Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #1876
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Animal Kingdom morning

I forgot to give an “up next” preview last time, so I need to title this chapter now. After looking through the pictures, I guess I’ll go with the very original and imaginative “Animal Kingdom morning”. This particular day was Tuesday, June 26th, our 9th day of the trip, and we were back on schedule. Today would be our Animal Kingdom day, which you probably already figured out from all of that discussion about the title.

I was up at 7am, but there’d be no workout today, since I figured (correctly) that I’d get plenty of exercise walking around the park. By the time we got everyone up and headed to the bus stop it was a little later than I’d hoped, 9:15, but at least we were going to the closest park. We got seated on the bus and when it pulled away from the stop, a recorded announcer-voice came over the loudspeaker saying, “Hello everyone. Please join us in wishing a special couple ‘Happy Anniversary’!” We kind of looked around at each other until we realized that it was for Gram and Poppy, and all of our fellow bus riders joined-in in congratulating them. The bus driver must have noticed their buttons when they got on the bus, and it was a nice surprise.

As we entered the park, my mom said that she wanted to go on the safari first, and that seemed like a great plan. I was thrilled that she had something in mind, and we could avoid that awkward “Oookay, here we are…what do you want to do” scenario. So we sent Lauren the long way around, by way of Everest, to pick up some fastpasses. The rest of us mosey’d our way toward Africa.

On our way across the bridge to Discovery Island, I saw a Photopass photographer and suggested that my parents get a picture taken. We needed to get going Photopass-wise to get the most out of that cd pre-order.

Soon enough, we made it to Africa. I know that I’ve mentioned in previous trip reports how much I like the architecture in Africa, so I’ll refrain from doing it again…but I did take this one picture of all the wiring on the outside wall of this building near the Harmbe Fruit Market. I have no doubt that it compares with what you could see in a remote African village. Such great theming.

We met up with Lauren and our Fastpasses. I took a picture of them, looking back in the direction we came. You can see it was fairly crowded today.

It was about 10 o’clock when we got in line for Kilimanjaro Safaris, and the line was pretty long. At one point, a guy came barging through, trying to work his way up through the line. It was apparent that he irritated the guy behind me in line, so after he went through I pointed to this sign and said, “Careful, you don’t want to get trampled by a tembo”.

I don’t know, it seemed like a better story at the time. What can I say?

It took us about 40 minutes of snaking around the twists and turns of the queue before we boarded our safari bus, but once we boarded we were treated to a driver who was obviously inspired by the Jungle Cruise cast members and brought some humor to our savanna tour. For example, it had rained a little while we were in the queue, and as he drove off he said, “this rain is a nice change of pace, don’t you think?”.

Then we came to this rhino and as we pulled away he said, “sorry to leave you…behind”. (Now this is my kind of driver!)

At another point we saw some plain-old everyday mallard ducks and he called them “African Killer Ducks”. And then he informed us how we could tell male and female zebras apart: “the male zebras are black with white stripes and the female zebras are white with black stripes.” Ba-dum-bum. Okay, okay, you don’t have to be quite as cheesy as the Jungle Cruise, but I like the effort.

Here are some more photos that I took as we went along. I’ll try to keep quiet, you know most of these animals by now.

I saw the lunch pavilions that are used during the Wild Africa Trek. I’d love to do that tour someday. Sounds like something for a parents-only trip!

We paused near this giraffe.

We paused a little longer, so I thought I’d zoom-in some.

Heck, we’re still sitting here, so max it out baby!

Fortunately, we didn’t hang around any longer…otherwise I would’ve needed the Hubble telescope.

Lauren loves elephants, so she was excited to see the trunk-squirting exhibition this guy was putting on and asked me if I was getting pictures of it.

I don’t remember these cheetah’s before. They’ve probably always been there and I just forgot.

continued in next post
Link to next post

Last edited by glennbo123; 03-06-2013 at 07:58 PM.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #1877
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Animal Kingdom morning - continued

continued from previous post

It's always fun as you approach Pride Rock...the anticipation builds as you wonder if you'll be able to get a good lion picture.

He's the king of the jungle...

...and today I can only address him as "your hiney".

My only complaint with the safari is how most of the time the driver doesn't come to a complete stop, which makes it really hard to take non-blurry pictures. There were several times where he would slow down, but we were still moving and being jostled, and I'd think that he was going to stop so I would wait to snap a picture, and then he'd gas it and speed off again. Instead of the slow creeping-along, I wish they'd just come to a complete stop for a second or two.

From there, the kids wanted to go off on their own (and I have no idea where they went or what they did), but those of us in the older generation moved right on to the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail, since it was so close.

We enjoyed watching this bird work on his or her nest. But he moved so fast, it was hard not to get any blur. These pictures were the best of the bunch.

For some reason, whenever I see these meerkats the song Muskrat Love by America pops into my head. (But America's version, not Captain & Tennille! ) You'd think it'd be that scene from The Lion King where Timon says, Do you want me to dress in drag and do the hula? But no, I hear "...Muskrat Susie, Muskrat Sam, do the jitterbug out in muskrat land..."

And finally, we got to the gorillas. I love taking pictures of these guys. I'm not sure what I'm going to ever do with all of these gorilla pictures, other than post them in my trip report, but it sure is fun taking them.

He's eyeing me like, "Dude, if I could get out of here I would tear you limb-from-limb in under 2 seconds."

We emerged from the jungle and walked into Harambe village a few minutes before noon.

To save a little money, we'd brought some lunch items in with us, and we set up to eat at a table in a little tucked-away corner behind Tamu Tamu Refreshments. This is a great little spot to escape the crowds and the heat. Its not air-conditioned, but it is shaded, and there usually aren't very many people there.

This was Lunch! PB&J (or just PB for those who specified), baby carrots (why cant we let them grow to maturity?), and apple wedges. Can anyone spot the hidden Mickey?

Next time well go over what we did during our afternoon at Animal Kingdom, and I'll probably come up with an equally imaginative title as I gave to this chapter.

Up next: Animal Kingdom afternoon
Link to next chapter

Last edited by glennbo123; 03-26-2013 at 12:34 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #1878
marvali
DIS Veteran

0 in first
1 in second
total of 1 Judy

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
marvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #1879
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
No, I am decidedly non-female. But it's lovely to see the relationships born from the DIS.
I've met a bunch of 'em....great people, all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
It's my pleasure Glenn. at the last comment.
I could tell from your TR that you could take a little ribbing.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #1880
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
We got seated on the bus and when it pulled away from the stop, a recorded announcer-voice came over the loudspeaker saying, “Hello everyone. Please join us in wishing a special couple ‘Happy Anniversary’!” We kind of looked around at each other until we realized that it was for Gram and Poppy, and all of our fellow bus riders joined-in in congratulating them.
So cool! And Happy Anniversary to Gram and Poppy!!!

Quote:
Then we came to this rhino and as we pulled away he said, “sorry to leave you…behind”.
Quote:
continued from previous post
…and today I can only address him as “your hiney”.
Quote:
For some reason, whenever I see these meerkats the song “Muskrat Love” by America pops into my head. (But America’s version, not Captain & Tennille! ) You’d think it’d be that scene from “The Lion King” where Timon says, “Do you want me to dress in drag and do the hula?” But no, I hear ♪ ♪ ♫ “…Muskrat Susie, Muskrat Sam, do the jitterbut out in muskrat land…” ♪ ♪ ♫
So after all the hineys and behind shots, was this just a Freudian slip, or just following along with the theme???

Quote:
And finally, we got to the gorillas. I love taking pictures of these guys. I’m not sure what I’m going to ever do with all of these gorilla pictures, other than post them in my trip report, but it sure is fun taking them.

He’s eyeing me like, “Dude, if I could get out of here I would tear you limb-from-limb in under 2 seconds.”

Oh, and 4 Rosie's!!!

Quote:
This was Lunch! PB&J (or just PB for those who specified), baby carrots (why can’t we let them grow to maturity?), and apple wedges. Can anyone spot the hidden Mickey?
Cool way to keep your carrots closed!!!

Quote:
Next time we’ll go over what we did during our afternoon at Animal Kingdom, and I’ll probably come up with an equally imaginative title as I gave to this chapter.
We can always count on you for an imaginative title, even if you have to pay for it!!!

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report

Last edited by marvali; 03-06-2013 at 01:17 PM.
marvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #1881
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Dang it......
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #1882
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
I forgot to give an “up next” preview last time, so I need to title this chapter now. After looking through the pictures, I guess I’ll go with the very original and imaginative “Animal Kingdom morning”.
Spent a lot of time on that one, didja?

Quote:
We got seated on the bus and when it pulled away from the stop, a recorded announcer-voice came over the loudspeaker saying, “Hello everyone. Please join us in wishing a special couple ‘Happy Anniversary’!” We kind of looked around at each other until we realized that it was for Gram and Poppy, and all of our fellow bus riders joined-in in congratulating them. The bus driver must have noticed their buttons when they got on the bus, and it was a nice surprise.
for the bus driver.

Quote:
It was about 10 o’clock when we got in line for Kilimanjaro Safaris, and the line was pretty long. At one point, a guy came barging through, trying to work his way up through the line.
Could you trip him? Crop-dust him, maybe? How come he was so important?

Quote:
It took us about 40 minutes of snaking around the twists and turns of the queue before we boarded our safari bus, but once we boarded we were treated to a driver who was obviously inspired by the Jungle Cruise cast members and brought some humor to our savanna tour. For example, it had rained a little while we were in the queue, and as he drove off he said, “this rain is a nice change of pace, don’t you think?”.

Then we came to this rhino and as we pulled away he said, “sorry to leave you…behind”. (Now this is my kind of driver!)

At another point we saw some plain-old everyday mallard ducks and he called them “African Killer Ducks”. And then he informed us how we could tell male and female zebras apart: “the male zebras are black with white stripes and the female zebras are white with black stripes.” Ba-dum-bum. Okay, okay, you don’t have to be quite as cheesy as the Jungle Cruise, but I like the effort.
He sounds awesome! I'd love to have this guy as my driver. Much better than pretending I'm chasing fake poachers.

Quote:
I saw the lunch pavilions that are used during the Wild Africa Trek. I’d love to do that tour someday. Sounds like something for a parents-only trip!

Quote:
Lauren loves elephants, so she was excited to see the trunk-squirting exhibition this guy was putting on and asked me if I was getting pictures of it.
Wow, this really is getting to be like the Jungle Cruise!

Quote:
It’s always fun as you approach Pride Rock…the anticipation builds as you wonder if you’ll be able to get a good lion picture.
It does? I pretty much assume I'll see a sleeping animatronic lion like I always do.

Quote:
…and today I can only address him as “your hiney”.
Yup, this is Jungle Cruise all the way!

Quote:
We enjoyed watching this bird work on his or her nest. But he moved so fast, it was hard not to get any blur. These pictures were the best of the bunch.
I think you did well. Very well.

Quote:
He’s eyeing me like, “Dude, if I could get out of here I would tear you limb-from-limb in under 2 seconds.”
Definitely getting that vibe. It's only a matter of time until the Planet of the Apes is upon us.

Quote:
This was Lunch! PB&J (or just PB for those who specified), baby carrots (why can’t we let them grow to maturity?), and apple wedges. Can anyone spot the hidden Mickey?
Looks like an Oblivious Family vacation lunch©! And yes, the hidden Mickey is the chip clip, which I feel is worth some kind of point in the standings.
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #1883
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Does Marv keep his computer on your thread at all times to catch how many Judy's? Maybe that's why he so seldom updates his own.

Love the pictures of the safari ride; Mark loves elephants like Lauren and he would have loved seeing the elephant playing in the water.

You got some really great shots of the gorillas too.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #1884
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
After looking through the pictures, I guess I’ll go with the very original and imaginative “Animal Kingdom morning”
Excellent, descriptive title!

Quote:
I did take this one picture of all the wiring on the outside wall of this building near the Harmbe Fruit Market. I have no doubt that it compares with what you could see in a remote African village. Such great theming.
You'd think Disney could afford to fix that. Is it even up to code???

Quote:
It was apparent that he irritated the guy behind me in line, so after he went through I pointed to this sign and said, “Careful, you don’t want to get trampled by a tembo”.
So was the guy behind you in line irritated with you too after this comment?

Quote:
Okay, okay, you don’t have to be quite as cheesy as the Jungle Cruise, but I like the effort.
This guy must have been a former JC skipper. Either that or he aspired to become one.

Quote:
Its always fun as you approach Pride Rock&the anticipation builds as you wonder if youll be able to get a good lion picture.
Really? I always just thought it was a rock with a lump on it. I didn't realize there was even anything to anticipate.

Quote:
Hes eyeing me like, Dude, if I could get out of here I would tear you limb-from-limb in under 2 seconds.
Which brings up an interesting question. Would you rather face a the gorilla or be trampled by a tembo?

Quote:
Next time well go over what we did during our afternoon at Animal Kingdom, and Ill probably come up with an equally imaginative title as I gave to this chapter.

Up next: Animal Kingdom afternoon
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #1885
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:
Heck, we’re still sitting here, so max it out baby!

Way to use that zoom. Seems like someone should check out that mole....

Quote:

Looks like he has "periscope up"

I had a busdriver that went through ALL the messages the busses can play. Pretty hilarious actually.

Birthday , anniversary , prince/princess, waterpark closed due to weather, watch your languagae, dont swing on handrails..... there were more.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #1886
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

you got some really good photos of the animals i dont t hink i have ever seen the elephants in the water.

and our trip that was the first time i have ever seen the cheetas there as well, i wonder if they are new since i dont remember them as well.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #1887
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

I'm behind, I know, and now Marv has like a gagillion Judy sighting points. Oh well.

Hold on, I just finished reading your update here and I'm still blown away by the creatively titled chapter heading... Maybe you should just start titling them "day one, day two..."

Once again, great FP shot, very clean fingernails.

Fantastic safari pics! Love the zoomed in giraffe ones especially. You can even see its eyelashes! Good work.

Ok Glenn, you're really dating yourself here as I have no idea what song you're talking about :
Quote:
For some reason, whenever I see these meerkats the song Muskrat Love by America pops into my head. (But America's version, not Captain & Tennille! ) You'd think it'd be that scene from The Lion King where Timon says, Do you want me to dress in drag and do the hula? But no, I hear "...Muskrat Susie, Muskrat Sam, do the jitterbug out in muskrat land..."
What a great little nook you found for lunch. You can never go wrong with pb&j, ever.

Animal Kingdom has some of the best theming of all the parks I think. It's superbly done! Looking forward to the next installment of "Animal Kingdom Morning part 2".
Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #1888
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
0 in first
1 in second
total of 1 Judy
Correct!

I posted during lunchtime to give the Europeans a shot, but it goes to Marv yet again.

Updated scores:

Marvin - 13 Judy-sighting wins, 7 Eagle Eye points
Pat - 6 Judy-sighting wins, 2 Eagle Eye points
Mark - 4 Judy-sighting wins, 1 Eagle Eye point
Dee - 4 Judy-sighting wins, 1 Eagle Eye point
Rosie - 4 Judy-sighting wins, 1 Eagle Eye point
Dan - 1 Judy-sighting win, 3 Eagle Eye points
Kelly - 3 Judy-sighting wins
Magdalene - 2 Judy-sighting wins
Katharina - 2 Judy-sighting wins
Jenn (elphie101) - 1 Judy-sighting win, First Subscriber Honors!
Tanya - 1 Judy-sighting win
Molly - 1 Judy-sighting win
Kathy - 1 Judy-sighting win
Mary Ellen - 1 Judy-sighting win
MissLiz - 1 Judy-sighting win
sesame_123 - 1 Eagle Eye point
Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #1889
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So cool! And Happy Anniversary to Gram and Poppy!!!
Why, thanks!

Quote:
So after all the hineys and behind shots, was this just a Freudian slip, or just following along with the theme???
Oops. Yes it was. And then I tried to correct it and the DIS turned all of my apostrophes and quote marks into strange characters. Doh!

Quote:
Oh, and 4 Rosie's!!!
Oooo, I didn't say that.

Quote:
Cool way to keep your carrots closed!!!
Good catch. You got an Eagle Eye point , included in the updated scores.

Quote:
We can always count on you for an imaginative title, even if you have to pay for it!!!
You can tell I didn't spend much on this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Dang it......
Bridesmaid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Spent a lot of time on that one, didja?
I think I'm getting TR writer's block.

Quote:
for the bus driver.

Quote:
Could you trip him? Crop-dust him, maybe? How come he was so important?
I can't crop dust on command. I'm such a failure!

Quote:
He sounds awesome! I'd love to have this guy as my driver. Much better than pretending I'm chasing fake poachers.
Wait, that was fake??!

Quote:
Wow, this really is getting to be like the Jungle Cruise!
Eerily similar.

Quote:
It does? I pretty much assume I'll see a sleeping animatronic lion like I always do.
You mean animatronic lion butt.

Quote:
Yup, this is Jungle Cruise all the way!
Yup.

Quote:
I think you did well. Very well.
Gee thanks!

Quote:
Definitely getting that vibe. It's only a matter of time until the Planet of the Apes is upon us.
It's a race between Planet of the Apes and computers becoming sentient.

Quote:
Looks like an Oblivious Family vacation lunch©! And yes, the hidden Mickey is the chip clip, which I feel is worth some kind of point in the standings.
If we'd have had any cheese curls, we would've had to pay you a royalty, that's how close it was to your copyright.

The Rules Committee saw fit to give you an Eagle Eye point . Marv's post is first, but his edit is a minute after yours, so you both got one.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: