Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #1546
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Walkie-talkies at the table

When I last left you, we were heading through the raindrops to our lunch reservation, which was at 50’s Prime Time Café. For us, it was a choice between that or Sci-Fi Dine In, but with seven of us, we couldn’t have all been seated in a car together at Sci-Fi. Plus, I knew they’d have some good “home cooking” types of things to choose from at 50’s that Poppy would like.

We got to 50’s early, and I couldn’t resist taking a picture of the cast member checking us in, he was so George McFly looking. They had more nerds back in the 50’s.

The kids hadn’t shown up yet, so we waited in the living room.

The kids arrived right on time and we were seated shortly thereafter. Cousin Tiffany was our server and was really good. She was attentive and timely whenever we needed something and gave us a nice amount of the grief that they’re famous for at 50’s Prime Time. In fact, she got on my case pretty quickly saying, “Why’re you playing with your walkie talkie at the table?”, when she caught me looking at my iPhone.

When Tiffany took our drink orders Poppy ordered a root beer, which the girls thought was pretty funny since that’s what James likes too. (They’re soooo alike!) You may even remember the “More root beer!” chapter from my last trip report. The rest of us got vanilla cokes. They’re such a treat since we can’t find them anywhere else. Judy said that she drank way too many of them.

One thing we discovered is that 50’s Prime Time has discontinued serving sandwiches. We asked Tiffany about that and she said that they recently went to one menu for lunch and dinner. That made the decisions tougher for the girls since they were planning on ordering the sandwich they’d gotten the last time.

Judy ordered some onion rings as an appetizer, remembering how good these were the last time we ate here. And what’s better than an order of onion rings?

Two orders of onion rings! (I think Poppy and Gram put one on their order.)

Another time when Tiffany came out I almost spilled my drink, trying to hide my walkie-talkie. The kids thought that was pretty funny.

As we were waiting for our food, some Streetmosphere people came through. They must use the restaurant as their entrance to the park. The last guy stopped to talk to us for a little bit. He said to Lauren, “You’ll make some young man very unhappy someday.” It was hilarious.

Then he gave James a fake hundred dollar bill and said, “Here’s a hundred dollars, give it to your driver tonight -- it’s the least you can do.”

It was fun to have them come through and joke around.

Then our meals arrived. James wanted to get the fried chicken and we knew the portions were big, so I split it with him. I figured I’d also get some other scraps, here and there…and I was right, Judy gave me some of hers.

Judy got the pot roast. This is so good.

Poppy’s meatloaf. He likes anything he can put ketchup on. He and Gram shared this.

Marlene got “Cousin Barry’s Olive Oil Poached Salmon”. She liked it, and said that the salmon was kind of dry but the mushrooms made up for it -- they were really, really good.

We don’t have a picture of Lauren’s meal, and can’t remember what she got, but it was probably one of these dishes or I would have taken a picture of it.

I went with James to the restroom and had to laugh at this sign. I saw them at every park throughout the week. Thank you Brawny, for the hand washing tips.

When I got back to the table, a couple of people wanted dessert, so we got two of these brownie sundae things to share. It was a brownie with ice cream, hot fudge, M&M’s, and caramel popcorn.

Here’s Marlene and Lauren with their dessert.

I tried to take a picture of Poppy and Gram with their dessert, but with nothing in the center of the frame, the camera didn’t focus correctly or get the exposure right.

As I was lining up the camera for another try, Tiffany walked by and totally photobombed the shot. I knew she was doing it of course, but Poppy and Gram were totally oblivious. I loved it! And why shouldn’t our cousin be in the picture?

I had a couple of bites of the dessert and it was pretty good, as you’d expect from a brownie and ice cream. I didn’t get any popcorn in my bites though -- that was a combo I wasn’t interested in trying.

With that, an enjoyable meal at 50’s Prime Time was behind us and it was time to get back into our ponchos and see what else we could do in the Debby-drenched park.

Up next: More DHS classic rides and attractions
Link to next chapter

Last edited by glennbo123; 01-11-2013 at 10:04 PM.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #1547
MEK
DIS Veteran

Zero Judys - Is that possible?

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #1548
MEK
DIS Veteran

I love PTC and that food looks so amazing!

George McFly! Good One!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #1549
BMC423
DIS Veteran

Does partial Judy count?? I'm almost sure that's her arm and hand (with the fork in it) in the Pot Roast pic!
2012 - Caribbean Beach 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
BMC423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #1550
BMC423
DIS Veteran

I think there are more nerds now they just call themselves hipsters .

The food does look really good! I don't know about that dessert though, I would probably be hyper for days!
2012 - Caribbean Beach 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
BMC423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #1551
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

2 Judy's! (Pot Roast picture and Dessert...I think that's her hand on the drink with the first shot of Poppy & Gram)

We love 50s Prime Time. It looks identical to my Aunt & Uncle's kitchen!
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #1552
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

2 Judys
1 in the pot roast picture and then with Poppy and Gram eating dessert that is her hand....
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #1553
marvali
DIS Veteran

Agree..............two Judy's!

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
marvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #1554
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Zero Judys - Is that possible?
It is possible, but not this time. And you were first to see the new post too. Drat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC423 View Post
Does partial Judy count?? I'm almost sure that's her arm and hand (with the fork in it) in the Pot Roast pic!
Yes, partial Judy's count. You're right, that is her arm and hand in the pot roast pic. But, as Yoda once said, "there is another....".

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
2 Judy's! (Pot Roast picture and Dessert...I think that's her hand on the drink with the first shot of Poppy & Gram)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
2 Judys
1 in the pot roast picture and then with Poppy and Gram eating dessert that is her hand....
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
Agree..............two Judy's!
Yep, two Judy's! Kelly was first. Congrats Kelly! Good eye.

Updated Scores:
Marvin - 10 Judy-sighting wins, 4 Eagle Eye points
Pat - 6 Judy-sighting wins, 1 Eagle Eye point
Mark - 4 Judy-sighting wins
Rosie - 3 Judy-sighting wins, 1 Eagle Eye point
Dee - 3 Judy-sighting wins
Dan - 3 Eagle Eye points
Kelly - 3 Judy-sighting wins
Magdalene - 2 Judy-sighting wins
Katharina - 2 Judy-sighting wins
Jenn (elphie101) - 1 Judy-sighting win, First Subscriber Honors!
Tanya - 1 Judy-sighting win
Molly - 1 Judy-sighting win
Kathy - 1 Judy-sighting win
Mary Ellen - 1 Judy-sighting win
MissLiz - 1 Judy-sighting win
Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #1555
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I love PTC and that food looks so amazing!

George McFly! Good One!
I was tempted to rap on his forehead and say, "Hello, McFly. Anybody home?"

Quote:
I think there are more nerds now they just call themselves hipsters .
And they've built some of our biggest corporations!

Quote:
The food does look really good! I don't know about that dessert though, I would probably be hyper for days!
I guess that's the beauty of sharing a dessert with a few teenagers....there's no risk of getting more than a couple of bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
We love 50s Prime Time. It looks identical to my Aunt & Uncle's kitchen!
Believe me, it's not too far off from Poppy and Gram's either! In fact, I almost put in the post that we had an end table like that 2-tier one that Gram is sitting next to in the "living room" waiting area. Only ours was a blonde veneer, which was probably even more of a 50's fad.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #1556
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

The food at 50's is so good and so hard to choose from! Both the chicken and the pot roast would be my favs! Love how Cousin Tiffany photo bombed your pic Sharing dinners and desserts is a perfect idea considering the portion sizes at Disney are so huge!

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
heaven2dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #1557
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Looks like a fun lunch! Funny about the waitress photobombing with Poppy and Gram! I've noticed alot of the menus are the same for lunch and dinner, and the prices are the same too - so basically you don't have a lunch menu. So many changes.
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #1558
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Popcorn in the ice cream that just sounds horrid. Sorry.

What a fun update and very good to know (although a bummer) that they've gone to just one menu. That's tough as those are big meal items for lunch, too big for me anyway. We were there in 2009 and it was definitely a different salmon.

Too funny on the meatloaf. Santa brought Evan a Disney Cookbook in his stocking (recipes from WDW, DCL and Adventures by Disney) and he made us the 50's PTC meatloaf for dinner last night!

It was quite tasty. It was pretty funny though, I was looking at it briefly and noted that at the bottom of the page it said MGM Studios! Checked the original printing and yep, 2004. Made me smile as that's when we went there for the first time.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #1559
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Your meal at 50's Prime Time sounds really good! Too funny about Tiffany's photobomb!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #1560
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
In fact, she got on my case pretty quickly saying, “Why’re you playing with your walkie talkie at the table?”, when she caught me looking at my iPhone.
That's some fancy looking walkie talkie!!!

Quote:
Another time when Tiffany came out I almost spilled my drink, trying to hide my walkie-talkie. The kids thought that was pretty funny.
Some people just don't learn the first time...

Quote:
As we were waiting for our food, some Streetmosphere people came through. They must use the restaurant as their entrance to the park.
Wow, I've never heard of this before. Sounds like a fun experience for you guys though!!

Quote:
I went with James to the restroom and had to laugh at this sign. I saw them at every park throughout the week. Thank you Brawny, for the hand washing tips.
I'm really glad they have those tips there. If they didn't have that helpful information, I might try to dry my hands with soap.

Quote:
As I was lining up the camera for another try, Tiffany walked by and totally photobombed the shot. I knew she was doing it of course, but Poppy and Gram were totally oblivious. I loved it! And why shouldn’t our cousin be in the picture?
Gotta love having a fun CM serve you! Did she say anything about taking pictures at the table though???

Quote:
I had a couple of bites of the dessert and it was pretty good, as you’d expect from a brownie and ice cream.
One of nature's perfect combinations

Quote:
I didn’t get any popcorn in my bites though -- that was a combo I wasn’t interested in trying.
I'm kind of with you on that one...
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: