Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #1996
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Lounging Tiger, Komodo Dragon

Hey, before I get to the next chapter, did anyone else see the latest Adventures by Disney offering, New York City? Adventures by Disney - New York City For $1,599, or 160 vacation club points, per person you will receive 3 nights’ accommodation at the Manhattan Club; tickets to a Broadway show (Disney’s “Newsies”); tour the city with sites including Times Square, Rockefeller Center, 5th Avenue, Madison Avenue, the Chrysler Building, and Radio City Music Hall; backstage access at “Good Morning America”; a Harlem tour including the Apollo theater; and a walking tour of Central Park.

With a few exceptions, doesn’t this sound awfully similar to the tour that I put together for Judy and Lauren, reviewed in the first several chapters of this trip report?? Here’s their itinerary:

For two adults the Adventures by Disney tour costs $3,200, or 320 vacation club points. I did it for a fraction of the cost -- 70 vacation club points for the trade-out to the Manhattan Club, and cash for the excursions, the most expensive of which was the Wicked tickets (by far, at over $300 for the pair). And Adventures by Disney doesn’t offer a meet ‘n greet with a bug exhibitor!

I think somebody at ABD has been reading my trip report, what do you think?!

Okay, so back to our regularly scheduled programming: Lounging Tiger, Komodo Dragon.

Once the rain cleared off enough for us to travel again, and after confirming that Expedition Everest was still down, we decided to walk another animal trail -- the Maharajah Jungle Trek. Perhaps you guessed that from the chapter title, since that’s where you can find lounging tigers and komodo dragons at Animal Kingdom.

We arrived at the Trek at about 2:30pm. The komodo dragon was of course one of the first animals we got to see.

Er, well, it’s on the other side of that pesky Glennbo-family that got in the way of my camera.

I moved over for a better shot.

From there, I said “to the bat cave Robin”, only it’s more of a hut than a cave. If you don’t like bat pictures, turn back now. Or mash (as they say in the South) your “Page Down” button a couple of times.

But don’t worry people…these guys feed on fruit and nectar, not blood. Of course they do.

Then we got to the tigers, and I had a lot of fun taking pictures. They’re almost as much fun to photograph as the gorillas.

Aw, the poor guy can hardly keep his eyes open.

One even had to answer the “call of nature” while we were there.

Walls are good for lounging on.

Or walking on.

I enhanced that last one on Instagram, a little bit.

Further down the trail, we saw this little deer critter. I don’t know -- is this a young Eld’s Deer? (Do I ask that every time I write a chapter on the Maharajah Jungle Trek?) I’m not that good with animal names.

I looked-up this cow-type animal online and learned that it is called a banteng, or bali cattle.

I’m sorry, but this guy or gal is so beefy that it just makes me wonder what a banteng steak might taste like.

Sorry! It was just a thought…don’t give me those “cow eyes”!

I know that my siblings would not be surprised to see a picture of my mom walking like that. It somehow helps with her pain, and she does it quite often.

And I see that the kids were still hanging with us. To be honest, I’m kind of surprised that the kids stayed with us for this trail. They must have run out of ideas of things to do, with Expedition Everest being down.

After the trail, we continued into the aviary. My mom was excited because she loves birds. She’s never had one as a pet, but she loves watching them at the several feeders and the birdbath in her backyard. She even has a clock that chimes a different bird call every hour. No wonder I get so many strange looks when someone asks me for the time.

I tried to photograph this next bird around for a little while. I liked his green plumage, but he moved pretty fast and was under a bush. I took a flash picture, but it didn’t capture the colors right. This is the best shot that I could get without a flash.

After the trail, Poppy, Gram, and Judy said that they were ready to go back to the resort, so they started making their way to the front of the park. The kids wanted to do Dinosaur, so I said that I’d accompany them on that ride and then we’d leave also. When we got to Dinosaur we found that the wait time was 90 minutes…no thanks. I texted Judy and we caught up with them somewhere around the Tree of Life. I remembered the trails near the Tree where you can see the animal carvings up-close, but ‘no dice’ on that one too…the trails were closed due to some construction/renovation going on. Oh well. It didn’t seem like we got a whole lot done on our Animal Kingdom day -- the Safari, a couple of trails, Nemo, a sack lunch and an ice cream cone. But we were beat, and as it was approaching 3:30, we all could use a little rest before we had to head out again for our dinner reservation.

continued in next post
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #1997
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Lounging Tiger, Komodo Dragon part 2

continued from previous post

We did however get some Photopass pictures as we left.

Poppy looks so serious!

I know it looks like the same photopass photo over and over again, but I think it was 3 shots, with lots of experimentation with different borders.

Ordinarily, this would make a great spot to end the chapter, but this is no ordinary chapter. Oh no. Im going to continue on.

We got back to the resort at about 4 oclock. Apparently, I felt compelled to take a picture of the port cochere, I have no idea why.

Ill continue with the animal theme of this chapter, with some pictures taken from our balcony after I got back to the room. Youve got your ankole cattle.

And your eland.

Okay, now Ill end the chapter. Next time, dinner!

Up next: The Flying Fish
Link to next chapter

Last edited by glennbo123; 04-11-2013 at 12:10 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #1998
marvali
DIS Veteran

3 judys

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
marvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #1999
marvali
DIS Veteran

plus 10 judys

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #2000
marvali
DIS Veteran

Make that two judys plus ten judys

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Old 04-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #2001
marvali
DIS Veteran

Never mind.........changing back to 3 judys plus 10 judys

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Old 04-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #2002
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
3 judys
Quote:
plus 10 judys
Quote:
Make that two judys plus ten judys
Quote:
Never mind.........changing back to 3 judys plus 10 judys
Rosie, is that you??
Old 04-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #2003
marvali
DIS Veteran

I saw that Adventures by Disney Itinerary and thought exactly the same thing!

Some really great animal shots you got there. Those tiger pictures are super and Holy Cow you got some great shots of the banteng and ankole cattle! Cow eyes..........

I love the look of the Porte Cochere at Kidani. Still wondering about the significance of the few lanterns with red lights though. I asked one of the CMs my last stay there and they didn't have a clue.........

Can't wait to read about your meal at Flying Fish. That is one that I have thought about trying sometime.

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17

Last edited by marvali; 04-02-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #2004
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Rosie, is that you??
You would think so wouldn't you.................

Struggling with the komodo dragon back of the head one. At first I thought Judy..........then based on where they were standing I thought Grams.........then thinking about the angle and you probably moved to the right to get the picture that would put Judy on your left side, so that's my final answer...........right or wrong!

Unless I pull another Rosie and decide to change it one more time..........

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Old 04-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #2005
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

2 Judys Plus 10 Judys

FINAL ANSWER

The "judy"in the second picture is Gram. Same shirts but curlier hair the shirt to the right is Poppy, dark in color.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #2006
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Yes - When I got My Disney Files and looked and the 8 X 10 glossy insert describing the NY Adventures by Disney I thought they copied your trip. I did see Good Morning America and knew you went to the Today show but I was really wondering if that was the hotel the girls stayed at.

I do think in the end Judy and Laurens adventure was much better and much cheaper too.

I think I have gotten the tigers on a "good" day once and that was in Jan. and it was like 40 degrees out. Other than that..... snoozing.

Flying Fish eh? Need to get that one booked myself. Curious to hear how your meal was.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #2007
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Rosie, is that you??
I saw 3 in first update and 10 in second !!!! Or maybe that was 2 in first and 1 in second as they are all repeat pix !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #2008
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey, before I get to the next chapter, did anyone else see the latest Adventures by Disney offering, New York City? Adventures by Disney - New York City For $1,599, or 160 vacation club points, per person you will receive 3 nights accommodation at the Manhattan Club; tickets to a Broadway show (Disneys Newsies); tour the city with sites including Times Square, Rockefeller Center, 5th Avenue, Madison Avenue, the Chrysler Building, and Radio City Music Hall; backstage access at Good Morning America; a Harlem tour including the Apollo theater; and a walking tour of Central Park.

[/COLOR]
When I got that in the mail and I looked at it and said "yeah right". I thought I threw it right in the trash, but the next day Denny had it in his hand and said "yeah right". We both looked at each other and said "are they freaking crazy?" That's definitely for someone with points to burn or no common sense or perhaps both. You could rent 320 points and do your own trip.

I'll be back to read your whole update when I switch to picture mode.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #2009
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
I saw 3 in first update and 10 in second !!!! Or maybe that was 2 in first and 1 in second as they are all repeat pix !!!

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Old 04-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #2010
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Well actually it is 2 in the first and 3 in the second as Glenn said it was 3 pix with different bordersGotta try to be different !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: