Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #1801
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
Wow, I get way too much credit around here it seems. I appreciate the compliment that you think I have some powerful DIS computer skills to set your thread a special way, but I have to admit it just boils down to dumb luck! (okay Rosie, there's your chance)

If I happen to have some time available to spend on the DIS, even when I am doing other things on the internet I will occasionally come back to the DIS and check to see if anyone has posted anything new I want to comment on or just read. I do that by using the User CP link. If you haven't done an update in a while, and you start posting replies I get a little suspicious there might be an update coming. Sometimes you hint at it with your replies to people like Rosie who ask.

The latest contest I kept seeing the same two threads pop up and then all of a sudden yours showed up with you posting, so I checked it out. Two contests ago I wasn't on the DIS at all, so you posted an update, people guessed the Judy's, you posted the results and I never even put in a guess because I had no clue you had updated until too late. Some of my earlier wins I was late to the party but nobody had gotten all the Judy's yet and I was able to swoop in late and still get the correct answer in first.

Like I said, all dumb luck......no stalking, no special monitoring or surveillance! Further proof that sometimes it IS better to be lucky than good!!
Ask and you shall receive !!!I left myself open and so far you haven't commented unless my CP link isn't working which is a possibility or I just con't know where it is !!! I simply bug Glenn for an update , telling him when to do it and does he listen NO
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #1802
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Just realised I screwed up Glenn's Page count again
[/B][/URL]
[
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #1803
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I guess it depends on how you look at it...Mark (Capt. Oblivious) thought it looked pretty pricey for just some tea and little sandwiches. For the location and ambience, I think it's not too bad of a splurge. I think it was worth it for the memories they made.
Like I said, I'm not the target audience here. If I spend $23 for food, I don't want to be searching for another meal 2 hours later.

Quote:
You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "always test an app when death is on the line"!
Inconceivable!
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #1804
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

I don't know a single thing about photography or what flish flash to use LOL that's the technical term by the way,all i know is that there are some pretty good shots there Glen...nice work!!!

cheekypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #1805
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
I know why Marv never does his own updates .. He spends 231/2 hours a day waiting to find Judy's !!! The have hour is a State Law he has to have a meal break !!!
You forgot the two additional 15 minute potty breaks.........

Quote:
People have grown Old waiting for that!!!( Left myself open )
Rosie, you grew old waiting for "writing" to be invented!!!

(ask and ye shall receive)

Quote:
I am telling you Marv just waits and then pounces, me on the other hand am busy messing up Glenn's page count so I miss the update.
I did hear they were auctioning off Marv's last update as an antique writing !!!
Where do you think the money comes from to take future Disney trips???

Quote:
Thanks Sara. Taking pictures of the giraffes was pretty cool because you couldn't see them very well without the night-vision goggles...you could tell they were there, and that was about it. But it shows how still they were being, since the shutter was open for so long and there's not very much blur.
I meant to mention how still the giraffes had to be for your pictures to come out so clearly. Imagine how hard it must be to keep your head completely still with a neck that long.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Looks like it will be hard to catch Marv, but being next in line I guess I will be the one to do it!!!
Now THERE'S wishful thinking if I ever heard it..........

Quote:
Ask and you shall receive !!!I left myself open and so far you haven't commented unless my CP link isn't working which is a possibility or I just con't know where it is !!! I simply bug Glenn for an update, telling him when to do it and does he listen NO
See above.......you received!!!

Actually you and Pat probably help me out the most. You two mention waiting for an update and Glenn gives his little hints one may be coming, so I start watching a little closer........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Like I said, I'm not the target audience here. If I spend $23 for food, I don't want to be searching for another meal 2 hours later.
So you're saying you don't eat much Chinese food???

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
marvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #1806
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You forgot the two additional 15 minute potty breaks.........

2 x 15 does make a half hour cheeky monkey

Rosie, you grew old waiting for "writing" to be invented!!!

(ask and ye shall receive)

Where do you think the money comes from to take future Disney trips???

The sale of ancient documents as in your updates

I meant to mention how still the giraffes had to be for your pictures to come out so clearly. Imagine how hard it must be to keep your head completely still with a neck that long.........

Now THERE'S wishful thinking if I ever heard it..........

See above.......you received!!!

Actually you and Pat probably help me out the most. You two mention waiting for an update and Glenn gives his little hints one may be coming, so I start watching a little closer........

Pat are we really helping Marv??????

So you're saying you don't eat much Chinese food???
I right now wish I hadn't
[/B][/URL]
[

Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #1807
SimplyGoofy
"You are not Mickey Mouse... you are a rat!" "Rat, shmat. Besides, they're tourists. What do they know?"

I'm so glad the ladies enjoyed their tea! The GF is such a beautiful resort, and I think the tea is such a fun "different" thing to do!

Also, I LOVE your night photos! What wonderful views of the animals and fantastic photos of the resort itself! They really highlight the beauty of the AKV.

Feb 2012 - A Savanna, A Wizard, and Oodles of Food - AKL/DxDP/WWoHP
SimplyGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #1808
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When you have a 14 hour work day - I can now officially say I am all caught up pn the DIS.
That's great! It's something that I can't say -- I'm behind on every thread I'm following, and this one as well. Maybe I can get caught up on replies today.

Quote:
Looks like it will be hard to catch Marv, but being next in line I guess I will be the one to do it!!!
We're counting on you.

Quote:
Hey, I am good at wandering around..... Looking for something to photograph in Disney? Also pretty easy.
Sounds like you're halfway there.

Quote:
I have done some playing around with the shutter speed while waiting for FOLK and fireworks. Trying to get that shot and have it look great takes some practice.... and sometimes in my case a bit of luck.
FOLK is tough though because of all of the movement. Slow it down too much and you just get a blur.

Luck is definitely a factor. But a shot not taken is a shot not scored. Or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyFan1515 View Post
Love the latest update. Nice pictures of the resort
Hey, thanks GoofyFan1515! And I do believe this is your first post here, so !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesalad View Post
Awwwhhhhhhhh!!! Those giraffes are so adorable! Just hanging out... having some 'resort time' after a hard day at the parks.
Yes, one of them was complaining about a single-rider that joined them on Expedition Everest.

Quote:
You got some really good shots!!

I really like the photo of the fire - 1 second with flash and the one with the ghost people outside.
Thanks Sally, I'm glad you liked them.

Quote:
Sounds like a fun night! I love just fiddling around with exposure on the same shot. I need a LOT more practice though
Trial-and-error, but fun stuff!

Quote:
Wow, I get way too much credit around here it seems. I appreciate the compliment that you think I have some powerful DIS computer skills to set your thread a special way, but I have to admit it just boils down to dumb luck! (okay Rosie, there's your chance)

If I happen to have some time available to spend on the DIS, even when I am doing other things on the internet I will occasionally come back to the DIS and check to see if anyone has posted anything new I want to comment on or just read. I do that by using the User CP link. If you haven't done an update in a while, and you start posting replies I get a little suspicious there might be an update coming. Sometimes you hint at it with your replies to people like Rosie who ask.

The latest contest I kept seeing the same two threads pop up and then all of a sudden yours showed up with you posting, so I checked it out. Two contests ago I wasn't on the DIS at all, so you posted an update, people guessed the Judy's, you posted the results and I never even put in a guess because I had no clue you had updated until too late. Some of my earlier wins I was late to the party but nobody had gotten all the Judy's yet and I was able to swoop in late and still get the correct answer in first.

Like I said, all dumb luck......no stalking, no special monitoring or surveillance! Further proof that sometimes it IS better to be lucky than good!!
What I was getting at was that you can set a thread subscription to give you an e-mail notification if there's an update. I suspected that maybe you turned that feature on when you thought that I was "due" for an update...that would save you from the "occasionally coming back to the DIS and checking" step. I'm not sure how timely the e-mails are though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
You got some great night shots! That's funny that the little boy thought you were crazy
I felt like giving him a W.C. Fields "go away son, ya bother me" but I'm sure my fire-picture-taking looked mighty strange, so I can't blame him for being curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Awesome pictures!!!
Thanks Andy!

Quote:
I love how you did so many trial and error shots to get the result you were looking for. If I had a camera with that I could adjust all those settings on, I'd probably be afraid to mess with it out of fear of screwing it up.
Oh, you can't mess anything up. It's all digital, so if it's reaaaly bad, you just delete it.

Quote:
I really loved how you were able to get those shots of the giraffes to come out so well lit after dark.
It was pretty cool to see how clearly I could see them on the back of the camera after taking the picture, in comparison to what was in front of me, which was just some dark shadows (with apparently tall necks).
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #1809
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I simply bug Glenn for an update , telling him when to do it and does he listen NO
I can't be bought. (But I can be rented cheap.)

Quote:
Just realised I screwed up Glenn's Page count again
Just for that -- no update this afternoon!

(As if I had one ready.)

Quote:
I understand, I don't think I'm the target audience either. And Disney is okay with that.

Quote:
Inconceivable!
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekypoppins View Post
I don't know a single thing about photography or what flish flash to use LOL that's the technical term by the way,all i know is that there are some pretty good shots there Glen...nice work!!!
Thanks for clearing up the technical terminology for me and thanks for the compliment, I'm glad that you liked them.

Quote:
You'd think there'd be some swaying up there in the higher altitudes.

Quote:
I do. I figure if anyone is readng that closely, they might as well be rewarded with a hint of an impending update.

Quote:
I right now wish I hadn't
Attack of the MSG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyGoofy View Post
I'm so glad the ladies enjoyed their tea! The GF is such a beautiful resort, and I think the tea is such a fun "different" thing to do!
Yes, I think it was a good choice...something "different" and met all of the different speeds of the multi-generational people involved, which is not something that going to the parks can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyGoofy View Post
Also, I LOVE your night photos! What wonderful views of the animals and fantastic photos of the resort itself! They really highlight the beauty of the AKV.
Thank you SimplyGoofy! It really is a beautiful resort, I wish I was there right now!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #1810
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We're counting on you.
Hey, I thought I was your favorite??? Rosie said so.........

Quote:
What I was getting at was that you can set a thread subscription to give you an e-mail notification if there's an update. I suspected that maybe you turned that feature on when you thought that I was "due" for an update...that would save you from the "occasionally coming back to the DIS and checking" step. I'm not sure how timely the e-mails are though.
Actually, I probably check my email less often than the DIS, so THAT wouldn't help......... Thankfully I learned early on you can turn those email notifications off! With some of the threads I was following back then (yours, Liesa's, hucifer's....... - BTW, seen her lately???) I decided I better not keep that active or I would be spending half my life just deleting emails!

Besides, I have plenty of time to check back in frequently while I am working on all of my own TR updates.............

Quote:
I can't be bought. (But I can be rented cheap.)
I don't think I would have said THAT!!!

Quote:
Just for that -- no update this afternoon!

(As if I had one ready.)
You sure about that??? You aren't just trying to throw me off so somebody else can win the next round of Judy-do are you??? I mean, you are pushing this TR awfully close to the top of a new page..........

Quote:
I do. I figure if anyone is readng that closely, they might as well be rewarded with a hint of an impending update.
Definitely gets my attention!!!

Okay, there's my contribution to helping you get to the next page.........

Only five more posts and you're there!!!

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
marvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #1811
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sounds like you're halfway there.
I thik I have a tripod or that was the one that disappeared at work,.,,, I have a monopod ... need to go look I guess.

Quote:
FOLK is tough though because of all of the movement. Slow it down too much and you just get a blur.

Luck is definitely a factor. But a shot not taken is a shot not scored. Or something like that.
I found out the sports setting actually helped a little. I need to check those shots from Jan to the ones when I used the TV ( shutter speed ) setting.
See if I had better luck.

Quote:
Hey, thanks GoofyFan1515! And I do believe this is your first post here, so !!!

Quote:
The emails lag a few minutes- hence the bridesmaid.

Quote:
Oh, you can't mess anything up. It's all digital, so if it's reaaaly bad, you just delete it.
Take way more now since thy are "free"

Quote:
Actually, I probably check my email less often than the DIS, so THAT wouldn't help......... Thankfully I learned early on you can turn those email notifications off! With some of the threads I was following back then (yours, Liesa's, hucifer's....... - BTW, seen her lately???) I decided I better not keep that active or I would be spending half my life just deleting emails!
I spend way too much time deleting emails....

Quote:
Besides, I have plenty of time to check back in frequently while I am working on all of my own TR updates.............
So... you stalk

Quote:
You sure about that??? You aren't just trying to throw me off so somebody else can win the next round of Judy-do are you??? I mean, you are pushing this TR awfully close to the top of a new page..........
Watching always watching

Quote:
Okay, there's my contribution to helping you get to the next page.........

Only five more posts and you're there!!!
Make that four.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back

Last edited by Poolrat; 02-20-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #1812
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

How about 3 !!!! I am watching closely, but Glenn will wait till I fal asleep from sheer exhaustion, just take pity of this poor sweet little ol' lady who so needs another point ( is that enought to rent ya Glenn) I know it's getting deep around here !!!
[/B][/URL]
[

Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #1813
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I thought about doing it for Capt. Oblivious' contest and that's exactly where I came out....the e-mail method wouldn't cut it.

Quote:
I did say none this afternoon.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #1814
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I thik I have a tripod or that was the one that disappeared at work,.,,, I have a monopod ... need to go look I guess.
A monopod only helps a little bit. For night stuff, you need a tripod.

Quote:
I found out the sports setting actually helped a little. I need to check those shots from Jan to the ones when I used the TV ( shutter speed ) setting.
That's TV as in "Time Value", not

Quote:
The emails lag a few minutes- hence the bridesmaid.
Ahh, so you've tried it.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #1815
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How about 3 !!!! I am watching closely, but Glenn will wait till I fal asleep from sheer exhaustion, just take pity of this poor sweet little ol' lady who so needs another point ( is that enought to rent ya Glenn) I know it's getting deep around here !!!
Hmmm, looks like the gang's all here!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: