Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #1576
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elianor View Post
Coming from a family of nerds, I'd say Nerds Rule!
In the movies, they get their Revenge too. Or is that Revenge II?

Quote:
Thanks for the update! It's a great way to start the year.
You're welcome.

Quote:
*see, I don't just post when I want you to update faster*
Uh huh. And....

Quote:
*now, when will I get my next update?*
There it is! I knew that was coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I'd always hated it too. Bleh. Jeff kept saying he was going to make me his version and never did. Then, for a little while I was buying some pre-prepared meals when I had a brutal commute and had a turkey marsala meatloaf that I didn't hate. Found a recipe for a very different meatloaf and modified it to make it healthier and it's now become a staple! (Chicken Italian Sausage and Turkey, with bell peppers, carrots, red onion, cumin and nutmeg among other things) The ketchup is in the mixture, not as a glaze and I use fat free half and half instead of regular half and half. Something about the cumin, nutmeg and red onion combo is just really cool and different, definitely not traditional. Plus it's uber healthy and chock full of veggies and the whole family inhales it.
I'm not sure what to say other than, I'd try any of those! I'm not too picky. Judy has some "healthy" meals that we love too. But sometimes we have to make sure that she doesn't go overboard -- for example, a couple of weeks ago she made a root vegetable stew where the recipe said "it's so tasty, you won't even miss the meat!" I said, "it sounds great, but let's throw some stew-beef in there." Let's not get crazy, right?

Quote:
The PTC version is much more traditional though Evan did have to sub chicken italian sausage for the ground pork that it called for (so it was a combo of the chicken ital sausage and lean ground beef). It was good, not dry, which is always the thing and for me adding the chicken sausage in helps a ton flavor wise. I still like mine better but I'd eat his anytime he wants to cook it. He likes his better...partially as he made it but also he said it was way less work.
It's nice that he's looking out for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
Just popping in...
Yo!

Quote:
Your 50PT meals looked really good. We skipped our meal there in Nov. We were just not hungry.
Understandable. If you're not hungry, what's the point? That's the downfall of having to make your dining reservations so far in advance. But hey, you probably allowed somebody else to get in that didn't have a reservation.

Quote:
The onion rings look really good. I guess I need to go eat lunch now.
I already ate, but I could still toss a few of those onion rings down right now. Mmmmm.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #1577
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I'm not sure what to say other than, I'd try any of those! I'm not too picky. Judy has some "healthy" meals that we love too. But sometimes we have to make sure that she doesn't go overboard -- for example, a couple of weeks ago she made a root vegetable stew where the recipe said "it's so tasty, you won't even miss the meat!" I said, "it sounds great, but let's throw some stew-beef in there." Let's not get crazy, right?
I try to stick to healthy meals...that don't taste that way at all.

Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #1578
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

Quote:
I'd always hated it too. Bleh. Jeff kept saying he was going to make me his version and never did. Then, for a little while I was buying some pre-prepared meals when I had a brutal commute and had a turkey marsala meatloaf that I didn't hate. Found a recipe for a very different meatloaf and modified it to make it healthier and it's now become a staple! (Chicken Italian Sausage and Turkey, with bell peppers, carrots, red onion, cumin and nutmeg among other things) The ketchup is in the mixture, not as a glaze and I use fat free half and half instead of regular half and half. Something about the cumin, nutmeg and red onion combo is just really cool and different, definitely not traditional. Plus it's uber healthy and chock full of veggies and the whole family inhales it.

The PTC version is much more traditional though Evan did have to sub chicken italian sausage for the ground pork that it called for (so it was a combo of the chicken ital sausage and lean ground beef). It was good, not dry, which is always the thing and for me adding the chicken sausage in helps a ton flavor wise. I still like mine better but I'd eat his anytime he wants to cook it. He likes his better...partially as he made it but also he said it was way less work.
when parker was little thats how we started making our meatloaf and meatballs, lots of veggies mixed in he had no clue and loved them and your right they made them more flavor full.

but we use beef and sausage for our mixture dont know if i have ever seen the chicken sausage..but will look for it next time.

its also good to throw a little BBQ on the top of the meatballs the last 5 or 10 minutes to get a glazy crust on them...adds some extra good flavor.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #1579
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Quote:
I totally agree. It's a shame that it steers you away from these restaurants to the quick-service fare.
You know - reading your comment made me wonder whether that change might not be due to the dining plan. People were less likely to use their credits for lunch as they would spend less. Now lunch is as expensive as dinner, so it might steer more people towards lunch reservations.

Btw, just talking about lunch menus: A friend of mine keeps talking about how Fulton's at DTD is one of the best deals for lunch on Disney property. I think they even have a 20% DVC discount as well. I am hoping to get to eat there in the spring and will report back afterwards!

Quote:
I don't remember them remarking on it all that much really. I think they saw a few things hanging on the walls that they had though, at least at one time.
I think it might be a bit strange to see your old kitchen appliance as theming in a restaurant...

I wonder how long it is going to be until there will be 80's themed restaurants somewhere...
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #1580
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
when parker was little thats how we started making our meatloaf and meatballs, lots of veggies mixed in he had no clue and loved them and your right they made them more flavor full.

but we use beef and sausage for our mixture dont know if i have ever seen the chicken sausage..but will look for it next time.

its also good to throw a little BBQ on the top of the meatballs the last 5 or 10 minutes to get a glazy crust on them...adds some extra good flavor.
We use Chicken Italian Sausage a LOT, I use it anytime something calls for Italian sausage and in a lot of our everyday cooking (stuffed shells/manicotti, pizza soup, etc). They have it at the grocery typically, Isernio's is the brand I see most often but we also get it from our Butcher, homemade where they have sweet, mild or hot. We buy a ton of other kinds of chicken sausages from the butcher and grocery store/Costco but this would be the ground, not links. We also make our meatballs with either turkey or chicken but more often than not buy those if I can find the kinds I like. It's a pet peeve I have with Costco. Amy's (I think) makes a great chicken Italian meatball but Costco is inconsistent in carrying them. Yet they always have the teriyaki ones. Grr. I want them in my pasta, not as an appetizer!

Ok now I feel the need to make my chicken meatballs (with sundried tomatoes in them, yum!).
Old 01-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #1581
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:
Give it a shot. Remember: onion rings, vanilla coke, pot roast. That's all you need to know. Oh, and maybe a dessert sans popcorn.
I may go chery coke over vanilla coke or ..... I found out Sci Fi has "adult " shakes.... Wonder if PT has them too? A little liquor with my shake??? MMMMM

No popcorn with my dessert.

Quote:
I think it's a texture thing with Judy....doesn't like the bread crumbs and stuff. For a while when I was a kid, I was on a meatloaf sandwich kick. My mom would have to make one about once a week for my lunches. (Don't tell anyone, but I was a little spoiled!)
Bread crumbs and ....stuff.... That is what I am unsure of. And I am all about the texture thing... I get that.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK May '15 EEC- July'15 Big Birthday blowout ............ Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #1582
norybell
DIS Veteran

Hi, Glennbo! Happy New Year! Merry Christmas! Glad to see I've made it back to the Dis, after my long hiatus, just in time for your TR to make it to WDW!

I love the way you have a non-park first night ritual, I think that's really a great idea. And it looks like your first official day is going retry great so far (despite the weather, and the audition, and the lack of sandwiches).

I'm hoping to keep up from here on out...we'll see!
DISNEY TRIPS: 1977 - Vacation Villas 1978-1992 - many trips, all Vacation Villas or Treehouse Villas 1996 - Saratoga Springs August 2001 - YC May 2004 - YC April 2009 - YC October 2009 - CR/YC May 2010 - POR/GF/BWI October 2010 - POR/CSR/Poly January 2011 - CBR/WL April 2011 - Pop/GF/BC May 2011 - Disneyland GCH September 2011 - Poly October 2011 - AKL January 2012 - CR February/March 2012 - POFQ/Poly August 2012 - GF/BWI May 2013 - GF/BWV Sept 2013 - BCV Sept 2014 - ???

TRIP REPORTS:Nory Report III: In the Third Person! Nory and Simba CRAWL through the World: A Sept/Oct 2013 PTR Fleeing Wedding Showers for Epcot Flowers It's a SO-LO trip report!

norybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #1583
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

I think I have to chime in with the healthy foods !! I don't like them !!I can handle turkey or chicken hot dogs, turkey breakfast sausage , but ground turkey in most all my recipes is awful !! I refuse to make my shephers pie with anything but ground beef!! And yea I know originally it was ground left over meat which was usually beef !!Turkey burgeers and bacon should be banned !!! As for Tofu , I get shudders !! Do I like chicken and turkey you betcha !! Sorry all you healthy eaters !! Not this ol' lady !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #1584
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Bread crumbs and ....stuff.... That is what I am unsure of. And I am all about the texture thing... I get that.
Well with your allergies, STUFF is not a good thing at all. I'm all about texture too, huge part of my meatloaf avoidance for most of my life.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #1585
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
I think I have to chime in with the healthy foods !! I don't like them !!I can handle turkey or chicken hot dogs, turkey breakfast sausage , but ground turkey in most all my recipes is awful !! I refuse to make my shephers pie with anything but ground beef!! And yea I know originally it was ground left over meat which was usually beef !!Turkey burgeers and bacon should be banned !!! As for Tofu , I get shudders !! Do I like chicken and turkey you betcha !! Sorry all you healthy eaters !! Not this ol' lady !!!
It does not always work to substitute, that's for sure. You have to be careful and sometimes modify other ingredients to make it work. It can make a huge difference based on what kind of ground turkey you use, if it's all breast meat, or a mix. That said, I respectfully disagree on turkey burgers, love me a good turkey burger. Turkey bacon needs to be cooked crisp or it's worthless and tofu is officially the nastiest thing on the planet as far as I am concerned.

I fully support your stance on Shepard's pie.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:28 AM   #1586
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Speaking of meatballs - has anyone else tried the IKEA swedish meatballs? We just had them last week and YUMMO! You have to get the packets of cream sauce to make with them. Tasted just like grandma's. I will def. be doing that one again.
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #1587
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:
Well with your allergies, STUFF is not a good thing at all. I'm all about texture too, huge part of my meatloaf avoidance for most of my life.
STUFF is what usually gets me. That and sauces, spices and assorted pinch of this and that not listed or is part of the " why on earth is THAT in there".

Lately even a salad is getting complicated. They are using the greens "mix" which will have carrots in it and not list it since it is greens.

I find out the hard way. Need to just ask for Caeser greens with a house salad.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK May '15 EEC- July'15 Big Birthday blowout ............ Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #1588
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It does not always work to substitute, that's for sure. You have to be careful and sometimes modify other ingredients to make it work. It can make a huge difference based on what kind of ground turkey you use, if it's all breast meat, or a mix. That said, I respectfully disagree on turkey burgers, love me a good turkey burger. Turkey bacon needs to be cooked crisp or it's worthless and tofu is officially the nastiest thing on the planet as far as I am concerned.

I fully support your stance on Shepard's pie.

Glad yoy agree on TOFU !!!! I do make chilli with ground turkey at work and it's passable, but at home, no way would they eat it. Maybe the turkey burgers I have tried are the problem
[/B][/URL]
[
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

Old 01-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #1589
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Ok, you can all make fun of me, but I do like tofu - IF it is well prepared! Like in that one thai restaurant where I Katharina and I used to plan our first WDW trip over lunches, they had a fantastic thai curry with tofu!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #1590
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Ok, you can all make fun of me, but I do like tofu - IF it is well prepared! Like in that one thai restaurant where I Katharina and I used to plan our first WDW trip over lunches, they had a fantastic thai curry with tofu!
You can have my share of Tofu
[/B][/URL]
[

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: