Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
DisneydaveCT
DIS Veteran

Adding a P&S to my bag

After much thought, I am planning on adding a point-&-shoot to my arsenal.

I have my DSLR with multiple lenses, which I enjoy using but I am getting tired of carrying it into the parks. I have taken plenty of scenic shots around WDW and other places that I have visited for both business and pleasure, and I will continue to do so in the future.

But now I am seeking a P&S for those times that I just want a camera for simple shots of people enjoying their surroundings. I want a fairly thin camera so it will fit in my fanny pack. Price range...around $150. Again, not looking for anything too fancy just something to take decent shots when I don't want to bring my normal DSLR kit.

I have some thoughts of what I like after doing my research, but would be interested in hearing the recommendations of my fellow Disboards members.
A Very Memorable Magical Moment: Scoring a Hole-in-One at Disney's LBV #7, 9/25/06

FUTURE TRIPS: November 18-25 at OKW & SSR. .
PREVIOUS TRIPS: 25+ trips to WDW since 1972 with stays at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Boardwalk, Carribean Beach, Contemporary; Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, Old Key West, Polynesian, Port Orleans, Saratoga Springs Resort, & Villas at Wilderness Lodge.
DisneydaveCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
hakepb
DIS Veteran

In general, I don't think any $150 camera would be worth pulling out vs an iPhone. (unless you really need the slight extra zoom, or you are getting a hot deal on a $300+ camera. I went wih a cheap camera for a few months but after getting the iPhone I never had any desire to pull out the cheap PnS with its grainy photos and slow performance unless I really needed that 4x zoom)

But if your going for slim, then I would also go for waterproof so you don't have to worry about the occasional shower or water ride, plus that camera would be able to at least do underwater shots that your DSLr cannot do for added versatility.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
DisneydaveCT
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the feedback.

I am not a fan of a camera phone. I have not been impressed with the IQ that I have seen with smartphones. Most of the photos that I have seen tend to be soft, compared to similar shots taken with a P&S at the same time.

The waterproof feature might be nice, but I don't see the need. I have never had any problems taking my DSLR on water rides, and have never felt a need to take a photo while swimming in a pool.

I am just looking for a basic P&S to capture shots of family and friends enjoying themselves. Anything more complicated, and I will likey want to use my DSLR.
A Very Memorable Magical Moment: Scoring a Hole-in-One at Disney's LBV #7, 9/25/06

PREVIOUS TRIPS: 25+ trips to WDW since 1972 with stays at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Boardwalk, Carribean Beach, Contemporary; Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, Old Key West, Polynesian, Port Orleans, Saratoga Springs Resort, & Villas at Wilderness Lodge.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
hakepb
DIS Veteran

This might be a good place to start:
Not many photography sites review the lower end cameras
http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowl...0-cameras.html

And by now some of the sub $250 cameras may of dropped by now.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
DisneydaveCT
DIS Veteran

This morning I have read some reviews of some pretty good cameras in the $175-225 range.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
jakoky
DIS Veteran

Hi there, I recently "downsized" my camera and have to say I absolutely love my small,big zoom camera! I know it is a little higher than your price range, but worth taking a look at. It is the canon sx 260, the 240 is cheaper with no gps, but I got my 260 cheaper than the 240 on a great sale. It has 20 times zoom, an auto setting that is actually great( I am one that usually chooses P,A or S, which I can still choose in this camera.) A lot of the smaller cameras I looked at didn't have the manual settings which I wanted. The pics quality is great and I am very happy with most of my low light pics! Definately a fun little camera. Happy shopping!
DEC 04-WDW-9 nights at the POP ...first disney experience for dh and all my kids...i had been to DL 8 or 9 times by the time i was 13 and finally after a long wait,at 35, i got my next disney experience...it was sooooo worth it
MAY 06-DL-10 nights at the CCI
SEPT 07-DL-10 nights at the HOJO
MAY 09-DL-10 nights at the HOJO
MAY 12-DL-10 nights at the HOJO

Next trip to DL....FEB 2015!!!
jakoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

I think if you want a quality P&S that will last more than a few years, you should prepare to spend around $200-300. I've had good luck with Nikon Coolpixes in the past. My favorite is the aw100 that I gave my sister (it's waterproof and shockproof - which are features you might not need) - takes beautiful pictures. I also got my boyfriend the Nikon Coolpix s60 a few years ago (they've since come out with newer versions) which is touchscreen and takes good pictures.... I take it with me on vacation when I don't want to carry my dslr.

It took these photos:

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
feezle
Mouseketeer

We are in the same boat. We have a low end Canon EOS and I'm tired of carrying it around the parks. It is difficult to handle such a camera while chasing a 2 year old and a 3 year old. We will most likely still take the DSLR but not take it with us into the parks every day...and when we go to the waterparks, we will definitely leave it at home.

I have an old Casio EX-V8 that I have had forever. I've taken good pics with it, and it will probably be my beater that I throw in my pocket.

Thinking about getting something waterproof/shockproof. My 3 year old loves taking pictures and I would feel much better giving her that instead of the DSLR.

Jul '96-Off Prop| Aug '04-Off Prop| Sept '06-SSR | May '08-POP| Sept '10-POR| Nov '11-POP | Aug '12-POP/Off Prop| OCT '14-Off Prop
feezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #9
SplashMo
DIS Veteran

I really like the Canon S95. It is in the $295.00 range. I like it a bit more than the S100. Really nice camera.

Sugestions for lower price cameras:

www.kenrockwell.com
www.dpreview.com
Old 08-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
Jskbr
Earning My Ears

Have you thought about the I think its Sony and olympus that have the point and shoots with the bigger lenses. Maybe nikon too
2010 Carribean Beach
2012 Offsite condo Celibrity Resorts
countdown to Dec 2014 pop? AOA?
Jskbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: