Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #1711
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Pinkie's out, Grand Floridian Tea

When the ladies left for their Tea at the Grand Floridian, the guys changed into their swimsuits and headed down to the pool. We got in and tried it out, but even without the rain coming down the afternoon was a little cold for swimming. I had remembered to take my drink mug down to the pool, but I found that the drink station was closed since the pool bar was closed for the afternoon, due to the rain I guess. That stunk.

It wasnt too long before James realized that hed forgotten his goggles and wanted to go back to the room to get them, and wanted me to go with him. With our room being situated at the other end of Kidani, over near Jambo House, it was a pretty long hike. We made short work of it by running most of the way. And by running, I mean an all-out sprint. Im not sure how it started exactly, probably James started jogging and I ran to catch up to him and he stepped on the gas in order to stay ahead. But however it started, before long we were running full-speed, barefoot, down the carpeted hallways, hoping that we didnt run into anyone.

On the way back to the pool I said something about my room key, and listening to myself in the midst of this African-themed resort I thought, that sounds like an African word, so my room key became maroomkie. (Accent on the second syllable.) We decided that it was a Swahili word meaning a tool to allow someone access through a door: maroomkie.

Back at the pool, we swam a little bit longer and tried out the slide. My first trip down the slide was extremely slow. I even had to push myself using the walls at one point. When I got to the bottom, James told me that I was sitting up too much and needed to lie all the way down. I retried it, and what a difference that made. I really zipped down that way, it was a great ride.

Around 4 pm, we got rained out and headed back to the suite. I think we just hung out and chilled for a while.

At some point during the afternoon Judy sent me a text with a picture of them at the Tea, and it looked like they were having a great time. So, lets turn our attention to what they did.

They took a bus to the Magic Kingdom and then caught the monorail over to the Grand Floridian. This was the first time any of them had stepped-foot into the beautiful, Victorian-themed, Grand Floridian, so naturally they began photographing the interior of the lobby. Lauren had Judys phone and she began with a picture of the stunning floor.

She found Pluto.

The GF on floor. I thought it was just a flourish-y F, but Judy pointed out the G to me.

And eventually, the lobby itself. Judy said that the piano player was playing when they first walked in, but he must have taken a break shortly after they arrived.

This chandelier would look nice in our house, but wed probably get tired of having to walk around it all the time.

Heres a staircase. And a mighty nice one at that.

And no room pictures are complete without a shot of the ceiling.

Marlene went over to the grand piano to see if she could try it out.

Unfortunately, the keyboard was locked.

They also noticed the beautiful elevator.

They didnt have to wait very long before they were called for their seating in the Garden View Tea Room. They had two small tables, which were moved close together.

Judy got up to take a picture of Gram and the girls.

Then, when the server came by they asked her to take a picture of all of them. This is the picture that Judy texted me.

They all ordered the Buckingham, which seemed like the right amount of food, ie. not too much. It comes with a choice of tea, some sandwiches, and some dessert items too.

Heres a picture of Judys sandwiches.

They moved their teas together for a group picture. I took some notes when they got back regarding who got what. Starting in the upper right in the picture, and moving clockwise: Lauren got the Mad Hatter, Gram got some kind of Oolong, Judy got Mountain Berry, and Marlene had Mango Oolong (with 2 sugar cubes&I think it might have been her first time seeing sugar cubes).

Apparently, there was a cherub statuette in the room that caught their attention.

They received a scone and some fancy-schmancy stuff to put on it.

Heres a picture of Grams desserts, I believe. Judy thought that the item on the left was an éclair, but the item on the right she said they all got and loved -- it was a swan, and was a pastry that was kind of like a cream puff. She thought that the filling was raspberry mousse or something equally delectable.

I know that these pictures dont show it, but apparently it poured at some point during their tea. Fortunately, they didnt have any issue with rain during their trip to or back from the Grand Floridian.

Here, Marlene demonstrates the proper technique for a high-society Tea. Pinkies out!

The ladies had a great time, and absolutely loved their afternoon together. Gram told them about the days when the ladies would have tea in the parlor, while the men went elsewhere and smoked cigars. When I heard that I thought, gee, we shouldve smoked cigars back at Kidani. Wouldnt Judy have been surprised if she came back and James told her we smoked cigars!

Before they left the Grand Floridian, they looked around the shops and Judy found Basin. She got a bar of laundry soap, a spot-treatment called the Spot Doctor, which she loves. Its claim is that theres no spot it cant get out, and so far its held true, from her experience.

On the way out, they noticed the Beauty and the Beast themed sections of the floor. Heres Chip.

And Mrs. Potts.

And they liked this elegant phone.

And as they left, the band was playing.

From there, they took the monorail to the Magic Kingdom and the bus back to Kidani. They said that there were huge lines to get into the Magic Kingdom -- apparently everyone was trying to get in now that the rain looked that it had finally let up.

When they got back to the suite, they enjoyed telling us about their afternoon. I could tell they all really loved it and Im glad that they could do it. What a great memory that will make for all of them!

Up next: Night photography
Link to next chapter

Last edited by glennbo123; 02-16-2013 at 08:44 PM.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #1712
marvali
DIS Veteran

3 Judys

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
marvali is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #1713
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
It wasn’t too long before James realized that he’d forgotten his goggles and wanted to go back to the room to get them, and wanted me to go with him. With our room being situated at the other end of Kidani, over near Jambo House, it was a pretty long hike. We made short work of it by running most of the way. And by “running”, I mean an all-out sprint. I’m not sure how it started exactly, probably James started jogging and I ran to catch up to him and he stepped on the gas in order to stay ahead. But however it started, before long we were running full-speed, barefoot, down the carpeted hallways, hoping that we didn’t run into anyone.
What, you didn't get in enough of a workout earlier at the Exercise Room?

Quote:
On the way back to the pool I said something about my room key, and listening to myself in the midst of this African-themed resort I thought, “that sounds like an African word”, so ‘my room key’ became ‘maroomkie’. (Accent on the second syllable.) We decided that it was a Swahili word meaning a tool to allow someone access through a door: maroomkie.
Maroomkie! I like it.....a definite addition to the unique DIScabulary!!!

Quote:

Here’s a picture of Gram’s desserts, I believe. Judy thought that the item on the left was an éclair, but the item on the right she said they all got and loved -- it was a swan, and was a pastry that was kind of like a cream puff. She thought that the filling was raspberry mousse or something equally delectable.

Not much for going to tea, but I can definitely go for some of that "fancy-schmancy"stuff!!! Especially that Swan looks really interesting!

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #1714
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Yes Yes 3 Judys Dang Blam it!!!!!

But gee at least I got the guys going to pool right even if it was cold.....

Yes I am editing - Judy or part of Judy is is five - 3 plus the picture of the tea, the spoons have her relflection inthe 2 left spoons.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back

Last edited by Poolrat; 02-10-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #1715
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Yes Yes 3 Judys Dang Blam it!!!!!

But gee at least I got the guys going to pool right even if it was cold.....

Yes I am editing - Judy or part of Judy is is five - 3 plus the picture of the tea, the spoons have her relflection inthe 2 left spoons.
Well if you're counting that, then there would be six because the spoon on the right has the same reflection right where the handle starts from the bowl of the spoon........

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #1716
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When the ladies left for their Tea at the Grand Floridian, the guys changed into their swimsuits and headed down to the pool. We got in and tried it out, but even without the rain coming down the afternoon was a little cold for swimming. I had remembered to take my drink mug down to the pool, but I found that the drink station was closed since the pool bar was closed for the afternoon, due to the rain I guess. That stunk.
I got the pool right. Stinks that the pool bar was closed and the drink station as well.

Quote:
It wasn’t too long before James realized that he’d forgotten his goggles and wanted to go back to the room to get them, and wanted me to go with him. With our room being situated at the other end of Kidani, over near Jambo House, it was a pretty long hike. We made short work of it by running most of the way. And by “running”, I mean an all-out sprint. I’m not sure how it started exactly, probably James started jogging and I ran to catch up to him and he stepped on the gas in order to stay ahead. But however it started, before long we were running full-speed, barefoot, down the carpeted hallways, hoping that we didn’t run into anyone.

That actually sounds like a great father son memory.

But what you aren't saying is that ...... he beat you didn't he?

Quote:
On the way back to the pool I said something about my room key, and listening to myself in the midst of this African-themed resort I thought, “that sounds like an African word”, so ‘my room key’ became ‘maroomkie’. (Accent on the second syllable.) We decided that it was a Swahili word meaning a tool to allow someone access through a door: maroomkie.
I like it.

Quote:
Back at the pool, we swam a little bit longer and tried out the slide. My first trip down the slide was extremely slow. I even had to push myself using the walls at one point. When I got to the bottom, James told me that I was sitting up too much and needed to lie all the way down. I retried it, and what a difference that made. I really zipped down that way, it was a great ride.

Lay down arch your back a bit to get up on your shoulder blades, cross your ankles and push your heel a bit down. FASTEST RIDE.

Quote:
This chandelier would look nice in our house, but we’d probably get tired of having to walk around it all the time.

Yes it would.on both accounts.

Quote:
Then, when the server came by they asked her to take a picture of all of them. This is the picture that Judy texted me.

A mighty fine group.

Quote:

Here’s a picture of Gram’s desserts, I believe. Judy thought that the item on the left was an éclair, but the item on the right she said they all got and loved -- it was a swan, and was a pastry that was kind of like a cream puff. She thought that the filling was raspberry mousse or something equally delectable.

YUM that all looks delish.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
Old 02-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #1718
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm going to bed, and I'll let you guys fight it out over the spoons. (But I think you're missing another reflection.)
Okay, six judys.....or nine if counting the three spoons

The three obvious ones, plus each of those three has a reflection......one in the tile floor, and the other two in the table!

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Old 02-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #1719
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Okay I will go with
3 real Judys
3 reflections in the spoons with the tea
1 in the first picture with the floor
1 more reflection in the group shot

total 8
Old 02-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #1720
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

I love the tea. We dragged Geoff and my dad one time and they enjoyed it too. It's so nice and relaxing!
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #1721
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But what you aren't saying is that ...... he beat you didn't he?

Quote:
Lay down arch your back a bit to get up on your shoulder blades, cross your ankles and push your heel a bit down. FASTEST RIDE.
Glenn's a married man.............you sure you can talk to him like that???

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Old 02-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #1722
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

Oh boy it's been along time but I re-found your tr YAYYYYYY.please excuse my collection of comments ,I'm dsure they are waaaayyyyyyy behind.

Awe i love Bob he's so fun!

oh that pot roast IS yummy I had it for the first time in September n it won't be my last!!!!

HOLYRAIN MUCH???

Lol @maroomkie thats too funny not to be an everyday word.

awe your girls sat at the same table as me n my girls for our princess tea.

cheekypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #1723
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Grrr he beat me again I agree 3 Judy's , but I am getting out my Marv magnying glass and re exan=ming each pix !!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #1724
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

I'm going with 9 then !!!The piana has a greenish reflection which has to be Judy!!!

I am hoping to do the Tea in December and the Buckingham will be my choice !!The Jam Tart makes me wish I could find replacements for my old Tart Tins !! I just know I;m gionna hear something from Marv on that!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #1725
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post

Glenn's a married man.............you sure you can talk to him like that???
Get your mind outta the gutter......

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: