the artisanal cheeses. They look yummy!
Great IllumiNations pics! I love that show. <3
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #2052
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

well if you want specifics then

update 1
stairs going by the wall =1
entering the restaurant.=1
foot of the floor pic =1
reflection in the ceiling art work =1
smiling at the table =1

update 2
whole family picture =1

update 3
zero judys

some might try and argue a judy in the picture of her meal but not enough evidence to say that is a body part in the plate picture.

so my answers are up above

and since you liked your meal very much tell marv to never order it they will take it off the menu after he does.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #2053
Discajun
Go Tigers!

Glad to see yall enjoyed the Flying Fish! My family and I have eaten there the last several times we have gone & it has become our favorite place to dine. We'll be in Disney staying at the Boardwalk in a few weeks and have reservations for the Fling Fish!! Great trip report.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #2054
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I know at least one DISer would've gotten it
coughMarkcough

Quote:
but it seemed like a stretch, so I'm sorry, no Lew Zealand jokes will be used in this chapter
Well, now that you've explained the backstory, you might as well use it.

Quote:
If I had known, I could've encouraged the people to chew faster, or at least started bussing their plates and silverware.
Or at least hover enough to make them uncomfortable.

Quote:
James raved about how his scallops were perfectly cooked and begged me to take a picture. I think he had already given a couple of them to Lauren, at this point.
That's odd... when I have something that I like and is perfectly cooked, I tend to be a little bit greedy and defensive of my food.

Quote:
Overall assessment: We all loved our meals at The Flying Fish. We'll definitely have to return sometime.
I'm glad you all enjoyed it!

Quote:
You know how in Africa at Animal Kingdom, there are always buzzards flying overhead? Yeah, well that can happen at the Flying Fish too
Well, that was nice of Chris to bring a celebratory dessert, and it was nice of Gram and Poppy to share.

Quote:
When I first started taking the pictures, I was kind of disappointed that there were lamps in the frame, but now I kind of like it. I'm not sure why. Maybe it adds "visual interest".
They don't really take away from the fire and explosions... so I'd say it makes a nice added touch. Good job.

Quote:
Meanwhile, while we were watching IllumiNations, Judy had taken a bus to the Magic Kingdom (not the most expeditious route to the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but oh well) and saw a patriotic version of the Parade of lights while she was waiting for a bus.
Well, if you're taking the long way back, then getting to enjoy a little extra something like that makes it worthwhile.

Quote:
When we got to the bus stop someone glanced at Gram's anniversary button and she was so used to people congratulating her that before they said anything she just blurted out, "Yep, thats right. 60 Years!" The poor guy was like, "ah, um, ah&okay." I'm not sure that he had even read her anniversary button. That quote was in the running for being the title of this trip report.

Quote:
(all legal-like, occupancy-wise)
Not that it really matters...
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #2055
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

I can't even imagine how hard it must have been to refrain from, well certain comments surrounding all that cheese.
Well done.

See there, I was going to say that was the TR intro photo, and then you spoiled my thunder.

OMG that had me laughing with all the "vultures"...

My last trip was my first time through the International Gateway and first time around the Boardwalk. I agree. I would really love to stay there.
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: